Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM Class of 2011- the continuing challenge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Cutex

Thanks Ecoli-will do that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Hi Folks

I am gonna be away for the next 2 weeks so I said I would put the next two weeks training up early

|Mon|Tue|Wed|Thur|Fri|Sat|Sun|
    |Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 6x600m (.37 on Garmin) @ 10k pace with 2 min recovery between reps , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

|Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 20 min @ HMP , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x 70 sec hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

For the people racing the half this weekend don't do the Wednesday session instead just stick to easy miles and hop back in on the Saturday session to allow your body time to recover

Also for anyone racing Paddy's weekend here is the training taper option

|Rest|4m|6x1m min @ 5k pace with 2 min recovery|4m|rest|Race|90 min easy

Or if you are racing Mallow do the same week except Thursday OFF, Friday 4 miles easy, Sat OFF and Sunday 1 mile recovery + 4x60m strides

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭BobMac104

My first ballycotton and for weeks all i was hearing is "that hill at the end is a bit#h" Headed down early enough with a few lads from the club and I must say the place was buzzing from early on. They did a great job organising it I must say. Got to the start line with about twenty mins to go and there we stood unable to move till the race started. I didnt mind really as I knew this was the story every year. Off we went down the hill I was trying to hold back but i was tough too. Went through 5k in a time not too far off my 5k pb so at this point i was worried. miles 4 to 5 were very hard. the combination of a drag with the wind straight into out faces had me struggling. I looked at the watch and it was showin 7.20 pace and it was feeling hard to even maintain this. went through 5 miles just over 35 mins and took a gel that I brought with me just in case. i was able to relax my breathing (similar to Dungarvin) around the 7 mile mark and brought the pace back up but all that was in my mind was the hill at 8.5. Turned the corner and down hill for a small bit leading upto the hill. I decided to try build up a bit of momentum. The hill came and i was happy with how i was going up it as i seemed to be passing people. the 9 mile mark came , the hill was gone and i started to ramp it up while i stayed flat. half a mile to go and another pull through the village. The markers (1000m 800m 600m 400m) i swear were a mile apart. with 200m to go the legs were burning and i went over the top of the hill and saw the clock at 70:2X i didnt think i was anywhere near getting under 71. I pushed the legs as hard as i could and made it in in 70:41 (chip time). Delighted with that. Took nearly 3 mins off dungarvan.

Splits 6:46, 6:45, 6:59, 7:07, 7:11, 7:14, 7:06, 7:11, 7:15, 6:48. Total (chip time= 70:41)

Mallow next for me now which is only a couple weeks away.

That was some running Bob-well done, you were flying. Sounds like you killed that hill too! Congrats on beating Dungarvan by 3 mins:eek:

Thanks Cutex!

• Advertisement

Name|Weeks Sessions|Weeks Total|Monthly Total|Yearly total|Comments
    BobMac104|7|45.5m|19.5m|382.4.9m|Happy out with ballycotton.|
    Younganne|||84.27m|136.24||
    red face dave |||73.5|148.5|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    run44|||71.2|170m||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    KittyMittens|||38.8|38.8||
    Cutex||||64.5|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

TAble time

Nules10 ||||128.2|
    run44|||71.2|170m||
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex|3|14.3||78.8|happy enough but def more runs this week!
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

Did some interval training this week which was challenging but enjoyed it at the same time. Instead of my long run yesterday I spent the day with my son at dublin indoor juvenile championships! Even though it was held outdoors & was freezing I wouldn't have missed it for the world. Luke was soooooo nervous he didn't want to get out of the car but we eventually persuaded him out. He tried the hurdles first, his training consisted of a go over them twice in his first session and then half an hour training over them. He missed a couple of weeks of training so that was it!!! He came second in his semi final and forth in the final-I was so proud.

The main event for Luke was the 60m sprint but by the time that came around he was tired & hungry. He qualified for the final and then we think he came 5th, hard to tell on the day. He was disappointed but said he'll be back next year to claim gold and bring on training on Tuesday:cool:

Sorry for the ramble but just so proud of my little man. He has Aspergers syndrome and has hard a time with bullying and self confidence so the fact that he did it at all yesterday was heaven for me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭run44

Nules10 ||||128.2|
    run44|3|30.3m|30.3m|223.6m|Good week for me. Hip feeling better after a visit to the physio|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

Well done to everyone on their races recently and Lynn, sounds like you and the family had a great day. Looks like running is becoming a family event for ye!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭red face dave

red face dave |3|17|90.5|165.5|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    run44|3|30.3m|30.3m|223.6m|Good week for me. Hip feeling better after a visit to the physio|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

Great running everyone who ran at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Hi all, I'm falling in with this thread, and hoping for improvements under the sage advice of ecoli. Looking forward to/dreading doing intervals for the first time. I've signed up for a 10 miler in the middle of April, and I'd like to get as much mileage into me, and a little bit of pace, before I do it. After that, would love to do a half-marathon over the summer, and maybe even a marathon towards the end of the year. I now LOVE running, and can't wait to do it quicker ;)

I've been logging my 'training' so far for the last 2-3 weeks here.

Quick question on 8x1 min hills. Are these done in quick succession, and what sort of break (if any) are between each 1 min hill?

• Advertisement

Welcome Scriba!

Welcome scriba!

The recovery after hill reps is the walk back down the hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

Cutex very well done to your little boy. You must be thrilled for him. Plenty more races for him to come :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Younganne|4|22.47|22.47|158.81|Delighted with PB in Meath Half 1:54:22|
    red face dave |3|17|90.5|165.5|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

Well Done Bob on BallyCotton, great PB there for you...hard work paying off for you.

Welcome Scriba, plenty of room for everyone here!! great info and encouragement here to keep everyone going!

Congrats Cutex to your son Luke, you must be very proud of him and its great to hear that Sport is helping him get the better of the fools who would bully anyone because they are slightly different! Keep up the good work!!

Run44 delighted the hip is improving!
    Nules hope you are in good form and fighting fit again. Your day will come!(is feidir leat:eek: i think thats right..my irish is not my strongest point!!!:o

Well Dave how are you getting on??

Thank you all for your lovely words of encouragement about Luke! Will dine out on this for ages:D

Just wondering what races you have signed up for next? These are mine so far...

April 6th 5k with Ray-only €5 and my Mam & OH are running too
    April 15th Great Ireland Run 10k
    May 13th Terenure 5 mile

After these it'll be the Race Series, now have to start taking my interval training & diet bit more seriously:rolleyes:

I have a 5k BHAA race next sunday, The mallow 10 on the 19th and then I am into the Cork marathon. I am struggling a bit with my foot since ballycotton. I think I hurt it in one of the ditches near the end of the race. It was sore after a 5m trot on monday. took yeaterday off and went out again this morning for 5m. It is a good bit better but i am worried about the 5k next weekend. I really want to do it as the course is nice and flat and ive only ever done one 5k before. we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭scriba

Cutex wrote: »
    Just wondering what races you have signed up for next?

I'm going to 'debut' at a Cork BHAA 10k at UCC on April 1st, towards doing the Great Island 10 mile in Cobh on April 15th. After that, I'll continue towards doing a half-marathon somewhere. :)

BobMac104|||19.5m|382.4.9m|Happy out with ballycotton.|
    Younganne|3|13.27m|35.84m|172.08|Only got out for 3 runs this week...back to it fully this week:)|
    red face dave |||90.5|165.5|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    run44|||30.3m|223.6m|Good week for me. Hip feeling better after a visit to the physio|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex||||78.8|happy enough but def more runs this week!
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

I only got out for 3 runs this week, few niggles after the Half last week so didn't mind taking it easy..back to it fully this week!!

ecoli wrote: »
    Hi Folks

I am gonna be away for the next 2 weeks so I said I would put the next two weeks training up early

|Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 6x600m (.37 on Garmin) @ 10k pace with 2 min recovery between reps , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x1 min hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

|Rest|4m|1 mile easy, 20 min @ HMP , 1 mile easy|4m|rest|1mile easy, 8x 70 sec hills 1 mile easy|90 min easy

For the people racing the half this weekend don't do the Wednesday session instead just stick to easy miles and hop back in on the Saturday session to allow your body time to recover

Also for anyone racing Paddy's weekend here is the training taper option

|Rest|4m|6x1m min @ 5k pace with 2 min recovery|4m|rest|Race|90 min easy

Or if you are racing Mallow do the same week except Thursday OFF, Friday 4 miles easy, Sat OFF and Sunday 1 mile recovery + 4x60m strides

here's a reminder of this week training from Ecoli, whos off sunning himself in Spain...:D

• Advertisement

BobMac104|||19.5m|382.4.9m||
    Younganne|3|13.27m|35.84m|172.08|Only got out for 3 runs this week...back to it fully this week:)|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    run44|4|28.25|58.55m|251.9m|Good week this week|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

Run44, fair play to you you're clocking up great mileage so far this year!!!

Younganne wrote: »
    Run44, fair play to you you're clocking up great mileage so far this year!!!

Thanks Anne! Really trying to maintain the long distances at the weekend when I can. Tough to keep the motivation going somedays. I think Bob is eclipsing us all in the miles he's banked this year though - very impressive! ;)

Was looking forward to this as i found my first one good fun. Went down with a few lads from the club again (all way better than me). I have been struggling with my foot after ballycotton last weekend so i was hoping that it would hold up. I did a few easy miles and a couple of strides on saturday to see. It was stiff to begin with but eased out after a mile or so, so i decided that id be ok for the race. Got to the race nice and early and did two miles warmup. Got to the start line and off we went. the course for the most part is nice and flat with a good surface. The first mile i was running well, nice and controlled passing people who went out too hard, second mile more of the same but towards the two mile mark I was feeling it. The first half of the third mile was ok and I was holding on at the pace I had been doing but the hard part of the course up a short but very steep climb came and the fool that i am tore up it. By the top my lungs were on fire and my legs were jelly. Looked at my watch and we had over half a mile still to go. Now it was tough going. It was straight and flat all the way home but i was struggling big time. The clock came into view and i got a burst of energy but it was deceptively far away and i went too early. I must have been some sight crossing the line. finished in 20min 20 sec. its a 40 second PB but I must admit I had my eye on breaking 20mins but i think after ballycotton i just didnt have it on the day. Delighted with my foot its 95% now again i think (which is the main thing!!!) we warmed down with a 5 miler to keep the miles up for the day. Overall very happy. A good performance but it'll keep me hungry.

Splits: 6:23, 6:31, 6:45, (final bit @5:10) average 6:31

Next up mallow 10.

BobMac104|6|34m|53.5m|416.9m|Struggling with a sore foot but a good 5k race on sunday|
    Nules10 ||||128.2|
    run44|4|28.25|58.55m|251.9m|Good week this week|
    shazkea|||64|64|
    Cutex||||78.8|
    Alitoast|||34.11|83.94||

All runs this week were easy miles to try and let my foot recover from whatever happened it in Ballycotton. Did alot on grass and i think this helped.

run44 wrote: »
    Thanks Anne! Really trying to maintain the long distances at the weekend when I can. Tough to keep the motivation going somedays. I think Bob is eclipsing us all in the miles he's banked this year though - very impressive! ;)

:o thanks run44. I think running with the club has made it alot easier for me than when i was running on my own.

Well done Bob, hope the foot is completely better soon. That was a great race seeing as you raced last weekend and you going again next week:eek:...i feel so lazy now for not going out yesterday!!!:o

Ye agree with run44 you have great mileage, are you doing the 1000m challenge
    with your mileage you'd be in position 26!!!

Well done Bob, hope the foot is completely better soon. That was a great race seeing as you raced last weekend and you going again next week:eek:...i feel so lazy now for not going out yesterday!!!:o

Ye agree with run44 you have great mileage, are you doing the 1000m challenge

Thanks Anne. No I havent been doing it. I suppose i should.

Tbh i am kinda dreading next weekend. It has a good chance of it being the first race that i dont PB in. I cant see how i am going to better the time i did in Ballycotton just two weeks later plus it'll be on tired legs. I know it sounds stupid but still.

Bob, i'd agree with you, you will have tired legs and probably wont be at your peak so just go with the flow and if you do get a PB it will be all the sweeter but you won't be overly disappointed if you don't. just run and "enjoy" it:D and you never know what will happen...
    i think that if i just ran a race by feel instead of looking at the Garmin every 20 sec i might do a bit better!!

• Advertisement

Bob, i'd agree with you, you will have tired legs and probably wont be at your peak so just go with the flow and if you do get a PB it will be all the sweeter but you won't be overly disappointed if you don't. just run and "enjoy" it:D and you never know what will happen...

Ya you're right. Ill do my best to recover right this week and just see what happens. Its all only abit of fun anyway sure.
    i think that if i just ran a race by feel instead of looking at the Garmin every 20 sec i might do a bit better!!
    Ugh I know its an awfull habbit to have and one i wouldnt mind being able to do without.

Advertisement