Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"It's what you do next that counts"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

On last Sundays run I started to fade badly even though we were running quite slow.
    Now I know why I woke up Monday with a case of man flu and a dodgy throat/voice, all my muscles were pretty sore.
    So given that it was to be a week of ossing I decided to take a few days off, so as to make sure I'm a 100% for the start of the schedule next week.

Went for a run around the track last night and got a few pointers from a sprinter (10.8 back in his prime) on strides, we decided to have a race at the end :D he whipped me badly.

Still feeling a bit crap today so another day off and I'll do my 5x1k fitness test on Saturday before starting the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

So have you a weekly schedule mapped out yet?
    I can tell I'll be popping in here lots to keep updated on the progress as I'll be looking to concentrate on shorter speedwork leading into the New Year before upping the mileage again.

What I'm trying to say is can you report in a way that will allow others to compare sessions and feedback over the Winter months? Now that everyone elses marathon plans will be coming to an end shortly I need some other reference point for my sessions!!:D

belcarra wrote: »

What I'm trying to say is can you report in a way that will allow others to compare sessions and feedback over the Winter months? Now that everyone elses marathon plans will be coming to an end shortly I need some other reference point for my sessions!!:D

:D
    I decided to follow a marathon schedule for a half but I will be doing a faster session each week that I'll probably rob from Daniels.

I do like the 5x1k I started doing them over the summer and there a good reference point to how my improvement is going hopefully do them every 3 weeks or so. I was comparing splits and heart rate and you could see the fitness levels getting better.

You could do a krusty and recover first and then give a 10km program a lash using the mcmillan workouts.

You doing the Waterford half?

Woddle wrote: »
    28/4/2011
    1. 4'08, AHR 174
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'15, AHR 181
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'18, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 184

5k in 21'14 (4'15 per k average), AHR 180, max HR 193

28/6/2011
    1. 3'58, AHR 167
    recovery 2'30
    2. 3'57, AHR 173
    recovery 2'30
    3. 3'59, AHR 175
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'01, AHR 177
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'04, AHR 177

5k in 20'00 (4'00 per k average), AHR 173, max HR 187

Just dig these out for when I do it but you can see they show your improvement and are also a good session.
    I'm very curious to see where I am now, hopefully somewhere in the middle to better :D

^^^^
    Well the good news is... I'm somewhere in the middle and for the first time ever I was looking forward to it, no butterflies.
    I realised half way through the first one that I had average lap selected instead of average pace so my warm up split was being included in the calculations and this is what caused me to run the first one too fast.
    But I did start thinking along the lines of ...maybe I havn't lost any fitness that felt good.This feeling continued on the second (I fixed the watch) but the wheels started coming off on the 3rd and there was no hiding the fact that yes I have lost a bit of fitness.
    Another positive was mentally I was very strong there was never a case of not finishing the 5.

15/10/2011
    1. 3'55, AHR 179
    recovery 2'30
    2. 4'01, AHR 182
    recovery 2'30
    3. 4'10, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    4. 4'20, AHR 183
    recovery 2'30
    5. 4'15, AHR 184

5k in 20'43 (4'09 per k average), AHR 182, max HR 193

Really looking forward to monday and starting the schedule... bring it on

• Advertisement

Plan for the week

Mon - 4.5 miles at recovery pace
    Tue - 7 miles at general aerobic pace with strides
    Wed - 4.5 miles at recovery pace
    Thu - 8 miles at general aerobic pace
    Fri - Day off
    Sat - 5 miles at recovery pace
    Sun - 11 miles at LSR pace

As has been said I'm following P&D 24 week up to 55 miles.
    It's been a while since I've read P&D but a quick glance and I'm guessing the pace for each run should be

Recovery = 70-75% of max heart rate which should be 9:15-9:45
    LSR = 73-83% of max heart rate which should be 8:45-9:15
    General aerobic = 80-85% of max heart rate which should be 8:15-8:45

The paces above are all probably a little on the slow side as I reckon LT is about 7:10ish which is 90% but it's the endurance phase so I don't need to worry too much.

Any thoughts on the above from P&D enthusiasts would be very welcome.
    Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I think that GA runs should be run at the same pace as the long run. It doesn't seem to be defined in Advanced Marathoning, but the schedules in Road Running for Serious Runners had more information. I'll have a look tomorrow if I get time...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I would get to caught up with the pace, you have a good idea yourself and if you can be consistant and get your 50 mile weeks done you'll run a good half when the time comes. But the paces you have seem about right.

Cheers lads.

Bed at 9:30 last night and had a great sleep, so no problems getting up at 5:30 this morning.
    A little bit nippy this morning complemented with a bit of wind.

4.6 miles at 9:30 pace, AHR was 146 (73% of max)

Schedule calls for 7 miles with 10xstrides.
    So I got up a little earlier 5:20am and was glad I found my running tights last night. Started by running up Stocking lane and within half a mile I realised my garmin has turned off so I quickly fixed it as I run. I know every mile marker on this route so I just hit the lap button at mile 1 and the garmin shows 0.85 miles so I only lost about 200 meters.
    Very windy at the start of this run but I felt good and seemed to be cutting through the wind with ease.
    General aerobic for me I think is about 160-170 bpm and I averaged 166 so not bad. I did die a little in the last mile but it was uphill and into a headwind.

7 miles at 8'25 pace, AHR 166
    0.6 miles worth of strides. I was in need of the toilet while doing these and nearly gave up after 2 then 4 then 6 but I finished the 10.

• Advertisement

Didn't want to get out of bed this morning. I was feeling very tired but still managed it. For the future though I might make Wednesdays a treadmill day and do it when the baby goes back for her mid morning nap.

4.5 miles this morning at 9:40 pace, AHR 145 (72% of max)

No problems at all getting up this morning, alarm went off for about half a second and I was up raring to go.
    8 miles at 8'35 pace, AHR 163 (81% of max)
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/122964703

I had downloaded the latest marathon talk episode but turned it off after 5 mins, enough said. Thankfully I had a few episodes of George Hooks movie slot to catch up with.

Garmin only went once this morning

5.12 miles at 9:35 pace, AHR 147 (73% of max)

I've a very busy weekend ahead so my medium long run was going to have to be done this morning and no lie in as I had to be back for 8:30 as my wife is having her hair done at 9:00.
    I decided to head for the hills and I was glad I did, the view of the city lights was fantastic and as the sun rose it created a kind of magical pink atmosphere. This without doubt is still my favourite route.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123334083
    11 miles at 9:10 pace, AHR 157 (78% of max)

I'm delighted with how the week has gone, for the first time ever :eek: (seriously)I actually did exactly what the schedule told me, no cutting miles, no extra miles and no faster miles.
    41 miles for the week which sadly is my highest weekly total for the year but time to get a grip aswell as it's only week 1 :D

I enjoyed having today off so I'm going to repeat that for next week.
    Plan for the following week.

Mon - 4.5 miles at recovery pace
    Tue - 8 miles at general aerobic pace plus strides
    Wed - 4.5 miles at recovery pace
    Thu - 9 miles at general aerobic pace
    Fri - 5 miles at recovery pace
    Sat - 12 miles at LSR pace
    Sun - Rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

I've a very busy weekend ahead so my medium long run was going to have to be done this morning and no lie in as I had to be back for 8:30 as my wife is having her hair done at 9:00.
    I decided to head for the hills and I was glad I did, the view of the city lights was fantastic and as the sun rose it created a kind of magical pink atmosphere. This without doubt is still my favourite route.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123334083
    11 miles at 9:10 pace, AHR 157 (78% of max)

I'm delighted with how the week has gone, for the first time ever :eek: (seriously)I actually did exactly what the schedule told me, no cutting miles, no extra miles and no faster miles.
    41 miles for the week which sadly is my highest weekly total for the year but time to get a grip aswell as it's only week 1 :D

I like reading that :)

shels4ever wrote: »
    I like reading that :)

I think I'm finally showing signs of maturing :p and doing what I'm told.

4.6 miles at 8:38 pace. I didn't wear my heart rate monitor but it felt easy.

Everywhere was flooded so I just embraced it and stomped through every puddle. I'm glad I wore an old pair of runners though.

Alarm went off at 5:20 this morning and I leapt out of the bed, was really looking forward to it, a quick glance out the window to make sure the floods had subsided and they had. Great.
    I headed up Stocking lane before going down Stocking wood and as you look to your right you can see where the travellers live and there was a little yappy dog barking away at me running on a parallel road that would soon merge, so I sped up as to avoid him and a SJ type situation. Avoid him I had but he was still barking at me so I looked back, turns out he was giving me the heads up, he was telling me his mate a horse of a dog was coming for me. I ran like never before. The legs were starting to hurt and I thought about turning around and stopping and trying to scare him but as I looked back he was even bigger than I first thought so I kept going, a few seconds later and another glance back and he had stopped. I don't know how I didn't **** myself and I was still very shaken by the whole thing as I finished my run. Is this yet another route I have to avoid?
    Check out my pace at the start of mile 2 and the jump in heart rate, I was on mile world record pace :D
    I have to say if dogs ever became extinct I wouldn't miss them.

http://connect.garmin.com/splits/124174855

8 miles at 8:35 pace, AHR 160 (80% of max)
    followed by 10x 80 meter strides

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Best pace 3.36? Nice :pac:

• Advertisement

I didn't get to bed till late last night, playing on amazon.
    So I postponed my run to this afternoon and got out for
    4.75 at 9:17 pace, AHR 148 (74%)

A funny run this as the pace seemed a little on the quick side for a recovery run but heart rate stayed low. My legs were not happy, very tired and achy. Similar to last Wednesday, I blame the strides.
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124463105

9 miles this morning at 8:35 pace, AHR 161 (80% 0f max)
    I enjoyed most of this run, not so much mile 8 with a couple of climbs.
    Legs felt much better probably as a result of a good foam rolling session last night.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124568453
    Stupid garmin acted up at the start of my run but again I know where all the mile markers are so I just hit the lap button. I lost 0.1 :D

Beautiful morning for a run.
    4 miles worth of recovery at 9:33 pace, AHR 144 (72% of max)
    Just a long one tomorrow to wrap up another good week.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/124924016
    12 miles at 9:20 pace, AHR 164

Heart rate was too high for this type of run but with a combination of wind and a very hilly route it was to be expected.
    I didn't like this run at all and the last couple of miles felt like the end of my twenty milers back in the day. I probably should have eaten sth beforehand as I feel much better now post brekky.
    42.8 miles for the week and it's been another good one. One more hard week now and it should be a good one also as my wife is off work for the midterm so no need to get up at 5:20am.

Now to check on the camera and get it ready for Monday, I'll be at the top of Milltown again so keep an eye out.

After a less than enjoyable run yesterday I got out with Emily for a two miler around marlay park. Lovely morning with lovely company. Lots of runners out giving the nod and one guy paid her a compliment, she was chuffed.
    2 miles at 11:00 pace, AHR 135 (67% of max)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

After a less than enjoyable run yesterday I got out with Emily for a two miler around marlay park. Lovely morning with lovely company. Lots of runners out giving the nod and one guy paid her a compliment, she was chuffed.
    2 miles at 11:00 pace, AHR 135 (67% of max)
    46 ;)

46 ;)

I was curious to see when I last beat that total and you have to go back to December 2009 :eek:

Monday was just 4.5 miles worth of recovery running at 9:10 pace, AHR 149 (74% of max)

Today was an 8 miler and I was to run 4 at an average heart rate of 170. I have a perfect mile loop just around the corner, first half slightly uphill but you don't notice it and then the second half is downhill which you do notice.

2.2 miles to warm up
    4 miles at 8:00 pace, AHR 171 so close :D
    2 mile cool down which included 3x20 second strides at mile pace
    http://connect.garmin.com/splits/125765844

I wasn't feeling a 100% today, bit of a headache and sinus issues but I looked at the weather for Thursday, not great so just thought fcuk it.
    I thought my pace for the 4 miles would have been a bit quicker but not too bothered, I'm sure I'll be doing this again.
    On a good note, my legs felt great, my quads had been a bit sore since Saturdays long run, I could feel little tremors in them walking down the stairs and stuff but perfect today.

• Advertisement

4.75 miles worth of recovery this morning, pace 9:22, AHR 145 (72% of max)
    Nice run even with the wind.

Advertisement