Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resuming dialogue with the PTB

Options
  • 23-02-2012 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭

This is a new thread so not to spoil Sparks earlier thread asking whether NARGC should be excluded from the FCP.

I'm asking the question: What do the other shooting bodies who are part of the FCP do if NARGC won't engage with the Doj/Minister/AGS etc etc.

Should they move on without them? How would this work, etc etc?

And just to clarify, I'm not anti NARGC. I'm anti NO DIALOGUE with the powers that be.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

But will the ptb do anything after all this dialogue ? I'd be all for it if it lead to something concrete , but if the fcp turns into a talking shop with no results whats the point ? The other orgs should at least try with or without the nargc, it can't hurt can it ?

With the amount of serious incidents with legally held firearms over the past few months (at least three in the past few days) including seals being shot , murders etc , i wouldn't be surprised if shatter didn't seek to tighten up firearms laws to be seen to be doing something in the media, its in times like these that the fcp would be invaluable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

I will go out on a limb here and prepare to have eggs, cabbage and rotten eggs flung at me.....just wait while I tighten the stocks....:D

Go out with the NARGC until a consultative panel is formed that has clear aims and a meaningful role whose decision and power is recognised and accepted by all.

The PTB made a mockery of the FCP (sorry sparks) At a stroke of a pen it was thanks very much however, thats not what we wanted. When Commissioners guidelines etc are produced, a licensing system is prepared and basic recommendations are ignored what use is a consultative panel. When Gardai can act ultra viraes (outside their powers) then what use is an FCP. Its a talking shop........ The NARGC seems to be an organisation that a lot of people like to dislike, but they seem to me to be the only ones willing to stand up to the plate and fight a corner on various fronts. In relation to the court cases lets see what comes out of them..it hasn't gone away you know:)

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭meathshooter1

With respect to the fcp I'm sure everybodys intensions where honorable far from the last governments intensions.the nargc are not anti garda they want a fair system how can you achive that with the same people pulling the strings different minister ok but that's about it .its the same people advising the minister.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Personally,I think they should try to reactivate the FCP,as by and large the firearms law problems are more target shooting firearms related than actual game hunting firearm problems.

Des Crofton once stated at a public meeting I was at that the whole handgun liscensing issue wasnt NARGC's problem as they dont do target shooting,but they had to take it on due to the fact of cross pollination of target shooters/hunters membership of NARGC.

So it is time that maybe the target shooting section do try and move on and get somthing going?? Wether anything comes out of it is another story and days work..

Ok... 20k worth of shotgun game hunters shouldnt be excluded either.
    BUT that is up to them to ask of their reps as to WHY they have been excluded from talks for whatever reason?
    And why the NARGC wont talk to anyone in the DOJ,apart from the fiery rehortic and court case wins???
    However,I see just as much problems with getting the target shooting side to the table as well.:(

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Go out with the NARGC until a consultative panel is formed that has clear aims and a meaningful role whose decision and power is recognised and accepted by all.
    Except that that is what we had before all the court cases.
    And everyone keeps saying they saw no results, but frankly, that's dross.

Did you see the FCP bring the Minister to heel? No. That doesn't mean the FCP is useless - the NARGC, for example, has never managed to bring a Minister to heel either, at best they managed to annoy one or two for as long as it took that Minister to turn around, spend less than a week in total, and deliver the two largest kickings our sports ever received in the entire history of the state. (And no, I'm sorry, Frank Brophy's case doesn't count, not when all that has resulted in the long term from that is what we were already offered in talks back in the 1990s).

What did the FCP manage to do? Amongst other things:
    • Got every shooting body in Ireland to work together on the one thing, in an organised, recognised way. Yes, there were those who protested, but frankly, they were protesting having to follow rules they wrote themselves. The simple fact is that nothing we've ever done has gotten that many bodies from the shooting community to sit down regularly and work through things together. I'm mentioning this first, because frankly, this alone would have been worth the cost of admission. But it's not all we got.
    • We became a known quantity inside the DoJ and AGS. Some of us, who pushed for talks with the PTB for years, were already known quantites. Others weren't. And in our sports, an unknown quantity is to the PTB somewhat akin to a rat during the Black Death (for the history freaks, substitute "cat" for "rat"). Being a known quantity means that when we put forward what we need for our sports, the DoJ and AGS hear the word "need", instead of the word "want". The difference is about as subtle and small as a concrete block thrown off an overpass into rush hour traffic.
    • Pistols weren't banned. I've said it before, and nobody seems to cop to this, so let me be explicit here. Ahern didn't tell anyone before he announced he'd ban pistols. Nobody. The order came down the pipeline, nothing went up to cause it. And so the first people to hear about it were the DoJ. Not the NGBs, and not the NARGC. And the people who convinced the Minister to not just ban everything outright (which was within his powers and arguably in his best interests politically), were the DoJ. Folks can jump up and down and scream all they want that they'd go to court and fight a ban, but it's all bull****. If the Minister decides he's banning pistols in Ireland, there are no legal avenues through which to seek to challange that ban. Let me restate that - you can't go to the courts in Ireland, because they rule on the laws of the country, and the Minister writes those. It'd be like going to the ref in the All-Ireland finals to get him to force the GAA to use a rugby ball for GAA football. And you can't go to the EU, because the EU specifically states that when it comes to firearms, member states are completely free to have stricter rules than the EU standard. That's (one of the reasons) why the UK ban on pistols can't be overturned by the EU. So the only way to prevent a full ban was to know the people involved and have them understand our needs before the ban was put in place. Which is what happened.
    • Centerfire pistols weren't banned. This isn't a small point either - restricted short firearms were banned. For right this second, that's the same thing; that's a given. But here's the long view - if centerfire pistols had been banned in statute, we'd need a new firearms act and a Minister willing to defend their reintroduction against an opposition looking to score points, while gun crime happily makes every headline from donegal to cork. What Minister wants to be known for that? Nobody would support it. But because of how the ban was done, all that's needed is for an SI to be altered, and centerfire pistols can come back. It'd take a Minister's signature, yes; but it wouldn't go near a Dail or Seanad session. It could be done in a matter of days.
    • So, to summarise the pistols thing; without the FCP, you'd have none and no hope of getting them back. Because of the FCP, you have air and smallbore pistols, a legal mechanism up and running that licences pistols, and a clear and simple avenue to reintroducing fullbore pistols.
    • Your dentist can't bar you from having a firearms licence on grounds of mental health. No, I'm not joking you, that was the original plan (along with a dozen other healthcare professionals, only one of which was an actual psychologist). The FCP blocked it.
    • You can shoot with penetrating ammunition. Again, I jest not, the original restricted list SI said that penetrating ammunition was to be restricted (incidentally, that particular draft was NARGC-approved, it was the SSAI who pointed out that somebody had meant to say armour-piercing and had gotten too clever for themselves).
    • The Firearms Policy Unit don't regard us as a bunch of borderline yahoos because they've spent time working with us on the FCP. People will say that the FPU can't call Chief Supers to heel so they're useless; those people seem ignorant to the fact that they're saying a group who handles 90% of the problems quickly, quietly and without fuss, is somehow a failure. No solution gets 100% of the problems. That's why you usually have multiple ways to fix a problem all running in parallel.
    • The ranges and clubs SIs are at least workable and we can continue to tweak them as needed. Those who think that's a small thing don't remember the pre-FCP days when the Gardai showed up at your range with a copy of the JSP firearms standards (which cost €20k for a copy) and demanded that you adhere to it (they might go easy on you and not require that you cater to 20mm anti-tank rounds). Ask Rathdrum about the good old days...
    • The FCP gave us access to government and state bodies other than the DoJ and AGS; the Sports Council, for example, were also members, and frankly, the more they learn about us the better, because they don't seem to know very much at all (with the exception of the high performance unit).

You could keep on making that list all night, listing off stupider and stupider things the FCP saved us from; some people wouldn't see those as being victories (but frankly, those people lack the imagination to see how bad those stupid things would have been); some will (without hint of irony) ask what all those things had to do with their specific interests; some will even suggest that stupid things don't make it into law (despite being in a sport governed by legislation that makes target shooting outside of an authorised range an illegal act with massive fines and hefty jail sentences; but fails to define what target shooting actually is).

Personally, though, even with its limitations and failings (and there are many of both; nothing's perfect), I still maintain that the FCP was the best thing we ever had when it comes to us and the PTB.

And it seems to me that we've pissed it away for nothing.

• Advertisement

"The best thing or the only thing"...It doesn't mean it was right, as I see it the trust that is needed for it to workwas blown away. A ot of club members have said it why bother chasing pistol cases we are gun clubs. Maybe the NARGC should stay out of it, but then I know NARGC members with pistols. The argument will go around in circles its time to xxx or get of the pot. Call a meeting and see what happens?? or have a meeting between ye and see what needs to be ironed out. Kofi Anann is available first week in april, I asked George Mitchell but he is unavailable

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Sparks wrote: »
    Personally, though, even with its limitations and failings (and there are many of both; nothing's perfect), I still maintain that the FCP was the best thing we ever had when it comes to us and the PTB.

So if it is the best thing we ever had when it comes to us and the PTB, why not kick start it again? Re-engage with the authorities. There has to be some sort of constructive dialogue to try and convince the Minister/DoJ/AGS etc etc that we aren't a bunch of gun toting nuts, that we are in fact sensible law abiding sports people who want nothing else but to take part in our chosen sport.

Now, I don't know the ins and outs of restarting it but is it a possibility?

Pistols weren't banned. I've said it before, and nobody seems to cop to this, so let me be explicit here. Ahern didn't tell anyone before he announced he'd ban pistols. Nobody.

May 2008 Association of Garda Sargents and Inspectors speech.
    " I intend to significantly tighten up the number of firearms liscenses in public hands and especially the growth of handguns in Ireland"

there are no legal avenues through which to seek to challange that ban. Let me restate that - you can't go to the courts in Ireland, because they rule on the laws of the country, and the Minister writes those. It'd be like going to the ref in the All-Ireland finals to get him to force the GAA to use a rugby ball for GAA football. And you can't go to the EU, because the EU specifically states that when it comes to firearms, member states are completely free to have stricter rules than the EU standard. That's (one of the reasons) why the UK ban on pistols can't be overturned by the EU.

Not quite... Maybe not on the firearms rules ,but on the rules of EU citizenship equality..
    Without going into massive EU law tome which gives me a brain freeze just looking at it,and way beyond my barrack room lawyer abilities..And this is one being asked by some top German lawyers on a different matter,but not disilimar to this problem we have here.
    But apprently you cannot be discriminated as an EU citizen from obtaining the same rights or privilidges as enjoyed by other EU citizens.
    IOW if Pierre,Hans,Guido and John have certain privilidges and in some case rights to use a certain type of firearm under their laws of their respective countries.Why is Paddy the odd man out??Yet again??Like with his VRT,and a few dozen other problems swept under the Irish carpet.
    And the Govt saying move to another juristiction,doesnt cut it either..

It might be hard to define do you have a "right" to own firearms in the EU of a certain type??Its the reason annoying social problems keep appearing here since the 1980s .Like the abortion issue and all it contails.
    Even the Dutch are about to run aground on this with their Dutch citizens only coffee shop rule.IOW only Dutch residents or citizens can only buy grass anymore in their coffee shops.The rest of the EU and world citizenry must do without!!

The BIG trouble is this costs an absolute fortune to argue in the European courts of money ...er... Justice!! Where we are talking of four figures in the HC here as big money.You are a real player for this if you can dump a five or even six figure on the EU table to just start the process.
    so yes it might as well be banned,just due to the complexity and financial problem.However watch this space if a case like this does come up on somthing like the coffee shop issue.
    • Your dentist can't bar you from having a firearms licence on grounds of mental health. No, I'm not joking you, that was the original plan (along with a dozen other healthcare professionals, only one of which was an actual psychologist). The FCP blocked it.

Err.wasnt this a storm in a teacup last year.With the assoc of medical professionals looking for somthing to do and make more money?????
    long after the end of the fCP?:confused:

Can I ask here Sparks...Why are you saying that you bemoan the loss of the FCP.Yet when folks say ok lets see if it can be got up and running again you say its pointless because a certain shouty fellow wont sit there with them and go with the democratic majority,albeit that he has 20k worth of hunters behind him??Correct me if I'm wrong,but with 250k worth of liscensed firearms here and most of them being IFA members,doesnt that put his organisation in the minority anyway on the previous FCP??
    I just dont understand where you are coming from on this??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    May 2008 Association of Garda Sargents and Inspectors speech.
    ...which wasn't a total ban.
    Not quite... Maybe not on the firearms rules ,but on the rules of EU citizenship equality.
    Sorry, no.
    Two things to remember:
    1. Article 3 of the EU directive on firearms controls (91/477/EEC for the curious) states: "Member States may adopt in their legislation provisions which are more stringent that those provided for in this Directive, subject to the rights conferred on residents of the Member States by Article 12" (Article 12 was the bit saying you could travel on a europass between states, and it has a clause explicitly saying I can't use a europass to take a firearm into a country where it's banned, like a smallbore pistol into the UK).
      In other words, the EU explicitly stated over 20 years ago that if a member state wanted to crack down on firearms ownership, that was grand by the EU.
    2. If I'm wrong about that, why has nobody from the UK (where they have a heck of a lot more shooters, manhours and money) ever successfully overturned their pistol ban that way?
    Can I ask here Sparks...Why are you saying that you bemoan the loss of the FCP.Yet when folks say ok lets see if it can be got up and running again you say its pointless because a certain shouty fellow wont sit there with them and go with the democratic majority,albeit that he has 20k worth of hunters behind him??Correct me if I'm wrong,but with 250k worth of liscensed firearms here and most of them being IFA members,doesnt that put his organisation in the minority anyway on the previous FCP??
    I just dont understand where you are coming from on this??

We've been saying on here and on ranges and in pubs for 20 years or more Grizz, that we all stand together or we all hang seperately (though personally, I always had a problem with that particular notion).

Partly, I'm asking the question to highlight the downsides of that idea.

But the rest of me (and that's the larger part) is asking the question because I simply don't know the answer. This is one of those impossible situations.

We know we have to talk to the PTB. That's just a fact, nobody disputes it, not even the NARGC (see their latest statements).

And basic fairness says it has to be even-handed. So we can't just cut out 20,000 shooters and say they can't be represented; but we also can't allow one NGB to dictate to every other NGB and shooter in the country (including the much larger group on the FCP list, the IFA - representing every shotgun-owning farmer in Ireland, which is a number far higher than 20,000!), as to what approach they may or may not take.

Frankly, if there's a fast and simple solution to all of this, I'm not seeing it.

Err.wasnt this a storm in a teacup last year.With the assoc of medical professionals looking for somthing to do and make more money?????
    long after the end of the fCP?:confused:
    No, it dates back a long time before that (back to around 2007 or so I think). Seperate incident entirely, it was resolved before the new forms came out.

• Advertisement

QUOTE=Sparks;77258278]...which wasn't a total ban.
    [/QUOTE]
    But it certainly was a portent of what was going to come in the future of 12 months to his next speech at the same organisation..

1. Article 3 of the EU directive on firearms controls (91/477/EEC for the curious) states: "Member States may adopt in their legislation provisions which are more stringent that those provided for in this Directive, subject to the rights conferred on residents of the Member States by Article 12" (Article 12 was the bit saying you could travel on a europass between states, and it has a clause explicitly saying I can't use a europass to take a firearm into a country where it's banned, like a smallbore pistol into the UK).
      In other words, the EU explicitly stated over 20 years ago that if a member state wanted to crack down on firearms ownership, that was grand by the EU.
    And we are not debating that legislation.Ths is coming at the problem from a different angle and of possible precedent law in relation to a different matter.

If I'm wrong about that, why has nobody from the UK (where they have a heck of a lot more shooters, manhours and money) ever successfully overturned their pistol ban that way?

You are not wrong on the firearms legislation bit at all.The human rights bit,which I belive would or will set precedent for us has always been there,but it has always required a person or group ,lots of money and time and the circumstances in legislation to challange it.

Put it like this you certainly can have justice in the EU court of money,if you can afford it,and here we are talking millions!!! There are enough people here in Ireland who knew the VRT was illegal,but there wasnt anyone intrested or botherd enough to throw a million Punts at the time on the table to challange it.

As simply put if you had a million quid and were a shooter would you be too arsed about the law here,when it is basically an academic exercise to hop on a plane anytime you want and fly to an EU country of your choice to go and shoot what ever you fancy and have over in wherever??
    And certainly[for you] were youin that lucky situation it would be just a point scoring exercise to tweak big brothers EU nose on ths point of law!
    To those who dont have the means to fight somthing like this just because of sheer cost it would mean everything.:(

To those who have the money the point is totally irrevelant!:D

So to answer your question,Even the UK lads wouldnt have the money to do this.AndTBH with the connections from the UK and its hundreds of cheaper ways to mainland Europe,are they really too botherd?If you can reach the best shooting countries within two hours flight timeOr less to NI?? from any major British city??And be home again for tea in the evening?

We've been saying on here and on ranges and in pubs for 20 years or more Grizz, that we all stand together or we all hang seperately (though personally, I always had a problem with that particular notion).

Partly, I'm asking the question to highlight the downsides of that idea.
    But the rest of me (and that's the larger part) is asking the question because I simply don't know the answer. This is one of those impossible situations.

It is impossible alright at the minute,but wouldnt it be better if we could get it somhow to extremely difficult,then maybe difficult,possibly later awkward,then maybe relatively awkward,and on down??
    We know we have to talk to the PTB. That's just a fact, nobody disputes it, not even the NARGC (see their latest statements).

But not going to happen if one side is going to be a primma donna about it,and the others are not going to participate because it isnt fair on Donna!!

And basic fairness says it has to be even-handed. So we can't just cut out 20,000 shooters and say they can't be represented; but we also can't allow one NGB to dictate to every other NGB and shooter in the country (including the much larger group on the FCP list, the IFA - representing every shotgun-owning farmer in Ireland, which is a number far higher than 20,000!), as to what approach they may or may not take.

Idont think it would be a case of slamming and bolting it in NARGCs face forever more.It should be more "if you want to act like a adult repersenting 20k worth of your members,who might be asking why arent we at this table then..please join us...
    But keep the toys in the pram,if it immediately doesnt go 100% your way"
    [Grossly oversimplyifing it here I know]

Think you would have to have some sort of proportional repersentation on this body if that is the right description???Another labour of Hercelus right there to get that sorted out!!
    Frankly, if there's a fast and simple solution to all of this, I'm not seeing it.
    There isnt,but a thousand mile journey starts with a single step.
    The NI peace process springs to mind here It would be not better to at least have some people talking to the opposition than none at all??

Next question would be will DOJ/AGS actually talk to us as well?And maybe just as important,take on ,listen and act on what we say in the future??

But it certainly was a portent of what was going to come in the future of 12 months to his next speech at the same organisation..
    Only in hindsight, and even then you're stretching it Grizz - Minister at the AGSI AGM always make speeches that say they're going to do what the AGS would like them to do. When a Minister isn't likely to say that (like McDowell, back when he was rowing with them), he doesn't get invited...
    And we are not debating that legislation.Ths is coming at the problem from a different angle and of possible precedent law in relation to a different matter.
    If someone can provide that precedent, then yay.
    But frankly, when a directive specifically states that it's okay for Member States to crack down harder than the EU standard, I don't think you've got a hope in hell of winning.
    This isn't a human right (as recognised by anyone bar the US) we're talking about here Grizz. As far as the EU is concerned, this is a non-issue.
    As simply put if you had a million quid and were a shooter
    Grizz, if I was a millionaire, I wouldn't spend one penny on any lawsuit that I didn't really have to fight. And by really, I mean "do this or lose your sport tonight". And honestly, I've not yet seen a single lawsuit in the last 20 years for which that was true. I've seen suits for individual people who were having no success in getting individual licences; but those, with the best will in the world, do not save entire sports.

I'd save this hypothetical money for more important things, like prize money funds for national matches, PR efforts, setting up clubs, supporting existing clubs, bringing in more juniors and newbies, buying capital equipment for clubs, supporting our high-level shooters, making political donations to whatever TD happened to be the Minister, and building my own, fully authorised, 10m airgun range in my back yard.

And frankly, if more of us thought that way, I think we'd be better off.
    I'm here to shoot, not Fight De Man.
    TBH with the connections from the UK and its hundreds of cheaper ways to mainland Europe,are they really too botherd?If you can reach the best shooting countries within two hours flight timeOr less to NI?? from any major British city??And be home again for tea in the evening?
    You might ask Mick Gault that question.
    Once he regained the power of speech, I think he'd answer that they would indeed prefer to not have to fly to mainland europe...
    It is impossible alright at the minute,but wouldnt it be better if we could get it somhow to extremely difficult,then maybe difficult,possibly later awkward,then maybe relatively awkward,and on down??
    How?
    But not going to happen if one side is going to be a primma donna about it,and the others are not going to participate because it isnt fair on Donna!
    Succinctly put...

Think you would have to have some sort of proportional repersentation on this body if that is the right description???Another labour of Hercelus right there to get that sorted out!!
    I'm stamping a great big None of my beeswax thank you very much on that one. Far as I'm concerned, it's a large black box marked "NARGC", I don't know (and don't really care) what happens inside.
    There isnt,but a thousand mile journey starts with a single step.
    The NI peace process springs to mind here It would be not better to at least have some people talking to the opposition than none at all?
    *cough, cough*

The PTB made a mockery of the FCP (sorry sparks)
    I've been meaning to ask CS, if I can do it to point out that the FCP was a success, you can do the same to point out that it wasn't, right?
    At a stroke of a pen it was thanks very much however, thats not what we wanted.
    What stroke of a pen, specifically?
    When Commissioners guidelines etc are produced, a licensing system is prepared and basic recommendations are ignored what use is a consultative panel.
    The Commissioner doesn't answer to the FCP.
    The Minister doesn't answer to the FCP.
    So if you want a body that can bring both to heel and spank them in public, the FCP ain't it.

So what body can? (And don't just name them, give a specific example).
    (And boards.ie doesn't count, you might argue we managed it once, but I'd argue we were just a communications conduit, and the grassroots folks managed it themselves)

And I've already pointed out a few specific cases where the FCP did get basic recommendations listened to, so maybe you could tell us which ones were not listened to?

Only in hindsight, and even then you're stretching it Grizz - Minister at the AGSI AGM always make speeches that say they're going to do what the AGS would like them to do. When a Minister isn't likely to say that (like McDowell, back when he was rowing with them), he doesn't get invited...

A already anti gun justice minister ,and he's saying what the Assoc GS&I wants to him to say...Tail wagging the dog??Either which way,when I hear an Irish politican say the words "Guns","legislation","too lax","tighten up"...
    I reach for the Galvescon these days!!!:eek:

If someone can provide that precedent, then yay.
    But frankly, when a directive specifically states that it's okay for Member States to crack down harder than the EU standard, I don't think you've got a hope in hell of winning.
    This isn't a human right (as recognised by anyone bar the US) we're talking about here Grizz. As far as the EU is concerned, this is a non-issue.

A human right no..A discriminatory ruling against EU citizens, possibly.

Grizz, if I was a millionaire, I wouldn't spend one penny on any lawsuit that I didn't really have to fight. And by really, I mean "do this or lose your sport tonight". And honestly, I've not yet seen a single lawsuit in the last 20 years for which that was true. I've seen suits for individual people who were having no success in getting individual licences; but those, with the best will in the world, do not save entire sports.

My point exactly,as you would be a millionare,so the whole problem becomes academic as to what gun you own in Ireland,as you can leave anytime you want to go to a more civillised European country to shoot for a day ,wek ,whatever..So why would you worry about what legislation is affecting the rest in the EU?
    I'd save this hypothetical money for more important things, like prize money funds for national matches, PR efforts, setting up clubs, supporting existing clubs, bringing in more juniors and newbies, buying capital equipment for clubs, supporting our high-level shooters, making political donations to whatever TD happened to be the Minister, and building my own, fully authorised, 10m airgun range in my back yard.

Hmm I reckon you would have the 3%gratitude rule kick in there right off.
    3% gratfeul 97% not.

And frankly, if more of us thought that way, I think we'd be better off.
    I'm here to shoot, not Fight De Man.

So am I,but the trouble is here in Ireland ,the moment you pick up a gun for sporting purposes you end up wether you like it or not in a fight da power scenario somwhere along the line.:(
    You might ask Mick Gault that question.
    Once he regained the power of speech, I think he'd answer that they would indeed prefer to not have to fly to mainland europe...

Indeed,but I could never understand why they simply didnt goto NI,channel Islands or Isle of man to shoot??

Succinctly put...
    So does that mean the rest of the cast skips dress rehearsal and practising the other scenes??

Signed FWIW! A long time ago:pac:

Other thing that should be asked is WHY is the NARGC behaving like it is???

Other thing that should be asked is WHY is the NARGC behaving like it is???
    I would say as a guess ? That they where giving assurances that where never acted on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If the NARGC do not want to enter into talks then we have no choice but to move on without them. I would not like to see this happen, but no one NGB/organisation should be in a position to hold others "hostage" because of membership numbers.

I'm a member of the NARGC, and another NGB. So as was said above out of their 27,000 members how many are actually just gun club members. My point being the "majority share" then think they hold is not quite the majority they think it is.
    I would say as a guess ? That they where giving assurances that where never acted on
    The answer, however frustrating to hear or deal with, is not to pull out of talks. If you do then your point goes from being heard, and acted/not acted on, to just not heard.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

It's a fair enough guess, but I'd love to hear a specific answer from them at some point (and I don't mean a PR statement, I mean a list of specific problems that they felt could not be resolved with the FCP and which were serious enough to give up the FCP (and how they planned to solve those problems would be nice - if one of the problems is that the FCP had no veto over a sitting Minister, that's just not a valid problem really, because nobody is allowed that under our constitution).

(and I don't mean a PR statement, I mean a list of specific problems that they felt could not be resolved with the FCP and which were serious enough to give up the FCP (and how they planned to solve those problems would be nice .

I think that should be sorted among the panel before they look to go forward ,and sort out there differences,every body needs to get behind each other.I'M sure the NARGC are very active in looking at ways of solving the situation.its also up to the other stake holders,the NARGC are NOT unreasonable unapproachable people by far.

.I'M sure the NARGC are very active in looking at ways of solving the situation.its also up to the other stake holders,the NARGC are NOT unreasonable unapproachable people by far.
    That's not what their press statements have been saying:
    NARGC wrote:
    Unfortunately, the High Court settlement has not bought tuppence worth of peace in relation to how the Gardai operate the licensing system and NARGC is determined to continue the battle in the courts until someone in the political establishment engages with us with a view to bringing forward a lasting peace. Neither current DOJ officials nor any member of the Garda Siochana are capable of commanding the trust and respect necessary to deliver that peace. Certainly, NARGC will not again sit with such people.
    Seems fairly unapproachable to me to be honest.

• Advertisement

I dont see any mention of the other NGB in that statement which would be a good place to start from?

I dont see any mention of the other NGB in that statement which would be a good place to start from?
    See, this is my point - the statement is all about what the NARGC demands, what the NARGC will not accept and so on, and it states that the only way to resolve the issues is for the PTB to talk to the NARGC. Not the NARGC and the other shooting bodies, just the NARGC.

Now, don't get me wrong, on it's own, that's just a PR statement and you could accept awkward wording as just that. But this is at the tail end of years of walking away from the other NGBs, burning their efforts in the FCP, and generally ditching the idea of a united front.

To me, that makes them unapproachable, both for the other NGBs (because press releases like that make it seem like the NARGC's idea of a united front is one where the NARGC rules the roost, which is not in the best interests of the members of other NGBs on both general principle and for specific cases), and for the PTB (because press releases like that make it really, really hard to entertain the notion that you could sit down with the NARGC in good faith because it sounds like the moment they encountered anything they didn't like - regardless of the merits of the case - they'd go right back to the courts and the press).

This is the thing, and I've said it before, you can't spend years badmouthing people in the press and the courts, call them incompetent, call them corrupt, call for them to be fired; and then expect to be able to sit down and work with them as none of that ever happened. It's just not reasonable.

It would appear the quote from the press release reprinted above clearly states the NARGC problem and I would guess the problem alot of shooters have, a lack of trust.

However other Organisations don't seem to have that problem what so ever,(Sparks you have highlighted this on numerous occasions) so fire away and start having the meetings. But there is no point having a talking shop when elements of the DOJ etc have no interest in taking on board what was said.

S
    This is the thing, and I've said it before, you can't spend years badmouthing people in the press and the courts, call them incompetent, call them corrupt, call for them to be fired; and then expect to be able to sit down and work with them as none of that ever happened. It's just not reasonable.

And if the cap seems to fit.......call me daft here but are you saying that the DOJ etc where 100% and above board in their dealings with the shooting community

By the way yesterday this wasn't a thread open for discussion this was a thread where an answer was to be given to a question being asked...... Whats changed

By the way yesterday this wasn't a thread open for discussion this was a thread where an answer was to be given to a question being asked...... Whats changed
    What happened was that I had both threads open in seperate tabs and posted in the wrong one :o My bad, I'll fix it...

...fixed. Thanks for the headsup CS.

No bother it's easier to follow now...we end up repeating the arguments:D

It would appear the quote from the press release reprinted above clearly states the NARGC problem and I would guess the problem alot of shooters have, a lack of trust.

what is needed is a centralized process and some of the powers taken from the gardai,they have showed they cant be trusted ,I agree that the gardai will always have some part in the process in vetting,security arrangement,but the rest of the process should be made up from people who know about firearms,under the dept of sport,and a process of appeal which is fair and transparent,which doesn't involve been in a criminal court in front of every criminal to see that you have firearms.I can understand the NARGC having gone through the appeal process myself,also mods been refused,second shotgun or rifle,ETC,due to lack of knowledge. its a case of shut up and take what your giving?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Here's the thing though. It's not a democratic relationship. It can't direct anyone. It never can because it doesn't have a legislative mandate to do so. The decisions come from the minister, ultimately. Now, you can have a direct route by which to communicate with the decision makers, or you can be out in the cold. It really is as simple as that when you get down to it. Sparks has already outlined a number of ways in which bad things have been prevented and good things have been achieved. You can say that it hasn't all gone right and that parts of the consultation were ignored, but would it have been better not to have had it, having your dentist sign off on your mental health, or ammunition that penetrates anything being restricted/banned? Pistols banned outright? Now, you can go forward knowing that either way, you can't effectively direct policy, because that would be illegal. In one scenario, you're at least able to make yourself heard. In the other, you only get to bitch quietly. Which is better?

Reminds me of the film Oliver twist Please sir can I have some more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Lets face it, if we don't have any constructive contact/dialogue with the Minister/DoJ/AGS etc on issues of crucial importance to us, then we are going backwards. We'll just have to take whatever comes our way............and if there is no dialogue, we have no input into the process.

Yes, I am fully aware that the Minister doesn't have to listen to us, but surely if we foster some sort of working relationship with the DoJ/Minister/ AGS, then we have a greater chance of being listened to than if we stand outside shouting in calling them a pack of crooks etc.

Personally I don't want to exclude 27,000 shooters from the table, but I don't want to be held to ransom by them either.

And reactivating the FCP or something similar seems to be the best way of getting our views on critically important matters heard by the top brass.

Advertisement