Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son Of General Retro Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭DinoRex

Cal... if.. orn... ia...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,103 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

pdbhp wrote: »
    Great news 'Tallafornia' is back on telly tonight so if any of you guys wanna watch a documentary on me tune in.
    I swear that it's a well written and thought out piece of celluloid art:pac:

Was wondering where you had gotten to. Must be busy recording episodes? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭pdbhp

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was wondering where you had gotten to. Must be busy recording episodes? :pac:

The hectic world of TV, cut throat so it is!:P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

He's the oil boy for the guy with the abs!

And as for a good representation of videogames in movies, there's always that bit from Ghost Recon that showed the "Allies" killing a reporter and the group he was imbedded in over in Iraq... Oh wait, that was real life, sorry, they seem so alike!

Grandmas Boy has lots of games in it including the greatest 'Dance Dance Revolution' player ever.!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ugh, don't even get me started on videogames in films. You'd swear filmmakers had never actually sat down and played a game :( Always get a chuckle out of the blatant Gears of War product placement in Die Hard 4.0, though.

The recent Another Earth had two characters emotionally bond over a vigorous round or ten of Wii boxing. They looked like idiots, but I guess everyone looks like idiots playing Wii boxing? So that's pretty accurate in a weird sort of way.

Scarlett Johansson walking through an arcade in Lost in Translation is also the rare example of gamers in their natural habitat. Taiko no Tatsujin and Guitar Freaks ahoy!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    He's the oil boy for the all the guys with the abs!

FYP!

Gotta love those abs:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Ugh, don't even get me started on videogames in films. You'd swear filmmakers had never actually sat down and played a game :(

It'll forever depress me how I'll be enjoying a movie to a point, and then there'll be this one videogame scene, where two or more characters seem to treat the control pad like it's a reckless, intense game of Simon Says (the electronic one, not the mean one with mud-eating), regardless of genre and then the screen'll flash Mario Tennis or some other suchery. Boof! Fourth wall shattered, and I go and play some o'them vidjagames instead, as not even Brunel could suspend that amount of disbelief.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,448 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Gaming is one of the last things which film just handles so badly it hurts.

Mr.Saturn is spot on about the 4th wall. Whenever I see that kind of thing it instantly ruins it for me. It's so utterly obvious to anyone who plays games (which is most people nowadays within my generation) it hurts.

The amount of times I've seen people holding a controller and playing a game not for that console (recently I saw someone playing a ps2 Mortal Kombat game with an n64 pad :confused: cant remember what show it was)

Or no game in a handheld console...or people tossing the control pad around like a lunatic..ah, it's enraging.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,099 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Always find it funny when films try to make their own games as well. They barely ever resemble anything remotely playable.

Still have nightmares about Gamer. Christ on a bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Let non one forget Doom, and what a tragic fup up that was.
    One would have imagined someone would have had to sit down and give the game a try, rather than what they actually did, which was borrow John Carmacks copy books from high school and trace over the doodles in the margins!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Have yet to see postal but I'd like to see how that on faired off, since it had such a rich story to draw on.

Mortal Kombat, even though its bad but not terrible, was the best attempt that comes to mind.

And also this was better than the entire series that came after it, still really like that series though Raiden episode was brilliant! I really wish they went with this take on the MK universe but god knows that something actually good that's different can be produced!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9YUeTTaVqo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

DinoRex wrote: »
    In general the games are played pretty normally in The Wizard if I remember correctly... well... except that it makes it look like the Power Glove is actually of some use.

Anytime someone mentions The Wizard, I like to point out that the girl in it grew up to be the lovely Jenny Lewis.

jenny-lewis.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Kinski wrote: »
    Anytime someone mentions The Wizard, I like to point out that the girl in it grew up to be the lovely Jenny Lewis.

Ditto. She of the wonderful Rilo Kiley fame too. :)

I'd listen to Rilo Kiley just to hear the soothing tones of Ms. Lewis.

Luckily they're awesome too!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

She's a bit of an alright.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He touched my breast!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

DinoRex wrote: »
    The website still needs a bit of work but here's the first podcast we recorded:

star_fox_TRACKER.jpg

http://arcadeandretro.com/?p=6

Ok who is impersonating me in the comments:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Sparks43 wrote: »
    Ok who is impersonating me in the comments:eek:

I see a few A&R members have been implicated. There be a jokester amongst us.

This one I must admit was oddly funny, it's like as if he knows Retr0 personally :D
    just two naked guys talking about their favourite game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Well that's the iPad 2 Jailbroken and Blutrol installed and now every game supports the iCade.

Happy days :)

• Advertisement

Downloaded RE Revelations demo earlier, plays great, looks great shows what a powerful piece of tech the 3DS is.
    Must work harder to get monies to buy some 3DS games and save some for Vita

Edge gave it a 6/10....
    Any other reviews out there?

Woo Hoo!
    Ipad 2, Absinthe for Windows turned up first thing this morning.
    No lie in for me, dl'd it and got stuck in.
    After much nervous waiting Cydia was installed on the desktop of the ipad2!
    Next, no sign of any apps there in Cydia...
    Realised I had to let it update...
    Done.
    Now, the important apps!

Imame4all!!

Done!

Happy days, now playing Dodonpachi, Image Fight, some Galaga and Asteroids, via the iCade!
    Because it's the ipad 2 everything is in full speed as well!

It's all good baby, it's all good!

And for future would be imame-nauts, here's some new products from the iCade peeps that you might like,
    20120109-064157.jpg?w=593

and the link

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Woo Hoo!
    Ipad 2, Absinthe for Windows turned up first thing this morning.
    No lie in for me, dl'd it and got stuck in.
    After much nervous waiting Cydia was installed on the desktop of the ipad2!
    Next, no sign of any apps there in Cydia...
    Realised I had to let it update...
    Done.
    Now, the important apps!

Imame4all!!

Done!

Happy days, now playing Dodonpachi, Image Fight, some Galaga and Asteroids, via the iCade!
    Because it's the ipad 2 everything is in full speed as well!

It's all good baby, it's all good!

And for future would be imame-nauts, here's some new products from the iCade peeps that you might like,
    20120109-064157.jpg?w=593

and the link

Don't forget to change the root password once you've jailbroken.
    It's very easy to hack a jailbroken iOS device if the root isnt changed.

I jailbroke my iPad 2 yesterday with the CLI command interface the dev team released and the first thing i did was change the password. I got hacked before and believe it or not there are iOS viruses out there, I know because I got one last year and it ran the battery down in a few hours on my old iPad 1 until I tracked it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Is the iCade responsive enough for the Cave shooters? Any lag?

I fear I may need to upgrade to an iPad 3 in March if Darius Burst: Second Prologue is iPad 2 only.

Pyongyang wrote: »
    Is the iCade responsive enough for the Cave shooters? Any lag?

I fear I may need to upgrade to an iPad 3 in March if Darius Burst: Second Prologue is iPad 2 only.

You'll need to install Blutrol to get the Cave shooters working on the iCade. I don't think they officially support the iCade yet.

I was just about to say the same.
    I see some people are taking the Icade and replacing the buttons with their chosen favourites.
    I'm happy with mine but they are quite noisy and have a lot of travel.

The Cave and other shooters would be ideal in the Icade.
    Not sure how appealing the version with the cab style cowl is, but it is more portable that way.
    The little PSP style case for the Iphone looks quite nifty.
    I could see a current gen iPod touch slotting in there nicely, and staying there!

What we really need is an updated Mame verison.
    The edition that's used is quite old, 10 years, and so it is not playing many of the later titles, although there seems to be some work going into getting the later Metal Slugs and the like running with some private coding.

The Mame people take umbridge with iMame4All because they find it to be old and outdated and principally for playing old arcade games while they are busy disappearing up their own ass and saying it's all about the preserving of machines and emulating the hardware.

I would say, as soon as an official Mame app comes onto the scene again I will be restoring the ipad to non-JB status.

Saw this on the shelf (where it stayed) down the local video house t'other day:

Whatever about Tekken, Street Fighter or even Dead or Alive, I'm more than a little perplexed about who the perceived target audience for this is :pac:

And this is amazing. A Persona 4 figure that comes with an image of the 'PERSONA!' summoning animation on a separate stand:

yu3.jpg

• Advertisement

Hmm, not really my thing tbh.
    I do remember a lovely dragon thingy from FFVIII that Gamesworld, as they were back then, before the dark times, before the Empire, and it was beautiful, cost a small fortune if I remember correctly...

Oh and one for Dinorex...
    5457468b-d35e-4363-bf7d-ae2aede7c089.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement