Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deal Breaker in a Relationship

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

Must be on the same level intellectually

This. By a million. A mental connection is so unbelieveably important. I don't believe a relationship with someone smarter than or less smart than me would work at all.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Nothing petty about it! Its is rude and maddening. Someone that eats like a horse trying to eat an apple through a letter box is just disturbing.

Close your mouth when you chew, do not smack your lips together and for the love of god if you have to eat with your mouth open try not violently exhale whilst making the om nom nom noises.

I really ****in hate it but don't come across it often. I've never asked anyone but certain ways things have worked out suggests I'm not a loud eater. :P

Have to say the number of instant nos for drug use is surprising. I suppose a dealbreaker for me would be someone who was completely against drug use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Another thing that would be a deal breaker in a relationship for me is that whole I cant live with out you, and your the meaning of my life.
    If a woman told me I am the meaning of her life, I would run for the hills because my life means something else :)

For me a relationship is all about growing together, and getting the most out life and have the ability to be able to be upfront and honest with out hurting the other person intentionally.

I have been in relationships where I felt like I was a prisoner and had no life of my own because she had the script written before it started, and with out realizing it I was acting out the part and being assimilated into something I wasn't and that was my fault not hers.

Im 36 years of age I have one Kid who I love and we have a good relationship.

I am quite happy to be single because its a great life and some people say they dont want any more kids well I can identify with that and its not that I am selfish its just that I am honest and wouldn't bull **** a lady and tell her I want kids too, because I find her extremely attractive.
    Its best she finds a man who can give her what she needs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Main one: Allergic to animals or just plain dislikes them.
    Obviously the allergic one aint the persons fault but I aint giving up no cats or dogs for anybody. A person who doesn't like animals?:confused: Not somebody I want in my life.

Passive Aggressive people. They are the worst and most evil kind!:mad: They would be dumped on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Northclare

Yeah I came across the passively aggressive people I think they believe they can control you by rejection LOL

The very moment that starts I nip it in the bud and if its not resolved I walk away.

But I know some men and women who put up with passively aggressive people day in day out.

I'm like Vidal Sassoon I just wash n go......

Maybe I'm the one with the problem :S

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

deal breakers for me are:

illegal drug use
    smoking
    heavy drinking

controlling/possessive behaviour
    jealousy

wanting children

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Hmmm, I think if somebody didn't challenge me to be a better person for myself and for her it would be a deal breaker.

Ideally, somebody with a intellect on a par with me (not a lot) and who is a woman who can be an equal.

Oh and, forgive me here, but I just couldn't go out with , "a fcukin jaysus, ya alrigttttt there now". I'm no D4 head but that rough cut Dublin accent is appalling! :o

Northclare wrote: »
    Yeah I came across the passively aggressive people I think they believe they can control you by rejection LOL

I never quite understood the term passive aggressive! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

py2006 wrote: »
    Oh and, forgive me here, but I just couldn't go out with , "a fcukin jaysus, ya alrigttttt there now". I'm no D4 head but that rough cut Dublin accent is appalling! :o

I absolutely love that accent. :o I even moved to D3, and also got me a nice Duuuub boyfriend, in the hope of developing the accent ... it's still very much a WIP though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭nua domhan

1. Not allergic to Duct tape.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

Has to be willing to accept that she will always be 2nd to the football team I support :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Just to pre-empt any possible attempts at smart arsey "humour",we all enjoy a joke however anything derogatory or any other nonsense will result in swift and brutal justice.

;)
    nua domhan wrote: »
    1. Not allergic to Duct tape.

See above.

I absolutely love that accent. :o I even moved to D3, and also got me a nice Duuuub boyfriend, in the hope of developing the accent ... it's still very much a WIP though. :(

Haha, I think its only non-Dubs and more specifically non-Irish that find that accent attractive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 714 ✭✭✭PlainP

thebuzz wrote: »
    Has to be willing to accept that she will always be 2nd to the football team I support :)

I take it your single then :P

No seriously though I don't think you should go into a relationship with a list of what aspects you want or don't want in a person. If you like someone you spend some time with them and this way you find out what they are like and if you don't like them you obviously leave.

Going into something with preconceived ideas means you could be missing out on some of the best experiences of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No threats of suicide/self-harm. I used to self-harm and never threatened anyone or anything like that.

Someone with short-term or ongoing mental health issues - I'd try to be supportive, but I'd have little time for threats or manipulation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

For me the most obvious and important one is trust, once that is broke there is no going back IMO.

I don't buy into they must have ambition, thats bull to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

Haha, I think its only non-Dubs and more specifically non-Irish that find that accent attractive.

I'm a Dub. Fairly neutral accent though I think. But I absolutely love the Dublin accent. I couldn't go out with someone with a posh accent, it would wreck my head. Neutral/Dub accents ftw! :D

So as I saw mental health was mentioned there by a poster, would that be a deal breaker for most people? Depression, bipolar etc.?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

So as I saw mental health was mentioned there by a poster, would that be a deal breaker for most people? Depression, bipolar etc.?

This is a very tough one. I have to say I'd be wary getting into a relationship with someone who had serious mental issues. I wouldn't completely rule it out though, as each situation is different and everybody handles their issues differently.
    I suppose I'd weigh up the situation on its' own merits, though I know I'd find it difficult to be a crutch for somebody. It might sound selfish, but I know what it's like to be around someone who went through an extended rough patch, and as much as I was supportive and helped all I could, it totally drained me and by the end of it I was no use to them or to myself. If you care about someone, it's all too easy to take their problems on as your own.

Then again, if you're in a relationship, you have to take the rough with the smooth, so like I said, it's a tough one!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

It's a good question.

I have a couple of very close friends who suffer from depression. As far as I'm concerned, mental illnesses are not really all that different to any physical illness, and obviously could develop in any one of us at any time.

I would, however, probably be slightly wary that there'd be a chance I could end up making things worse for the person (e.g. if things didn't work out between us.) So, I guess I'd have to be pretty sure that the illness was stable and under control before getting involved with the person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

Lies, I hate them. They are just plain bad.

Bad communication skills is also a deal-breaker. How else can you work through problems?

I want to get married and have kids, I also have high standards and am quite private so these values would have to be shared.

If someone is bad in bed... I just couldn't be with them! And they have to have an epic sense of humour and make me feel special every day.

• Advertisement

I'm a Dub. Fairly neutral accent though I think. But I absolutely love the Dublin accent. I couldn't go out with someone with a posh accent, it would wreck my head. Neutral/Dub accents ftw! :D

Well neutral accent yes. I'm not taken with the falseness of the D4 accent either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

I never quite understood the term passive aggressive! :(

Neither did I until I dated someone like that! As a result I didn't realise that it was passive aggressive behaviour/comments and stayed with him for good enough bit of time. It's kinda hard to describe but check the Wiki description of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I just want to say, as some one who suffers from depression and manages it pretty well its unfair to think of it the way its been thought of..

i go through my hard times and easy times except when i drop I drop.
    While the idea of some supportive is awesome, the other issue I have is that, if we were to break up... Well then thats gone and were do I lean on, my friends ?

what Im trying to say is as some one who has depression you can talk to your friends and family till your blue in the face. But its up to me to pull my self out, no amount of support can help with that. It's up to you to sort it.

But being honest if i had a gf I think I'd probably work harder, not to allow my self to have dips and lows and be more focussed because, there some one else to think of.

Snowie wrote: »
    I just want to say, as some one who suffers from depression and manages it pretty well its unfair to think of it the way its been thought of..

i go through my hard times and easy times except when i drop I drop.
    While the idea of some supportive is awesome, the other issue I have is that, if we were to break up... Well then thats gone and were do I lean on, my friends ?

what Im trying to say is as some one who's had depression you can talk to your friends and family till your blue in the face. But its up to me to pull my self out, no amount of support can help with that.

But being honest if i had a gf I think I'd probably work harder, not to allow my self to have dips and lows and be more focussed because, there some one else to think of.

Snowie I'm sorry if what I said about depression seemed insensitive, that wasn't my intention at all. The way you speak about it shows that you seem to be very much aware of how to deal with what life throws at you and have the skills to cope with it.

The point I was making was just from past experience, and that it's too easy to get too involved. I thought I knew best, and how to help, when in fact I knew sweet f all of what they were going through. I suppose now, having gone through that and know the mistakes I made, I'd be better able to deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Sauve wrote: »
    Snowie I'm sorry if what I said about depression seemed insensitive, that wasn't my intention at all. The way you speak about it shows that you seem to be very much aware of how to deal with what life throws at you and have the skills to cope with it.

The point I was making was just from past experience, and that it's too easy to get too involved. I thought I knew best, and how to help, when in fact I knew sweet f all of what they were going through. I suppose now, having gone through that and know the mistakes I made, I'd be better able to deal with it.

Don't be silly :) your cool i agree on how self in dulgent some one can be I just wanted to offer a different perspective, and my choice od words can kinda be really crappy sometimes...:o

I do think you have to be very careful when dealing with depression but I think theres a line as you so well put it... me personally id rather a kick up the arse and told to cop on..then the oposit...

sorry if i made you feel bad it was more a personal based post then a over outlook :o

Not at all - we're cool ;)

Yeah everybodys' different, how we all deal with things.
    At the end of the day, depression itself wouldn't be a dealbreaker, but how the person deals with it would be a big factor...

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

Just an interest in something. Hate when people dont have any interests.....

"Im a girly girl".........actually means......"I dont do anything"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,886 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Just a few big ones...

The person has to care about politics and have the roughly the same political leanings as myself and I mean agree on the big stuff, not absolutely everything. I couldn't spend time with someone whose apathetic about what's going on around them. As Skunk Anansie said, "Everything's fooking political!!".

He can't be a snob. A trait I despise.

He must be kind and look out for others....for obvious reasons, I think.

Ability to act the gob****e. Being able to laugh together is essential.

Everything else (bar the usual psychopathic behaviour) I can probably handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,264 ✭✭✭mood

For me it would. I've already someone in my life with such issues. They won't get or stick to professional help and i am their only really support. There is no way I could take on all that again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

No matter how much I was mad about someone, I couldn't take on someone elses children. It would be an immediate deal breaker. Maybe that's because I'm not interested in kids at all right now, so that could change in the future, but I'd doubt it.

I couldn't see myself being with someone with serious, long term mental health issues. I just don't think I'd be tolerant enough after a while being totally honest, probably a flaw in myself more than the other person.

A homebird. Someone who wouldn't ever even consider the prospect of moving away, moving somewhere different, even for a few months! Was dealbreaker in my most recent relationship.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement