Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you going to pay the household charge? [Part 1]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Therefore you need broadly based taxes and expenditure cuts.

There's a 0% chance that will work. What we do need is job creation and lots of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭The Quadratic Equation

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    Even if people do wait till 2013 they will be the ones who lost out cause it would have cost them an extra 42 euro for the sake of trying to win a campaign there is no hope of winning. You all seem to think its going to go away. Your wrong it wont go anywhere and they will get it one way or the other. Even if it has to stay attached to the home you can't sell till its paid, you can't get away with not paying because it will either come from your pension, your payslip or your social welfare. But hey your ok because your in a ghost estate so what are you still doing here? You sure your not a TD looking for votes?

I think you're mixing me up with someone else, I'll be paying the household charge, but not a penny until March 2013, and anyone else with honesty, integrity, a sense of decency and self respect should not either. I won't be bullied by anyone into funding golden circle corruption too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

BUT many do not see the debt as theirs, particularly the Bank Debts.
    How do you think the people will vote if there is another Referendum on Europe ?

Well in this democracy thats been mentioned a few times, we would likely vote the way the government wants, or else have another referendum to get their desired result.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭Ian64

greenpilot wrote: »
    Ah, typical ignorant sheltered Dublin comment. Firstly, I can guarantee that I am more educated than you, as my education broadened my mind whereas yours clearly didnt. Secondly, not all people living in the country are Farmers-so your comment regarding milking is unwarranted. Thirdly, I voted FG AND I work for the Government, but I still urge people NOT to pay for the charge. You may view this as irresponsible, but I view it as doing those people who still think for themselves a service in giving them the Heads up. Thirdly, I paid no stamp duty when I "aquired " my home....dont worry, you wouldnt understand.

Fourthly, you clearly dont understand the meaning of Democracy. Lots of Countries chose to elect their Governments but ended up being shafted by those same Goverments and were subsequently removed. Just because we elected the Government doesent mean we cant stand up to them when they veer away from sanity

Fifthly, this IS indeed a Rural/Urban matter. We are being told that the charge is to pay for services. Rural Communities have little, if any services as I have stated earlier, while Urban areas have a huge amount of services available to them. Rural communities will not pay the charge. Urban folks dont have an argument really. One onders what percentage of those who paid live in Urban areas. That will be an interesting Statistic.
    Rural people dont have services? wow! who subsidises their small schools, their unecomic rural transport services?,they dont get medical cards in rural Ireland? they dont use maternity hospitals? They never need the Gardai, the Fire service, The ambulance Service, they wouldn't sending their kids to college, they dont expect their roads to be gritted in winter or to having subsidised day care for their senior citizens. Fact is rural Ireland is hugely subsidized by urban Irelands taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,508 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think you're mixing me up with someone else, I'll be paying the household charge, but not a penny until March 2013, and anyone else with honesty, integrity, a sense of decency and self respect should not either. I won't be bullied by anyone into funding golden circle corruption too easily.

Well I won't be paying at all. They can take the house when i'm gone for all I care. I will not pay what I see as an unjust tax to a shower of gutter snipes. I would probably have thought more of Saddam Hussein than this lot of two-faced chancers or F.F. to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,551 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

greenpilot wrote: »
    Ah, typical ignorant sheltered Dublin comment. Firstly, I can guarantee that I am more educated than you, as my education broadened my mind whereas yours clearly didnt. Secondly, not all people living in the country are Farmers-so your comment regarding milking is unwarranted. Thirdly, I voted FG AND I work for the Government, but I still urge people NOT to pay for the charge. You may view this as irresponsible, but I view it as doing those people who still think for themselves a service in giving them the Heads up. Thirdly, I paid no stamp duty when I "aquired " my home....dont worry, you wouldnt understand.

Fourthly, you clearly dont understand the meaning of Democracy. Lots of Countries chose to elect their Governments but ended up being shafted by those same Goverments and were subsequently removed. Just because we elected the Government doesent mean we cant stand up to them when they veer away from sanity

Fifthly, this IS indeed a Rural/Urban matter. We are being told that the charge is to pay for services. Rural Communities have little, if any services as I have stated earlier, while Urban areas have a huge amount of services available to them. Rural communities will not pay the charge. Urban folks dont have an argument really. One onders what percentage of those who paid live in Urban areas. That will be an interesting Statistic.

As you know this year it is a flat charge of €100. When it is replaced by the property tax that will be higher but will not be the same for every property. Various criteria will have to be applied to arrive at the figure and maybe your concerns will be addressed in the process. When we had domestic rates previously there was a system called Rateable Valuation applied by local authorities. Something similar applies in the North at present in that the domestic rate is set by local district councils and there is considerable variation in what people are paying. Also 24 other EU countries have a tax which is similar to some degree so we could perhaps find a model that could be applied here since we are not the only place with rural and urban dwellings. Nothing will be totally satisfactory but there is no point in dismissing it out of hand until we can see what is being proposed.

fair Play that man!
    I only have to pay €100 he is offering €142 and he thinks that paying the extra €42 is a protest! The government love protesters that offer more tax then they have to,play on

Ian64 wrote: »
    fair Play that man!
    I only have to pay €00 he is offering €142 and he thinks that paying the extra €2 is a protest! The government love protesters that offer more tax then they have to,play on

I take it Maths was not your favourite subject.

I take it Maths was not your favourite subject.

Id say its more typo`s in fairness, when the € is typed, the first number typed does not seem to respond.

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Id say its more typo`s in fairness, when the € is typed, the first number typed does not seem to respond.

Probably right. I thought for a moment he was the F.G. accountant.

• Advertisement

I laughed at that:D

Thanks Robbie, i notice that he honed in on my typos and eveaded the thrust of my post

I laughed at that:D
    so did I

Thanks Robbie, i notice that he honed in on my typos and eveaded the thrust of my post

Aw don't take it to heart. We are all friends together here :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Bishop_Donal

I would like to see a Group established to support local authorities in ensuring this tax is collected.

I would be prepared to work for them on a voluntary basis to ensure all eligible houses in my area are tracked and identified.

I think this could prove particularly helpful in Rural locations. Quite a few people might be interested in helping to track down those who are trying to evade their duties, so that there is fair play for all.

Any thoughts from those in favour of seeing the country put on a stable footing? I don't need to hear the usual barrage of bullsh1t that will come from the loudmouth lefties.

I would like to see a Group established to support local authorities in ensuring this tax is collected.

I would be prepared to work for them on a voluntary basis to ensure all eligible houses in my area are tracked and identified.

I think this could prove particularly helpful in Rural locations. Quite a few people might be interested in helping to track down those who are trying to evade their duties, so that there is fair play for all.

Any thoughts from those in favour of seeing the country put on a stable footing? I don't need to hear the usual barrage of bullsh1t that will come from the loudmouth lefties.

Tayto even I have to say that good, very witty, touche!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Jesus, it'll be Saint_Donal before long. So good it had to be posted twice. Don't reckon its going to happen though, privacy laws and all that........Thank god! Stick to being a keyboard warrior.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Looks like any of the clowns who have opted to register for the crazy household tax have now registered themselves for a new broadcast charge coming also..madness!

www.rte.ie/news/2012/0118/television.html

gerryo777 wrote: »
    Jesus, it'll be Saint_Donal before long. So good it had to be posted twice. Don't reckon its going to happen though, privacy laws and all that........Thank god! Stick to being a keyboard warrior.

If you only had to post things twice around here to get the Numbskulls to grasp the point it would be gr8!!

Data Protection Act may not apply if there was a formal agreement in place (i.e. if you were engaged similarly to the people who do the census work for the CSO).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

SS or Secret police.
    You could be like the Jew hunter in Inglourious Basterds.

Hopefully you'll end up the same as him as well.

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Looks like any of the clowns who have opted to register for the crazy household tax have now registered themselves for a new broadcast charge coming also..madness!

There is a fish tank tax coming soon. Also a budgie licence, cat licence and a bin parking fee outside your door on the day you leave it out for collection.
    Rabbitte tax already being paid by all of us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

Data Protection Act may not apply if there was a formal agreement in place (i.e. if you were engaged similarly to the people who do the census work for the CSO).
    I think it would apply in this case.
    I have to say, I'm not completely against the idea of this charge but I do think the timing of it is all wrong.
    To try and bring it in at the height of the worst recession this country has seen in a long time is pure madness in my opinion.
    To bring it in when we everyone knows it's only being used to pay of unsecured bondholders in our bankrupt banks because the germans and the french tell us to is pure madness in my opinion.
    Park it for now and revisit the idea in 5 years time when hopefully we are out of the mess we are currently in.
    At this present time I will not be paying.

There is a fish tank tax coming soon. Also a budgie licence, cat licence and a bin parking fee outside your door on the day you leave it out for collection.
    How about a posting leftie economically illiterate posts on boards.ie tax?
    But could you and the lads afford it?

How about a posting leftie economically illiterate posts on boards.ie tax?
    :D

If you only had to post things twice around here to get the Numbskulls to grasp the point it would be gr8!!

I dont think the census form asks who owns the house etc. Maybe you can ask that when you go door to door with your little notebook.

You must be losing sleep at night about people not paying. Volunteering to enforce it. Good man.

That wouldnt matter to bishop enforcer, would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Xenophile wrote: »
    Martin Luther King On Duty To Break Unjust Laws

Martin Luther King, in his famous "Letter from the Birmingham Jail," called on all Americans to actively but peacefully oppose laws that were morally wrong. King wrote:

"There are just laws and there are unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that an unjust law is no law at all... One who breaks an unjust law must do it openly, lovingly...I submit that an individual who breaks a law that conscience tells him is unjust, and willingly accepts the penalty by staying in jail to arouse the conscience of the community over its injustice, is in reality expressing the very highest respect for law."

To eliminate any misunderstanding, I wish to state that in my opinion the Law on Household Tax is a just law and is a well established Revenue Law in most of Western Europe.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

corcaigh1 wrote: »

The idea of this is, you might be someone that never had a tv. But now once you have even a laptop, you will be liable for the rte tax.

Watch out, inspector donal will be knocking in soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Is anybody able to see the list for group 1 & 2 houses on the exemption page on the website?

Local press in Wexford has some estates listed that are exempt and the residents are bemused seeing as one is a 38 year old estate:confused:

Another I know that's exempt has every house occupied and is finished,where I live has over 50 empty units and unfinished roads yet I'm expected to pay the charge.
    Did they just pick some places out of a hat??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement