Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

paddy147 wrote: »
    Sure you have a got a bloody clue,with all your posting and pedal pusghing for Enda.

"Lies make baby jesus cry".

Eh Enda???:rolleyes::rolleyes:

So how many lies has Enda told us then since last year??

All that he is doing is for the good of this country??

When allmost every other economist says its not and loading us with so much debt that we will never escape it.

Bailout number 2 and number 3 will be on the way soon,

Will Enda finally cop on when he is lynched by angry protestors when they quite possibly storm the Ard Fheis tonight or else Leinster House???

Oh dear.

The 'ranting' has started.

Off you go shopping Paddy, leave the serious debate for the grown ups please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭lugha

Sacramento wrote: »
    Just to ask a question and excuse my ignorance but if enough people don't pay the charge it won't be cost effective to make them pay it through legal means yes?
    Unfortunately, pursuing those that choose to break the law, even if they think their actions are justified, is an expensive business.
    So as some people suggest you will see the government attempt to make up the shortfall another way most likely through increasing other tax.
    If the campaign against this charge succeeds to an extent that the charge is dropped then those that paid will be refunded. But I don’t think that will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

lugha wrote: »

If the campaign against this charge succeeds to an extent that the charge is dropped then those that paid will be refunded. But I don’t think that will happen.

There will be no refunds even if the charge is dropped.

Biggins wrote: »
    ...Won't that mean that people who have paid the tax will essentially be covering the cost, at least partially, for the people who for whatever reason didn't pay it?

In case you don't know already, the government is taking 170 million yearly from funding for the councils - and already by this tax, asking the public to cough up 160 million of it!
    They are doing right now what you say, some of the public might have to do later!

But that will happen regardless of how many people pay, I'm asking how do people think the government will directly make up for the shortfall of non payment?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

If that's the case, why are those living in unfinished housing estates exempt from paying? Will they not benfit from libraries and parks?

The obvious answer to that question is, if they are not expected to pay, then the local council does not have to feel obliged and go into those estates and sweep the unfinished roads or fix the unfinished lighting, so essentially they can continue ignoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭SnowY32

Protest is at least the length of oconnell street quiet incredible :eek:

paddy147 wrote: »
    Feck Enda! Feck FG! Enda's arse! blah blah ...
    Paddy, could I make a mad, wild, elephant guess that you might be an old FF boy? Silly question of course, as you will have to deny it.

But I am struck very much by an impression from your posts that you are more concerned with attacking FG that you are with attacking this charge.

Of course anyone on the no side will have some harsh words to say about FG but you seem to me to be unique in that you are far more focused on them than you are on the arguments against this charge. They get a mention in pretty much every one of your posts.

Sure, I suppose there are few comforts left for the soldiers of destiny, shoudn’t begrudge ye I suppose! :P:P:P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

But that will happen regardless of how many people pay, I'm asking how do people think the government will directly make up for the shortfall of non payment?

Your asking a question of the posters here that can't see in to the minds of the two faced devious pieces of crap, whom will later come up with another insidious charge/levy/tax/revenue enhancement or whatever confuted new PR name they can dream up next to call it.

...But one thing for sure, they will come up with more items for you to be taxed upon.
    It just remains to be seen what they will incredulously invent next behind their closed doors in FG and Labour HQ!

hondasam wrote: »
    There will be no refunds even if the charge is dropped.
    Source?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

The protest is passing me on the quays... it's MASSIVE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Is there a live stream of the protest anywhere?

tigger123 wrote: »
    The protest is passing me on the quays... it's MASSIVE!

Ah Shur let them away with it.

A bit of howling at the moon never hurt anyone, and might make them feel a bit better I suppose by releasing some frustration.

Bet if you asked 10 of them what we should do instead, you'd get 10 different answers.

Dunno but all these protesters must be good at hiding!

See:

* http://www.camvista.com/ireland/dublin/oconnell.php

No mention on RTE again, no mention that close to 60% of people are not going to pay the charge, no mention of thousands of people on the streets protesting. Anyway, those people should "get a life"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,449 ✭✭✭tigger123

I'm in work so I can't look it up but I know there is a live camera on top of the large 'Heinekn' building on O'Connell Bridge, I think it's a weather cam, it's on some Irish website. If you find that you'll be able to see the march as it turns from O'Connell Bridge onto the quays.

tigger123 wrote: »
    The protest is passing me on the quays... it's MASSIVE![/

haha im delighted the now we are protesting, no way rte can ignore the size of this, time to get the eurocrats out! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TURRICAN

No mention on RTE again, no mention that close to 60% of people are not going to pay the charge, no mention of thousands of people on the streets protesting. Anyway, those people should "get a life"

same tactics used by dictatorships,,dont show them that stuff,they dont need to know that etc etc
    Bastards rot in hell

Biggins wrote: »
    Dunno but all these protesters must be good at hiding!

See:

* http://www.camvista.com/ireland/dublin/oconnell.php

gone down the quays ;););););););) KNOW YOUR DUBLIN

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

There's plenty of news about it on RTE.

next to nothing on rte.ie

are u in the rte canteen talking about it or something :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Merch

I just looked and there's nothing online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Austo77

I own a place jointly with my brother. I registered the other week.

After getting our wires crossed, so did he.

Both registrations were accepted with seperate DD mandates for the same property.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Here's a load of webcams - http://www.dublincity.ie/dublintraffic/

There seems to be some activity in Guild Street / Seville Place atm (bottom of page)

SnowY32 wrote: »
    gone down the quays ;););););););) KNOW YOUR DUBLIN

I reckon so.

There is enough web cams around Dublin on the net alone that with a bit of searching, people might be able to find them! :D

http://www.nci.ie/ispy/

http://www.emigro.com/network/webcam/ireland/dublin/index.html

http://www.meteosurfcanarias.com/en/001665-webcam-weather-live-beaches-leinster-north-wall-quay.php

http://www.camvista.com/ireland/dublin/riverliffey.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Was talking to a neighbour this morning who had agonised over the last few weeks on whether or not he would pay. Told me that last night he finally decided to go and pay today for what might,just might,be the greater good of the country coupled with mainly that he had never disobeyed a law in his life. But all this changed rapidly this morning when he heard Alan "Arrogant" Shatter state that people should "get a life".
    This is a disgraceful comment from a minister who presides over the Dept. of Justice, in a week where Limerickman Steve Collins and his family have departed Ireland after years of threats and imtimidation. A week where 3 Dublin thugs accost an innocent Polish man on his way to work,kick him to death,yet 2 of them walk away with a manslaughter sentence. And a minister who is paid €120,000+ annually by the taxpayer.
    Just goes to show once again how far people like Shatter,Hogan,Kenny and indeed the majority of TDs inside Leinster House have become.
    BTW, my neighbour now says that hell will freeze over before he will pay a single cent regardless of the consequences.

Austo77 wrote: »
    I own a place jointly with my brother. I registered the other week.

After getting our wires crossed, so did he.

Both registrations were accepted with seperate DD mandates for the same property.

Can you not cancel one of the dd's?

We should be at the protest considering we are giving out about the charge it everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭MrMatisse

Armchair revolution

pathetic

MrMatisse wrote: »
    Armchair revolution

pathetic

Kinda have to agree with you here, we should be in Dublin protesting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭emo72

anyone got pics?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement