Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

emo72 wrote: »
    yea, i dont think the government has a choice. they have to be seen to implement it. it would suit them to blame a mass boycott. unfortunately for our government they will need to seek re-election.

this is all pissing against the wind anyway. 160 million is a drop in the ocean compared to over 3 billion that has to be cut in the next budget. its an impossible task.

The 160 million quickly turns into real money with the rollout of a progressive property tax, and that is a requirement to ensure we have the leverage to worm out of whatever aspects of the bailouts we can. Turning an impossible task into an achievable one requires that we're seen to build a sustainable revenue base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.
    No doubt it has the organizers coming up with a massively inflated figure to the news organizations and the Gardai.

Roverek wrote: »
    You will :-),thank you.

:rolleyes: Ah well.

Roverek wrote: »
    And that is the problem. They are too lazy to do anything properly. Property tax is fair if it depends on the value of the house.
    Motor tax depends on the size of the engine it is not a flat charge!

I think everyone knows by now that a tiered property tax is what we'll be getting soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

I just hope they pass the full cost of collecting on to those who pay late.

Also when they have the maths sorted out on how to charge it next year this will be based somewhat on size/value and will increase to approx 1000 yoyo's for a 3 bedroom house.

• Advertisement

Bullseye1 wrote: »
    Link doesn't work.

Nor does the premis. It's a bit late for snowballing.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,492 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

dvpower wrote: »
    No doubt it has the organizers coming up with a massively inflated figure to the news organizations and the Gardai.

The numbers protesting against the Govt policies are always played down.
    I saw several protests in the last few years while in Dublin and took a rough count and they were always bigger than the figures given by R.T.E. and the Gardai. It's probably a ploy to downplay the protest.

I just hope they pass the full cost of collecting on to those who pay late.

Also when they have the maths sorted out on how to charge it next year this will be based somewhat on size/value and will increase to approx 1000 yoyo's for a 3 bedroom house.

Troll

mikom wrote: »
    Lol at the irony.
    Put that on a postcard and stick it in FG Phils slot why doncha......

I didn't vote for for FG - whatever promises they made. I'm an equal-opportunity disbeliever of guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    The 160 million quickly turns into real money with the rollout of a progressive property tax, and that is a requirement to ensure we have the leverage to worm out of whatever aspects of the bailouts we can. Turning an impossible task into an achievable one requires that we're seen to build a sustainable revenue base.

Yea, by taxing everyone to the hilt and destroying the domestic economy.

Over a year in and FG/LAB have seen the unemployment rate continue to rise and the domestic economy worsen.
    Great job lads, keep it up.

• Advertisement

I saw several protests in the last few years while in Dublin and took a rough count and they were always bigger than the figures given by R.T.E. and the Gardai. It's probably a ploy to downplay the protest.

No need to downplay the protest - it was a damp squib - even if you buy into a figure of ten thousand (which I don't).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

FG/Labour are already destroying the domestic economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

alastair, its not possible. if 3.5 billion is taken out of the economy this year and then the same the following year, well then its over. the economy will not bear it. the economy is a basket case, im in business, i speak to colleagues and the word on the street is very bad. many shops have gone bang, many more will go too. nobody has money to spend, the economy will not grow.

people will not be paying the property tax when its introduced, by necessity, not by choice. what then? jail? FFS they cant even keep murderers in jail.

it wont be an issue to a lot of people then anyway, cos they will all be on waivers due to being unemployed.

No need to downplay the protest - it was a damp squib - even if you buy into a figure of ten thousand (which I don't).

Close the curtains lads, pretend they're not there, la la la la la la la la......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

WASP0 wrote: »
    Looks like the numbers protesting at the Ard Dheis may have been higher than reported by RTE.

Hopefully this has a snowball effect and more people get out and protest, it will certainly make Kenny and co. sit up and take notice
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/protest-group-claim-10000-attend-household-charge-march-545750.html

If we can't trust RTE to report the correct figures than we can definitely rely on the protest organisers to give us the accurate number. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

gerryo777 wrote: »

Over a year in and FG/LAB have seen the unemployment rate continue to rise and the domestic economy worsen.
    Yup!
    Enda: How can we boost domestic spending and protect jobs
    Gilmore: Lets increase vat to 23%!
    Enda: Great idea Eamo, we'll go with that then!

gerryo777 wrote: »

Their solution to unemployment is emigration. "It's a lifestyle choice....we endorse".

I don't really care as the MILLION who didn't pay is more than enough of a protest and must be really worrying for Enda as it seems to be getting a lot of media attention in Europe and the U.S.
    Jesus he's in trouble if the Referendum goes south too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Whats the figures now then?

Absolutely. It seems to evaded some people.
    alastair, its not possible. if 3.5 billion is taken out of the economy this year and then the same the following year, well then its over. the economy will not bear it. the economy is a basket case, im in business, i speak to colleagues and the word on the street is very bad. many shops have gone bang, many more will go too. nobody has money to spend, the economy will not grow.

people will not be paying the property tax when its introduced, by necessity, not by choice. what then? jail? FFS they cant even keep murderers in jail.

it wont be an issue to a lot of people then anyway, cos they will all be on waivers due to being unemployed.

• Advertisement

My point is that, while the existing debt commitments might well be unattainable, the ability to walk away from some of them requires that we put our domestic taxation on a solid footing. I run a business too - I'm obviously aware of the state of things, but throwing hands up in the air isn't reqally an option, nor is a pretense that we can sustain the borrowing overhead we have.

lividduck wrote: »
    Yup!
    Enda: How can we boost domestic spending and protect jobs
    Gilmore: Lets increase vat to 23%!
    Enda: Great idea Eamo, we'll go with that then!

Brilliant, when lenihan did that the opposition were up in arms!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

I'm also in business and can verify that, the vat rate increase is the last straw.
    You cannot create economic growth by reducing spending, its just not possible. Money being spent in the economy creates a multiplier effect, but the geniuses in government just dont get that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭DoesNotCompute

SnowY32 wrote: »
    Protest is at least the length of oconnell street quiet incredible :eek:

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/protest-group-claim-10000-attend-household-charge-march-545750.html

The CAHWT is reporting around 10,000 people showed up (optismtic guesstimate)

Pretty pathetic, given that around 1,000,000 households are boycotting the charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Why should anyone accept the rough count of an individual over the consensus figure of the media and the Gardai.?

What reasons would the media and Gardai have for underestimating the number? The organizers have an obvious interest in overestimating it.

I don't really care as the MILLION who didn't pay is more than enough of a protest and must be really worrying for Enda as it seems to be getting a lot of media attention in Europe and the U.S.
    Jesus he's in trouble if the Referendum goes south too.

I'm loving the capitalisation! I believe we've dipped below the magic MILLION point now though.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/protest-group-claim-10000-attend-household-charge-march-545750.html

Pretty pathetic, given that around 1,000,000 households are boycotting the charge.

How many turner up to support the tax?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Its the numbers not registering thats the functional figure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

• Advertisement

You don't have to leave your chair to protest and people know that. Many wouldn't have the money to travel to Dublin.
    Unlike the F.G. people they are not on allowances.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement