Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

cambridge wrote: »
    no, it's common knowledge sabbat officers go missing around this time as they try get tickets for their next junket

Like....?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

re election to su?
    usi?
    getting an office job in fianna fail?

do you know anything?

re election to su?
    usi?
    getting an office job in fianna fail?

do you know anything?

Names for the first two, please.

aoife paddy and kelly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

glad someone is admitting to agreeing with me on thread. i know a lot of people reading are in agreement with me just don't want to say it publicly.

Don't agree with you at all. Your absurdity is amusing though.

• Advertisement

i know you have to pretend you don't agree with me, don't worry mate, secret safe with me. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Cambridge - I'm not going to bother jumping on the troll/not a troll, Sid/not Sid bandwagon. I don't know why you strive for credibility for your views while simultaneously trying to incite others against you, and I'm not going to ask.

However, when I started reading this thread, something rang a bell in my head (a proverbial bell of course) - I had a quick check back along the way and found the post in the UL EGM thread. Yes, I'm a bit of a creep for looking through your posts but I knew I remembered something.

In one of your first posts on this forum you stated:

if i didn't have contractual obligation to my phd i'd run for president myself and fix it.

First off - what is the content of your Phd? I only ask this as a direct response to the fact that you are so quick to undermine the intentions of other members on this forum. (Sid Vicious was a self proclaimed grad medic by the way everyone)

Secondly - what has changed in your 'contractual obligations' to allow you running for the SU presidency, subsequently USI, and a seat in the Oireachtas after that?

Thirdly - Are you really up for soccer on Wednesday? Because it's a bit tough trying to get people together as it is, and undermining that process is indefensibly childish. If you and 'Oxford' actually want to play (and new posters who immediately side with the current most controversial member [praise indeeed] aren't exactly who you want to rely on when you're trying to get a few lads together) then you are most welcome to, controversy and politics - free of course.

Sorry for the long post.

First off - what is the content of your Phd? I only ask this as a direct response to the fact that you are so quick to undermine the intentions of other members on this forum. (Sid Vicious was a self proclaimed grad medic by the way everyone)

I am currently enrolled as a PhD in bioinformatics. I am attempting to model the inflammatory cytokines involved in inflammation of the brain in depression. Very interesting and hot topic.

I read through all of Sid_justices posts on this forum, his remarks are what drove me to return to boards and look into su politics. At no point does he claim to be a 'grad medic'. Some people were saying he was, in one post he says he's doing a phd as well. So I think you're factually incorrect on that, and I challange you to find a post on ul forum describing himself as a 'medic'.
    Secondly - what has changed in your 'contractual obligations' to allow you running for the SU presidency, subsequently USI, and a seat in the Oireachtas after that?

Had a thorough conversation with my supervisor. He told me he really wouldn't want me to take a year off (or two) to do SU stuff. If I am elected I'll probably work my ass off between now and the cross-over week and write a MSc thesis on what I've done so far. Contractual obligations really wasn't the right word, you can quit a phd any time you want. I wanted to take a sabbatical but that looks increasingly less likely. Not elected yet though.
    Thirdly - Are you really up for soccer on Wednesday? Because it's a bit tough trying to get people together as it is, and undermining that process is indefensibly childish. If you and 'Oxford' actually want to play (and new posters who immediately side with the current most controversial member [praise indeeed] aren't exactly who you want to rely on when you're trying to get a few lads together) then you are most welcome to, controversy and politics - free of course.

Didn't make any post about soccer, this oxford chap is just a con. nothing to do wtih me. I don't really like soccer but i could be convinced to play if you were short numbers and i wasn't too busy.
    Sorry for the long post.

it's ok pal we all need to rant at some point.

I challange you to find a post on ul forum describing himself as a 'medic'.

He said on his twitter account (which is now closed) that he is doing a PhD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

OhMSGlive wrote: »
    He sent that tweet to me, I can vouch for that. Although I'm fairly sure he's actually 2nd year postgrad med, can't say for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

Ended up posting to the wrong thread - how embarrassing!;)

Anyway here's my post..
    I challange you to find a post on ul forum describing himself as a 'medic'.

This is what I saw -
    para45 wrote: »
    Hi . I would be a mature student graduate . Toiling with the GAMSAT.
    :)
    para45 wrote: »
    Did you get them and what year are you in now
    yr2
    OhMSGlive wrote: »

That's what I saw - maybe I jumped to the wrong conclusion.

Thanks for the reply anyway, I still don't understand the reason for inciting other posters (especially Ninety9er - I get constructive criticism but it seems a bit over the top) - but I don't really see the point of pursuing it.

We probably need numbers for Wednesday soccer - leave a comment or PM me if you're in and I'll add you to the list. 4pm - arena.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

should do another year derek, sure you won't get a job any other way. you can be my pro/vice president, we could be the next dynamic duo, i'll be batman you be robin. make it an even 4 eyes, your second degree.

Ignorance is bliss, dear cambridge. While you may think I have no job prospects, I have no such concerns.

I did the dynamic trio for 2 years and we alright. Given the situation that presented itself this year I think we've done quite well to deal with it and will continue to do so until June.

good man derek, put on a brave face. positive thinking. if anyone asks i'll say you did a great job, you can put me down as a reference if you want, i know a few of the regional managers in lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

n I am 100% genuine in my intention of running for SU president.

Hi Cambridge,
    I saw your earlier post outlining your ten year plan etc, I am a current student who will be taking an active interest in the ULSU election this year.

Personally I have not the slighest interest in what you intend to use your potential presedency of ULSU as a springbord for, nor do I care what your ambitions for your own career after your term as president of the SU is compleated, the only thing I am interested in is what you intend to do if elected as president of the SU within your one year term.

Could you outline that please.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

good man derek, put on a brave face. positive thinking. if anyone asks i'll say you did a great job, you can put me down as a reference if you want, i know a few of the regional managers in lidl.

I won't be applying to Lidl thanks. Would have when I first graduated, but know too many people who've been working there.

I can take care of myself and won't be needing any further references. I'll let boards know if that changes and you can get back to me then. I wouldn't be keen on using an anonymous troll as a reference in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

14886510.jpg

hi waterford man,

genuine question, genuine answer.

The responsibility of the SU president is to represent the students of this university in the most professional and effective way possible. I can assure you that I will:
    • Conduct myself to the highest professional standards
    • Lobby the government to the best of my ability to ensure that future changes to the 3rd level education funding are as fair as possible
    • Advocate for and represent students at national level
    Another responsibility of the SU president is to co-ordinate the activities of the SU as effectively as possible. This means making sure that RAG, SHAG, and Mental Health week are run as well as possible. This means making sure SU services like the print room, common room and bookshop etc. operate as best they can. This also means making sure the other officers do their job and college fulfils their end of the agreement when it comes to services like the library and the gym.

Finally the SU president has to chair, sit in on and participate in a number of different committees, working groups, councils etc. I can promise that I will do my best to make sure the students opinions are heard, these opinions are communicated to the university powers and consequently the students get the fairest deal from the university.

So that's the fluffy answer to your question and here is the senso stricto answer
    • Introduce better transparency in SU meetings to ensure no financial tomfoolery occurs on my watch.
    • Provide a loud and active voice in council meetings to ensure that student opinion is heard
    • Keep a keen eye on other officers to ensure that RAG, SHAG and Mental Health week are actually run properly

Things that I will do:
    • Keep on top of correspondence with students and staff and ensure important emails are answered in a timely fashion and all emails are addressed adequately
    • Make sure that all SU officers are informed of the professional standards they must adhere to and inform them on the correct use of social media
    • Keep students informed on the changes nationally to 3rd level funding and act in the students best interests - if fees are coming let the students know, have informed debate and petition the authorities as the students mandate
    • Work my bollox off for the students

Things I won't do:
    • have childish facebook fights with colleagues
    • send sly emails about other students / colleagues
    • sit in on council meetings and let them bend students over and do them up the hole
    • lie to the students faces
    • constantly complain about the owrk i'm paid to do and ask for pats on the back
    • let the other officers away with running **** events

If any of the other candidates have good ideas I'll also steal them.

ninty9er wrote: »
    I won't be applying to Lidl thanks. Would have when I first graduated, but know too many people who've been working there.

I can take care of myself and won't be needing any further references. I'll let boards know if that changes and you can get back to me then. I wouldn't be keen on using an anonymous troll as a reference in any case.

my doors always open brother if you change your mind

hi waterford man,

genuine question, genuine answer.

The responsibility of the SU president is to represent the students of this university in the most professional and effective way possible. I can assure you that I will:

Conduct myself to the highest professional standards
    Lobby the government to the best of my ability to ensure that future changes to the 3rd level education funding are as fair as possible
    Advocate for and represent students at national level

Another responsibility of the SU president is to co-ordinate the activities of the SU as effectively as possible. This means making sure that RAG, SHAG, and Mental Health week are run as well as possible. This means making sure SU services like the print room, common room and bookshop etc. operate as best they can. This also means making sure the other officers do their job and college fulfils their end of the agreement when it comes to services like the library and the gym.

Finally the SU president has to chair, sit in on and participate in a number of different committees, working groups, councils etc. I can promise that I will do my best to make sure the students opinions are heard, these opinions are communicated to the university powers and consequently the students get the fairest deal from the university.

So that's the fluffy answer to your question and here is the senso stricto answer

Introduce better transparency in SU meetings to ensure no financial tomfoolery occurs on my watch.
    Provide a loud and active voice in council meetings to ensure that student opinion is heard
    Keep a keen eye on other officers to ensure that RAG, SHAG and Mental Health week are actually run properly

Things that I will do:
    Keep on top of correspondence with students and staff and ensure important emails are answered in a timely fashion and all emails are addressed adequately
    Make sure that all SU officers are informed of the professional standards they must adhere to and inform them on the correct use of social media
    Keep students informed on the changes nationally to 3rd level funding and act in the students best interests - if fees are coming let the students know, have informed debate and petition the authorities as the students mandate
    Work my bollox off for the students

Things I won't do:
    have childish facebook fights with colleagues
    send sly emails about other students / colleagues
    sit in on council meetings and let them bend students over and do them up the hole
    lie to the students faces
    constantly complain about the owrk i'm paid to do and ask for pats on the back
    let the other officers away with running **** events

If any of the other candidates have good ideas I'll also steal them.

Thanks for the reply, I have had a glance through the thread, and one thing seems clear, you have a wide range of opinions on many issues, many of which seem to be at odds with the common student opinion, it is also clear that you are quite passionate about them, if you are elected as president, would you be willing to set aside your own personal opinions on an issue to represent the wishes of the student body?

Also, Do you have any opinion on current and ongoing issues within the SU such as the review of the ULSU constitution, the plans for a new student center and the internal restructering of the Union.

Finally, being a member of the Cumann Gaelach, I have a personal interest in this issue, what role do you see for the SU in the promotion of the Irish Language, and as ULSU president what changes if any would you make in this area.

my doors always open brother if you change your mind
    STOP TALKING LIKE THAT!!! STOP BEING SUCH AN ELITIST UNDERMINING PRETENTIOUS...

****! :mad:

Can you not just go away? Nobody here agrees with you, yet you still want to run for election.

By the way, for someone who continually corrects grammar, you've hardly written a single sentence that begins with a capital letter.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the reply, I have had a glance through the thread, and one thing seems clear, you have a wide range of opinions on many issues, many of which seem to be at odds with the common student opinion, it is also clear that you are quite passionate about them, if you are elected as president, would you be willing to set aside your own personal opinions on an issue to represent the wishes of the student body?

How do you know they are at odds with the common student opinion? I don't make assumptions on what students want, feel, or think, we have to ask. But I take your point, some of my radical opinions will not be shared by the majority. In instances where the majority opinion of the students (complete resistence to further fee increases) is completely different to mine (we have to increase fees) I would always represent the student majority as that is what the president is mandated and paid to do. If some weird instance where the majority opinion was immoral or unethical in my opinion (student want to torture cats during halloween) i would not support the students and I would opt out of that case and get the vice president to cover or resign.

Also, Do you have any opinion on current and ongoing issues within the SU such as the review of the ULSU constitution, the plans for a new student center and the internal restructering of the Union.

I wouldn't have a great depth of knowledge of the exact details of the ulsu constitution change, I am not a big time hack. I would need to be informed on this very soon if elected. I was opposed to the downsizing of the SU sabbatical team as I felt students were losing a service they already have paid for. I think changes to the constitution is probably a lot of fuss about very little. Not really sure what restructuring is going on in the union, would have to ask derek and others to get me up to speed on that.
    Finally, being a member of the Cumann Gaelach, I have a personal interest in this issue, what role do you see for the SU in the promotion of the Irish Language, and as ULSU president what changes if any would you make in this area.

To tell you the truth I have to double check I've spelt my name correctly when using my Irish name, that would tell you the extent of my Irish language capabilities. I was not raised in this country. I 100% support the protection of the Irish language for cultural, heritage and ethnic reasons. I think minority languages and cultures like basque etc. should share the same protection. I'm not particularly sentimental about Irish.

However I don't support this irish langauge bureaucracy movement. I don't think every email should be translated, I don't think every document needs to be translated, I don't think there should be any students in UL who aren't fluent in english. So to tell you the truth I'd leave it up to Cumann Gaelach to promote irish in the university, I'd obviously fully endorse Irish week and that kind of thing. But no, I wouldn't be a strong voice in the board room calling for more money for as gaeilge .

Hope I've answered your questions as honestly and as fairly as possible, I want your vote but i'm not going to trick you or try and dupe you into voting for me. If irish language stuff is your deal clincher I don't think I'm your man, it would be a fairly low priority for me. Having said that, if I felt I've judged the issue wrong and it actually does deserve more SU leadership I would reconsider.

Daniel S wrote: »
    STOP TALKING LIKE THAT!!! STOP BEING SUCH AN ELITIST UNDERMINING PRETENTIOUS...

****! :mad:

I think the words you're looking for are patronising and condescending.

Can you not just go away? Nobody here agrees with you, yet you still want to run for election.

No. Never. No surrender. I am not here to be everyone's friend and win a popularity contest. I have my views, I have my opinions, if they work for you vote for me, if they don't, vote for the other lad. You can't intimidate me, you can't scare me, you can't stop me.
    By the way, for someone who continually corrects grammar, you've hardly written a single sentence that begins with a capital letter.

Fairly bad habit all right, probably won't stop but will try.

I think the words you're looking for are patronising and condescending.

No. Never. No surrender. I am not here to be everyone's friend and win a popularity contest. I have my views, I have my opinions, if they work for you vote for me, if they don't, vote for the other lad. You can't intimidate me, you can't scare me, you can't stop me.

Fairly bad habit all right, probably won't stop but will try.
    1. Thanks, those too.
    2. Reminds me of another political figure who thankfully changed his tone. Doubt you have friends tbh. An election is a popularity contest.
    3. Could stop you quite easily I think. Doubt I'll need to though.

Daniel S wrote: »
    1. Thanks, those too.
    2. Reminds me of another political figure who thankfully changed his tone. Doubt you have friends tbh. An election is a popularity contest.
    3. Could stop you quite easily I think. Doubt I'll need to though.

1. You're welcome.
    2. Don't know what you're talking about. I have 26 friends on facebook. I am not seeking to be elected based on cult of personality.
    3. No you couldn't. Don't threaten me.

1. You're welcome.
    2. Don't know what you're talking about. I have 26 friends on facebook. I am not seeking to be elected based on cult of personality.
    3. No you couldn't. Don't threaten me.
    BRTky.jpg?1321408042

you're the one trying to sound like a bully. I don't like bullies. Don't threaten me, don't try and bully me. No wonder you got a dig in the head outside nancys.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

If you are running I look forward to your campain. I respect you a little bit more for being honest but IMO maybe you should tone down the (I say this with a pince of salt) attacks on other users of this fourm.

you're the one trying to sound like a bully. I don't like bullies. Don't threaten me, don't try and bully me. No wonder you got a dig in the head outside nancys.
    I'm the bully? Who's the one who said they themselves were being patronising and condescending.

However I don't support this irish langauge bureaucracy movement. I don't think every email should be translated, I don't think every document needs to be translated, I don't think there should be any students in UL who aren't fluent in english. So to tell you the truth I'd leave it up to Cumann Gaelach to promote irish in the university, I'd obviously fully endorse Irish week and that kind of thing. But no, I wouldn't be a strong voice in the board room calling for more money for as gaeilge .

Hope I've answered your questions as honestly and as fairly as possible, I want your vote but i'm not going to trick you or try and dupe you into voting for me. If irish language stuff is your deal clincher I don't think I'm your man, it would be a fairly low priority for me. Having said that, if I felt I've judged the issue wrong and it actually does deserve more SU leadership I would reconsider.

Again, thanks for the reply, as for as the Irish issue goes, I can understand your position, but there are a few areas where the SU has a responsibility to the Irish Language, specificlly to represent the Interests of Irish speaking students, especially those studying Irish as part of their degree, one specific example being the lack of computers with Irish Spelling and Grammer check in the library, which makes life difficult for students who have to write essays in Irish.
    Another being the role of Irish Officer in the SU, which currently is not fulfilling its function in any meaningful way.

• Advertisement

Being patronising and condescending isn't necessarily bullying. I know Ginge Young and derek99er can take a few slags, otherwise I wouldn't be doing it. There is a certain degree of freedom of speech on this site and I am just giving you my opinions and my views, you don't have to agree but don't try and shout me down. You don't contribute much around here yourself daniel.

http://jezebel.com/5881691/dorky-teacher-slays-student-in-rap-battle

this is me and you

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement