Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Oxford_

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

Where is Nancy's?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

cambridge wrote: »
    Being patronising and condescending isn't necessarily bullying. I know Ginge Young and derek99er can take a few slags, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. There is a certain degree of freedom of speech on this site and I am just giving you my opinions and my views, you don't have to agree but don't try and shout me down. You don't contribute much around here yourself daniel.

http://jezebel.com/5881691/dorky-teacher-slays-student-in-rap-battle

this is me and you
    No. Haven't seen any of your "slags". What exactly are you contributing anyway?

And it's just not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

Cambridge is a voice of reason amongst all the hollow empty promises of the other candidates.

Cambridge will elevate UL to be on par with, nay, exceed the likes of havard, MIT, Oxford and his own namesake.

Cambridge for SU President!

Cambridge for the USI!

Cambridge for the dail!

Heil fuhrer Cambridge!

I've got your back pal. Behind your 10 year plan 100%

Stalin only managed pathetic 5 year plans! Pah!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Again, thanks for the reply, as for as the Irish issue goes, I can understand your position, but there are a few areas where the SU has a responsibility to the Irish Language, specificlly to represent the Interests of Irish speaking students, especially those studying Irish as part of their degree, one specific example being the lack of computers with Irish Spelling and Grammer check in the library, which makes life difficult for students who have to write essays in Irish.
    Another being the role of Irish Officer in the SU, which currently is not fulfilling its function in any meaningful way.
    I dont think that should be a problem for the student union as it is course related. Get your class rep to talk to your course head\ department head about this issuse they will have it sorted out. Why does the SU need an Irish officer and what is s/he ment to be doing?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

Again, thanks for the reply, as for as the Irish issue goes, I can understand your position, but there are a few areas where the SU has a responsibility to the Irish Language, specificlly to represent the Interests of Irish speaking students, especially those studying Irish as part of their degree, one specific example being the lack of computers with Irish Spelling and Grammer check in the library, which makes life difficult for students who have to write essays in Irish.
    Another being the role of Irish Officer in the SU, which currently is not fulfilling its function in any meaningful way.

Well thanks for bring the matter to my attention, have to admit I wasn't aware of most of that.

Do the Irish speaking students have their own common room, i think this is done in other universities in ireland and is very popular. Just a room with a kettle and a fridge where everyone speaks irish. Are any of the college accommodations have Irish language houses/ floors etc.? Again that's something I've seen before, e.g. let's saw the entire Mallard house in thomond is reserved for people who can prove they can and will speak Irish in it. If the demand isn't there just made it a floor or an apartment etc. Those would be two things i think the su could help put in place if they aren't already.

I think PC libraries not having Irish Language dictionary installed for Word etc. is ridiculous. How to students get around that? can they manually installed the dictionaries themselves or do you need admin privileges to do that? it sounds like something that can/should be fixed quite easily. I reckon aoife kenny and the appropriate library / itd people could get that sorted. do they know about the issue?

So what's the story with the irish officer? There is one? It's voluntary and elected? But the person doing it isn't particularly good or are their hands tied? Sounds like an issue the su should be looking into. I'd encourage you to let derek99er know what the irish officer should be doing, why you think it's not happening and see if there is an recourse.

yekahS wrote: »
    Cambridge is a voice of reason amongst all the hollow empty promises of the other candidates.

Cambridge will elevate UL to be on par with, nay, exceed the likes of havard, MIT, Oxford and his own namesake.

Cambridge for SU President!

Cambridge for the USI!

Cambridge for the dail!

Heil fuhrer Cambridge!

I've got your back pal. Behind your 10 year plan 100%

Stalin only managed pathetic 5 year plans! Pah!

good man, slowly but surely turning people around. get the momentum going now. thanks mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Jester252 wrote: »
    I dont think that should be a problem for the student union as it is course related. Get your class rep to talk to your course head\ department head about this issuse they will have it sorted out. Why does the SU need an Irish officer and what is s/he ment to be doing?

Not my Class rep, I'm not doing Irish as part of my course personally but Irish as mentioned previously is an Interest of mine.
    The role of the SU is to represent students, this is an issue that students need representing on.
    There is an Irish Officer because the ULSU constitution has promoting the Irish Language as an aim, they are supposed to be promoting the Irish Language in the Union and among the student population.
    Well thanks for bring the matter to my attention, have to admit I wasn't aware of most of that.

Do the Irish speaking students have their own common room, i think this is done in other universities in ireland and is very popular. Just a room with a kettle and a fridge where everyone speaks irish. Are any of the college accommodations have Irish language houses/ floors etc.? Again that's something I've seen before, e.g. let's saw the entire Mallard house in thomond is reserved for people who can prove they can and will speak Irish in it. If the demand isn't there just made it a floor or an apartment etc. Those would be two things i think the su could help put in place if they aren't already.

I think PC libraries not having Irish Language dictionary installed for Word etc. is ridiculous. How to students get around that? can they manually installed the dictionaries themselves or do you need admin privileges to do that? it sounds like something that can/should be fixed quite easily. I reckon aoife kenny and the appropriate library / itd people could get that sorted. do they know about the issue?

So what's the story with the irish officer? There is one? It's voluntary and elected? But the person doing it isn't particularly good or are their hands tied? Sounds like an issue the su should be looking into. I'd encourage you to let derek99er know what the irish officer should be doing, why you think it's not happening and see if there is an recourse.

There is an Irish Language Room, though to be honnest its not too popular, its tucked away in the languages building, and is controled by the University so has a very 'formal' atmosphere.
    There was a housing scheem last year, but it was cancled, hopefully it will be sorted for next year though.
    As for Irish on computers, ITD would have to do it, its been an ongoing issue for a few years now, I have seen documents from 2005 talking about it, nothing has been done so far though.

There is supposed to be an Irish officer, a friend of mine is nominaly in the position, though they have not officially been elected. The problem is that there is no clear role for them to fulfill, I would not say it is a problem with the people who have held the position, the current person who is in the position has done nothing with it, but is very active with the Cumann Gaelach, so its not a lack of interest or ability. Nothing is ever done with the role because it is generally treated as an aftertought by the SU, the Irish Officer is not expected or encouraged to do anything, so they don't.

I know the SU is to rep student but that only applys to a small group of student so it would be best sorted by a class rep on a Irish course. As for the Irish officer I think that it is an example of Irish being shoehorned into everything I don't see why is it not droped and the Irish soc (I know it real name) look after its events. Ye will have more money for events, ye will pick up members and it will give ye more PR.

When will the names be up for election and is the voting online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

good man, slowly but surely turning people around. get the momentum going now. thanks mate

No problem.

You've already performed a good public service exposing the ineptitude of the current excuse of a union.

Full steam ahead now.

Cambridge! The great white hope!

• Advertisement

yekahS wrote: »
    Cambridge! The great white hope!
    Campain slogan?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Jester252 wrote: »
    Campain slogan?

Sounds about right...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭reunion

Any chance we could take this back to actually talk about rumours for sabbats next year and not about sid_justice cambridge trolling?

He isn't a legitimate candidate

Also a faceless campaign will be hard with hustings and getting a campaign team ready.

Either way, the rumour is Sid_justice cambridge is running for SU president.

Any other rumours/accounts cambridge wants to create to run for the other positions?

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    Sounds about right...

:o
    I meant that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 31 bambismom

Dee wilson, took her 4 years to build up the courage to run for election, is this the type of character you want in the sU?

I rarely comment on boards but I found this post rather insulting. For the past four years, I have been rumoured to be running for communications to president and everything in between. Anybody that knows me, is aware that I have always planned to finish my degree before ever considering seeking nomination for any office.

I would consider myself a courageous person and do not appreciate being labelled otherwise, in the same way that I do not appreciate being called Dee by people who do not know me. "Dee" is a term of endearment used by my friends and unless you are willing to state your name and our friendship on boards, I would prefer if you called me Deirdre.

In reference to the upcoming elections, it has been rumoured that I plan on running for the education office. I can confirm that it is exactly that, a rumour.

Yours,
    Deirdre Wilson

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

reunion wrote: »
    Any chance we could take this back to actually talk about rumours for sabbats next year and not about sid_justice cambridge trolling?

Also a faceless campaign will be hard with hustings and getting a campaign team ready.

Either way, the rumour is Sid_justice cambridge is running for SU president.
    Hey, you're the one assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

It's a pity that the trolls forget that an election is nothing more than a beauty contest, and to start a campaign in a manner as has been shown and suggested here is nothing more than a guarantee of failure before starting properly.

I do know that I would happily campaign against cambridge, if they were to attempt to run for a sabbatt position. I strongly disagree with their beliefs and methods as oulined above and I would also consider (having much more experience than them in the areas of both UL politics and national politics) that their ideas are actually dangerous to UL and its student and staff population and should not progress past this point. Honestly, I don't have the time to run myself as I'm not in a position to take a year out of my established career, but I'd happily do my best out of a sense of duty and responsibility to UL to ensure that cambridge did not get elected.

It appears it wouldn't take much anyway - just giving them enough rope to hang themselves...

reunion wrote: »

yes i am. Please stop implying I am Sid_justice reincarnate I am not endorsing his posts nor is he endorsing mine.

Hard but not impossible.

bambismom wrote: »
    I would prefer if you called me Deirdre.

In reference to the upcoming elections, it has been rumoured that I plan on running for the education office. I can confirm that it is exactly that, a rumour.

I'll call you anything you want love, a rose by any other name. For all your courage you can't even confirm or deny you're contesting the elections. That's the kind of executive mindedness and decisiveness we need in the su. NAWT.
    Popoutman wrote: »
    It's a pity that the trolls forget that an election is nothing more than a beauty contest, and to start a campaign in a manner as has been shown and suggested here is nothing more than a guarantee of failure before starting properly.

got a source for this or are you making it up as you go along?
    I do know that I would happily campaign against cambridge, if they were to attempt to run for a sabbatt position. I strongly disagree with their beliefs and methods as oulined above and I would also consider (having much more experience than them in the areas of both UL politics and national politics) that their ideas are actually dangerous to UL and its student and staff population and should not progress past this point.

Fairly big headed there. Self praise is no praise in my book. I've never heard of you, what have you actually achieved in student or national politics. I invite you to campaign against me I'd mop the floor with ya.
    Honestly, I don't have the time to run myself as I'm not in a position to take a year out of my established career, but I'd happily do my best out of a sense of duty and responsibility to UL to ensure that cambridge did not get elected

another malingering time waster. do you even have a vote?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭PinkBottle

[
    bambismom wrote: »

Yours,
    Deirdre Wilson
    For all your courage you can't even confirm or deny you're contesting the elections. That's the kind of executive mindedness and decisiveness we need in the su. NAWT.

Eh, Cambridge, did she not just confirm that it was a rumour??

Yes, she confirmed it was a rumour. She did not however state if it was a false rumour or just unconfirmed.

I can say there is a rumour I am Sid-Justice and I can confirm that it is a rumour but that doesn't mean I am saying I am or am not Sid-justice. this is.

I am not Sid-Justice.

She is trying to be sneaky using politico speak and you feel for it.

I have heard from her camp she hasn't decided if she has the courage enough to run against me, tbh i don't expect to see her name on the ballot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Yes, she confirmed it was a rumour. She did not however state if it was a false rumour or just unconfirmed.

I can say there is a rumour I am Sid-Justice and I can confirm that it is a rumour but that doesn't mean I am saying I am or am not Sid-justice. this is.

I am not Sid-Justice.

She is trying to be sneaky using politico speak and you feel for it.

I have heard from her camp she hasn't decided if she has the courage enough to run against me, tbh i don't expect to see her name on the ballot.

Until you confirm to us who you are, you are in no position to speak.

Chillax ginge, no need to swoop in all white knight on us. i'm sure the good deirdre wilson can fight her own e-battles.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

E-battle? I believe she was responding. Gives us a good look into what your actually here for.

Fair is fair, go on and tell us who you are. Meet up for coffee sometime, have a chat about things.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

your talking about courage when you wont even confirm who you are:rolleyes::rolleyes:

might take you up on that. going to the gym later with derek will ask him if he wants to come

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I'm the great white hope this college needs to get it back up there with the big boys but they won't pick me. they'll go for some spa with a mickey painted on his face giving out free tangle twisters in the court yard. that's how derek got elected the first time and it took 3 years of hurt, misery and pain to get rid of him.

i'll give it my best shot but it's a up hill battle. no body likes the taste of medicine, people don't want to bare the brunt of it. they'll go for some 21 year old jack the lad who will spend the su family savings on trips to the us for leadership seminars and run the only spar stores in the country that aren't profitable.

the dark days are not over, they've just begun and you're pulling the only man with the candle into the abyss. may god have mercy on our souls.

What was it you were saying about self praise..... :pac:
    Fairly big headed there. Self praise is no praise in my book. I've never heard of you, what have you actually achieved in student or national politics. I invite you to campaign against me I'd mop the floor with ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I here Martin Kehoe of 1st year Aero Eng, who already has a degree in Materials and Construction Technology Education, will be running for ULSU President.

any more information on him other than the fact he had to go back to college because he couldn't get a job?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

14923111.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

any more information on him other than the fact he had to go back to college because he couldn't get a job?

Martin decided to pursue an engineering degree before the end of his first degree. But well done on getting your character bashing outta the way quickly, you can go crawl back under your rock now :)

He is now and always was highly involved in clubs and societies and has spent a lot of time within ULSU. A very strong candidate.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement