Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you go to Mass regularly?

Options
  • 11-05-2012 11:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭

I used to when I was a pup but now it's only once a year at Xmas. I find it all rather boring if I'm honest. Do you be going regularly?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

If by "to mass" you mean "drinking", then yes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No, it's for religious nutters and really, really, really old people (100+). People who go to mass now are just looking for favours. I long for the day that masses are all cancelled due to lack of interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

If a Catholic close friend/family member married or died, I'd go to their wedding/funeral. That's about the height of it. Was last at a funeral around three years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Regular means re occurring at fixed times. The only time I would ever enter a church is for a funeral, that's the only time you don't have a choice really. So yes I do go regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Funerals, weddings - that's it. Don't do the whole Easter/Xmas thing anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

I have friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Every day,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sarky wrote: »
    If by "to mass" you mean "drinking", then yes.
    Well 'mass' generally means a gathering of people.....so as long as you're not drinking alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Dudess wrote: »
    Every day,

Sarcasm detector just exploded... :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Whats with all these insipid threads lately? Eh, Im not complaining. Beats moaning and complaining I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

no i dont agree with cults

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

I bring my kids most weeks

The way I see it, is If I have gone to the effort of having them christened and going to an r catholic school then why wouldn't I bring them to mass?

It's a nice quiet hour once a week, time to reflect and be quiet in myself. Relaxing for me. I find it therapeutic

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Every sunday morning at 11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭le la rat

Last time I went I dropped Jesus out f my mouth and on t the ground

Quality wrote: »
    It's a nice quiet hour once a week, time to reflect and be quiet in myself. Relaxing for me. I find it therapeutic

Apart from the whole stand up, sit down, now kneel, up again bull**** and the murmuring crowd that reminds me of death, yea it's quiet...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It all depends on how often someone I know is getting married or has died.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

le la rat wrote: »
    Last time I went I dropped Jesus out f my mouth and on t the ground

hes had worse days sure didnt the general nail him to a snooker table ...........maybe im getting my stories mixed up;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭Old Tom

Do you be going regularly?
    What for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Would never set foot in a church again...

besides, I think if I did, everyone in there would turn and look at me like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭J Cheever Loophole

Yes - I go regularly, and I don't regard myself in anyway holy or particularly good living.

I have kids that I bring to Mass and I insist they go. If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.

Masses are very well attended in Armagh (although have still suffered significant decline over the years), and I have to say I feel a sense of belonging by going, altough I would prefer not to go into the spiritual side of things here.

Seeing the Catholic Church and Catholics individually suffer so grievously at the hands of loyalist paramilitaries over the troubles was another reason why I was determined to attend - people up here were killed for their faith and I never lost sight of that.

The Catholic Church is under attack again, as evidenced by so many posts and threads on these boards, but an awful lot of that is very much self inflicted. However my attendance at Mass was never to worship any priest or bishop, and the wrongs of so many has not impacted on my faith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So you're just going to spite the prods? Awesome.

Yes - I go regularly, and I don't regard myself in anyway holy or particularly good living.

I have kids that I bring to Mass and I insist they go. If, when they reach the age of 16, they feel that it is not for them, then I'm happy for them to bow out.

Masses are very well attended in Armagh (although have still suffered significant decline over the years), and I have to say I feel a sense of belonging by going, altough I would prefer not to go into the spiritual side of things here.

Seeing the Catholic Church and Catholics individually suffer so grievously at the hands of loyalist paramilitaries over the troubles was another reason why I was determined to attend - people up here were killed for their faith and I never lost sight of that.

The Catholic Church is under attack again, as evidenced by so many posts and threads on these boards, but an awful lot of that is very much self inflicted. However my attendance at Mass was never to worship any priest or bishop, and the wrongs of so many has not impacted on my faith.

So are you holy or not? sounds like your a cultural catholic forcing it on your kids for the sake of sectarianism..

Sarky wrote: »
    So you're just going to spite the prods? Awesome.

What's it to you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

How do you mean self-inflicted? It tends to be because of not being a believer and/or objecting to wrongdoings by the organisation surely.

What's it to you?

You're helping to keep ****ty sectarianism alive, so it means something to all Irish people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What's it to you?

Forcing kids to go because it's tradition/expected/the family way is just a tad silly. Doesn't happen so much in Ireland (ROI) tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

The benches are hard, the priests are middle aged out of touch men engaged in homiletics who try and tell you how to live your life while you parrot back inane mumblings about something that cannot possibly be substantiated and that rests on claims of phenomenon that break the laws of physics all so you can alleviate anxiety and fear.

How do you mean self-inflicted? It tends to be because of not being a believer and/or objecting to wrongdoings by the organisation surely.

The actions of many within the church have caused the attacks on the church. A lot of these attacks /criticisms are justified.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I think he meant the reason for the RCC coming under attack largely came about by the actions of certain members of the RCC hierarchy.

Advertisement