Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

You failed to state where you were going to build the gas chambers and how you were going to incorporate the rail tracks into UL...

Who are you and how on Earth do you think the President of the SU can have any influence on what you just stated? Its Don Barry's post you are after, not representing the current students!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

retract that implication immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

cambridge wrote: »
    It may come as a shock to some of you, but Irish Third level education is on the brink of collapse. It closely mirrors the rise and fall of the Irish economy. 50 years ago we were just a little **** hole on the edge of Europe (ignoring Iceland) with little going for itself except the arts and agri(aqua)culture. With the flooding of European and transatlantic investment we quickly shot up and acquired an unsustainable standard of living. As the circus tent fell down around us, we were found out for being full of ****, dependent on foreign investment brought here by tax breaks.

Irish Third Level education is following the same trend. With EU and TA money we invested in universities and colleges, dropped fees, and made third level education a playground for lazy 18-22 year olds. There were no checks put in to measure the quality of the investment, we just kept throwing money at it and churned out sub-par after sub-par graduates. Irish universities and colleges are littered with public servant, executive officers, administrative people that do about 1 persons work amongst 10 of them. We have the highest paid lecturers and academic staff in Europe (and the world ignoring USA etc.) but not one top 100 world institution.

We have arrived at a situation where every teenager feels its their right and their entitlement to attend some sort of college, studying some sort of course. Nobody seems to have accounted for who is paying for the courses, and what benefit they will have for their careers. We seem to have brain washed ourselves into thinking that as long as you're 'studying' you're doing something worthwhile. We seem to have ignored the fact that someone people don't belong in university and tried to implement some kind of 'equality' ideal by making dumb courses for dumb people.

The rug is about to be pulled out from underneath us. The current first years will be paying full fees by the time they reach 4th year, if not before. Funding for post-grad education is being cut, fewer people will be doing Phds and fewer people doing Mscs. This in my opinion, is a good thing.

I have a vision for UL. UL was built on the principle of being pragmatic, versatile and dynamic, able to cater for changes in the environment in the pursuit of the ideal of producing high calibre, highly employable, high quality graduates. I want to return to those ideals.

The university has stretched itself beyond its means. There are too many students, too many staff members, too many branches on the tree. It needs to reign itself in. It needs to focus on the high yield areas. It needs to become more selective in the student it enrols, more stringent on the criteria it uses to pass students and more elitist in its awarding of 1st class degrees.

UL needs to access the strengths and weaknesses of its client base (young people who choose to go to university). It needs to attract the intelligent, and the energetic, the motivated and the driven. It needs to stop the lazy, the stupid and the timewasters at the door and not let them in.

Therefore I'd recommend the university opt out of the CAO system and bring in a joint Leaving Cert/Interview system. It needs to downsize its intake in its core courses by about 30% and drop the non-important courses completely. UL has to become the most difficult university in Ireland to get into. UL has to recruit between 5 and 10% of their students for all courses from North American and Asia. These students bring in even more fees, a work ethic that complements the Irish attitude (they work hard but burn out, Irish people work too little and never get ruthless).

The exact important courses needs to be worked out in greater detail later. But essentially there needs to be a focus on professional courses, courses that are in high demand now and in the future, courses that are academically rigorous and either cater for international appeal or focus on our own heritage. We must not forget our roots and where we came from.

For example
    Business, finance and accounting courses stay.
    Public admin, HR mngt courses should go back to ITs.

Law, Medicine, Architecture, Engineering stay.
    Wood work, metal work, technical subjects back to ITs.

Irish dance, music, singing, orchestral, etc. stay.
    Sports science back to IT

Pharmaceutical science plus others stay
    Other sciences back to IT

Computer science can stay (most of it).

What needs to change in all the courses is the implementation of fully vigorous and obligatory broad curriculum courses. People from EVERY course need to take courses in one foreign language, IT, numerical and literary skills. Irish graduates have the benefit of being native English speakers (the most important language in the world) but lose out to other Europeans because we tend to be very mono or bi(irish)lingual. We need to enforce students to learn at least one foreign language, Russian, Chinese, Italian, Spanish, any of them.

It is frankly appalling that some people can receive a third level qualification without having advanced level numerical and literacy skills. All students will be forced to take practical mathematics (mostly stats) courses and English comprehension courses. Never again will an UL student put an apostrophe in the wrong place.

It is my vision to have Wednesdays free in all courses for Broad curriculum to take place. This will involve tutorials, workshops, student let presentations and projects. All students will be mixed in with others from different departments, different years and different cultures/nationalities. This will ensure that UL graduates will be well versed in team work, project work, capable of working with all types of personalties and cultures, develop their professionalism, self confidence and other skills (IT, presentations, public speaking, leadership, time management, the list goes on).

Other changes I will introduce will be the introduction of course credit for athletic, exercise and sporting performance. Irish obesity levels are soaring, people are getting fatter by the year. One of the most important skills you can learn at college is gaining the knowledge of how to eat, exercise correctly and be healthy. People will be assessed every 3 months on their 100m times, their vertical leap, their bench, squat and deadlift numbers. They will be given individual programmes and goals. If they continuously miss their deadlines they will be penalised academically, if they fail to meet final scores they can't graduate until certain fitness levels are reached. Being healthy, fit and active is no longer a nice bonus, it is an absolute necessity for society.

Students will also be be given credit for sporting activity, like winning/participating in inter-varsities, all students will be required to join one club and one soc and be active. There will be no exceptions, even people with medical conditions will be required to do something.

As I hinted at in the beginning, I will campaign for better integration with the actual work force, the companies, groups, organisations and businesses students will hopefully aim to work for. All students will take 8 week placements every year, in an approved organisation. The same organisations will be invited to sponsor modules in the respective courses. e.g. google will be invited to sponsor, provide the staff for and endorse a module on cloud computing etc. Google will get the benefit of having students start part of their work training in college rather than work place and college will save money as well as get professional endorsement. PWC, Intel, Accenture, Morgan stanley, all these big multinational companies who have international reputations and proven track record of training graduates will jump at the chance to spend just a little bit of money to get the ball rolling for potential graduates. Successful enterpreneurs will also be part of the syllabus, at least yearly someone like Michael O'Leary will be invited into go give key note speech and consultation on how to improve the college.

Finally, I propose that all 4 year courses become 3 years and that instead of 2 long terms we move to 3 terms. This is the kicker though, terms will run from sept to sept, with month of between terms (no long summer holidays anymore). Some of the the summer term will be taken up by individual projects and work placement so staff members will still have a nice chunk of time for research.

That's my basic idea on how to change the way undergraduate education is taking place in Ireland, a discussion on post-graduate education is for another time. If these implementations are made early and vigorously, I can almost guarantee UL will become the premier university in Ireland from a student and employer point of view. People from all over america and middle east will be queuing up to get in, as will international students from Europe. UL students who learn in this environment will beat the socks off all opponents in graduate programme competitions.

Like this post if you like my ideas and would consider hearing more.
    Do you honestly think the SU president has that sort of power? The Don doesn't even have that sort of power.

was it necessary to quote the entire post? some people are trying to view this thread on mobile devices.

I said that was my vision. I said my manifesto is on the way. I said my goal is to go ul pres- usi -pres - government. i said this can be achieved in 10 years.

stop trying to point out what your small mind is saying is impossible and tell me what you disagree with it. think big is my motto.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

re: cambridge's ideas:

Smacks more than a little of more than elitist. Reminds me of an attitude prevalent in central Europe in the 1930's..

There's also a apparent lack of knowledge or a lack of awareness of how things are actually done in academia, and the pressures that define the policies that are put in place in UL.

It's a nice wishlist but pretty unrealistic.

Still, it makes for an amusing read. If I'm voting - I certainly won't be voting for you - that is if you're even going to be on the ballot.

• Advertisement

retract that implication immediately

When you put your name on the forum I will, until then you are Cambridge, an anonymous person, so I don't really care.

Popoutman wrote: »
    There's also a apparent lack of knowledge or a lack of awareness of how things are actually done in academia, and the pressures that define the policies that are put in place in UL.

What do you know?

Only thing unrealistic is getting all the sponger staff sacked and all the sponging students kicked out. That will be a tough one. The rest could be implemented very easily.

It's very easy for people without intelligence or creativity to say things can't happen, i haven't seen anyone give me one good reason why anything in particular can't happen. all i've got thus far is childish (but also libellous) remarks.

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    When you put your name on the forum I will, until then you are Cambridge, an anonymous person, so I don't really care.

i am a user of this forum. the rules on this forum are designed to protect said users on this forum. you do no understand the rules, you are infracting the rules. edit your post.

So you cant take a joke either?

Have fun in the popularity contest chief!

Exactly look at last years popularity contest:

Presidential Candiate A - Derek Daly - was all charm running up to the election never letting on the entire su was crumbling and he was going to watch it burn
    Presidential Candidate B - Keith Young - no charm, lost

All the signs since would indicate Keith had the much sounder ideas, his ideals were closer to that of the student body and probably would have handled the Su problems in a more transparent matter. Unfortunetly snake charm won out.

Education candidate A - Aoife Kenny - beautiful woman - won
    Education candidate B - Baz Kennedy - nerdy guy with sound ideas lost.

What has Aoife achieved that was part of her manifesto? nothing? admittedly her work goes on behind the scenes but publicly is invisible. Looks over character won again?

Welfare Candidate A - Tara - nice looking bird - won
    Candidate B - can't remember, probably some plain broke.

What has Tara done? SHAG week? Bit disappointing. Apparently can't even answer emails properly. invisible

CO Candidate A - Kelly - again, nice looking bird, bubbly personality- won
    Candidate b- can't remember

Well what to say about kelly? Set up a radio, did a good job with the paper, very public. But jesus, nearly caused a civil war.

CSO - Candidate A - Paddy Rockett - eccentric, extrovert, ott, loud, dynamic
    Candidate B - forgotten

Rockett had the charm, the look, the banter, what did he achieve? nearly got sacked (but there was no procedure to do so, and his position is getting deleted, some legacy)

what has the previous election told us? vote for the ugliest, least charming, most offensive, most intelligent candidate. Don't bother with the glitter, the cosmetic, the people telling you lies and selling you snake oil. go with someone who isn't winning you over with a tinkle in their eye or a giant picture of their bust on their website. choose the person who is obviously a **** rather than the **** pretending to be your best mate. choose anti-charisma. choose cambridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭PROGRAM_IX

Saying your tone is elitist isn't childish or libellous. It's an interpretation of how you presented your ideas, and no-one has disagreed yet.

Being asked to reveal your name is reasonable because you named another poster.

And finally:
    This is how things work in the US, how it works in Ox-bridge. What do you want ul to be like? MIT or LIT?

I particularly love how you keep returning to LIT as the counter-UL. It's just another 3rd level institution.
    If you get us to MIT standards on the back of these policies, I'll gladly switch to LIT. I think I need a shower after reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Cambridge you clearly are as incompetent as the people you have insulted above in their ELECTED positions. They may have failed with some policies but at least they understand you can't make unrelaistic plans like you are doing. Do you actually think you have the power to remove UL from the CAO system for example? If you do i'd recommend you stay well away from this campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

All I can say is while I find *some* of your ideas interesting. May I just say however as far as the power of a SU President goes, you would not have that power or time to get that in your term as President, of which you can have a maximum of two terms.

If you REALLLLY want all this in, I suggest you run for the dáil and eventually become Taoiseach, that is the only way I could see your ideas happening (Don't take that as an insult, I'm speaking from experience of knowing what can and can't be done in a specific timeframe.)

I however will be waiting to see who else is running. I would like to know who you are though.

PROGRAM_IX wrote: »
    Saying your tone is elitist isn't childish or libellous. It's an interpretation of how you presented your ideas, and no-one has disagreed yet.

i was referring to the implementation of godwin's law
    Being asked to reveal your name is reasonable because you named another poster.

my name is john cambridge what's the confusion?
    And finally:
    I particularly love how you keep returning to LIT as the counter-UL. It's just another 3rd level institution.
    If you get us to MIT standards on the back of these policies, I'll gladly switch to LIT. I think I need a shower after reading this thread.

well enjoy your 35k a year salary
    Cambridge you clearly are as incompetent as the people you have insulted above in their ELECTED positions. They may have failed with some policies but at least they understand you can't make unrelaistic plans like you are doing. Do you actually think you have the power to remove UL from the CAO system for example? If you do i'd recommend you stay well away from this campaign.

have you read my actual posts? this is a 10 year plan, my vision. baby steps baby.

i would have to ask the moderators to investigate when the above posters are affiliated to any other candidate, they seem intent on smearing my campaign without offering any substance.

do the ul establishment already feel threatened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Delta Kilo wrote: »

i am a user of this forum. the rules on this forum are designed to protect said users on this forum. you do no understand the rules, you are infracting the rules. edit your post.
    Said the guy who call out another user

All I can say is while I find *some* of your ideas interesting. May I just say however as far as the power of a SU President goes, you would not have that power or time to get that in your term as President, of which you can have a maximum of two terms.

If you REALLLLY want all this in, I suggest you run for the dáil and eventually become Taoiseach, that is the only way I could see your ideas happening (Don't take that as an insult, I'm speaking from experience of knowing what can and can't be done in a specific timeframe.)

I however will be waiting to see who else is running. At least it's new ideas. I would like to know who you are though.

Always will be room for someone with your knowledge, honesty and acumen on my team Ginge.

Jester252 wrote: »
    Said the guy how call out another user

seriously, we need some literacy skills here stat!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Ginge Young

Always will be room for someone with your knowledge, honesty and acumen on my team Ginge.

Not sure how I feel about that :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭shabouwcaw

A Wild Boner Appears! Boner used Harden!.....
    Not sure how I feel about that

....It wasn't very effective..

8======>

I guess you could say you would be the Heinrich Himmler in his campaign, Ginge.

• Advertisement

It would be intresting to see some of these ideas coming through but it won't happen in the SU pres term lenght. Do you plan on putting your ideas in place for all thrid level eduction because if you become the usi pres or a TD you can't change UL like this and leave the rest behind. I do think the point system needs to be changed. What is you idea about removing most of the science courses from UL? Why do you what to get rid of the business department? Also do you know that people with certin medical condtions might not be able to take part in c&s. Loved your part on the fitness level need to pass collage. Do you watch operation transformation? Also why don't you what to tell us who you are?
    Do you plan on running in a ski mask?
    If you think any one believes the name you gave I'm John Jester252

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

My thoughts on the fact that cambridge considers a lot of the staff in UL as spongers, and a lot of the students as spongers also.. I know exactly what types of financial pressures are already present within departments, and how much pressure is put on staff to ensure the safety of their departments and the safety of the positions of the staff within those departments. They (cambridge) appears to have overlooked that these so-called sponger staff often manage to bring in enough external funding to allow people like cambridge an opportunity to be in college in the first place. .

Of course when the likes of cambridge appear to be wasting this opportunity for an education to put forwards a somewhat Napoleonic set of ideals (I was going to use Himmler but thought that may paint Himmler in too good a light ;)) questions whether cambridge would be a good fit for a leadership rol after all.

The 10 year plan comes across as unrealistic, ill-thought-out, unattainable, and downright delusional - and gives every appearance of being the product of a mind that may only have a tenuous grip on reality..

Good luck with the nominations - I think that these postings here by cambridge do a perfectly good smear job on cambridge and there would be no need for an opponent to do anything other than get the popcorn out, sit back, and watch the disintegration of a campaign..

(I speak as one that has worked on a successful SU presidential campaign - I know what works, and cambridge's ideals suggest failure before starting).

<addendum>
    Not that I believe cambridge when they self-identify as "John Cambridge" (going against Boards code of Conduct in the process) - but it means a little research can be done:
    It appears that after a little research through the current student register there is neither a "John Cambridge" nor anyone with "Cambridge" as a surname listed as a current student, either undergrad or postgrad, and therefore would not be eligible to run for SU.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

I'd vote for Cambridge, just to see what would happen.

I think it'd be funny :pac:

Jester252 wrote: »
    It would be intresting to see some of these ideas coming through but it won't happen in the SU pres term lenght. Do you plan on putting your ideas in place for all thrid level eduction because if you become the usi pres or a TD you can't change UL like this and leave the rest behind.

The process would be trialled at UL. On it's success inevitably other institutions would attempt to copy it, i would have neither power or the ability to encourage or prevent that.
    What is you idea about removing most of the science courses from UL?

A lot of science stuff, med lab stuff etc., is far more suited to the framework in ITs. People need to get really good really quick at specific skills needed for industry/research. Med lab, biochem anaylsis, manufacturing chemistry, etc. etc. is far better suited to the IT Model.

Why do you what to get rid of the business department?

I don't.
    Also do you know that people with certin medical condtions might not be able to take part in c&s.

no, there are no people who have medical conditions who can't partake in something within c&S. I was in the gym yesterday with a guy in a wheel chair. People with prediagnosed congenital heart murmurs would need the strictest management and their program would have to be approved by their cardiologist. It would probably consist of 30 min walking a day.
    Loved your part on the fitness level need to pass collage. Do you watch operation transformation?

no, but i know the gist of it,
    Also why don't you what to tell us who you are?

I did
    Do you plan on running in a ski mask?

i plan on running a faceless campaignt to make the point people shouldn't vote for the most attractive person. i think a ski mask is too contraversial and insites fear, i have a lutra livre mask.
    If you think any one believes the name you gave I'm John Jester252

hi john, always looking for people to help with posters, wear tshirts, spread the word, would love you on my campaign team

Popoutman wrote: »
    My thoughts on the fact that cambridge considers a lot of the staff in UL as spongers, and a lot of the students as spongers also.

You need to sit down and ask yourself some questions. Do you know all the staff and students in UL? Are you aware, like in every large, publicly funded, enterprise, there are people who do very little work for a large salary? Do you accept that these phenomena exists? Do you also accept the possibility there are students in UL on education grants, who don't go to college, who don't pass exams and who eventually drop out and try again some other time?
    I know exactly what types of financial pressures are already present within departments, and how much pressure is put on staff to ensure the safety of their departments and the safety of the positions of the staff within those departments.

they're under financial stress because they're obsolete.
    They (cambridge) appears to have overlooked that these so-called sponger staff often manage to bring in enough external funding to allow people like cambridge an opportunity to be in college in the first place.

If they were bringing in funding, from SFI, industry, other sources, they would hardly be spongers. They would in fact be the core components of a academic unit and would be important in the new UL.
    The 10 year plan comes across as unrealistic, ill-thought-out, unattainable, and downright delusional - and gives every appearance of being the product of a mind that may only have a tenuous grip on reality..

List the things that are unrealistic. List the barriers to their implementation. I've grown weary of your rhetoric.
    (I speak as one that has worked on a successful SU presidential campaign - I know what works, and cambridge's ideals suggest failure before starting).

try colours left to the end? is your pal seeking renomination?
    nor anyone with "Cambridge" as a surname listed as a current student, either undergrad or postgrad, and therefore would not be eligible to run for SU.

lol, you really fancy yourself as inspector clueso, what did you do, check the email lists?

hi john, always looking for people to help with posters, wear tshirts, spread the word, would love you on my campaign team
    Thanks I would like to get involved in the campaign. PM me with the details of the meetings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

While I would agree with some of cambridge's sentiments, frankly, your tone and attitude make it impossible to respect you as a candidate.

What's more worrying is that we never seem to be able to have a mature discussion on this forum without resorting to godwin's law and personal abuse...

And he doesn't have to identify himself. He named another poster and it was deleted, end of. He's not making any allegations, so doesn't have to justify his ideas to us with a name.

EDIT: I would like to ask though, which courses would you consider "mickey mouse". *sits back with popcorn....*

what's with naming another poster, you just google his username and he's got his full name on the front page of his personal site.

ppl here call me daft...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Wow...24 hours and that!

I do find some of your ideas interesting, given that some of them were my ideas, Keith's ideas and Enda's ideas last year and many others before us too.

I love the way you try to drive a wedge between Keith's campaign and mine. The reality is that you'd struggle to find any conflicting ideas in our manifestos, just different takes on implementing things with the same end in sight.

To address your ignorance to what I do, I most certainly made no grand promises, because frankly, I have this thing called "common sense", but as a wide man once said; The world would be a great place if only common sense was common.

I have turned around some past grand promises such as 24 hour library facilities, and in a year when bugetary cuts are being implemented by the University in order to meet the HEA's requirement of reducing the deficit to 0 by 2016 (Currently €1.8 million) against average annual 8% cuts expected for each foreseeable budget, I have delivered an extra hour to students at exam time. It's not huge, nor am I seeking any kudos for it, but I promised longer hours at exam time and I delivered longer hours at exam time. It required compromise, but with an attitude of no surrender like you have outlined you will soon find yourself stonewalled as the University waits for your successor to be elected. A wasted year is something no organisation wants or can afford. There's much more that has been achieved, and this year has brought this home to me:

tumblr_lo8lmxkLWz1ql98vto1_500.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQFMKwBbjygHGo7KMxusS_jGcE4OPlcjmecSPrUwQIuW8XehvqG

I take issue with the description of the campaign, as I think you will find right into July I was unaware of impending financial problems. As far as I was concerned, trading recommenced in September and the finances would improve. I have been distracted from my actual job of representing students by dealing with this. To be fair, management do a good job of presenting options, but still there are a lot of things I could be doing with my time apart from dealing with financial woes, which realistically are close to being under control and are not as bad as most people would make out.

In short; some good ideas, some bad ideas, some other off-the-wall ideas.

But, hey, Im outta here in 127 days. Knock yourself out. I could have abandoned the place on numerous occasions, but that would do nothing to solve the real issues, finances being just a distraction. Knock yourself out!

• Advertisement

On the bright side he said that you are charming. IMO take the complement and run :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement