Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dr Ferrari's Camper Van (off-topic discussion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

awec wrote: »
    This isn't really off topic discussion (or maybe it is! :) ) but I don't think it warrants an entire thread.

I am cycling along the N11, on the cycle lane (for those that don't know it, the N11 for the most part is 3 lanes of traffic each direction and a central reservation with dedicated cycle lanes on each side of the road).

I want to turn right. What is the correct way to do this? The issue of course is getting across 3 lanes of traffic to the outside lane on a really busy road. For what it's worth, I believe the limit on the N11 is 60 in the bits I'm concerned with, so traffic is pretty fast moving (I think it goes up to 100 in parts? ).

Are you even able to turn right? :pac:

Sort of new to cycling and this has me curious, thankfully I haven't encountered this situation yet (as luck would have it I've always been turning left off the N11). Don't want to get flattened!

If there's a right, you'll need to get some speed up and indicate. Then go for it one lane at a time while watching traffic coming from behind. Be very clear in your signals.
    If traffic moves too fast for all that you could go for a box turn. Basically this involves keeping left and joining with traffic entering the road from the left while they're waiting at their lights.

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

RT66 wrote: »
    If there's a right, you'll need to get some speed up and indicate. Then go for it one lane at a time while watching traffic coming from behind. Be very clear in your signals.
    If traffic moves too fast for all that you could go for a box turn. Basically this involves keeping left and joining with traffic entering the road from the left while they're waiting at their lights.

Do you mean as I'm going along, waiting for the straight ahead lights to turn green and then instead of going straight ahead just go the 20 or 30 yards and pull in to the left in front of the cars at the lights on the left hand side, waiting to cross the road?

That's ok to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

awec wrote: »
    Do you mean as I'm going along, waiting for the straight ahead lights to turn green and then instead of going straight ahead just go the 20 or 30 yards and pull in to the left in front of the cars at the lights on the left hand side, waiting to cross the road?

That's ok to do?

Yes, and yes. On very fast roads it can be your only safe option.

• Administrators Posts: 53,370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Thanks, that'll work perfect on cross roads and for right turns where there is no corresponding left I'll just cycle on to the next left turn and do the U-turn job! :)

Cheers guys!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Ordered a chain catcher from canyon on the 23/4.
    Received an email this morning saying my order has been processed and will ship in 48 hrs!
    What are they doing, making them one at a time? :mad:

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

cV0cdl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

From http://www.dublincycling.ie/, new RSA video.

rsa_vulnerable_video_0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

That ad hits just the right tone. It's not hysterical and might make people think more about other road users. Hopefully it'll get a lot of airplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rofo wrote: »
    That ad hits just the right tone. It's not hysterical and might make people think more about other road users. Hopefully it'll get a lot of airplay.

True, but it's hardly selling cycling as something pleasant.

"Take your bike to work, you'll end up bedraggled and high on death-dodging adrenaline".

The RSA's glass is perpetually empty. I bet their after-work parties are great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Thank God she was wearing hi-viz or she'd be dead........

incidentally what was casting call for this "one normally looking girl and 2 gormless looking men required for TV ad / girl must have own hi-viz......"

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Lumen wrote: »

"Take your bike to work, you'll end up bedraggled and high on death-dodging adrenaline".

The RSA's glass is perpetually empty. I bet their after-work parties are great craic.

I dunno. One the one hand it's nice to see the RSA do something actually addresses those who cause accidents rather than those who are the victims of them (e.g. cyclists please wear hi-viz etc. etc.)

On the other, sometimes I wonder if these ads try too hard to tug on the emotions, which can sometimes have the opposite effect.

After witnessing the general ignorance non-cyclists can have about cyclists, first on After Hours and later on Politics, this week, I'd like to see an old-school, instructional ad, narrated by a man with a 1950's BBC voice informing motorists on how to drive near cyclists.

And for good measure, I'd like a similar ad instructing cyclists on how to cycle their bloody bikes properly.

I'd like to see an old-school, instructional ad, narrated by a man with a 1950's BBC voice informing motorists on how to drive near cyclists.

And for good measure, I'd like a similar ad instructing cyclists on how to cycle their bloody bikes properly.

http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/monkey-tale-1952

Yes! If that man is still alive I want him as the voiceover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Junior

How hard is it sometimes for people to actually tell you what the f*ckin problem is, so you don't have to spend half an hour fannying around trying to replicate their stupidity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

gottaStudy.png

I'm not well versed on the RSA at all, but I imagine 'selling cycling as something pleasant' comes way down the priority list. Safety is in the name and I'm guessing they are just prioritising their goal of protecting road users. I hope they do it using the most effective means possible, whatever that may be. We all need other road users to stop scaring the bejesus out of us (and worse) when we're cycling. I've had several close calls in the last couple of months and I don't even commute.

I'm not well versed on the RSA at all, but I imagine 'selling cycling as something pleasant' comes way down the priority list. Safety is in the name and I'm guessing they are just prioritising their goal of protecting road users. I hope they do it using the most effective means possible, whatever that may be. We all need other road users to stop scaring the bejesus out of us (and worse) when we're cycling. I've had several close calls in the last couple of months and I don't even commute.

Many more deaths are caused by lack of exercise than by people being killed whilst exercising.

Many more deaths are caused by lack of exercise than by people being killed whilst exercising.

No argument there, but that doesn't mean the road safety message should be diluted. It's the RSA's job to do what they can to promote road safety.

This may very well be a dumb question but - Is there an authority whose job is it to promote cycling as a healthy & enjoyable sport, pastime & means of transport? I haven't a clue whose responsibility that is (if anyone's).
    Dept of Health, Environment or Transport? Cycling Ireland? I don't remember ever seeing any public-servicey-type communication actually promoting cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I've had several close calls in the last couple of months and I don't even commute.

Lots of people say this kind of thing and it doesn't tally with my experience at all. I cycle every day and nothing remarkable seems to happen.

I must buy a helmet cam. Those guys seem to have all the fun.

• Advertisement

Lots of people say this kind of thing and it doesn't tally with my experience at all. I cycle every day and nothing remarkable seems to happen.

It happens in fits & starts for me anyway. Nothing will happen for ages, then twice on the same ride, some dopey fkers will try their very best to kill me :pac:

No argument there, but that doesn't mean the road safety message should be diluted. It's the RSA's job to do what they can to promote road safety.

That is arguably a sub-optimisation problem, like with helmets.

The RSAs job is to improve road safety, but this carries the assumption that their activities don't increase deaths from other causes in the process.

If their campaigns cause an overall negative effect then they are worse than useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

That is arguably a sub-optimisation problem, like with helmets.

The RSAs job is to improve road safety, but this carries the assumption that their activities don't increase deaths from other causes in the process.

If their campaigns cause an overall negative effect then they are worse than useless.

Sub-optimisation problems are just the worst.

It's difficult to imagine any depiction of careless road users on the RSA's part being more positive and still having the type of impact required to stay with people for longer than 90 seconds. If there was a two-pronged approach with the Dept of Health (I have decided it should be them, I'm sure they'll do a terrific job) doing the positive promotion, well then, problem solved.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I must buy a helmet cam. Those guys seem to have all the fun.

Rainy days increase the chances of something dramatic I think.

If all else fails, just re-focus and zoom your camera so it looks like every car is going up your nose, shout alot more, and post-production some squealing brakes into the sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Rainy days increase the chances of something dramatic I think.

If all else fails, just re-focus and zoom your camera so it looks like every car is going up your nose, shout alot more, and post-production some squealing brakes into the sound.
    Reminds me of my surprise that sound engineers drop in prepared sounds of galloping hooves into televised horse racing, and the sound of oars in water into televised rowing. Apparently the real audio contains too much extraneous, non-evocative sound.

Mentioned in this podcast:
    http://99percentinvisible.org/post/11383184222/episode-38-the-sound-of-sport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Was my sons confirmation today.
    There were a couple of kids form the 'My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding' type of family.
    To say the clothes both the child and their sponsor wore was simply disgraceful and I am by no means a prude.
    But to say they were dressed like low grade hookers is not understating it.
    But I had to laugh at the aul one in front of when they were going up to the altar
    She blessed herself and mouthed 'Jesus,Mary and Holy Saint Joseph'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Accidently bought an "Inferno" spicy piazza by accident in Lidl. Bloody heck, its hotter then any pizza I've ever eaten. Milk necessary!

Half an hour later and my mouth is still burning. :/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

BX 19 wrote: »
    Accidently bought an "Inferno" spicy piazza by accident in Lidl. Bloody heck, its hotter then any pizza I've ever eaten. Milk necessary!

Half an hour later and my mouth is still burning. :/

Excellent pizza if that's what you're into! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,050 ✭✭✭buffalo

When I walk into work, the amount of cyclists on the footpad infuriates me. Especially the ones who take the corner at North Strand Rd/Seville Place at speed. I'm tempted to wait the other side with a big spike. Then when I cycle in, like this morning, the amount of bloody stupid things done by cyclists still makes me angry. I think I'm anti-cyclist.

Also, I think I've found a runner for most unnecessary piece of cycling infrastructure in Ireland: http://g.co/maps/3kpzz And it's probably what encourages so many people to mount the footpath, but then not leave it when the "cycle track" ends.

*sigh* okay, that's all the frustration out of the system for now. Carry on, nothing to see here!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement