Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rumours of Sabbats for next year....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭PunkFreud

cambridge wrote: »
    Do you also accept the possibility there are students in UL on education grants, who don't go to college, who don't pass exams and who eventually drop out and try again some other time?

I can understand your problem with this, but in fairness, I don't think there should be much a clampdown on people getting another go at exams, whether in the summer or after a few years. At the end of the day, people deserve a second chance.
    List the things that are unrealistic. List the barriers to their implementation. I've grown weary of your rhetoric.

I think one major problem is your assumption that you're going to get elected to every position you need to implement the changes in the next 10 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying it's incredibly hard. It would also be made more difficult by your radical ideas.

Another problem is the fact you would need a lot approval in order to implement each change (whether by a board, or Government), which is no easy task.

The last problem I'll mention is with regard to the grant. The grant already takes alot of time to go through at the moment. That would be made much more difficult by the introduction of food stamps and rent tokens which would increase bureaucracy. You're also ignoring the fact that students also need to buy other things such as college books, bus tickets, stationary, clothes, laptops, et cetera
    lol, you really fancy yourself as inspector clueso, what did you do, check the email lists?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're not on the email list, then you're not a UL student. What are you trying to hide by giving a fake name. An angry mob won't appear outside your door, we just want to know who exactly you are as a candidate. Some of us may want to get involved, which would be made very difficult by the smoke and mirrors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

Hey cambridge - I've obviously got a much better handle on how things are in the real world, not the little bubble that you appear to exist in. The idea that you could simply shuffle around the departments shows a lot of naievety as to how a 3rd-level institution is run day-to-day, and how awkward the unions can be when they are threatened - especially in a place like UL. You'd only end up with strikes and lawsuits all with merit and no work being done and a collapse of the institution. As for the number of people that I know in UL - I'd say I'd know a good 3-5 times as many as you do, not that this discussion is a popularity contest anyway.

It's good that you are tiring of my rhetoric - I'm obviously hitting a sore point if I am, and your responses aren't exactly confidence-inspiring for wit or charisma.

Anyway this discussion isn't about me, it's all about you. If you're not showing up in the expected places as a current registered student, then there's two possibilities:
    1. You are not who you said you are, and by implication therefore we cannot believe anything that you are saying, and you can now be easily dismissed as a standard troll.
    2. You are who you say you are, but you are not a current student and therefore not entitled to stand for sabbat elections, and therefore you can be ignored for your rather silly statements about what you'd like to be.

You really do give the impression that you are underprepared for any public office let alone a sabbat position. There is absolutely no charisma coming through in your postings, there's no clarity or consistency apparent there either. There is no ability to engender trust in your position, or to be able to persuade people that your position is a good one. You are coming across as a bit of a ranting madman unfortunatly - I'm sure you're not that bad in real life. And you appear to have have managed to alienate the majority of people here in this thread and if that pattern were to be shown through an election, well it wouldn't be a proud moment for you now would it..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 376 ✭✭cambridge

ninty9er wrote: »
    Wow...24 hours and that!

I do find some of your ideas interesting, given that some of them were my ideas, Keith's ideas and Enda's ideas last year and many others before us too.

which were which? Are you accusing me of plagiarism? the only good idea you ever had was to not seek your 99th renomination
    I take issue with the description of the campaign, as I think you will find right into July I was unaware of impending financial problems.

You're either lying or stupid. How could you not know?
    In short; some good ideas, some bad ideas, some other off-the-wall ideas.

all are excellent ideas. just some would involved a lot more cooperation to achieve than others

But, hey, Im outta here in 127 days.

thank god
    Knock yourself out. I could have abandoned the place on numerous occasions, but that would do nothing to solve the real issues, finances being just a distraction. Knock yourself out!

i'll knock myself out twice so i'll end up knocked in.

i'll knock myself out twice so i'll end up knocked in.

No, probably knocked up :D

PunkFreud wrote: »
    I can understand your problem with this, but in fairness, I don't think there should be much a clampdown on people getting another go at exams, whether in the summer or after a few years. At the end of the day, people deserve a second chance.

Absolutely, repeats are there for a reason. Nor am i slighting people that take a detour through college, I am merely making the point that people get into college too soon, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons etc. just because that's how the conveyor belt is moving in this era.
    I think one major problem is your assumption that you're going to get elected to every position you need to implement the changes in the next 10 years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm just saying it's incredibly hard. It would also be made more difficult by your radical ideas.

i'm quietly confident
    Another problem is the fact you would need a lot approval in order to implement each change (whether by a board, or Government), which is no easy task.

rome wasn't built in a day
    The last problem I'll mention is with regard to the grant. The grant already takes alot of time to go through at the moment. That would be made much more difficult by the introduction of food stamps and rent tokens which would increase bureaucracy. You're also ignoring the fact that students also need to buy other things such as college books, bus tickets, stationary, clothes, laptops, et cetera

all will be allowed for in the system.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're not on the email list, then you're not a UL student. What are you trying to hide by giving a fake name. An angry mob won't appear outside your door, we just want to know who exactly you are as a candidate. Some of us may want to get involved, which would be made very difficult by the smoke and mirrors.

i opted out of adding my email to the student email list at the start of term as i didn't want my email made available under the data protection act.

• Advertisement

Popoutman wrote: »
    Hey cambridge - I've obviously got a much better handle on how things are in the real world, not the little bubble that you appear to exist in.

really? how do you know? who are you? very grand and bold statement to make. since i never heard of you til about 6 hours ago i am surprised you can make such a statement.
    The idea that you could simply shuffle around the departments shows a lot of naievety as to how a 3rd-level institution is run day-to-day, and how awkward the unions can be when they are threatened - especially in a place like UL.

do a thatcher on them, **** the unions.
    You'd only end up with strikes and lawsuits all with merit and no work being done and a collapse of the institution.

can i borrow your crystal ball?
    As for the number of people that I know in UL - I'd say I'd know a good 3-5 times as many as you do, not that this discussion is a popularity contest anyway.

i know 3 ppl in ul, so that means you know 9 or 15. so i don't think you're in a good position to judge.
    It's good that you are tiring of my rhetoric - I'm obviously hitting a sore point if I am, and your responses aren't exactly confidence-inspiring for wit or charisma.

no, i find you boring and predictable, you make reunion sound interesting.
    Anyway this discussion isn't about me, it's all about you. If you're not showing up in the expected places as a current registered student, then there's two possibilities:

you know nothing. be quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Absolutely, repeats are there for a reason. Nor am i slighting people that take a detour through college, I am merely making the point that people get into college too soon, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons etc. just because that's how the conveyor belt is moving in this era.
    What would be a good age to go to collage?
    all will be allowed for in the system.
    What shops would take these "tokens"?
    i opted out of adding my email to the student email list at the start of term as i didn't want my email made available under the data protection act.
    Lol what

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

This Cambridge account has to be a Grade A Troll hasn't it? I cannot believe that someone would firstly want to implement some crazy ideas and also run a faceless campaign. Elections are about policy but also Charisma and ability to appeal to the masses....a faceless campaign will result in questions about real motive etc...the people like to know who there voting for. It would be nice seeing as you question other people in this forums alliance's etc...if you could reveal yourself so we get to know a bit about you.

Jester252 wrote: »
    What would be a good age to go to collage?

jesus jester, college, college. It all depends on the individual. Some excel at 17, some take the year out and come at 19. some start college in their 30s. it would depend. the point is challenging the status quo of entering 3rd level immediately after 2nd level.

What shops would take these "tokens"?

What's the point in debating the details of a hypothetical. I can come up witha million ways to implement this system so i presume people who actually implement these systems can also. The salient point is money from the grant will go directly to housing. if/when ul brings in the student credit card thing, that's another to implement it. for other big purchases, supplying a receipt will be justification enough.

Lol what[/QUOTE]

I didn't want a UL email because i didn't want the college emailing me and i didn't want my email to be potentially investigated by government. It's in the fine print, you do not have to accept it. all my corresponce with the college is via post, i get a **** loads of junk mail.

This Cambridge account has to be a Grade A Troll hasn't it?

wrong
    I cannot believe that someone would firstly want to implement some crazy ideas and also run a faceless campaign.

INCREDIBLE ISNT IT OMG
    Elections are about policy but also Charisma and ability to appeal to the masses....a faceless campaign will result in questions about real motive etc...the people like to know who there voting for. It would be nice seeing as you question other people in this forums alliance's etc...if you could reveal yourself so we get to know a bit about you.

i want to be elected on merit not on my looks, my ability to drink beer or my ability to degrade myself in public. leave that to the rest of the candidates. if the masses vote in favour of the others so be it. I'd rather win my genuine merit rather than gimmick (but i guess you could say my anti-gimmick campaign is a gimmick, i will readdress this with my campaign manager)

• Advertisement

I'd like to see the UL document that shows that. (As an aside, the DPA isn't relevant in this scenario anyway as only UL people have access to that list - the information would not be leaking to outside the organisation)

It appears that you have something to hide - I'd suggest it's your real identity. I don't particularly want to know it, but it's curious that you are trying to hide it so hard. Especially if you wished to run for a sabbat position, how would you expect to be contacted? Through FB or some other agency outside UL? That's not that clever if you wish to look as though you can be worked with by C&S or the UL entities themselves. If you can't work upwards with the institution you'd be interfacing with, you'd be a very poor President. You're not exactly giving off vibes of "Trust me! I'd be the Best Ever in the role!"

To be honest I've got a gut feeling that cambridge is "working very closely" with another poster whose username has become nothing more than a meme on here. The strangeness being spouted and the patterns of replies are too similar...

I'd like to see the UL document that shows that. (As an aside, the DPA isn't relevant in this scenario anyway as only UL people have access to that list - the information would not be leaking to outside the organisation)

go look it up then...i thought you've been around the block a few times here
    It appears that you have something to hide - I'd suggest it's your real identity. I don't particularly want to know it, but it's curious that you are trying to hide it so hard. Especially if you wished to run for a sabbat position, how would you expect to be contacted?

via my personal email?
    Through FB or some other agency outside UL? That's not that clever if you wish to look as though you can be worked with by C&S or the UL entities themselves.

if elected i'd use my supresident@ul.ie mail as this is mandated.
    To be honest I've got a gut feeling that cambridge is "working very closely" with another poster whose username has become nothing more than a meme on here. The strangeness being spouted and the patterns of replies are too similar...

your opinion isn't really that important. I'd like your x on the ballot but you probably aren't a student in ul. if you are, you probably don't even vote, ad if you do vote, you'd probably just vote for the guy that gave you a few lolly. you're not really the type i'm trying to target.

i am targeting the disenfranchised, the people that thought they were getting a ul experience when they signed up for this. i am campaigning for all the people that got duped by ul mismarketing. i am campaigning for the people that are saying no to 4 euro nagins for breakfast, saying no to being a fat slob who never exercises, saying no to lecturers who are nobodies in their fields.

you may think these people don't exist, i claim there are thousands. SU elections have a turn out of what? 3k? 4k? i think i have a chance. even if every hack from here to raheen votes against me.

if you are a real student why don't you run against me? we could have a side bet to see who gets most votes?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭bazkennedy

Cambridge, a question for you. One of the key perceived problems with the SU this year is the lack of transparency. How do you intend to fix this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

no, i find you boring and predictable, you make reunion sound interesting.

you know nothing. be quiet.

With all due respect cambridge, if you keep going around insulting people who disagree with you on your opinion, then the most you can expect to happen is for you to get banned by the Mods at some stage in the future.

You raise some valid points, but there are some that are completely, for want of a better word, absurd. You talk about a "food coupon" scheme with regards to the grant. Like the others said, what if students need to get other things too, such as books? How are they expected to pay for them?

HAAHAA!! <need a smily for crying with laughter>

Oh it gets better!

It'd be hard for cambridge to fix transparency when it's apparent that they haven't got a clue what that actually means, and if they did that htey would probably be against it..

I'd love to have that innocence that is shown above back, where the young naieve idealistic silliness appears to be such a good idea - people like that made great front-line soldiers (aka cannon fodder). People in the real world would have a much better idea of what's attainable and what would need compromise.

As for you not knowing me - I'd like to see if you are as "interesting" in real life as you try to appear here - I know I am not a whole lot different between my postings and my real life conversations and anyone that knows me IRL will attest to that!

cambridge - you have no idea who I am, yet you try to attack me. I'm attacking your ideas and the methodology that you yourself have put forwards and you have not exactly mounted a coherent defence - probably as only the mad could try and defend a lost cause. Given that you have nothing useful to defend, it's a pity that you go for the ad hominem route. That won't work too well trying to implement your ideas.

You'd be surprised what I would know about things that you've shown an ignorance of - and I for sure know that your list of ideals would be something that would be unworkable in the world that is UL, and very unworkable in any larger frame than that - especially when you are not showing any ability to bring people to your cause.

I await the ballot paper with a smile on my face, but my prediction is that there won't be any "John Cambridge" on it.

all minutes from all meetings will be published online within 48 hours (sooner if feasible, a little longer if 48 is unrealistic).

I'd investigate if it would be possible to have council, board and non-private meetings recorded and made available for the (very) few that wish to investigate who said what and where.

I would have no problem having everything i've said recorded. I certainly won't try and dupe the C&S people into signing for things under false pretences and I certainly won't email people threatening them to keep quiet about things.

I'd also ask Baz Kennedy and Keith Young what they'd think would increase transparency in the union and implement them ideas too if possible.

I'd ask derek what he thinks and i'd do the opposite.

OhMSGlive wrote: »

You raise some valid points, but there are some that are completely, for want of a better word, absurd. You talk about a "food coupon" scheme with regards to the grant. Like the others said, what if students need to get other things too, such as books? How are they expected to pay for them?

as i said. the college is bringing in a credit card system. they will get credit on this card. the college also has a book shop. this isn't rocket science people.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

With all due respect cambridge, if you keep going around insulting people who disagree with you on your opinion, then the most you can expect to happen is for you to get banned by the Mods at some stage in the future.

Better word --->
    Sid_Justician

HAAHAA!! <need a smily for crying with laughter>

Oh it gets better!

It'd be hard for cambridge to fix transparency when it's apparent that they haven't got a clue what that actually means, and if they did that htey would probably be against it..

I'd love to have that innocence that is shown above back, where the young naieve idealistic silliness appears to be such a good idea - people like that made great front-line soldiers (aka cannon fodder). People in the real world would have a much better idea of what's attainable and what would need compromise.

As for you not knowing me - I'd like to see if you are as "interesting" in real life as you try to appear here - I know I am not a whole lot different between my postings and my real life conversations and anyone that knows me IRL will attest to that!

cambridge - you have no idea who I am, yet you try to attack me. I'm attacking your ideas and the methodology that you yourself have put forwards and you have not exactly mounted a coherent defence - probably as only the mad could try and defend a lost cause. Given that you have nothing useful to defend, it's a pity that you go for the ad hominem route. That won't work too well trying to implement your ideas.

You'd be surprised what I would know about things that you've shown an ignorance of - and I for sure know that your list of ideals would be something that would be unworkable in the world that is UL, and very unworkable in any larger frame than that - especially when you are not showing any ability to bring people to your cause.

I await the ballot paper with a smile on my face, but my prediction is that there won't be any "John Cambridge" on it.

Really don't know what this post is about. If you could make concise criticism of my ideas, I could discuss that with you. You just vaguely insulted me and call me mad. I'd like to remind you that other sabbatical officers implied certain things about sabbatical officers mental health, if you continue to imply things about me in this manner i will report you.

What's the point in debating the details of a hypothetical. I can come up witha million ways to implement this system so i presume people who actually implement these systems can also. The salient point is money from the grant will go directly to housing. if/when ul brings in the student credit card thing, that's another to implement it. for other big purchases, supplying a receipt will be justification enough.
    If you what to bring in the "tokens" you need to have a good bit of the details sorted out. You can't bring in the system and go you sort out the details bye. You will be killed by the students who get the grant.
    I didn't want a UL email because i didn't want the college emailing me and i didn't want my email to be potentially investigated by government. It's in the fine print, you do not have to accept it. all my corresponce with the college is via post, i get a **** loads of junk mail.
    The Black helicopters is above your head. The pizza van is across the street. All because the lizards that run the world what to stop you and your knowledge that would bring down their system.

• Advertisement

If you what to bring in the "tokens" you need to have a good bit of the details sorted out. You can't bring in the system and go you sort out the details bye. You will be killed by the students who get the grant.

The Black helicopters is above your head. The pizza van is across the street. All because the lizards that run the world what to stop you and your knowledge that would bring down their system.

The token system is for the future. not for next year or the year after. Su presidents don't bring in these things on their own. I'll put the idea out there (this might be something drek was referring to that might already be in the pipe line) and see how it goes. The basic sentiment is that GRANT money is for essential college MAINTENANCE alcohol, pokemon sticker and drugs are not covered by this.

^ (@cambridge) and you wonder why it appears that what you write gives the impression that you may have issues?

The grant is given to adults to do with as they see fit - unless you are suggesting that the age of majority be brought older to e.g .your own age? No need to handhold any more than the kids of today are already being handheld - the eternal childhood is long enough without more "helpful" schemes as suggested above.

Anyway I think I'm done here - there's nothing of substance worth any more of my time. That spoiler above says it all for me.

listen popcornman, sorry we couldn't come to some common ground on this tonight, let's try another time when you're a bit calmer.

as i said. the college is bringing in a credit card system. they will get credit on this card. the college also has a book shop. this isn't rocket science people.

What if the student whats to buy food from off campus shops?
    What if the student whats to buy books online for cheaper?
    Also it would be a debit card not a credit card
    Can student not buy food in the stables/javas?
    If yes what is stopping them form buying alcohol?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭OhMSGlive

What if the student whats to buy food from off campus shops?
    What if the student whats to buy books online for cheaper?
    Also it would be a debit card not a credit card
    Can student not buy food in the stables/javas?
    If yes what is stopping them from buying alcohol?

I was just about to ask both these questions. Would this "credit card" be acceptible off campus and online? Otherwise, there's just no point as nobody (not even me) wants to spend all their money on campus.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

I was just about to ask both these questions. Would this "credit card" be acceptible off campus and online? Otherwise, there's just no point as nobody (not even me) wants to spend all their money on campus.

And if it is going to work online, how does Mr. Cambridge suggest you stop people just going onto bumwines.com and buying a crate or two of Cisco?

Some of the grant will be directed towards rent and allowance would be paid on the card at a certain rate (controlled as much as possible by the recipient) the rest of the grand will be available for the student to buy books, games, cannabis, condoms as they feel fit.

Some of the grant will be directed towards rent and allowance would be paid on the card at a certain rate (controlled as much as possible by the recipient) the rest of the grand will be available for the student to buy books, games, cannabis, condoms as they feel fit.

So basically, you want to implement the grant so that the student can spend the majority of it on what they want, but have to spend some on rent? Really? You do realise that that's what the vast majority of people do anyway?

Sounds like a whole lot of trouble and administrative jobs-for-the-boys type thing, where you'll spend years arguing to bring in a change like this, and not actually tackle the real issue of people who get the grant that drop-out of college after a week and still claim for an entire year.

And your plan to put money from the grant towards rent. How will that work? You can't put it as a fixed amount, because (for example) Dromroe costs ~4500 per AY, Plassey ~3500 per AY, off campus ~3000 AY.

I'll let you use your imagination for a while, if I keep giving you the answers you'll never learn. Have a think about it, sleep on it. If you can't envision any way to solves these questions by tomorrow I'll give you a hand and point you in the right direction. In the mean time you might google

rent allowance scheme

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

im simply don't know what to say anymore,

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement