Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

RTE news announcement is pretty confusing.

They say that more than 800,000 have paid or registered, and 62 million euro payment has been received.

So, why has 80,000,000 payment not been received?

Figures don't add up.

obviously of the 800,000 paid, or REGISTERED, 200,000 give or take registered as exempt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Le_Dieux

Freddie59 wrote: »
    http://www.independent.ie/national-news/hogan-wont-pay-penthouse-charge-3067684.html

Mr Hogan added that he was "annoyed" that details of the outstanding service charges had been obtained by this newspaper.

"I am entitled to a certain amount of privacy," he said, adding: "This has nothing to do with public services."

Sweet Jesus. Is this man for real? Unhappy with the service? From a Government which is borrowing €400m a week, while:

* closing wards in hospitals.

* paying nuts salaries to bankers.

* levying extra tax on the very people who can turn the economy around.

* paying 80% of the Education budget in salaries.

* paying 70% of the HSE budget in salaries

* hemorrhaging money as it it was going out of fashion in the SW system.

* keeping 2,500 people in Montrose when around 800 would do the same job.

And then has the balls to complain about "value and service"? FFS.

Having just read this item, I am flabbergasted by the 5th paragraph ( very short):

"Would you pay a charge if you were unhappy with the service?" he asked.

I live in an estate that the builder went to the wall 2 weeks ago. Our CC claim that when we ( the residents assoc.) emailed during this past week as to why we are not exempt based on ( among other topics) the fact we are an abandoned estate ( category 4), they claim this is the first they heard oh the developer going to the wall, yet it was published in the vision-net website a month ago that he was in trouble. We now have a derelict site where there were around 50 houses supposed to be built. This site is now surrounded by a fence which has gaps in it, and in other parts is falling down. BEHIND the fence are dug foundations with cement floors, thus if there was a deluge water could accumulate, thus giving the ( heavens forbid) possibility of a tragedy like what happened in another ghost estate a few weeks in ( I think) Mullingar.

SO, I ASK YOU HOGAN..HOW DO YOU EXPECT ME TO PAY A CHARGE WHEN I AM UNHAPPY WITH THE SERVICE?

Apologies for the caps...JUST FUMING!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

Serious question people, do you guys actually think you won't have to pay the household charge? The majority have payed it.....despite earlier claims that the majority wouldn't pay. The government can and will eventually take the charge from directly your income, be that from wages or social welfare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

Ghandee wrote: »
    RTE news announcement is pretty confusing.

They say that more than 800,000 have paid or registered, and 62 million euro payment has been received.

So, why has 80,000,000 payment not been received?

Figures don't add up.

obviously of the 800,000 paid, or REGISTERED, 200,000 give or take registered as exempt?

Because they've only received 135,000 full payments the rest are only registrations and partial payments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

TURRICAN wrote: »
    http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0401/over-800-000-register-for-household-charge.html

Just read how much money they took from us.
    If that doesn't dishearten you, what will

Sure what they take in on this will pay about 1 sixth of the teachers allowances for this year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

barrackali wrote: »
    Serious question people, do you guys actually think you won't have to pay the household charge? The majority have payed it.....despite earlier claims that the majority wouldn't pay. The government can and will eventually take the charge from your income, be that from wages or social welfare.

The majority have not paid. It maybe the case in 7 days but as of today that statement is incorrect.

barrackali wrote: »
    Serious question people, do you guys actually think you won't have to pay the household charge? The majority have payed it.....despite earlier claims that the majority wouldn't pay. The government can and will eventually take the charge from your income, be that from wages or social welfare.
    How is 800,000 registered including waivers, if that's correct, a majority if 1.63 million were laible?

gerryo777 wrote: »
    How is 800,000 registered including waivers, if that's correct, a majority if 1.63 million were laible?

Maybe he works in the Department of Finance? You know the department where they discover billions under the sofa.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭barrackali

See today's Irish Times, in addition there are thousands of payments yet to be processed.

Heard this on the radio this morning.
    A figure of 0.035% per €100,000 is being leaked as the charge for next year.
    So if you have a house worth €300,000 the tax next year will be €1,050 per year plus water charges, plus refuse collection.
    And if we are at the bottom now regarding house prices, there's only one way that's going to go in future years.

• Advertisement

So if you have a house worth €300,000 the tax next year will be €1,050 per year plus water charges, plus refuse collection.

I figured they would come up with something like this. The big question is what is the value of your house? I don't think that method will work. Because although you might value your house at €300,000 you might only get half of that. Banks are not lending and this is driving the value of property down.

They should be taking size of house, size and location of plot, proximity to services and transport etc into account. Value of house is too subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

We get nothing for this charge. If you live in other countries you get something, we get nothing....my estate isnt finished, (we have to pay for everything through our residents association) but we dont get a waiver, my water is a disgrace, full of lime and runing my shower and other appliances, yet they will expect me to pay for that in the near future...I would have no problem paying a household charge if I was getting something for it !!! They are getting 50% of my income anyway, I think thats more than enough

This is Ireland I'm afraid. People are happy to pour water into a bucket with a large hold in its base.
    solerina wrote: »
    We get nothing for this charge. If you live in other countries you get something, we get nothing....my estate isnt finished, (we have to pay for everything through our residents association) but we dont get a waiver, my water is a disgrace, full of lime and runing my shower and other appliances, yet they will expect me to pay for that in the near future...I would have no problem paying a household charge if I was getting something for it !!! They are getting 50% of my income anyway, I think thats more than enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

The Crab wrote: »
    I didn't go from 30k to 100k. I was making the point that other users think people on anything less than that are lazy. How dare anyone say all minimum wage workers are lazy. I know plenty on minimum wage who are very hard working but never got the chances in life.

To the user who says very few talented people would be left in the country. There are solutions to that problem.

I make no apologies for being extremist. I'm died in the wool communist. The sad thing is you don't realise your own extremities, naturally the opposite side to me but what you're basically suggesting is poor people equate to lazy people and deserve to struggle through life. That's extremist in any language.

If everybody adopted your philosophy, nobody would do anything in this country. There would be no reward for effort.

Frankly, IMO it's your freeloading mentality that has the country in the mess that it currently is.

Regrettably you seem to be a member of an ever increasing pool of people who don't grasp the 'user pays' ; 'creator earns' concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

And if we are at the bottom now regarding house prices, there's only one way that's going to go in future years.

I presume that that is meant to be 0.35% (I think your numbers correlate with that).

Genuinely don't think the govt will have the balls to go for it to just that extent within 12 months (& I reckon they will move this in increments and develop a system where people can pay it monthly), but it is a reasonable estimate of where this tax source needs to ultimately go. At least it would then deal with about 10% of our spending gap.

Supported by a general reform of public expenditure and also a reform of the ridiculously high entry points in our current IT system, they really would be on the right track to sort this mess out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Phil Hogan is a gas man,he really is.

Actually hes rather deveous, sly and cunning,trying to keep that under wraps from the public.

So he feels an unjust has been done to him??

Now you know how alot of here in Irelabd feel......Phil

I was actualy laughing out loud while reading that Independent story about him not paying his 4k in charges on his luxury Allgarve holiday home.

Its just unbelieveble,isnt it??

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭bernardo mac

Is there one person on the Marian Finucane Show today [discussing economy, household charge etc. ] in financial bother?

That cant be right,or can it?

That the charge for next year.....1,050 euro???????:eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Are you going to tell us who you heard it from and where it was supposed to be leaked from?

Just to clarify, my first post this morning regarding paying this sham tax was an april fools, as anyone who knows me here has probably guessed.

There's not a chance in hell of me paying it.

Big phil looks great in the indo this morning, if that story is true then I find that his position is untenable and he should resign immediately.
    He is incompetent anyway as his handling of this sham tax has shown.

DON'T REGISTER / DON'T PAY.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

paddy147 wrote: »
    That cant be right,or can it?

That the charge for next year.....1,050 euro???????:eek::eek::eek:

It must be right. An anonymous person on the internet heard it on a radio.

dvpower wrote: »
    Are you going to tell us who you heard it from and where it was supposed to be leaked from?

NO.

MagicSean wrote: »
    It must be right. An anonymous person on the internet heard it on a radio.
    ... and then refused to provide details.

Next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Honk_If_You Hate Dubs

Anyone who pays this charge is completely spineless.

You won't get a better opportunity than this to capitalise on the government's incompetence.

I'd bet my last shilling most of those coughing up the cash thus far are Dubs!:mad:

dvpower wrote: »
    ... and then refused to provide details.

Next.

Can't remember the guys name to be honest, I was driving at the time.
    Perhaps I should have rang up and asked just in case DV needed to know.
    It sounds plausible to me though.
    As I said, I heard it on the radio.

I'd bet my last shilling most of those coughing up the cash thus far are Dubs!:mad:
    The Red C poll a few weeks ago showed rural folk more likely to pay.

Not that it's of much relevance.

I think big Phill will have to go and resign now,if the Indo story is completely true.

How can he stand up yesterday and tell the Irish people that we have to pay the 100 euro charge,and threaten us all with all the idle threats,when he wont pay and refuses pay for his luxury holiday villa in Portugal.

That he is entitled to some privicy and he is annoyed that the newspaper broke the story.

Hes only annoyed that he got found out and its now out in the public domain.

It must be a very tough life and existance on a mininsters salary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭ROFLcopter

Can't remember the guys name to be honest, I was driving at the time.
    Perhaps I should have rang up and asked just in case DV needed to know.
    It sounds plausible to me though.
    As I said, I heard it on the radio.

I heard similar on newstalk the other morning on the way to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭Cesium Clock

62 million collected, approx 103 million still outstanding.

great success. :D:D:D

• Advertisement

ROFLcopter wrote: »
    I heard similar on newstalk the other morning on the way to work.
    Did you hear that the figure has been decided and was leaked or did you hear someone speculating about the figure? Big difference.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement