Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PiP Implants support thread - Irish petition in post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭ilmm2012

Hi Sarah,
    there are a couple of other girls on this thread in the same boat as you who also had their surgery with ACS. Applejam had posted this previously in response to another girls query which might be of help to you.

"The liquidators for ACS are Smyth Williams and Freeny, they should have your medical records on file, I spoke to them this morning and have sent a letter in to request all records they have on me.
    01-6142500

ACS were supplied mostly by Teckno Surgical, and there implants are Eurosilicone and so far they are amongst the safe group ( I have these implanted by ACS in 2002 ) they are surgical grade silicone.
    01-6754800

Give the Irish Medicines Board a call, they will tell you what implants you have or at least they will tell you the company that ACS bout their implants off at the time of your surgery and you can work from there"

Best of luck, hopefully you don't have PIPs!

Hi there Sfberry this is from an earlier post hope this helps!

Any new ladies if you could sign the petition that would be great thanks...
    Removal & Replacement of PIP Breast implants in Irish Women
    www.ipetitions.com

• Registered Users Posts: 24 DD14

hi all, went to my GP on Friday, she wasnt up to date on the whole PIP issue. I was more informed than her. I came out feeling very low,
    Anyway she gave me a referral letter for an ultrasound scan and told me to ring <snip>. The lady in <snip>r said I need to see the surgeon before the scan can be done and the next appointment to see him wont be until middle of March, then I will be put on a waiting list for the scan. I dont want to wait that long.
    Anyone any suggestion where i should go to get the scan done sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭jeano8

Bettylil wrote: »
    My friend had her pre op meeting today before the remove and replace on Thurs. took her sister who was great for moral support -went in with her and also read over the paperwork with her - one clause said something like " I hereby agree that I will not hold <snip> responsible for anything that happens during the procedure", wasnt very keen to sign that and queried it with nurse who said it is normal part of consent form. asked if she could take it home to think about it and bring it with her on Thurs but was told no they have to have it before then. on back ofpaperwork it said" this is not a legal waiver" so reluctantly signed. new implants will be Allergan so intends to read up about them between now and thurs. Her surgeon <snip> - is that the surgeon you think is brilliant?- was not particularly warm or friendly but as long as he does a good job she can deal with that. Because she has rupture and leaks he will have to try and get as much of that away as possible. Says there can be very small particles which the human eye cannot see but these will be excreted by the body.

relieved to have that part over - totally exhausted. thanks for all your advice Jean -have passed it on to her.
    God its not nice that he wasnt more helpful to her at a time like this i mean everyon is just worried and needs reassurance not crap! Hope she is ok and all she can do is read up about the new implants she will receive please let me know how she gets on il b thinking of her x

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

DD14 wrote: »
    hi all, went to my GP on Friday, she wasnt up to date on the whole PIP issue. I was more informed than her. I came out feeling very low,
    Anyway she gave me a referral letter for an ultrasound scan and told me to ring <snip>. The lady in <snip> said I need to see the surgeon before the scan can be done and the next appointment to see him wont be until middle of March, then I will be put on a waiting list for the scan. I dont want to wait that long.

Hi DD14, I don't think anyone else has had to see a surgeon before they had their scan, I don't see the point in it, as if you have a silent rupture, the surgeon can't tell, and you will still need a scan anyway.

Can't help you with a suggestion for an ultrasound but my GP was going to refer me to either <snip> or <snip> for a breast MRI. I decided on <snip> as it's nearer to me, was waiting 2 weeks for an appointment. Had it done today but they wouldn't tell me the results :(They will send a report to my doctor tomorrow or Thursday. They did give me a CD of the images they took but no point in me looking at them as won't have a clue what I'm looking for!

Hopefully one of the other girls on here will be able to recommend somewhere else for your ultrasound.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 lickle mushroom

Hi girls.

I received a letter today from 'The Former Management' at <snip> stating that I do not have PIP implants. As you can imagine I'm absolutely thrilled. The ones I have are brand name Allergan and they gave me my serial numbers. For anybody else who had their op in <snip> it looks like the IMB might be right in saying that <snip> only used PIP implants from 2007 onwards as I had mine done in 2005.

I would just like to add that you all have my full support and I am 100% behind the cause. I have sent the link to the petition on to all my friends and family and most have already signed.

I think this is a terrific thread and has been an absolute Godsend to me in my personal hell over the last few weeks. Thanks so much to ye all and I wish ye all the best of luck with everything. I will continue to follow this thread in the hope that you will get the justice that you all so greatly deserve. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭evergreen girl

<snip>

Hi lickle mushroom,
    am absolutely delighted for you and a little bit envious ;). Just a pity you had to wait so long to find out you had nothing to worry about. And please do continue to support us PIP girls, coz we definitely need it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dawntrek

Hi All

I went to a lawyer yesterday and he told me that you only have 6 years to take legal action otherwise you cant sue, I had mine in Jan 2006 so its too late for me to take any action:mad:

I guess there are lots of you in the same boat who got them done in 2005 and before.

I am still trying to decide where to get mine replaced and I just learned that not all Allergan implants are FDA approved. The cheaper ones are made in an FDA approved factory but have the implants have not been FDA approved! only the expensive ones are FDA approved and are guaranted for life.

So much to watch out for with this.:confused: I am not making the same mistake again and my mum has is willing to pay for the best so it does not happen again. Will be paying my Mum back for a while yet, but feel so bad about it.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭saulite

dawntrek wrote: »
    Hi All

I went to a lawyer yesterday and he told me that you only have 6 years to take legal action otherwise you cant sue, I had mine in Jan 2006 so its too late for me to take any action:mad:

I guess there are lots of you in the same boat who got them done in 2005 and before.

I am still trying to decide where to get mine replaced and I just learned that not all Allergan implants are FDA approved. The cheaper ones are made in an FDA approved factory but have the implants have not been FDA approved! only the expensive ones are FDA approved and are guaranted for life.

So much to watch out for with this.:confused: I am not making the same mistake again and my mum has is willing to pay for the best so it does not happen again. Will be paying my Mum back for a while yet, but feel so bad about it.:(

I honestly don't believe this that you can't take a legal action against them !! You had PIP implants (dangerous implants )and not just any implants... they were meant to be life long not 6yrs .. I think there are so many reasons you could sue them and not sure if your choice in lawyer was the best ...First - faulty product which you recieved , e.t.c. Don't stop with what one lawyer told you , maybe ask for advice of few of them ! There are also such a good support and great advices on this board , read thru it helps me a lot to stay strong and focused !! Good luck with evrth !!
    SNIP

Anyway she gave me a referral letter for an ultrasound scan and told me to ring <snip>. The lady in <snip> said I need to see the surgeon before the scan can be done and the next appointment to see him wont be until middle of March, then I will be put on a waiting list for the scan. I dont want to wait that long.

Hi DD14
    I dont know what your GP is on about I've never heard of anything so ridiculous, why would you go to see the surgeon 1st it fathoms believe, anyway i had my scan done in<snip> and they were lovely all I needed was a referral from my GP, there's also <snip> which alot of the girls on here have used, hope this helps!

• Advertisement

<snip>

Licklemushroom delighted for you thats great news and thanks for all your support it's nice to know that we have it;)

saulite wrote: »
    I honestly don't believe this that you can't take a legal action against them !! You had PIP implants (dangerous implants )and not just any implants... they were meant to be life long not 6yrs .. I think there are so many reasons you could sue them and not sure if your choice in lawyer was the best ...First - faulty product which you recieved , e.t.c. Don't stop with what one lawyer told you , maybe ask for advice of few of them ! There are also such a good support and great advices on this board , read thru it helps me a lot to stay strong and focused !! Good luck with evrth !!
    SNIP

I agree with Saulite on this one most of us have been to see solicitiors and have never been told this, I for one had my op back in 2001 so fall way short of the 6 years but that has never been mentioned so I would definitely contact another lawyer who knows what they are talking about!

ilmm2012 wrote: »
    Hi DD14
    I dont know what your GP is on about I've never heard of anything so ridiculous, why would you go to see the surgeon 1st it fathoms believe, anyway i had my scan done in<snip> and they were lovely all I needed was a referral from my GP, there's also <snip> which alot of the girls on here have used, hope this helps!

I think its doctors cashing in on us. I wud obviously have to pay to see the surgeon and then pay for the scan Think I will ring the beacon tomorrow to book the scan. Regardless of the results of the scan I want them removed just not sure were to go to have this done. do I have to go back to <snip>. As I said my GP had no answers for me.

I think its doctors cashing in on us. I wud obviously have to pay to see the surgeon and then pay for the scan Think I will ring <snip> tomorrow to book the scan. Regardless of the results of the scan I want them removed just not sure were to go to have this done. do I have to go back to <snip>. As I said my GP had no answers for me.

First you need is letter from GP then MRI or scan and then surgeon .. Your GP sounds in wrong job, all world is talking about and he/she doesn't have a clue , seriously how much does he cares ..!! I would suggest you to do MRI as ultrascan is only 60% .I got bad news after my scan I had a leak in my left breast ,but she kept saying to me its not 100% that your leak is rupture and that itwas better for me to do MRI . I was sick worried and had them removed 2wk's ago ..
    Keep all your reciepts if you go legal you will need them to get your money back !!

Hi lickle mushroom,
    am absolutely delighted for you and a little bit envious ;). Just a pity you had to wait so long to find out you had nothing to worry about. And please do continue to support us PIP girls, coz we definitely need it!

So happy for you , your nightmare is over .. :)

<snip>
    First you need is letter from GP then MRI or scan and then surgeon .. Your GP sounds in wrong job, all world is talking about and he/she doesn't have a clue , seriously how much does he cares ..!! I would suggest you to do MRI as ultrascan is only 60% .I got bad news after my scan I had a leak in my left breast ,but she kept saying to me its not 100% that your leak is rupture and that itwas better for me to do MRI . I was sick worried and had them removed 2wk's ago ..
    Keep all your reciepts if you go legal you will need them to get your money back !!
    Thanks saulite. My GP is of an older generation think its time I changed GP. I rang <snip> just now and was told I cud have a scan next Tuesday once I email my referral letter to them. At last I am getting somewhere with this. Were did u go to have them removed and did u get them replaced.
    Hope u are doing well.

Hi DD14, I don't think anyone else has had to see a surgeon before they had their scan, I don't see the point in it, as if you have a silent rupture, the surgeon can't tell, and you will still need a scan anyway.

Can't help you with a suggestion for an ultrasound but my GP was going to refer me to either <snip> or <snip> for a breast MRI. I decided on <snip> as it's nearer to me, was waiting 2 weeks for an appointment. Had it done today but they wouldn't tell me the results :(They will send a report to my doctor tomorrow or Thursday. They did give me a CD of the images they took but no point in me looking at them as won't have a clue what I'm looking for!

Hopefully one of the other girls on here will be able to recommend somewhere else for your ultrasound.
    Hi. <snip> also said I need to see the surgeon first, it's only delaying the process. I finally got an appointment with <snip> for Tuesday.

<snip>
    Hey everyone did u see the newsnight on bbc last night it was very interesting i wonder how ling they will leave us with these implants lije 'guinea pigs' before they do somthing about it all we want is for fhe clinics responsible to be held accountable not the taxpayer but if we are all suffering from health implicafions because of these implants then who do they think this wwill fall on? The irish government needs to give direction to these clinics to renove and replace these implants now in the interest of all the women and their health this should be the priority not profit or who should birden the blame they are all to blame from <snip> to the <snip> to the surgeons please try to get evryone u knowto sign the petition so we can get soething moving on this

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hey everyone did u see the newsnight on bbc last night it was very interesting i wonder how ling they will leave us with these implants lije 'guinea pigs' before they do somthing about it all we want is for fhe clinics responsible to be held accountable not the taxpayer but if we are all suffering from health implicafions because of these implants then who do they think this wwill fall on? The irish government needs to give direction to these clinics to renove and replace these implants now in the interest of all the women and their health this should be the priority not profit or who should birden the blame they are all to blame from <snip> to the <snip> to the surgeons please try to get evryone u knowto sign the petition so we can get soething moving on this

HI girls
    We've just finished our website www.pipactiongroup.com and all the links for the petition, facebook and twitter are up there as Jean08 said we really need to get lots more people to sign our petition, its for all of us, someone has to be held responsible and made to pay and we need to stand up to these bodies as a strong group of women who arent willing lto back down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SBJ

Hi all, this is my first time posting, I had PIP implants in 2008 via <snip>. I got a referal letter from <snip> for an MRI which I had done on Monday in <snip> and I have a rupture in both implants. I am booked in for surgery on the 29th February and just feel so depressed and scared :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dawntrek

SNIP

Rang them again this morning to confirm and what they told me that you have 6 years to take a case against someone its called the "A statute of limitations" just looked it up on wiki and in Ireland is 6 years "is an enactment in a common law legal system that sets the maximum time after an event that legal proceedings based on that event may be initiated."

What they told me in this case they could take legal action but they would first have to get around this and this would be the first argument to win never mind the action for damages as the other side will say that its too late to sue.
    So its in effect 2 rows to win not one

They said they could do but it would be difficult and expensive and anyone who tells you different is not being honest and you would be against insurance companies with big pockets and if you lost you would have to pay the their legal costs! The offer of no fees unless you win does not cover the other side so you may not have to pay your lawyer anything but you would have to pay theres if you lost.

I am so stressed by all this now - why cant it be simple:mad::mad::mad:

SBJ wrote: »
    Hi all, this is my first time posting, I had PIP implants in 2008 via <snip>. I got a referal letter from <snip> for an MRI which I had done on Monday in <snip> and I have a rupture in both implants. I am booked in for surgery on the 29th August and just feel so depressed and scared :(
    Hi sbj thats awful news i hope u are ok u poor thing why do u hav to wait so long for surgery and are u going with <snip> again? If u need anything just pm me

Hi girls.

I received a letter today from 'The Former Management' at <snip> stating that I do not have PIP implants. As you can imagine I'm absolutely thrilled. The ones I have are brand name Allergan and they gave me my serial numbers. For anybody else who had their op in <snip> it looks like the IMB might be right in saying that <snip> only used PIP implants from 2007 onwards as I had mine done in 2005.

I would just like to add that you all have my full support and I am 100% behind the cause. I have sent the link to the petition on to all my friends and family and most have already signed.

I think this is a terrific thread and has been an absolute Godsend to me in my personal hell over the last few weeks. Thanks so much to ye all and I wish ye all the best of luck with everything. I will continue to follow this thread in the hope that you will get the justice that you all so greatly deserve. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Thats great news lickle mushroom so happy for you xxx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 SBJ

jeano8 wrote: »
    Hi sbj thats awful news i hope u are ok u poor thing why do u hav to wait so long for surgery and are u going with <snip> again? If u need anything just pm me

Thanks Jeano8, I am going with <snip> as they are doing it foc but I am nervous and I cant afford to go down any other route, the soonest date for surgery they could give was 24th Feb but I cant do that day and so the next available was 29th feb.

Does anyone else feel silly for wanting implants in the first place? I went from an AA cup to a C up and all I wanted was to look like a woman and not a boy! At the time some people told me I was mad but after my surgery I developed a new confidence and have excelled socially and in my career, but now I feel like I'm being laughed at beacause it has all gone so horribly wrong:(

Thanks Jeano8, I am going with <snip> as they are doing it foc but I am nervous and I cant afford to go down any other route, the soonest date for surgery they could give was 24th Feb but I cant do that day and so the next available was 29th feb.

Does anyone else feel silly for wanting implants in the first place? I went from an AA cup to a C up and all I wanted was to look like a woman and not a boy! At the time some people told me I was mad but after my surgery I developed a new confidence and have excelled socially and in my career, but now I feel like I'm being laughed at beacause it has all gone so horribly wrong:(
    Dont be silly if i hav a rupture i will go with <snip> also as have to but wasnt worried about the service i actually thought they were great just so annoyed they used these inferior and unsafe implants and dont think like that if u decide to get them replaced no one will think any less of u im still debating with myself i dont ever want to go through this again but i also dont want to feel like im not a real woman again either we all just have to make that decision for ourselves and only we can understand how we will feel or react to this whole situation so chin up ok :-)

No you shouldnt feel silly at all and you dont need to explain why you wanted implants in the 1st place, none of us do! I'm sorry to hear your implants have both ruptured thats terrible <snip> have alot to answer for, just make sure you dont sign a disclaimer form and hold on to your receipts and try not to worry I know its a confusing and worrying time but just know we're all here for you, hope this helps;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 PIPdrama

I have received 3 letters from <snip> stating that I have the PIP implants!
    Over a year ago I sought medical advice when a suspect bruise appeared on one of my breasts... it was massive... I have photos and a letter from my GP.
    To save on some initial cash payout in legal fees I was hoping someone could advise me on how they have handled their case and where we stand legally regarding removal/replacement/compensation whatever... I just want these ticking time bombs out! I paid for a service and product so that has to amount for something, Right?

PIPdrama wrote: »
    I have received 3 letters from <snip> stating that I have the PIP implants!
    Over a year ago I sought medical advice when a suspect bruise appeared on one of my breasts... it was massive... I have photos and a letter from my GP.
    To save on some initial cash payout in legal fees I was hoping someone could advise me on how they have handled their case and where we stand legally regarding removal/replacement/compensation whatever... I just want these ticking time bombs out! I paid for a service and product so that has to amount for something, Right?

Wow 3 letters that was nice of <snip> most of us havent even received 1! At the min <snip> are refusing point blank to remove/replace pip implants unless they are ruptured, as for the legal route alot of us are in the process of building a case against these clinics but its only in the very early stages. We're all here for support for you here just remember you're not alone and dont forget ladies to really push this petition ask your friends and family to sign too ;)
    Removal & Replacement of PIP Breast implants in Irish Women
    www.ipetitions.com

dawntrek wrote: »
    Rang them again this morning to confirm and what they told me that you have 6 years to take a case against someone its called the "A statute of limitations" just looked it up on wiki and in Ireland is 6 years "is an enactment in a common law legal system that sets the maximum time after an event that legal proceedings based on that event may be initiated."

What they told me in this case they could take legal action but they would first have to get around this and this would be the first argument to win never mind the action for damages as the other side will say that its too late to sue.
    So its in effect 2 rows to win not one

They said they could do but it would be difficult and expensive and anyone who tells you different is not being honest and you would be against insurance companies with big pockets and if you lost you would have to pay the their legal costs! The offer of no fees unless you win does not cover the other side so you may not have to pay your lawyer anything but you would have to pay theres if you lost.

I am so stressed by all this now - why cant it be simple:mad::mad::mad:

I've been looking more into the Statute of Limitations today and also asking a lawyer friend of mine and Ive been told that it usually starts from the date of knowledge of the potential cause of action so I'm hoping this applies in our case!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I know this is naturally a very emotive topic very close to your hearts and concerns over your health, but can we please not post names, details etc of doctors and/or solicitors on this thread. These posts/details will be deleted/not approved as it could get this site into legal trouble. Hope you understand and thank you

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement