Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I believe the Paddy Power Red C poll is showing 61% of people willing to pay the charge.
    Assuming half of those who say they won't pay are keyboard warriors and blowhards, it's looking like compliance rates will be over 80% without too much hassle.

Seems like the huge majority claimed by the 'don't register, don't pay brigade' has been abducted.

You obviously don't like being on a losing team Franco? :rolleyes:

Stop kidding yourself.

Like earlier when you claimed 30% was a success?

If I had a child that came in from school and told me they got 30/100 in their English exam, I'd certainly not be scanning university websites full of optimism, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Noreen1 wrote: »
    I'm being charitable.

I've noticed that you have a tendency to attack the poster, rather than answer questions that you would rather not answer.

Hence my "great re-phrase" was an attempt to get you to answer a clear, concise - and polite - question, that you have (unsurprisingly) avoided answering by becoming aggressive, and blustering.

Really, I expect a better quality of response than:
    Can't you read?

or
    Great re-phrase.

How about a polite reply to the question?

We wont think too badly of you if you don't know the answer.:D:D

Well, your original question was "source for 30% who've paid" -which I answered.

Your "rephrase" was how many registered and how many paid, to which my answer is "read the link I helpfully posted in my answer to your original question".

Have you another rephrased question, or is that the lot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Ghandee wrote: »
    So chucky,

*sigh*
    You obviously missed where I said I would pay for a system like rates, how would this still amount to very little taxes?
    A workable model in your opinion is charge them for all the services they're already paying for, then, on top of that, make them pay a grand or so extra, for which you will receive nothing, zilch, nada, the centre of a donut in return.

Can't you see Joe and Josephine public have no more money to give? My above post that you quoted , clear as crystal explained how I (speaking for myself here) would endorse a system like rates, where we get something back. I won't hand over a grand or more to a govt for nothing who'll give me nothing back for it in return.

And on a closing note, for all the people 'looking forward' to a property tax placed on their family home, will you be all smug when it's far more expensive than what the people in the r North pay for rates?

(let's be honest, there ain't much we pay less for compared to people in the north, why break the habit of a lifetime eh?)

How do we pay for this free education and healthcare? Magic beans maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Just pay it you tax dodgers.

no.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Is the whole protest against the household charge an attempt to give the government a black eye or does the “Looney left” have an issue with the principal of taxing property assets. If so then they need to revise their Karl Marx books fairly promptly.

Surely equitable taxation of property assets should be a pillar of left wing policies like in other countries? I just do not understand the left wing objection to the charge.

Where do they (Joe Higgins, Richard Boyd Barrett, Ming, Seamus Healy, Shinners) stand on the principal of taxing property on an equitable basis? Surely a property tax is better than more PAYE and also discourages asset hoarding that happened during the celtic tiger days

And yes I accept the 100euro is not equitable however we have been assured that it will be sorted by next year.

Had this conversation today with my sister-in-law, who rents. She is fuming at the thought the landlord might pass the fee onto her. In the end, we both agreed that the charge is very unfair, as it targets home owners who use the same facilities as those who rent and those in social housing. If anything, there should be a community/council charge, but this should include a full breakdown of costs for each community.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

I believe the Paddy Power Red C poll is showing 61% of people willing to pay the charge.
    Assuming half of those who say they won't pay are keyboard warriors and blowhards, it's looking like compliance rates will be over 80% without too much hassle.

Seems like the huge majority claimed by the 'don't register, don't pay brigade' has been abducted.

I guess we will see on Sunday if we reach 80%. if we do I will happily admit I was wrong.

Rates! Jesus man.

Ghandee wrote: »
    Rates! Jesus man.

Hang on, so you expect rates to make up enough money to cover bin charges, lower VAT, free education, free healthcare, lower motortax, no emergency call out charges, watercharges and no toll roads? Lol - that's going to be on very expensive rate. Goodluck getting everyone to pay that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Well I paid it in full. I'm not a tax dodger.

if the government turned around tomorrow and said that everyone over the age of 18 had to pay them €5000 a year, no exceptions, would you still be of the same opinion?

Hang on, so you expect rates to make up enough money to cover bin charges, lower VAT, free education, free healthcare, lower motortax, no emergency call out charges, watercharges and no toll roads? Lol - that's going to be on very expensive rate. Goodluck getting everyone to pay that.

My point being.

The yes camp consistently comparing this tax to the rates in the north.

If they can offer us the same service, fine. Bring it on.

If they can't? Shut up about it. Your not comparing like for like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,389 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Government are probably going to track the non-payers via their ip addresses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

It mightn't cost so much if we take the 'bertie allowances' off the education budget. €505 million per year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Funny, given that 30% have registered to "pay it".:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Do you agree or not with the PRINCIPLE of taxation on property assets?

This question was not directed at me, but I do agree with taxing property assets; As long as it is not the PRINCIPLE residence, or in other words, the family home.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    It mightn't cost so much if we take the 'bertie allowances' off the education budget. €505 million per year.

Well some of that has been cut. Even if you cut it all there still another €8bn needed for Education every year. I'm the rates will easily make up that figure though.

tin79 wrote: »
    I guess we will see on Sunday if we reach 80%. if we do I will happily admit I was wrong.

Who said anything about Sunday?

I don't think compliance will be anywhere near 80% by Sunday.
    I do believe a huge majority will pay within the first 12 months when penalties are low and they realise there's no chance of the charge being scrapped.

Even if you cut it all there still another €8bn needed for Education every year.

And 80% of that is for wages. The root of the issue. Pay them what the country can afford and that will be a start.

I do believe a huge majority will pay within the first 12 months when penalties are low and they realise there's no chance of the charge being scrapped.

You keep telling yourself that Frankie.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

*lapping of waves*

*wooden pole thonks against boat body*

*straining sounds as boat is pushed out*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Stop changing your story, last week you predicted we would all pay by the 31st.

• Advertisement

Freddie59 wrote: »
    You keep telling yourself that Frankie.:D

http://www.scribd.com/doc/87212706/pr29670-1-PP-RedC

Read it and weep Freddie.

Stop changing your story, last week you predicted we would all pay by the 31st.

Really?

Could you post up when I said this please?

Can't seem to remember ever posting that.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭apache6

Tales from a Dreamworld of Fantasy and Delusion.

mikom wrote: »
    *lapping of waves*

*wooden pole thonks against boat body*

*straining sounds as boat is pushed out*

When's the last time you posted something useful mystic meg?

Oh yeah, I remember now......
    mikom wrote: »
    Yawn, it'll be about 25% take up like I predicted about a month ago.
    The cheerleaders hearts are racing today though it seems.

*shakes head sadly*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Noreen1

Well, your original question was "source for 30% who've paid" -which I answered.

Your "rephrase" was how many registered and how many paid, to which my answer is "read the link I helpfully posted in my answer to your original question".

Have you another rephrased question, or is that the lot?

Ah, now Francis - surely you don't have to resort to misquoting me!:D:D

I'll even re-post my original question for you. (The part you seem to have missed is the second sentence, btw).
    Source for "30% have paid", please?

Note I said "Paid" - not "registered".

You posted a link to RTE - who, conveniently, rather like yourself, do not seem to understand the difference between "Paid" and "Registered".

I find it interesting that sources outside of RTE, are saying that the figures are for those who have registered.

Source:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17554168

Given the very obvious ah, possibility :rolleyes: of bias in RTEs reporting, I will ask you again:

Can you provide a source that verifies how many of those who have registered are actually liable to pay the charge?

Otherwise, your assertion that 30% of people have paid is rather questionable.

Ah, now Francis - surely you don't have to resort to misquoting me!:D:D

I'll even re-post my original question for you. (The part you seem to have missed is the second sentence, btw).

You posted a link to RTE - who, conveniently, rather like yourself, do not seem to understand the difference between "Paid" and "Registered".

I find it interesting that sources outside of RTE, are saying that the figures are for those who have registered.

Source:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17554168

Given the very obvious ah, possibility :rolleyes: of bias in RTEs reporting, I will ask you again:

Can you provide a source that verifies how many of those who have registered are actually liable to pay the charge?

Otherwise, your assertion that 30% of people have paid is rather questionable.

Last time I'm going to reply to you Noreen.

Here's my post again
    RTE reporting around 30% have paid by yesterday evening and still 3days to go!

It seems pragmatism had trumped attempts by the loony left to stir up anger and confusion.

Where are you having a problem in seeing my 'source' for the 30% paid.

If you don't believe RTE, take it up with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

lugha wrote: »
    Why for example should I have to pay tax on my car (to the tune BTW that will far exceed the cost of maintaining the road network) and despite paying a tidy sum when I purchased the car, and expect my home to be exempt?

The tax on our cars goes towards maintaining the roads, which is an on going expense. On the other hand we maintain our own homes, at no expense to the exchequer. In fact they get more tax on the monies spent in that maintenance.
    We have accepted that nursing home care should be paid from your assets so what is this excuse of old age in a plush area all about as a reason for not paying for the privilege of living in that area.

They paid for the privilege when they bought the house, that is why house prices vary from area to area, with post tax earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Slick50

joolsveer wrote: »
    I received a Final Reminder for the Household Charge in the post this morning. I have a receipt in my email account showing I paid the charge on 9 January 2012. What should I do?

Maybe you should pay it again, the country needs the money!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

I paid it today :(

I'm not happy paying it, but I honestly couldn't afford fines or court appearances.

BUT:

I did write a letter on the back of the form saying that I can't wait to see the improvements in my area when the local authorities start using this money. In my letter I went into detail about the litter being dumped in the river, the broken street lights, etc..

Not that anyone will read it but it made me feel a bit better.

I would be tempted to write to them in 2 months from now and ask what their plan of action for my area is, with all those wads of cash they will have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭elaverty

foxinsox wrote: »
    I paid it today :(

I'm not happy paying it, but I honestly couldn't afford fines or court appearances.

BUT:

I did write a letter on the back of the form saying that I can't wait to see the improvements in my area when the local authorities start using this money. In my letter I went into detail about the litter being dumped in the river, the broken street lights, etc..

Not that anyone will read it but it made me feel a bit better.

I would be tempted to write to them in 2 months from now and ask what their plan of action for my area is, with all those wads of cash they will have.

You paid it///they wont give fcuk what you said or think in 2 months time...They now have your money and your details and you can sing how you like,,,Be prepared to pay a whole lot more in years to come,,,start saveing now..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement