Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Pixiejane

Loopie wrote: »
    I don't have implants so I can't contribute a whole heap here BUT I do want to say that I saw TV3 yesterday, and thought the three ladies came across brilliantly. You said what needed to be said, in an articulate manner and methinks you'll be a force to reckon with. I hope the meeting with the IMO goes well and the outcome of this whole PIP thing goes well for every lady concerned. Good luck! :)

Thanks Loopie, nice to hear that from someone who is not affected by this whole issue. It means a lot and just spurs us on to keep working as hard as we all have been. It hasn't been an easy journey so far, but the support from posting on this thread, the feedback and supportive comments mean so much. And yes the ladies who spoke out were absolutey inspiring and fabulous and are the most genuine lovely girls I could wish to meet. Don't forget to sign our petition please:D and spread the word amongst your family and friends, we need all the support we can get. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭kyra123

Hope1 wrote: »
    To you such brave brave ladies on tv3 this morning, you Shuld be so so proud of yourselfs. Like myself, I wouldn't be brave enough and I want to thank you three ladies on behalf of all us pip ladies in Ireland, as you are our voices also. Best of luck with the imb and can't wait to see tomorrow nights prime time. Hopefully we won't be ignored and we will have a good outcome from this :-) so proud of you again. Xx

Thanks for the kind words hope, we really were so nervous, our group PIP Action Group Ireland is determined to get us all a result and it helps a lot to hear we are reflecting well what pip ladies are going through. Thanks again for the kind words:)

kyra123 wrote: »
    PRIME TIME -RTE ONE-9.30PM THURSDAY 1ST MARCH
    Finally ladies we got the phone call for the green light for prime time this thursday
    Myself and Jean from pip action group ireland have interviewed for the show. We have done our best to tell
    Our story and explain the fears, concerns and fustrations of the women involved in this issue.
    Thank youto all for the messages of support, going public has not been easy for any of us involved
    But hopefully it will get us the result we all need.
    Stay strong ladies xx

Hi Ladies,

We got some great media coverage today in print in the daily mail, the hearald, the irish examiner, the star and the mirror! More interview to come next week in the independent on monday and the independent next weekend, also some radio interviews on the way too. Please feel free to mail me your stoires or point if you would like our group to voice your concerns- we will do our best.
    Prime time tomorrow, stay positive:)

sorry also ment to say if you have sent us a mail please bear with us we got alot of e mails yesterday and are trying to get through them as quick as we can. As we have said before we are just a group of women caught up in all this, we don t have an office but we do have determination if we dont have the answer to your questions we will do our best to send you in the right direction with our contacts to get them.

Thank you all again for the support on this thread I know i personally would not be able to do any of this without you ladies here on boards.ie xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kittymummy

hi everyone, im just wondering is there anyone can help me on how i find out if i have pip's. i had my breast augmentation in 2009 in shandon street hospital in cork. i have moved address so dont know did i get any letters or not about did i have them or not.. but i have tried ringing the clinic but not getting any response. im worried if i do have them and what will i do???

Hi Shakira

I too went to Shandon St in 2008 and turns out I didn't have Pip so try not to worry.

The ex CEO of Shandon Clinic will correspond to all ladies who write to 73 Shandon Street Cork (giving their contact details and operation details) to request their medical files. Even though the clinic is closed, the mail is still collected.

I received a response within 24hrs of writing to them so you shouldn't be waiting too long for a response.

I was also informed that the Irish Medicines Board hold a list of PIP patients, so they should be able to confirm also.

Best of luck and let me know how it goes xx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Pippy12

Hi girls
    Havent been on in awhile. Just wanted to say well done for ye're performance on the morning show. Ye all came across very well and finally I feel like our thoughts and concerns are been broadcast to the public. Without ye're bravery this whole mess would probably be swept under the carpet! Looking forward to prime time tonight and again well done ye really did us proud.

On a sadder note got results of my MRI yesterday, which was also the day Harley finally sent me my confirmation letter that I had PIP implants. I have a leak and inflammed lymph nodes on my left side and the right side was inconclusive!! On a slightly more positive note I am within the 6yrs so I am entitled to get mine replaced for free. I have not met the surgeon yet I have opted to wait until May to have my surgery (my own decision). If this had not come to light I could have been sitting here for another 4 or 5 years with industrial silicone leaking into my body! Not impressed. For all I know this leak could have been there for the last 4 or 5 years!!

I wonder ifthe price of my MRI will be refunded to me, if my 3 trips to Dublin will be funded and if my travel expenses to Mullingar will be funded. I also wonder if I will be compensated for the pain I am going to have to go through for removal and replacement, and the pain and recovery time in the weeks that follow the operation.

While I am annoyed I was ever put in this situation I am relieved I'll have them replaced for free as I do not have a fraction of the money needed to replace them myself. So for all ye girls who do not have leaks or ruptures I would still like to offer my support , no of us deserved to have this product inserted into our bodies and none of us deserve to have to pay to have this faulty, substandard product removed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

Pippy12 wrote: »
    Hi girls
    Havent been on in awhile. Just wanted to say well done for ye're performance on the morning show. Ye all came across very well and finally I feel like our thoughts and concerns are been broadcast to the public. Without ye're bravery this whole mess would probably be swept under the carpet! Looking forward to prime time tonight and again well done ye really did us proud.

On a sadder note got results of my MRI yesterday, which was also the day Harley finally sent me my confirmation letter that I had PIP implants. I have a leak and inflammed lymph nodes on my left side and the right side was inconclusive!! On a slightly more positive note I am within the 6yrs so I am entitled to get mine replaced for free. I have not met the surgeon yet I have opted to wait until May to have my surgery (my own decision). If this had not come to light I could have been sitting here for another 4 or 5 years with industrial silicone leaking into my body! Not impressed. For all I know this leak could have been there for the last 4 or 5 years!!

I wonder ifthe price of my MRI will be refunded to me, if my 3 trips to Dublin will be funded and if my travel expenses to Mullingar will be funded. I also wonder if I will be compensated for the pain I am going to have to go through for removal and replacement, and the pain and recovery time in the weeks that follow the operation.

While I am annoyed I was ever put in this situation I am relieved I'll have them replaced for free as I do not have a fraction of the money needed to replace them myself. So for all ye girls who do not have leaks or ruptures I would still like to offer my support , no of us deserved to have this product inserted into our bodies and none of us deserve to have to pay to have this faulty, substandard product removed!!

I am so sorry to hear you have go thru this , it I would suggest you to keep all your reciepts for all expenses you had so far .. I am keeping mine.. I would get in touch with solicitor , he will give you the right direction , you don't have to pay for consultation ..If you going to replace them in HMG I heard they are asking you to sign some pre operation papers , make sure you read thru very carefull ... I think thr shudn't be any problem of going legal with them if thats your choise ! The other thing is they coming up with this report in IMB with such a small % of rupture and in real fact thr are so many girls with leaks and ruptures after scans .. Stay strong please xxxxxxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 nettie80

Hi Pippy12

So sorry to hear about your results, cant imagine how you must be feeling, good luck with your op in May :) I was wondering if you had any inclination of a rupture before hand? Did you have any symptoms or cause for concern before you had your scan? I have read previous posts where ladies have said they knew something was wrong or had problems with their implants. Personally, I have had no issues at all and am awaiting my results from my mri and its just made me want to ask if its possible to have a rupture but with no obvious signs or symptoms.

Thanks

Hi girls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sue103

Hi girls

Hi Pippy12,
    Sorry to hear your news. Hope you are ok and if you need anything just let us know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 kitty31

SBJ wrote: »
    Hi all, this is my first time posting, I had PIP implants in 2008 via the Harley Medical Group. I got a referal letter from Harley for an MRI which I had done on Monday in the the Beacon Hospital and I have a rupture in both implants. I am booked in for surgery on the 29th February and just feel so depressed and scared :(

Hi every1 its my first time on this to...I had mine done wit <snip> in 2008 aswell i got scan few wks ago and had rupture... I was so scared and had to go for consultation with <snip> before opp and the way i was treated by surgeon was terrible made me feel so intimidated sorry not tryin to scare anyone.... I had my opp last fri but i was so scared going in for it he never made me feel one bit comfortable like i had done wrong, but had no choice i had to get it done,i have 2 small kids and had to think of them and my health... I didnt have the money to pay to get them done again like alot of women.. and should NOT have to..... My opp went well other than that thank God still on the mend..Have Check up on Sat and will be putting Complaint in against him once im checked over and he will get a piece of my mind over the Way i was treated.. How DARE HE..

• Advertisement

Sorry just Like to say Girls yee were great on the morning Show gives us all hope..

Hi all, this is my first time posting, I had PIP implants in 2008 via the <snip>. I got a referal letter from <snip> for an MRI which I had done on Monday in the the Beacon Hospital and I have a rupture in both implants. I am booked in for surgery on the 29th February and just feel so depressed and scared :(

Hi every1 its my first time on this to...I had mine done wit <snip> in 2008 aswell i got scan few wks ago and had rupture... I was so scared and had to go for consultation with <snip> before opp and the way i was treated by surgeon was terrible made me feel so intimidated sorry not tryin to scare anyone.... I had my opp last fri but i was so scared going in for it he never made me feel one bit comfortable like i had done wrong, but had no choice i had to get it done,i have 2 small kids and had to think of them and my health... I didnt have the money to pay to get them done again like alot of women.. and should NOT have to..... My opp went well other than that thank God still on the mend..Have Check up on Sat and will be putting Complaint in against him once im checked over and he will get a piece of my mind over the Way i was treated.. How DARE HE..

Hi all, this is my first time posting, I had PIP implants in 2008 via the <snip>. I got a referal letter from <snip> for an MRI which I had done on Monday in the the Beacon Hospital and I have a rupture in both implants. I am booked in for surgery on the 29th February and just feel so depressed and scared :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Hope1

I am really getting worried, lately I have alot of pains in both my breasts . Does anyone kno Could this be a symptom of a leak and shud I get MRI ASAP,Or wait another week for Mullingar to contact me. still waiting for app in Mullingar so worried just want them out as soon as :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Worrysick

Hi I'm a newbie an I'm terrified,I've been sticking my head in the sand since Christmas when this nightmare arrived loud an clear on my kitchen radio, I've been very uncomfortable with my implants for a good while now while there not sore as such they just don't feel right, I did mention this ti my docitor last year but she wasn't really interested ! My clinic avc is closed down so didn't really know what to do or where to go an no funds anyway, I'm sick to my stomach with worry,dontbknow where to start, where to go or who to talk to as I didn't tell anyone I had this done, any help would be a God send please,

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

kitty31 wrote: »

Oh God Kitty, that was awful for you:(.......

Glad your op went well though and you should def put in a complaint against him, an operation is terrifying enough on its own without dealing with an a**hole of a surgeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JustPeachy

Hi Girls,

I'm another "bury my head in the sand" person. I was pregnant in December when the story broke, and while I contact the <snip> to see if I had PIPs, I put it out of my head again when they couldn't tell me straight away, cos I couldn't deal with it at that time.

So in the mean time I've had a beautiful baby girl, and my confirmation letter.

I've spent the last 3 days reading the 68 pages of everyone's awful stories, and everyone's support. It's a great resource for all of us here. Well done to all the girls in the support group, I can see that you've put in huge work and energy. Thanks to (I think!) ILMM for responding to my email recently too, I don't know where you girls get the time!

My story is - I had BA in October 2001, in Clane Hospital with the <snip>. Alarm bells should have rung at the time, but it had taken me so long to come to the decision that I went ahead with it. I asked the surgeon if it would affect breast feeding, if I ever wanted to do that. He laughed at me and asked me why would I do that to the beautiful breasts that I had just spent so much money on. So much for hipocratic (sp?) oaths and best medical practice at the time! He promised me that it would not affect breastfeeding.
    I lost all sensation in my nipples, (has anyone else had this problem?), and was told it would return within a year. It didn't, but I didn't follow up on it - was busy enjoying my life at the time.
    But three years ago when I had my first baby, I couldn't breastfeed. I've seen lactation consultants etc, and have been told it's a combination of having very little breast tissue( I was AA sized) and also the loss of sensation due to BA. And I've read in the mean time that lots of girls can't breastfeed after the procedure.
    I was also pressurised at the time into going for a bigger size than I initially wanted (I read here another girl was in the same situation?)
    Anyway that isn't anything to do with PIPs, but just an example of how little the surgeon cared at the time about anything other than making sure I went through with the op.

So now I'm >10 years since op, so <snip> won't do anything for me. I've been phoning them to get referral for scans but - usual story - I can't get anything out of them. They told me that they posted a scan options letter 2 weeks ago - yeah sure you did!

I have a couple of things I'm trying to figure out -
    * Should I just get GP referral letter and go to the Beacon for scan?
    * Should I bother with the scan as I'll want remove/replace anyway so maybe it's a waste of money?
    * Where should I get remove/replace? Cosmedico/Auralia/The Hospital Group? Has anyone not originally treated by teh Hospital Group gone with them? Their price for Birmingham seems very reasonable but is it available for patients of other practices?
    * Solicitor - I contacted Avril thinking it was no win/no fee, but then she told me about the €750 charge. Are there any Dublin solicitors anyone would recommend who don't charge upfront? We're not badly off, but who has that kind of money to spare these days? Especially when we probably need to find nearly €4,000 for the operation!!!

Sorry for the very long post, girls, but it's kind of nice to be able to tell someone (other than hubbie!) the full story. I'm really trying hard not to get too upset or emotional about it, I don't have the emotional energy as I've 3 small children under 3, and I need to be there for them. But I think there's something very wrong with my left breast, which I'm ignoring 99% of the time, and panicking about the rest of the time. So thanks a mil for listening.

xx

ps not sure if I can help in any way, but I'd love to go to any meetings that anyone is arranging, and help any way I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JustPeachy

I didn't see programme on tv last night, I didnt' realise it was on (hadn't gotten that far in the thread!)
    But I did see see you girls on TV3 the other morning, and you were brilliant! And it was great to show that as a group we're just normal girls, not pneumatic-chested barbie-wannabies!!

k
    Hope1 wrote: »
    I am really getting worried, lately I have alot of pains in both my breasts . Does anyone kno Could this be a symptom of a leak and shud I get MRI ASAP,Or wait another week for Mullingar to contact me. still waiting for app in Mullingar so worried just want them out as soon as :-(

Hi Hope,
    pain can be a symptom of a rupture or leak but my MRI detected a very small leak and I have no pain whatsoever so the only way you'll really know is to get an MRI done. And plus when you get it done, at least you'll finally know if there is a problem instead of imagining the worst.

Prehaps ring Mullingar yourself instead of waiting to hear from them and see what date they can give you. Obviously there are now a lot of ladies looking for breast MRIs so even if you ring anywhere else, you might still be waiting a week or two for an appointment but at least then you would have a date for your MRI.

Will keep fingers crossed for you.......

Worrysick wrote: »
    Hi I'm a newbie an I'm terrified,I've been sticking my head in the sand since Christmas when this nightmare arrived loud an clear on my kitchen radio, I've been very uncomfortable with my implants for a good while now while there not sore as such they just don't feel right, I did mention this ti my docitor last year but she wasn't really interested ! My clinic avc is closed down so didn't really know what to do or where to go an no funds anyway, I'm sick to my stomach with worry,dontbknow where to start, where to go or who to talk to as I didn't tell anyone I had this done, any help would be a God send please,

Hi Worrysick,
    unfortunately we can all identify with your terror:(, not a nice feeling!

If you haven't already confirmed whether your implants are PIP implants, then this should be your first step. Prehaps ring the Irish Medicines Board 01-6764971, they should be able to point you in the right direction if your clinic has closed down.

If it turns out you have PIPs, you need to organise an MRI if you can afford it. Also try and meet with a no win, no fee solicitor and get their advice on how you should proceed - it's very difficult situation for all the ladies whose clinics have closed down:(.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Funnyfakename

Kitty31>

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. How are you doing now? I think you are absolutely right to complain, you have been through so much. Please do not post any hints, clues, initials etc. to who was your surgeon. I'm sure there are many people with the same initials that work in companies, don't panic people. I don't mean to be harsh but please be careful about posting that sort of information.

JustPeachy wrote: »
    I have a couple of things I'm trying to figure out -
    * Should I just get GP referral letter and go to the Beacon for scan?
    * Should I bother with the scan as I'll want remove/replace anyway so maybe it's a waste of money?
    * Where should I get remove/replace? Cosmedico/Auralia/The Hospital Group? Has anyone not originally treated by teh Hospital Group gone with them? Their price for Birmingham seems very reasonable but is it available for patients of other practices?
    * Solicitor - I contacted Avril thinking it was no win/no fee, but then she told me about the €750 charge. Are there any Dublin solicitors anyone would recommend who don't charge upfront? We're not badly off, but who has that kind of money to spare these days? Especially when we probably need to find nearly €4,000 for the operation!!!

Hi Justpeachy,
    congrats on your baby girl and awful about your problems with breastfeeding, although considering what might be inside your implants you are probably better off.....I had a baby girl in September and breastfed her until I heard about PIPs so was not only worried about my health but hers as well but thankfully I ony have a very small leak in one implant and my implants are behind the muscle so all I can do is hope that they are far enough away from my milk ducts so that my milk wasn't affected.

Won't even get into your post about your surgeon - God he sounds awful, but at least now you know what not to look for in a surgeon.

Re your questions, def get your own GP referral if you want a scan. As you say might be a waste of money if you are getting them removed anyway but this is something you might discuss with a solicitor as you may need evidence that your implants were ruptured before you have them removed (so if you take a case, they can't argue that they might only have been ruptured while trying to remove them). But possibly I've been watching too many law programmes on TV and this might not be necessary:D.

I would meet with all the clinics you have mentioned and then decide who to go with (assuming it will be free of charge for you to meet with their surgeons). At least then you will get a feel for which surgeon you would be most comfortable with.

Unfortunatley can't help you with a suggestion for another Dublin solicitor.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Kitty31>

I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. How are you doing now? I think you are absolutely right to complain, you have been through so much. Please do not post any hints, clues, initials etc. to who was your surgeon. I'm sure there are many people with the same initials that work in companies, don't panic people. I don't mean to be harsh but please be careful about posting that sort of information.

Sorry should have thought of that, yes that's prob a bad idea!
    Maybe ladies could send you a private message if they are worried about what surgeon to meet in HMG.

By the way, before I log off, just wanted to say I watched Prime Time show and well done to Lisa, Jean and Maria for taking part - ye were great:) and really feel for Maria and what she has gone through. Hope the meeting with the IMB next week is productive!

Kitty31>

Total agree with your funnyfake name, the mods on boards have been very good to us and asked that we respect their rules. Posting up names of Dr. has been sighted as a no go and to be honest we don t know who is on this boards or watching it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Worrysick

Hi Worrysick,
    unfortunately we can all identify with your terror:(, not a nice feeling!

If you haven't already confirmed whether your implants are PIP implants, then this should be your first step. Prehaps ring the Irish Medicines Board 01-6764971, they should be able to point you in the right direction if your clinic has closed down.

If it turns out you have PIPs, you need to organise an MRI if you can afford it. Also try and meet with a no win, no fee solicitor and get their advice on how you should proceed - it's very difficult situation for all the ladies whose clinics have closed down:(.
    Hi evergreen thanks for the number il give them a ring, I had my implants at AVC in may 2005,after hours of looking I've found name of surgon, where he works in the hse(I think,he's on there web site anyway) and also a clinic he works as a consultant or did anyway ! I'm going to email him an see if he'll be able to help..I'm just afraid he won't give me any iformatiing because he might think I hold him respondable,which I don't, any advice would be great......ps I don't have

Hi evergreen thanks for the number il give them a ring, I had my implants at AVC in may 2005,after hours of looking I've found name of surgon, where he works in the hse(I think,he's on there web site anyway) and also a clinic he works as a consultant or did anyway ! I'm going to email him an see if he'll be able to help..I'm just afraid he won't give me any iformatiing because he might think I hold him respondable,which I don't, any advice would be great......ps I don't have

Hi Worrysick,
    I'm sure if you email him, he should at least be able to tell you if he ever used PIPs as I'm sure surgeons would def remember what brands of implants they have used. I haven't heard AVC mentioned in any of the other posts here so quite possibly they never used PIPs......hopefully you won't be waiting too long to find out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Can anyone help me i also had the pip implants from cork in april 2008 how do you find out were they the bad batch am stunned knew nothing till watched primetime last night was in saudi arabia for 2 years what do i do where do i go i have extreme breast pain and pain under one arm i went to my own doctor and she said there was nothing she could do as she knows nothing about implants am beside myself

Can anyone help me i also had the pip implants from cork in april 2008 how do you find out were they the bad batch am stunned knew nothing till watched primetime last night was in saudi arabia for 2 years what do i do where do i go i have extreme breast pain and pain under one arm i went to my own doctor and she said there was nothing she could do as she knows nothing about implants am beside myself

Hey there,

Sorry to hear you got such a shock last night. the girls here on boards are great and will help you. First contact your clinic if they are still open and ask them for help, if your clinic is now gone then contact the Irish medicines board ph 016764971 they will be open again first thing monday morning, they will help you to track down your medical records via the liquidator of the company and they will then be able to tell you what implants you have.

Also have a look over the last three pages of posts, if i remember right one of the girls put up the contact details for the owner of the clinic in cork, also that they have been really helpful getting information back to people.

• Advertisement

Prime time raised some good points last night about the gap in regulation.
    The Irish Medicines Board (IMB) regulate medical devices, and the Irish Medical Council regulate doctors in Ireland. But an over regulator for the cosmetics surgery industry is not in place. Our action group are trying to voice this concern but it would really help if others would voice it too in the form of
    letters or mails to the minister of Health. If anyone has time over the next few days please send on a letter to the minister to this effect. This would really help us with our meeting with the IMB on monday.

Also I know a couple of you are really angry about how you have been treated by certain doctors/surgeons in clinics but instead of posting/pm on the board and getting into trouble with boards you can also log a formal complaint with the medical council - www.medicalcouncil.ie or call them on 01 4983102.
    I know this because I have already done it myself. I hope that helps a little and lets those of you know that if you have been treated badly they will listen, take it very serious and investigate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement