Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yay, finally finished it! Gwyn actually gave me quite a bit of trouble - my low stamina character was no match for his speedy attacks.

But eventually a blitzkrieg of crystal catalyst, strong magic shield and crystal homing soulmass sorted him out. Phew.

Now excuse me while I take a break to play some less soul destroying games. I hear Uncharted 3 is out today :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yay, finally finished it! Gwyn actually gave me quite a bit of trouble - my low stamina character was no match for his speedy attacks.

But eventually a blitzkrieg of crystal catalyst, strong magic shield and crystal homing soulmass sorted him out. Phew.

Now excuse me while I take a break to play some less soul destroying games. I hear Uncharted 3 is out today :D

But you know everything now! NG+ awaits you! :D

Seriously though, I started mine yesterday and blitzed Asylum, Taurus, drake, Gargoyles, capra, Moonlight, Hydra, Sif and Gaping dragon in about an hour. When you know where everything is and have decent equipment.....its a breeze!

I will say that out of all the bosses I've played so far, The gaping dragon seemed to benefit the most from New Game+. The others felt like normal....but he actually killed me. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yeah, I played through the Asylum - owning the Asylum Demon with two shots was hilarious :D

I then ventured back down to New Londo to try and get the last sorcery I needed (resist curse) but didn't have the patience to deal with those darn ghosts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Jesus, even thinking about going through some of those area's again in NG+ is totally putting me off wanting to play it. New Londo can **** right off again, as can Blightown and Tomb of Giants. Will clear it tonight, but will probably not bother with the new game.

Yeah I don't particularly fancy rushing straight into it either.

But it's really pestering me that I have one sorcery left to get, and I couldn't pick it up before Gwyn because you can't buy it after you get the Lordvassal (or maybe you can, but I killed the NPC in a fit of frustration when he just kept repeating the same phrase!). There are some design decisions you really want to kill From for :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭tonydude

Yeah I don't particularly fancy rushing straight into it either.

But it's really pestering me that I have one sorcery left to get, and I couldn't pick it up before Gwyn because you can't buy it after you get the Lordvassal (or maybe you can, but I killed the NPC in a fit of frustration when he just kept repeating the same phrase!). There are some design decisions you really want to kill From for :pac:

IIRC you must give the npc a humanity to get him back to the shrine and then you can get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Lads,

Any idea how to hold a weapon in both hands, the Zweihander for example?

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Lads,

Triangle.

Or - and I'm guessing here - Y.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Lads,

Do you mean wield a weapon two-handed (see above) or duel wield (equip second weapon into the left hand slot)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Polar101

Almost killed the Bell Gargoyles on the first go, just one more hit on each would have been enough.. oh well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Lads,

Y/Triangle but you gotta have it held in your right hand.
    Duel weilding is for true heroes and you just need to equip a weapon in each hand, curved swords and daggers are good for the left hand as you can parry attacks :cool:

Ive been painting cars in forza for a week now :( need to get back to dark Souls quick..... this is easily the best game Ive played since I got orcarina of time for christmas all those years ago. I just didnt have the distractions i have today :D

For the past ages I've been playing Dark Souls on a relatively normal TV and I decided to bring my xbox to my family home and play it on our widescreen one. The difference is phenomenal, not so much in detail/graphics, but the rate of turn and the distance it seems to take now. I need to move the stick more to rotate the camera and distances seem further.

Finally reached Sen's Fortress after pissing around for ages, exploring as many places as possible. Finding it bloody hard though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Is it just Divine weapons that kill the New Londo ghosts and stop the skeletons form respawning? or do Occult weapons do the same?

Got an occult club from a Mimic in Anor Londo (and can revert it to a Divine +5 if needs be) and am going to do either the Catacombs or New Londo next.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

penev10 wrote: »
    Is it just Divine weapons that kill the New Londo ghosts and stop the skeletons form respawning? or do Occult weapons do the same?

Got an occult club from a Mimic in Anor Londo (and can revert it to a Divine +5 if needs be) and am going to do either the Catacombs or New Londo next.

Occult is doing the job for me but divine weapons won't work against the ghosts.

Still haven't found a weapon to kill them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

tok9 wrote: »
    Occult is doing the job for me but divine weapons won't work against the ghosts.

there own weapon, or inflict yerself with the curse spell thing(buy it) and you kill them with anyhting

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

If I remember correctly, you don't get the Ghost weapons until the end of the ghost section of New Londo, which is absurd (especially since they're rather underpowered) :pac: But yeah, stocking up on Transient Curse is the handiest way through that. Buy a few from the merchant in the sewers, and if you have a good drop rate you'll collect more as you go along.

The best advice I heard too late: don't bother with the place unless you've got the Lordvassal / are inflicted with curse. Just a big headache and no souls for your trouble :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

If I remember correctly, you don't get the Ghost weapons until the end of the ghost section of New Londo, which is absurd (especially since they're rather underpowered) :pac: But yeah, stocking up on Transient Curse is the handiest way through that. Buy a few from the merchant in the sewers, and if you have a good drop rate you'll collect more as you go along.

The best advice I heard too late: don't bother with the place unless you've got the Lordvassal / are inflicted with curse. Just a big headache and no souls for your trouble :(

Well I have the Lordvessel, no idea if I have transcient curse but i don't like the sound of making myself cursed. I've gone through the majority of the game without getting cursed yet!

Last I played, I was taking on Nito.. I din't have much health but he seems harder then the comments I've seen on him. Then again i don't know his pattern. Its a pain the distance from the bonfire to where he is. :(

Well I have the Lordvessel, no idea if I have transcient curse but i don't like the sound of making myself cursed. I've gone through the majority of the game without getting cursed yet!

Last I played, I was taking on Nito.. I din't have much health but he seems harder then the comments I've seen on him. Then again i don't know his pattern. Its a pain the distance from the bonfire to where he is. :(
    just lets you hit ghosts nothing to your health

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

The transient curse is not that kind of curse. It lasts 5 minutes for you to kill ghosts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Da Bounca wrote: »
    1. PVE Changes:
    2. Overall increase in souls gained (~2-2.5 times more)
    3. Damage reduced on some mobs?
    4. HP lowered on some mobs?
    5. Reduced acquisition range on normal enemies.
    6. Supposedly reduced poise on some enemies.
    7. Bosses drop Humanity and Homeward Bones
    8. Ghosts and Skeletons give souls now.

Major difficulty decrease or what? Twice as many souls and weaker enemies! Very surprised.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I'm realllllllll tempted to buy this :)

Plenty of 'nerfing' alongside the difficulty decreases though. Some of my favourites are being toned down :(

Still, at least we can arrogantly mock latecomers for playing on 'easy mode'!

I'm realllllllll tempted to buy this :)
    Get it lad you wont regret it

Theres a bonfire along the cliff edge before the slope leading down onto the ladder around where big dog skeletons are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Congratulations to from software Dark Souls has reached 1.5 million sales

I expect or shall i say (WE) expect lots of more games in the series

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2011/11/02/dark-souls-ships-1-5-million/

Plenty of 'nerfing' alongside the difficulty decreases though. Some of my favourites are being toned down :(

Still, at least we can arrogantly mock latecomers for playing on 'easy mode'!
    I shall mock ye all as I'll only play this offline, I want to go insane with difficulty!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

The 2 archer black knights in anor lando now shoot flowers at you instead of harpoons.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,442 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I shall mock ye all as I'll only play this offline, I want to go insane with difficulty!

I've played this up to Blighttown 100% offline so far and it hasn't been anything too insanely taxing.

I'm hoping the difficulty seriously ramps up. If anything, to give me an excuse to buy that 360 wireless adapter I've been putting off for years. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I realise the patch notes are not complete.....but I'm concerned about the lack of new scaling information. The Dragon greatsword is the only one with an info.....and that increase is small.

A 5% decrease to lightning won't cut it. Str and Dex builds are only viable if we see alot more A and B scaling on weapons. There is no point in investing 50+ points in STR if the big weapons have D scaling or don't scale at all.

Im hoping to see big improvements in this area.

Advertisement