Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Anglers Rest - A plaice :-) for fishy tales - it was HOW big !!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Fished Boyne today, had ten fish, biggest 4lb, unreal fishing. really enjoyed it. any fly was working, black did most damage. all bar one returned to fight another day.

283916_1675443904835_1799585862_1088133_1101527_n.jpg

ps think this lad could be a sea trout
    I would say it is definitely a brownie. The marking on the outer ray of the anal fin is a brownie hallmark.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

fisherking wrote: »
    Not suprised
    Have had some good fish on the liffey late late late...its so low...! Give us a guestimate.....

thehamo wrote: »
    hooked and lost what felt like probably the biggest wild brownie ive ever had on the line on the liffey. I was heart broken he was putting up a great fight. Im going to have to learn how to play a fish properly I think. im sure I was a lot to blame for loosing it. the frustration!

Hmmm not sure. But I've fought 5lb rainbows on curragh springs and this lad fought every bit as hard. Given it's a wild fish that would fight harder il throw a 2lb guestimate his way

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

lough ree again 2moro, trolling for trout, hoping for a better day than last week, but nice to get up the lake anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭diarmuid79

trolling is not fishing sorry:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

how do you make that out

• Advertisement

diarmuid79 wrote: »
    EXPLAIN??????????? :rolleyes:...well i got 3 trout "not fishing"...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,061 ✭✭✭damagegt

Went out this evening to try for a few bass.I was out about an hour and decided to move up the rocks.The tide was 2 hours after the high turn and was still hitting the rocks.I just turned and nearly stood on a large trigger fish that had washed in.I thought he was dead at first as he was dry on one side.I picked him up and I could see some slight movement in his tail.I spent the next 10-15 with him in the water but I didn't get anything from him but a few small twitches.I took him out and took some pictures(ill up load them later).

I threw him back in the water and the knock of him hitting the water seemed to wake him and he stuttered back to where I was.I spent another few mins with him in the water and he got a new lease for life and seemed fighting fit when he finally swam off.

What a stunning fish.I used to have a small trigger in my fish tank but nothing like this.He was as big as a dinner plate and weighed 2lbs 6 ozs with stunning markings and bright colours.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

So no Bass then?

Nope,just a mackerel (my first of the whole season) and 2 pollock.Ill be heading out this evening and ill see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

diarmuid79 wrote: »

Looks like your the one that's trolling

• Advertisement

had a few hrs yesterday evening at cloghan fishery, 2 trout landed both brownies best was 2lb, lost 1 rainbow and missed 2 or 3 :)....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

How the heck would you land a big fish from there? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I guess they dont practice catch and release.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

You reel them up I've caught scad and mackerel of these rocks, all for my on consumption 2-4 at a time and the taste good!!. I've seen locals heading off with bag full of mackerel, put they where complaining this week end that the numbers are way down.

Lovely photos btw

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Went beach fishing in Garretstown beach just outside Kinsale in Cork, being a novice fisherman I was fully expecting to catch f*ck all but the night wasn't too bad and felt I got a bit of experience. We started fishing at around 8:30pm as the tide began to come in and fished on until around 1am as it was going out. My buddy was fishing for bass with a gripper lead, single hook tipped with a variety of baits such as fresh lug, razor, ragworm, mackerel and sandeel while I was trying to get flatties on a rolling lead using the same bait as above.

Just before high tide my buddy got a small doggy which took eel/mackerel bait whereupon he switched to razor-clam alone. Soon after he had two major strikes, one pulling the rod off the rest; they were serious takes like and we both think it could be nothing but bass. Twice we lost the fish which is unfortunate but we know what'll work as least. As the tide began to go out I switched to smaller hooks and caught a nice dab on fresh lugworm.

All in all, anyone fishing off Garretstown, they'd be the baits I'd recommend and it was a grand bit of action for the few hours fishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭howsshecuttin

NORTH1 wrote: »

Excellent pic! I'm just back myself from clare, Fished the bluepool for mackeral before, It's very dangerous, Take it easy up there, There's been a couple of death's there so far, I always fish off a cliff at a location called loop head drive, Just go into Kilkee and there's a road off to your left beside the beach, You can't miss it. It's a lot safer and I've noticed the catch is a lot better, I got forty of them today in the space of an hour.

Had a great day on the boat fishing out of Dungarvan today at five in the morning.Four of us had ling,whiting,cookcoos,pollock.macks a few doggies and hit a great little bass in the last hour.We were mile and half of helvick head when we met a small shole of maybe 7-10 dolphins.It was great to see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

• Advertisement

gona try ree 2moro, hope i dont get shot:D

4 brownies:D... 2lb 14oz the best

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Sitting on the beach with the laptop and a lovely warm autumn sun in my face. waiting for the tide to turn and am off out the rocks with rod in hand. :D

A great days fishing was absolutely ruined by midges. I'm eaten alive. Before that tho I had a few mackerel and a nice pollock about 4lbs.

I also had a first....two bass at the same time while feathering. Only bout 1lb or 1lb and a half each but it made my day. They put up an outstanding battle and looked suburb in the sunshine. (both returned alive).

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

hooked what was easily my biggest ever pike on ramor yesterday. fought for a few mins and was getting ready to net when a shake of the head and a flick of the tail left me standing feeling pretty dejected. my excitment was ripped from me. thought i had broken my 20lb duct but it wasnt to be. just wets the appetite even more tho. was easliy 25lb +. :eek:

4 trout yesterday, best 3lb 4oz....... season is near its end now:(, be goin after some pike then in october,and maybe fly fish cloghan

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Nice haul there bayliner, give cloghan a miss and go to Aisling instead, heading there in the morning myself for a few hours of therapy after the week I've had :)

With the final weekend and the final week ahead of us for many for trout and salmon has anyone got plans to get out on the water?

I'm either going to fish Waterville or Killarney next week. Haven't made up my mind yet. Still tho, am well looking forward to it. :)

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    Nice haul there bayliner, give cloghan a miss and go to Aisling instead, heading there in the morning myself for a few hours of therapy after the week I've had :)
    was just in loughree-active shop this morn and got talkin about a trip to aisling one of the days next month:), let me know how you get on? have never fished it, and would be nice change of scenary ,,, tight lines man!:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

It was a tough day, very bright and windy. Landed 1 but had 3 on boobies but they slipped off.... :( Also had great fun with a big pink humungus, drove them bananas, they kept bashing it very agressively. Water is very low at the moment so by mid october, hopefully there will be a lot more rain to get the levels back up.

Advertisement