Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your unpopular music opinions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

raxor wrote: »
    Most metal sucks absolute donkey balls.

Seriously, it's sh1t beyond belief.

Some stuff by Metallica is tolerable.

But I agree with the notion that a lot of metal bands have a tendency to play fast and the fans believe faster means better.

This is just plain stupid. When Noel Gallagher's solo album comes out a lot of people will see that you don't have to be an absolute stadium killer with the guitar to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

karaokeman wrote: »
    Some stuff by Metallica is tolerable.

But I agree with the notion that a lot of metal bands have a tendency to play fast and the fans believe faster means better.

This is just plain stupid. When Noel Gallagher's solo album comes out a lot of people will see that you don't have to be an absolute stadium killer with the guitar to be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

ha i used to hate dubstep so muh. But now it's all i listen to. Guess it kind of just grows on you.. I went from rock to dubstep lol

Same here, and from dubstep to all branches of electro.. All my mates are still metal heads and hate when I select music.. although a few are starting to like some dubstep...

El Pr0n wrote: »

Er, I don't know exactly why I posted this at 3:22, but I'm sure my reasoning at the time was sound. Maybe because I spent the whole night shouting at my mates about how good it is... :o

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

No music out there just Tantrums.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Friday" is a fecking catchy tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 graw123

oh The Beatles are amazing!

graw123 wrote: »
    oh The Beatles are amazing!

Very, very, very, very, very, catestrophically phenomenally popular opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

paddyandy wrote: »
    No music out there just Tantrums.
    You haven't really looked have you?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭dasdog

Instrumental music is better than music with vocals
    African american music forms the core of what white western people like but it's packaged differently
    "Bands" are a fvking joke, 3-5 glory hunting semi talented **** and PR machines
    12 notes, an intro, bar, bridge and chorus leads to repeat after repeat and yet it's still sold

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭AhSureTisGrand

dasdog wrote: »
    African american music forms the core of what white western people like but it's packaged differently
    12 notes, an intro, bar, bridge and chorus leads to repeat after repeat and yet it's still sold

Forgive me if I'm wrong but 12 notes is a full chromatic scale leaving out the top bit. That's a lot of notes. You'd have to go Chinese or something to get more notes than that

Forgive me if I'm wrong but 12 notes is a full chromatic scale leaving out the top bit. That's a lot of notes. You'd have to go Chinese or something to get more notes than that

Microtonal scales were always big in Eastern music, but also in 20th century classical stuff too, though it caught on pretty late there. Check out this guy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Partch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

I don't think If You're Feeling Sinister is Belle and Sebastian's best album, Tigermilk and The Boy With The Arab Strap are better in my opinion.

===============================================================
    dasdog wrote: »
    That's more down to personal taste though, wouldn't say instrumental music is either better or worse than music with vocals. I enjoy some instrumental music myself such as instrumental post-rock, ambient and electronic music.

No not all bands are 3-5 glory hunting semi talented **** and PR machines, in fact most bands aren't, just the ones in the charts that you hear the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

biko wrote: »
    "Friday" is a fecking catchy tune.

I hope and pray to the great spaghetti monster in the sky that you mean this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA_NdaedMGk

**Vai** wrote: »
    I hope and pray to the great spaghetti monster in the sky that you mean this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA_NdaedMGk

Nobody said anything about it being good, just catch. Which it is.

Nobody said anything about it being good, just catch. Which it is.

Oops, hit a nerve there.

It may be catchy but its utter, utter scour. The **** outweighs the catchy. Sometimes the music world makes me sad.

My apologies to the obviously growing Rebecca whatever her name is fanclub.

Oops, hit a nerve there.

It may be catchy but its utter, utter scour. The **** outweighs the catchy. Sometimes the music world makes me sad.

My apologies to the obviously growing Rebecca whatever her name is fanclub.

Jaysus, you didn't hit any nerve, would you get off your high horse? You annoyed me because you're being ignorant on purpose (if you've got 500 odd posts in music forums I'm guessing you know the difference between catchy and quality - no? Maybe you're just ignorant then.) A good song doesn't have to be a catchy songs and a catchy song doesn't have to be good. It's got ****ing hooks in it, like a zillion Blink 182 songs that get stuck in my head every time I hear them on the radio or an iPod on the train or whatever. I don't like them, they're not sophisticated songs or examples off well-developed music, but they're catchy, and that's what the poster was talking about.

Nobody said anything about being a fan of Rebecca Black, and nobody said anything about Friday being a good or bad song. But you don't seem to care about what people actually said!

Hehehe I thought that might happen. My first post was meant to be humourous. Obviously you didnt take it like that. You may have been in a bad mood or something, I dont care. My first thought when I see a song called Friday is the movie and Ice Cube tune, the other one to me, is neither catchy nor music. I do apologise if that seems like Im on a high horse. I also dont listen to Blink 182 or anything even remotely like it.

Most of my posts arent on the music forums but I have been listening to music and playing guitar for around 18 years now so its definitely not ignorance. Your need to defend a random poster against what you thought was my ignorance should be something you think about though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

Arctic Monkeys write some decent lyrics, but a lot of downright awful lyrics too.

Beady Eye are disgracefully awful.

Every time someone remarks about Eminem's lyrical ability, I cringe. If he's a genius, then bloody hell, so am I.

The Smiths are the most important band of the last 30 years.

I quite like Katy Perry's music and I can't explain why.

I think the Second Coming is under-rated.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Can'tseeme

St.Spodo wrote: »
    Arctic Monkeys write some decent lyrics, but a lot of downright awful lyrics too.

Beady Eye are disgracefully awful.

Every time someone remarks about Eminem's lyrical ability, I cringe. If he's a genius, then bloody hell, so am I.

The Smiths are the most important band of the last 30 years.

I quite like Katy Perry's music and I can't explain why.

I think the Second Coming is under-rated.

Totally agree about the Second Coming. Can't understand why it got the abuse it did. I'd probably listen to it more than the 1st Stone Roses album.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There's some controversial opinions here. not

Beady Eye not a good band? Dubstep not a good genre of music? Opinions like those are definitely unpopular. not

Hehehe I thought that might happen. My first post was meant to be humourous. Obviously you didnt take it like that. You may have been in a bad mood or something, I dont care. My first thought when I see a song called Friday is the movie and Ice Cube tune, the other one to me, is neither catchy nor music. I do apologise if that seems like Im on a high horse. I also dont listen to Blink 182 or anything even remotely like it.

Friday has millions upon millions of YouTube hits, I don't know how many downloads, it gets played in nightclubs and people will sing along, it gets sung by hammered people on their way home, etc.... Songs don't get that exposure or that kind of audience without being catchy. Everything else about music is subjective, but I don't reckon this is. Quality pop songs, regardless of musical quality, can be judged as 'yes' or 'no'. And Friday is ****ing catchy.
    Most of my posts arent on the music forums but I have been listening to music and playing guitar for around 18 years now so its definitely not ignorance. Your need to defend a random poster against what you thought was my ignorance should be something you think about though.

I'm sure you're a fantastic guitar player - if your username is an indication, I'd bet you can move your fingers very quickly - but that doesn't have anything to do with being musically ignorant. You're ignoring so much music by writing off things as "neither catchy nor music", you're ignoring any sort of proper musical argument with things like "It may be catchy but it's utter, utter scour. The **** outweighs the catchy." Why is it scour? Why is it ****? You're not saying anything about music here, which would lead me to believe you're completely ignorant about a lot of music, if you can't talk about a teen pop song on musical terms.

And that last sentence you wrote, there's that high horse again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

There's some controversial opinions here. not

Beady Eye not a good band? Dubstep not a good genre of music? Opinions like those are definitely unpopular. not

They are opinions though. Just that. EDIT: Cnut. Ya got me :v

I have never listened to Beady Eye, but given it's been set up by one of the Oasis brothers, I have no interest in hearing them.

Dubstep (or Brostep, the American bastardisation) is ****.

Dubstep (the original British sound, which changes year on year, has hundreds of producers) now thrown in under the UK Bass umbrella, is brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I find Johnny Cash to be quite boring, even though he's a cult hero. Country and western is awful and anyone who claims to be a huge fan of his who is under 60 is lying. Just because he covered some contemporary tunes doesn't really mean anything, it just puts him on a par with Mike Flowers Pops.

Friday has millions upon millions of YouTube hits, I don't know how many downloads, it gets played in nightclubs and people will sing along, it gets sung by hammered people on their way home, etc.... Songs don't get that exposure or that kind of audience without being catchy. Everything else about music is subjective, but I don't reckon this is. Quality pop songs, regardless of musical quality, can be judged as 'yes' or 'no'. And Friday is ****ing catchy.

You're wrong, of course catchiness is subjective. Granted its probably catchy, if you listen to it more than once. I wouldnt. Coz its ****. Now that not me being closed minded, I listen to almost everything, that is my opinion. Ive heard it, Ive had my little inner monologue and came to the conclusion that it is not worthy of being in my head.

I'm sure you're a fantastic guitar player.

Not particularly. Even if I was I wouldnt claim to be.
    - if your username is an indication, I'd bet you can move your fingers very quickly - but that doesn't have anything to do with being musically ignorant. You're ignoring so much music by writing off things as "neither catchy nor music", you're ignoring any sort of proper musical argument with things like "It may be catchy but it's utter, utter scour. The **** outweighs the catchy." Why is it scour? Why is it ****? You're not saying anything about music here, which would lead me to believe you're completely ignorant about a lot of music, if you can't talk about a teen pop song on musical terms..

You on the other hand are assuming you know anything about me or what I listen to and then telling me all about the virtues of this utter tripe. Far as Im concerned it iosnt catchy or music, its a soulless piece of excrement that came from some stupid teenage girls head, if you think thats music, I cant help you. I am in no way ignorant about any form of music but Im not gonna listen to Friday because I could listen to a million better, catchier songs which have actual musical talent in them. Im not sure you know the difference. In musical terms, I mean real music now, its not worth discussing and anyone who thinks it is should have their head examined. Fair enough if the OP thought it was catchy but you are taking this to a new level because you need to be right. Even when you are clearly wrong.
    And that last sentence you wrote, there's that high horse again.

From down there, it must seem like everyone is on a high horse.

For the record, I have no issue with people listening to any kind of music, what I take issue with is guys like you coming on here and telling me what my opinion should be.

You're wrong, of course catchiness is subjective. Granted its probably catchy, if you listen to it more than once. I wouldnt. Coz its ****. Now that not me being closed minded, I listen to almost everything, that is my opinion. Ive heard it, Ive had my little inner monologue and came to the conclusion that it is not worthy of being in my head.

You're getting defensive about me 'telling you what your opinions should be', but you're telling me outright "You're wrong" on my opinions? Stick to one angle. So it's my opinion that catchiness isn't subjective, if we don't agree there, fair enough, there isn't any argument to be had.

And I wasn't trying to 'tell you what your opinions should be', but I read over my posts and it came across as that, sorry about that. That's not what this is about.
    You on the other hand are assuming you know anything about me or what I listen to and then telling me all about the virtues of this utter tripe.

I'm not telling you about the virtues of utter tripe, the point I'm trying to make is that ALL music has value. What value does Friday have? It captured the attention of the entire ****ing world, how many other people can do that?
    Far as Im concerned it iosnt catchy or music, its a soulless piece of excrement that came from some stupid teenage girls head, if you think thats music, I cant help you. I am in no way ignorant about any form of music but Im not gonna listen to Friday because I could listen to a million better, catchier songs which have actual musical talent in them. Im not sure you know the difference. In musical terms, I mean real music now, its not worth discussing and anyone who thinks it is should have their head examined. Fair enough if the OP thought it was catchy but you are taking this to a new level because you need to be right. Even when you are clearly wrong.

How can anybody ever say "I am in no way ignorant about any form of music"?? You know about every type of music in the world, really?

And if you knew that much about music, wouldn't you know enough to recognise 3 minutes of organised pitch and rhythm as 'music'? 'Cause I don't see how you can think a pop song isn't music.

Why isn't it worth discussing? The crux of my argument is that EVERYTHING is worth discussing.

And you're getting sore with me for assuming things about you, and at the same time you're telling me I don't know the difference between utter tripe and real talented music? I haven't said anything about my own taste of music in this whole argument, how do you know what I know about music?

And as a last point, are you saying that it doesn't take talent to write a song that gets the entire world talking about it? Why isn't everyone writing songs that do that then?

CiaranMT wrote: »
    I have never listened to Beady Eye, but given it's been set up by one of the Oasis brothers, I have no interest in hearing them.

You really don't know what you're missing.

Beady Eye are more than just set up by one of the Oasis brothers (Liam). They are actually all of Oasis except for Noel, but Noel's new band could be defined by that phrase I underlined.

I'll tell you this much Beady Eye are a lot more Beatley than old Oasis. There are also some more upbeat tunes that may help them to eventually sell stadiums like Four Letter Word.

Bit there for everyone but they're quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

i think led zeppelin are ****e does that make me a bad person?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

I never fail to be amazed at what people will like in Music and other things.

Advertisement