Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013; Eat my dust Meno!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

18/14 LSRs this weekend, huh?
    Looks like training is coming along nicely. Are yourself and Digger doing Donadea also?
    I'm on 15/11 so appear to be well behind the curve. This will be my first back-to-back LSRs of this training plan so hope they go well also. I'm trying to not think about the runs in advance and just treat them as numbers that simply have to get done!
    I'll probably catch ye all in the Park on Sat morning where I'll be doing 11/12 miles...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »
    Looks like training is coming along nicely. Are yourself and Digger doing Donadea also?
    I'm on 15/11 so appear to be well behind the curve. This will be my first back-to-back LSRs of this training plan so hope they go well also. I'm trying to not think about the runs in advance and just treat them as numbers that simply have to get done!
    I'll probably catch ye all in the Park on Sat morning where I'll be doing 11/12 miles...

Not doing Donadea, see you Saturday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

belcarra wrote: »

So far so good for the first 2.5 weeks out of 14. Will just keep tipping away and hope it all goes to plan this time around. Enjoying so far anyway. And my 2 highest mileage weeks to date. Our first proper back-to-back LSRs were last Saturday and Sunday - 16 in the the park and 10 in the dublin mountains. The second one should have been 12 but we were a couple of miles up on the midweek runs so just did 10. It was fine. But it means this weekend may be quite a shock to the system. Will take it all nice and handy and as it comes though. Not doing Donadea but there will definitely be a substitute arranged in lieu - don't fancy 50k of laps! Hopefully see you Saturday so - we're starting at 9 and will be going back by the papal cross carpark at 10 befre the remaining 12 miles.

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Not doing Donadea, see you Saturday

Thanks for providing such a polite reply on my log!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

claralara wrote: »
    So far so good for the first 2.5 weeks out of 14. Will just keep tipping away and hope it all goes to plan this time around. Enjoying so far anyway. And my 2 highest mileage weeks to date. Our first proper back-to-back LSRs were last Saturday and Sunday - 16 in the the park and 10 in the dublin mountains. The second one should have been 12 but we were a couple of miles up on the midweek runs so just did 12. It was fine. But it means this weekend may be quite a shock to the system. Will take it all nice and handy and as it comes though. Not doing Donadea but there will definitely be a substitute arranged in lieu - don't fancy 50k of laps! Hopefully see you Saturday so - we're starting at 9 and will be going back by the papal cross carpark at 10 befre the remaining 12 miles.

Look after yourself, you're about to do 70% of your biggest mileage week ever in two days! Softly softly catchy monkey! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Mr Slow wrote: »
    Look after yourself, you're about to do 70% of your biggest mileage week ever in two days! Softly softly catchy monkey! ;)

Watch out for Mr. Slow on the LSRs this weekend...

(How do you embed jpgs from desktop??)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Thought you were doing 18 + 20 from looking at the group training thread. Thought you'd gone mad(der). 18/14 is still big numbers though.

Thought you were doing Donadea, I hope you will still be coming to mop our brows?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Don't you have a maserati cause i'm sure you turned up to a lsr on Sunday in the Park in one?:D

I know I'm mathematically challenged but shouldnt that be circa 56%?! ;)

Thought you were doing 18 + 20 from looking at the group training thread. Thought you'd gone mad(der). 18/14 is still big numbers though.

Thought you were doing Donadea, I hope you will still be coming to mop our brows?

Not that mad just yet. 18/14 are big numbers alright - I'm trying to forget about the 14 until tomorrow evening. One day at a time. Otherwise, I'll go insane.

Wouldn't mind heading down to Donadea to have a look and mop your brows, squeeze your blisters etc. (I was going to say 'put body glide on your chaffing nipples' but no doubt the inappropriate bandwagon would derail with excitement at that!!) :D I didn't realise you were running it? Any time goals?

chinguetti wrote: »
    Don't you have a maserati cause i'm sure you turned up to a lsr on Sunday in the Park in one?:D

No, you must be mistaken. I don't have a maserati. And I definitely wouldn't have taken one of the other cars to the Park. I only take those modes of transport that can't end up on blocks when I'm attending at the north side of the river; like the chopper.

• Advertisement

I know I'm mathematically challenged but shouldnt that be circa 56%?! ;)

As per RQ I thought you were doing 18/20

Wouldn't mind heading down to Donadea to have a look and mop your brows, squeeze your blisters etc. (I was going to say 'put body glide on your chaffing nipples' but no doubt the inappropriate bandwagon would derail with excitement at that!!) :D I didn't realise you were running it? Any time goals?

Note to self ; Charge the iphone for this as it could be an interesting video ;):D

I didn't realise you were running it? Any time goals?

Well, I'm starting it anyway. Not guaranteeing I'll finish. It's not a goal race, it's a for run race. I don't want it to take too much away from other training so I'll be taking it lap by lap. Still have an idea what time I'd like to do, but, not putting any effort or thought into training for it.

Well, I'm starting it anyway. Not guaranteeing I'll finish. It's not a goal race, it's a for run race. I don't want it to take too much away from other training so I'll be taking it lap by lap. Still have an idea what time I'd like to do, but, not putting any effort or thought into training for it.

Realised yesterday that we'll probably be away for the Howth to Bray run so tried to get an entry for Donadea. Tis all booked out though with a cancellation list of about 15 people. Will have to come up with a different mental LLSR on another day now.

You should just go for it now that you're feeling better. It could go really well for you!:)

Saturday 14th January
    18.19 @ 9:10
    Met up with a big boardsie crew for this one. It was a pretty crisp morning but perfect for a long run. Was a bit nervous as 18 miles (to me) indicates training that it very close to marathon peak - and I'm only only on week 3 of 14 weeks training for Conn. Anyway, put the negative thoughts to the back of my head and just went with it. Looped back by the cars after 6 miles to pick up/drop off some people and had half a gel and some water. Didn't hugely need it but figured better safe than sorry. Knees were a bit iffy starting off again but they warmed up pretty quickly. That lingering stitch started to kick in at about 10 miles so had to quit the talking and concentrate on the breathing. It shot me at about 12 miles and had to stop for a few breaths. Back by the cars for a couple of sips of lucozade (and a single of chips for digger!) and off we went again. It's been advised that the stitch could possible be a trapped stomach musle that isn't getting enough oxygen so I'll try and work it out and maybe look into it further during the week (it's still there). Anyway, by 16/17 miles, I was shattered - had loads of knots in my tummy muscles, heavy legs and an almighty hunger. Managed the 18 though - while it wasn't a bad run, it was definitely a tough one.

14 to do this afternoon out in Clontarf - it'll be interesting to see how the legs hold up; they've felt better, they've felt worse... (stiches making themselves known but I think I should be able to concentrate on holding form and not giving into them - it'll be a quiet one for me though). We shall see...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Fantastic running and a great pace too.
    No bother to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Great running all right, but seems a bit fast? What are you thinking of for the race, 9 minute pace?

Realised yesterday that we'll probably be away for the Howth to Bray run so tried to get an entry for Donadea. Tis all booked out though with a cancellation list of about 15 people. Will have to come up with a different mental LLSR on another day now.

Sure you don't need to do a mad big group run. Why not run from home out to Howth and back home again, go along the coast in one direction and a bit further inland in whatever direction the wind is in your face so you're more sheltered. :pac: That would bring you to about 30 miles? Head out early on a Sunday morning(to avoid those pesky cars stopping you crossing roads) via Nortumberland Road, through IFSC, Fariview etc and home via the coast?

Still say you don't even need a 30 mile run, the couple of back to backs are more than enough but it's up to you guys. 30 mile run is unecessary for a successful Connemara.
    You should just go for it now that you're feeling better. It could go really well for you!:)

I've got all the ultra crazies out of my head now. We'll be having none of that. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Still say you don't even need a 30 mile run, the couple of back to backs are more than enough but it's up to you guys. 30 mile run is unecessary for a successful Connemara.

I agree with this, no real need to force a 30 mile run if it doesn't suit. Out of a big group/race environment it could be really boring and dent your confidence ifit doesn't go well. Back to back runs would be fine, another idea would be to find a suitable Marathon and just run it nice and easy as an LSR.

Nice running today again by the way. I told you it would be no bother. I assume the 7 back downwind went well?

P.S. The 'hill' was nowhere near as bad as Frank was making it out to be. The one we did up the back of Ballycullen was steeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

In fairness i told you what the incline was and i said it would only trouble you if you tried to go up it at marathon pace. All the same though 4 or 5 reps up it does the trick.
    Orna take a nice couple of days easy now, great running the last couple of days:D

• Advertisement

RayCun wrote: »
    Great running all right, but seems a bit fast? What are you thinking of for the race, 9 minute pace?

Absolutely no idea just yet… I’ve agreed in principle to move the goalposts from 6.29:59 to 6.19:59, but that needs a bit of thought and a re-assessment after another 4 weeks training. It probably was a bit fast alright but it just happened…wasn’t watching the pace at all throughout.
    Sure you don't need to do a mad big group run. Why not run from home out to Howth and back home again, go along the coast in one direction and a bit further inland in whatever direction the wind is in your face so you're more sheltered. :pac: That would bring you to about 30 miles? Head out early on a Sunday morning(to avoid those pesky cars stopping you crossing roads) via Nortumberland Road, through IFSC, Fariview etc and home via the coast?

I've got all the ultra crazies out of my head now. We'll be having none of that. :D
    menoscemo wrote: »
    I agree with this, no real need to force a 30 mile run if it doesn't suit. Out of a big group/race environment it could be really boring and dent your confidence ifit doesn't go well. Back to back runs would be fine, another idea would be to find a suitable Marathon and just run it nice and easy as an LSR.

Nice running today again by the way. I told you it would be no bother. I assume the 7 back downwind went well?

P.S. The 'hill' was nowhere near as bad as Frank was making it out to be. The one we did up the back of Ballycullen was steeper.

If the back to backs are working out well then that’s fine. It would have been good to get a long one in with a group or in race conditions but will just play it by ear. There aren’t really enough hours in the day or days in the week for a commitment like this one... but sure, we’ll get there.
    Oisin11178 wrote: »
    In fairness i told you what the incline was and i said it would only trouble you if you tried to go up it at marathon pace. All the same though 4 or 5 reps up it does the trick.
    Orna take a nice couple of days easy now, great running the last couple of days:D

I’d be up for an ole repeats session at some stage – maybe on a step back week.

Sunday 15th January
    14 @ 8:50
    (Well if 9:10 pace was too fast, I’ll definitely be getting my knuckles rapped for this one!) Headed out with a smaller crew for this. It was absolutely freezing when we arrived in Clontarf at 1pm, so I had no hope of it getting any warmer at that stage. Thank god I’m a lazy sod and had my hat, gloves and jacket in the car from Saturday. Ran out the coast road for 7 miles and then turned and ran back to the cars. It was pretty windy – I maintain the wind was against us for far more than 50% of the time and we didn’t get even luck with it. But we did get a couple of easier miles for the last couple. The pace went from 9:06 average at halfway, down 8:50 average overall. Good run. Could feel Saturday’s 18 a wee bit in the legs towards the end but not in a debilitating way. The stitch behaved (within reason) as I really made an effort to tense the core and keep it strong. It could be a muscle strain. Need to do some research and self diagnosis on the interweb and come up with a plan of action.

Very happy with that week’s training – gives me 58.15 miles for Ultra Training Week 3 of 14 and my highest weekly ever.

Slight step back this week in that this weekend’s runs are 20 miles & 10 miles respectively. And then only about 30 miles the week after before the Raheny 5mile race (with a very easy few miles that evening if the legs are up to it).

Monday 16th January
    Rest
    Well deserved I think. Hammers and calves are a little DOMSy. Quite simply a good week’s training in the legs and nothing more to worry about.

Great running despite clearing Tesco of their Q1 stock of Roses ;)

Monday 16th January
    Rest
    Well deserved I think. Hammers and calves are a little DOMSy. Quite simply a good week’s training in the legs and nothing more to worry about.

Ice Bath Do It! :cool:

digger2d2 wrote: »
    Great running despite clearing Tesco of their Q1 stock of Roses ;)

Who the hell buys roses in January?! Especially for a fatso with no willpower?! Are you harvesting me so you'll have something to eat when the potato crop fails?? ;)

Ice Bath Do It! :cool:

Trekking home in this weather is ice bath enough for me!! I'm a cold blooded witch at the best of times! :)

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Are you harvesting me

If that's what you kids are calling it these days ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

(Well if 9:10 pace was too fast, I’ll definitely be getting my knuckles rapped for this one!)

ah, I'm sure you're grand, it's just I spent most of last year telling novices to slow down and it's a hard habit to break :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    ah, I'm sure you're grand, it's just I spent most of last year telling novices to slow down and it's a hard habit to break :)

In Fairness, 8:50/mile was an easy conversational pace for CL yesterday. I'm guess MP is quite a bit faster than this at the moment.

I'm a cold blooded witch at the best of times! :)

Indeed :cool::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

menoscemo wrote: »
    In Fairness, 8:50/mile was an easy conversational pace for CL yesterday. I'm guess MP is quite a bit faster than this at the moment.
    Yeah id say somewhere around 8.15 at the moment.

Advertisement