Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mac Donagh Station Shopping Centre

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

dooferoaks wrote: »
    Theres no-one going to the current cinema
    The sold-out screens on opening and closing nights must be my imagination then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

The current cinema looks pretty busy anytime I go to it. A new cinema won't guarantee better film, it's kind of like saying building more houses will bring back the property bubble.

It seemed very quiet in Dunnes in MDJ during the week, I'd imagine they're bricking Aldi opening on the Hebron soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭linny

maybe dunnes will cut and leave mac donagh junction, and maybe tesco or m&s will move in,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

catbear wrote: »
    A new cinema won't guarantee better film, it's kind of like saying building more houses will bring back the property bubble.
    Not exactly, you can't argue that a lot of the time there is rubbish on in the existing one, and at least if there were more screens they could show more films and hence have more choice for potential customers. I have often heard people say they wouldn't mind going to the cinema but theres nothing on.

I would hope the new one wouldn't be an omniplex either so the distributor disagreement rubbish wouldn't affect it.

To the person who said hardly anyone goes to the existing one - there is always a decent amount of people in there anytime I pass in the evenings, I wouldn't judge it by the 2 o'clock crowd on a Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Ok, just for sake of argument we got a second cinema in MDJ. The main audience in Kilkenny is family. We don't have a third level culture or a large young adult audience. Kilkenny is for the most part good for stag and hen parities at the weekends but the rest of the time its mostly kiddies, teenagers and parents that probably sustain the local cinema turnover.

Over the years there have been subscription film clubs that met the demand for unscreened films but inevitably the demand always lets these efforts down. The ones who set these things clubs end up having kids and guess what, they end up going to see rugrats and then chipmonk movies etc....

Anyway back MDJ, TKmaxx has really cut down on the stock they have on the floor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭Suspiria79

What's the deal about free WI-FI up there? And what kind of speeds are there?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

catbear wrote: »
    The main audience in Kilkenny is family. We don't have a third level culture or a large young adult audience. Kilkenny is for the most part good for stag and hen parities at the weekends but the rest of the time its mostly kiddies, teenagers and parents that probably sustain the local cinema turnover.

Anyway back MDJ, TKmaxx has really cut down on the stock they have on the floor.

I agree with some of what you are saying but I disagree about the family thing, sure, a large chunk of turnover is always going to be families, but you don't see many kids in there in the evenings and weekends, its full of couples and an adult audience!

You are completely right about TK Maxx though, nothing but crap in the mens clothes section for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

I'd say dunnes will close up there, always empty in there, theres no way they can be making money from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

linny wrote: »
    maybe dunnes will cut and leave mac donagh junction, and maybe tesco or m&s will move in,

We can but live in hope,M&S would be ideal for it.
    Tescos should be where the old mart was.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I would love if M&S or H&M, love the clothes from both of them.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement

anyone know whats going into where apollo used to be, seen builders in there the other day fitting it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,388 ✭✭✭✭road_high

anyone know whats going into where apollo used to be, seen builders in there the other day fitting it out?

No idea, but I really loved that shop :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

I'd say dunnes will close up there, always empty in there, theres no way they can be making money from it.
    Not a chance in hell would they do that. They have monopoly over county KK apart from Musgraves and Superquinn both of which are inferior in terms of choice and price. If Tesco or M&S moved in a slice of the whole county's cake would be taken. It's a very clever tactic and widely seen in U.K. There's a number of towns in U.K. that are called Tesco towns. Tesco will buy up any potential supermarket sites just to keep competition out. Inverness comes to mind...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

alan85 wrote: »
    Not a chance in hell would they do that. They have monopoly over county KK apart from Musgraves and Superquinn both of which are inferior in terms of choice and price. If Tesco or M&S moved in a slice of the whole county's cake would be taken. It's a very clever tactic and widely seen in U.K. There's a number of towns in U.K. that are called Tesco towns. Tesco will buy up any potential supermarket sites just to keep competition out. Inverness comes to mind...

If it's incurring enough of a loss they will close though. And McDonogh hardly want the anchor tenant space with a supermarket thats usually empty, they would love tesco or M&S and will do whatever they can to get one in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭alan85

If it's incurring enough of a loss they will close though. And McDonogh hardly want the anchor tenant space with a supermarket thats usually empty, they would love tesco or M&S and will do whatever they can to get one in.
    Doesn't matter if they're making a loss because the monopoly between the two city stores makes up for it overall. Trust me! McD S.C. would love M&S or Tesco for sure but Dunnes won't give up that store even if it is making a loss which I somehow doubt anyways. Of any losses incured by Dunnes it would be greatest if Tesco or M&S did get a piece of the action...

to answer my own question, was in the junction today and seen Sisley has moved to the where applo was, and now there is 3 empty units in a row together maybe the plan is to have one large department store go in there instead

H&M I heard from a friend...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

alan85 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if they're making a loss because the monopoly between the two city stores makes up for it overall. Trust me! McD S.C. would love M&S or Tesco for sure but Dunnes won't give up that store even if it is making a loss which I somehow doubt anyways. Of any losses incured by Dunnes it would be greatest if Tesco or M&S did get a piece of the action...

if it wasnt for people going in and spending a tenner in dunnes for the free 1 hour parking, dunnes would have no sales to speak of!

that would be a good attraction for mac donagh junction, would H&M need 3 units let into one larger shop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Also heard a rumour that the book shop is going out of there, to be replaced by another franchise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Firetrap wrote: »
    Also heard a rumour that the book shop is going out of there, to be replaced by another franchise

Another Bookshop i hope, also what is going in beside Quigleys?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

A friend of mine is currently in training as a manager with
    H&M,
    and she has told me she will be in the new kilkenny shop in Mac Donagh Junction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

mousehouse wrote: »
    A friend of mine is currently in training as a manager with
    H&M,
    and she has told me she will be in the new kilkenny shop in Mac Donagh Junction.

So is HMV getting a second shop or they just moving to a different section of the Junction?

no it's H&M clothes store
    http://www.hm.com/ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

no it's H&M clothes store
    http://www.hm.com/ie/

Sorry about that. It looked like you said HMV instead of H&M. :( Sorry for the mistake.

easy mistake, should be good for shopping centre if/when it opens, anyone know when its due to open ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

I have text her to see if she knows when it is opening. Once I hear I will post on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Mo14

Looks like a bar and grill is going into that back food court bit. Definitely a welcome addition in my eyes.

was down in mac donagh junction yesterday, and seen that the builders are now in doing the H&M shop, looks like 3 units will be made in to one large unit, they have large partition wall build all around where it is going to be, this will be a great addition and a big draw from neighbouring counties for the centre when it opens, shame to see stone house books go but hopefully it will be replaced soon, the court yard bar and grill should be opening soon too,

• Advertisement

Firetrap wrote: »

Eason?

Advertisement