Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kingdoms of Amalur

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Sorry guys, quick question:

Played the demo there (thought it was surprisingly good, reminds me of a more serious Fable), and I think I'm going to pick this up.

When you start the full game, does it pick up where you left off in the demo, or do you have to go through the Well of Souls again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Is this game modifiable? Wouldn't mind a mod to make it a tad harder:/

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

calex71 wrote: »
    Did you get to the trolls on hard???? Man those cleaned me out of health potions fast, then I got a unique hammer off one of them and found it stunned them after 3 uninterrupted hits in a combo chain. Mind you they were orange when I got to them so maybe should have waited a bit.
    Yeah, the trolls were a pain in the ass. There's a certain area (can't remember where) that i got attacked by 5 trolls and a rune troll. Was bloody tough, and i think i went through about 10 health potions and all my health regen potions. I've since put more points in Sorcery, and am finding it easier.

Also, Chakrams are ****ing awesome.
    When you start the full game, does it pick up where you left off in the demo, or do you have to go through the Well of Souls again?
    I think you have to do the tutorial again. I didn't get prompted to slip it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Cheers! So I won't be playing through it again for the 5th time. :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Really liking the combat in the game,if only skyrim had combat half as good.
    However ill probably just stick to the main questline and maybe the faction ones.
    The side quests seem really dull and pointless.

• Advertisement

Dcully wrote: »
    The side quests seem really dull and pointless.

And there are about 50 million of them. Some of them are handy though, as i got myself a house with a storage chest last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

My review copy of the game arrived on Friday, I got a copy of Grand Slam Tennis 2 on the same day and I haven't even had time to take it out of it's shrink wrap yet :)

I've got about 15 hours into this according to my save file last night and I'm really enjoying it (apart from the fact that my controller's right analog stick is wonky and the camera keeps rotating around me when I'm in combat and unable to control it). I'm playing on PC by the way and the glitches that were present in the demo are definitely not an issue. It hasn't disappointed me one bit, but I would echo what a lot of people say in that it's not the most difficult game in the world.

Side Quests - there does seem to be a huge number of them and I'm picking away at them and probably taking far too long to progress the main story. I'm gearing myself up to be a Battle Mage, so have taken Might and Sorcery upgrades. Hammers are great fun, if a little difficult to use when surrounded by 5 or 6 Brownies or Boggarts and the "Twinned Souls" Chakrams that you get for registering are really good (as is the Mass Effect styled Shepard Armour). I'm keen to be rid of them though as I'm looking to role play as a warrior priest of the God of Ice and Storms and so on, so only want to have Ice and Shock elemental weapons (I have a Frost Great Sword and a Shock Hammer).

I've taken points in Alchemy because the ingredients seem to be so abundant, but am starting to get Blacksmithing now because it seems like the weapons you craft are likely to be far better than drops. I find it really hard to not pick things up, so am in need of a personal storage chest, best progress and get my own house like Kiith. :)

I'm doing tasks to join the "Fighters" guild (they're called the Warsworn) cause that's more my style of thing and I don't like to "power play" games like this in joining every guild and gathering all the perks - I enjoy the role play part and it can be more fun to set restrictions on yourself.

I've been playing a lot of SW:TOR as a mostly single player RPG but Reckoning has provided me with a game world that I find more engaging and that's saying something as I'm a big Star Wars fanboi, and I find myself looking forward to getting home and getting stuck into it again this evening.

If you enjoyed Fable, then you really should pick this up as soon as you can. If you've been playing Skyrim and haven't finished it yet, then I'd say finish that off first as I'd suggest it's difficult to get stuck into two very immersive worlds like this and get the most out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

calex71 wrote: »
    Inventory space is a pain , potions take up far too much space. I have 1 full set of armour and a weapon in each category (playing a jack of all trades character) and same with accessories, and am at 75/80 :eek:

Thanks, I hate inventory management in games.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

You know what I really like (other than the combat, world and faction quests)?
    Sprint toggle thats right you can toggle sprint and you dont run out of stamina, why do RPGs generally only let you sprint in little bursts? I dont know but sprint toggle is awesome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Kiith wrote: »
    Yeah, the trolls were a pain in the ass. There's a certain area (can't remember where) that i got attacked by 5 trolls and a rune troll. Was bloody tough, and i think i went through about 10 health potions and all my health regen potions. I've since put more points in Sorcery, and am finding it easier.

Also, Chakrams are ****ing awesome.

I think you have to do the tutorial again. I didn't get prompted to slip it anyway.

I got mobbed too, if it's the same part i'm think of it was in the area where you had to hunt the trolls? I went over one of the bridges and got slapped silly by them.

Chakrams are indeed awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Level 14 full might but considering changing spec as i'm finding it way too easy, having said that I've spent a ridiculous amount of time crafting all my weapons and armor. I'm guessing my gear is pretty overpowered for my level. I have 400 hp and my greatsword has 190 damage so i'm one shotting everything but orange mobs.

Have been doing way too many side quests aswell, think i'll do as someone said earlier and just stick to faction / main quests from here on in.

Really enjoying it so far apart from the difficulty issue but I have to admit the really bad Irish accents on the Fae is very very cringe at times!!! :p

Anyone get their loot for playing the mass effect 3 demo? I got
    Omniblades
    might have been useful at the start of the game but straight into junk for me and you cant even seel stuff from that chest ... well you can but for 0 gold :(

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

I'm loving this game! And I'll see your Chakrams, and raise you Faeblades! I love the way they collapse down and attach to your back :D

Sesudra wrote: »
    I'm loving this game! And I'll see your Chakrams, and raise you Faeblades! I love the way they collapse down and attach to your back :D

They do look cool, but i was disappointed with the attack animation. Feel quite slow for a 'very fast' weapon. Chakrams have all the coolness, and are ranged.

I've gone almost totally Sorcery now. I have 10 points in Finesse, but i was never really using daggers/backstab, so i respecced. Now i summon myself a minion, have fire/ice/lightning spells, and can heal myself. Which makes it quite easy, even on hard.

I did have a very tough fight last night though, against some super troll. 1 hit killing me constantly, and i was really getting pissed off. Got the bitch in the end though.

Really enjoyable game.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I think I did that super troll mission last night too,
    Gresh, yea?
    also picked up my house - would've had it ages ago if I'd bothered finishing the quest :) Nice to have a stash at last, I'm annoyed that I've had to sell so many parts of armour sets because I've had so much inventory stuff. My suggestion would've been to make potions a separate 10 slot inventory just to help out a bit - I find I only ever use a few like health, regen, XP boost and if I'm crafting, I'll use the various skill boost ones.

One of the issues with having so many side quests is I'm having difficulty remembering what I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm going, but the other side of that is I accept every quest I find and tend to wander around usually bumping into quests :)

Earned my Warsworn stripes last night too, which was nice...

I've done a few Warsworn quests, but the latest one has me travelling to some castle that's bloody miles away from anything else i've been to. So doing the Mage guild (Sage guild?) at the moment, and it's actually really cool so far. First few quests were really interesting. Haven't really touched the Travellers guild, as i've no points in stealth (it's baiscally the Thieves guild i think).

I think what i might do it go full Sorcery, and do a load of mage guild missions. Then respec to Might for the Warsworn and then Finess for the Travellers. Not at all necessary, but it'll keep things interesting.

I'm not sure i like that set drops are random though. Really hard to get a complete set.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I did the troll quest too last night,was tough enough,used about 20 potions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 600 ✭✭✭King Krib

Sorry guys, quick question:

Played the demo there (thought it was surprisingly good, reminds me of a more serious Fable), and I think I'm going to pick this up.

I was hoping it continued on, but no it doesnt, I just pushed through the initial stage just to get it done.

Anyone still playing this? All gone quiet the past few days. I haven't been on the ps the last week or so but will be picking back up for a few hours tonight.

Anyone finished it?

Yeah i am still mad into it, ive been running around getting lorestones and sidetracked. I am supposed to be doing factions but some of these side quests are consuming.
    Also the meteor power for mages is ridiculously overpowered.

• Advertisement

Still playing it, and still enjoying it. Changed from a full Sorcery to Might build, and it's very different. Lvl21 i think, though i'm not really paying attention to levelling. No clue what's going on story wise though. Something about some evil king. I've been skipping a lot of it.

There is a main story? :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

So many damn side quests :O

I just finished a side mission for the Fae in the Desert having advanced the main plot along far enough for it to have sent me there. Might just pick up the main story now again.

Still enjoying it, still wishing I had a gigantic inventory :p

Good to see it's still being enjoyed anyway. I'm spending way too much time blacksmithing and gem crafting. Worst thing is I'm complaining the game is too easy and making rediculously overpowered gear is causing that but I just can't stop!!! :o

I started out and I think I completed every single quest in the starting continent which in hindsight was pretty stupid. Just going to focus on the faction / main quests now for a bit!! Will probably respec to Sorcery soon aswell, need a change from full Might!!

Big Knox wrote: »
    Good to see it's still being enjoyed anyway. I'm spending way too much time blacksmithing and gem crafting. Worst thing is I'm complaining the game is too easy and making rediculously overpowered gear is causing that but I just can't stop!!! :o

I started out and I think I completed every single quest in the starting continent which in hindsight was pretty stupid. Just going to focus on the faction / main quests now for a bit!! Will probably respec to Sorcery soon aswell, need a change from full Might!!

I was the same, and have to say got pretty bored doing all them quests after a while. Now I'm back on track and enjoying it again.

I've been doing a fair bit of crafting of all 3 things and the potions just annoys me (my name is not Snape), the crystals are handy because I'f skilled up in the smithing to be able to include them in the process. Keeping an eye out for good components at the shops to make a big feckin hammer of smashiness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Finished it completely and got to level 40 as a full Finesse Rogue (Nightblade).
    I have to say they done the rogue perfectly besides stealth being seriously underpowered. The mobs see you a fair distance away even fully skilled. I stuck with Daggers all the way through, can't go without hamstringing and backstabbing the buggers as I play. I found Faeblades far too annoying in that you flail about and spin around and may land one or two hits which never flinch mobs for me so you'll just get twatted.

I got every achievement except Riposte and Hard mode so I'm currently on my second playthrough going to be a Tank with Longsword, Shield and Bow (Might). Level 8 now and so far hard isn't too bad, just carrying more potions is enough and sure you can grind some herbs in the beginning areas and make truck loads of minor healing potions and you're sorted.

Not sure I'll be doing as many side quests or any faction quests this time if at all possible. I'll get the Lorestone set bonuses instead and fly through. That's the plan anyway...

I got every achievement except Riposte and Hard mode so I'm currently on my second playthrough going to be a Tank with Longsword, Shield and Bow (Might). Level 8 now and so far hard isn't too bad, just carrying more potions is enough and sure you can grind some herbs in the beginning areas and make truck loads of minor healing potions and you're sorted.

Not sure I'll be doing as many side quests or any faction quests this time if at all possible. I'll get the Lorestone set bonuses instead and fly through. That's the plan anyway...

Fair play, how long was your play through? Sounds like you done alot of the sidequests!!

I've said it before but the difficulty is really annoying me, on hard it's still shockingly easy. Not once has the game shown any form of difficulty. The challenge is non existent and it really takes away from the overall experience. Fair enough i'm not expecting a Dark Souls style experience but on Hard it should at least challenge you, I should be dying and reloading fights having got it wrong first time around but this just doesn't happen unfortunately.

Hopefully a respec will help a bit, full might feels insanely overpowered!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

Big Knox wrote: »
    Fair play, how long was your play through? Sounds like you done alot of the sidequests!!

I've said it before but the difficulty is really annoying me, on hard it's still shockingly easy. Not once has the game shown any form of difficulty. The challenge is non existent and it really takes away from the overall experience. Fair enough i'm not expecting a Dark Souls style experience but on Hard it should at least challenge you, I should be dying and reloading fights having got it wrong first time around but this just doesn't happen unfortunately.

Hopefully a respec will help a bit, full might feels insanely overpowered!!

It was around the 50 hour mark for the first file. I had over 130 odd quests complete in the end if memory serves. The only thing hard seems to scale upward is how much damage the mobs do and maybe their health. The fights don't vary that much mechanically so besides that there isn't much more they can do to make it harder. If you're wearing top notch gear and stacking lorestone and faction buffs you're going to feel quite strong. The difficulty seems to come with unlucky positioning in fights or getting heavy hitted multiple times before having the chance to knock back a potion.

Best thing for me about this game is that mobs don't scale with your level. That was the biggest cop out in all recent rpg's. In that case just take out leveling and have all mobs be challenging, most rpg's now are pretending to be something they're not by appealing to rpg enthusiasts by putting a leveling up system and a talent tree in then just making the mobs be the same regardless of how much grinding or exploring you do.

Advertisement