Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drogheda Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

I think that is Garam Masala mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Oh yeah, so it seems. Did they change their name, or are they operating under two names?

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭WindmillWarrior

2 name job I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

gonker wrote: »
    Dont know what Chanco is like but I agree with you about Tangos. Xin the owner has taken time off and he has put a manager in and the service has gone to pot. Would love to be able to contact him to tell him, as he has lost so many customers to:mad: this new system.

Chancos did the same thing as Tangos a year ago and the service went down hill over night :( We used to go there nearly every weekend and all the staff knew us. The food was always lovely, great value, especially the 17.50menu and the service was always up to scratch! Then all of a sudden, Mr. Chan replaced every single member of staff and there was no one to remember who their regular customers were. We went in the night before Mother's Day last year and ended up walking out! We were sitting for about 30mins before anyone took our order, then two tables who came in AFTER us got their food while we were still waiting on our drinks! So we just got up and left and the manager was not even bothered. He asked us where we were going and the OH said it was too slow and not up to scratch and your man just turned and said to another couple waiting on a table that he had a table free! We were disgusted especially as there were nights when we were the only ppl in the place and we still kept going back! Haven't been there since!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

I think that is Garam Masala mate!

It hasn't been called Garam Masala for at least 2 years. It appears to have had 3 different people operating in there in last 5 years. Unless they renamed it back to Garam Masala in the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

Tried the Salthouse over the last couple of weeks, had the scrambled eggs and smoked salmon with nice brown bread and last weekend had a delicious savoury Crepe, chicken,bacon and Mozarella...nice setting as well. Must try it for a meal but as someone else said it might feel a bit cramped when full, nice grub though.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Love the salthouse for daytime food and coffee. Night time, not so much my kind of thing, but the last time I went it was still nice.

I think the new setting for D'vine is great and the expanded menu is so much better. Wines by the glass and beers. Much improved and very reasonable for a very tasty meal.

I found Punjabi house disappointing the last couple of times and have stopped ordering which greatly saddens me as it was one of the favorites :( Don't like garam masala either so will have to go further afield now to Rupee in Bettystown. Bit of a trek though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 fairlyfiery

The Salthouse is fantastic!! Food, staff and value are great! I have been there in the evenings and it's very nice. Menu changes and also tables that get booked are usually 4's or 6's with a few 2's which makes more space when the tables are put together! All the deserts are fab!! ESP the flourless chocolate and the chocolate beetroot cake!! Yuuuuuuum!!! I think the pizzeria is the best Italian in the town and Swan house for chiniese :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

D rog wrote: »
    I found Punjabi house disappointing the last couple of times and have stopped ordering which greatly saddens me as it was one of the favorites :( Don't like garam masala either so will have to go further afield now to Rupee in Bettystown. Bit of a trek though :(
    Exactly the same here re Punjabi House. We've tried Rupee twice and it has been fab both times. If you like hot and spicy I recommend the Achari dish - gorgeous. We've ordered an extra main course both times and stuck it in the freezer to share at a later stage. I reheated it in the wok and it turned out perfectly. It is much better value for money than Indus was.

Got the chicken tikka massala for the kids and they cleared their plates.:D

I have a gift voucher for Punjabi so will order there this weekend no doubt. I hope it's nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭D rog

Posher wrote: »
    Exactly the same here re Punjabi House. We've tried Rupee twice and it has been fab both times. If you like hot and spicy I recommend the Achari dish - gorgeous. We've ordered an extra main course both times and stuck it in the freezer to share at a later stage. I reheated it in the wok and it turned out perfectly. It is much better value for money than Indus was.

Got the chicken tikka massala for the kids and they cleared their plates.:D

I have a gift voucher for Punjabi so will order there this weekend no doubt. I hope it's nice.

Oh will you let us know how Punjabi house goes?
    Glad to hear Rupee is consistently good- will do the trek for a nice indian :) Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

had the chicken tikka masala in punjabi yesterday, delicious :)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I see Relish are set to open a cafe and gourmet foodhall in Southgate. There goes my wallet!

delly wrote: »
    I see Relish are set to open a cafe and gourmet Foodhall in Southgate. There goes my wallet!

It will be great to have somewhere close-by. I saw the ad in yesterday leader. As Southgate is in Meath should this be posted under the Meath reviews? :-)
    I wonder will they try replicate Fallon & Byrne or Avoca.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Mylow wrote: »
    As Southgate is in Meath should this be posted under the Meath reviews? :-)

Maybe, if the thread was called Louth Restaurant Reviews.

Went to Quay 4 the tapas part on saturday afternoon. Lovely food and very reasonable as well. Be good to see it take off .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

I was in Bia again on Saturday and again not disappointed. Good service and value!

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Mr. Muddle

Dingatron wrote: »
    I was in Bia again on Saturday and again not disappointed. Good service and value!

+1 for Bia

Chilli noodles were great for my hangover on Saturday;). Great value 3 meals and 4 drinks €22

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Bia is fantastic value. The OH loves it there and we usually go on a Sunday for either dinner or tea. He loves the big dinners and I usually get the burger, lasagne or one of the noodle bowls - they're huge, I can never finish them!

And also a mention for the staff - they know their regulars and the service is always fast and with a smile. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Another vote for Bia - really can't fault them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Think i said before on here, we try to go once a week, whatever we get with 2 drinks never usually goes over €20, fast prompt service, piping hot too!

• Advertisement

kbell wrote: »
    Maybe, if the thread was called Louth Restaurant Reviews.

The forum region is for Louth....Southgate is not in Louth, it is in Meath. I know the thread says Drogheda, it was a throw away remark. Maybe you didn't spot the smiley :-))))))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Shoe Lover

Was in Bru on Saturday night for dinner. The Bru 22 menu is very good value, especially as the specials are included in on it. Had a duck noodle salad to start with, asked for the dressing on the side which they remembered! A lot of places forget this, Donegans being one of the main culprits! Was very tasty and not scabby on the duck either :) Had the Chicken Stir Fry for mains, again very tasty and just the right amount. Was lovely! Shared a Sticky Toffee Pud with the OH for dessert - wasn't too mad on this, had a slightly burnt taste, but overall, very good. Service was excellent. The whole meal including wine and a pint of Guinness was only 54euro :D

I see D'Vine Restaurant has opened their new terrace. I have to try it. :D There are photos on Facebook - it looks lovely.

http://www.facebook.com/Dvinewinebar

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭iPearly

Relish in Bettystown- Great great food- whether it's lunch or dinner. right on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

Posher wrote: »
    I see D'Vine Restaurant has opened their new terrace. I have to try it. :D There are photos on Facebook - it looks lovely.

http://www.facebook.com/Dvinewinebar

Can ya just go in there and chill, or do ya have to order food?

Looks like a class place for a few drinks with mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,894 ✭✭✭furiousox

Just like to give a mention for cafe simona in town, its where olio & farina used to be on the way down to scotch hall.
    I've been in there twice recently and its really nice for a coffee and pastry type of 'pit stop'.
    They also do panini and pasta dishes I think but I've just been there for coffee etc
    Coffee is really nice and they have a nice selection of pastries.
    I think the couple running it are Italian, they seem really nice and friendly so I just thought I'd give them a mention here.
    I'll sign off with the usual disclaimer that I've no connection etc with the place, just like to see them do well...thats all! :)

CPL 593H

Darksaga87 wrote: »
    Can ya just go in there and chill, or do ya have to order food?

Looks like a class place for a few drinks with mates.
    Sorry I don't know - I haven't made it there since the terrance opened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Quality

For all you Indus fans out there, I heard that they now run rupee in bettystown!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭PinkFly

furiousox wrote: »
    Just like to give a mention for cafe simona in town, its where olio & farina used to be on the way down to scotch hall.
    I've been in there twice recently and its really nice for a coffee and pastry type of 'pit stop'.
    They also do panini and pasta dishes I think but I've just been there for coffee etc
    Coffee is really nice and they have a nice selection of pastries.
    I think the couple running it are Italian, they seem really nice and friendly so I just thought I'd give them a mention here.
    I'll sign off with the usual disclaimer that I've no connection etc with the place, just like to see them do well...thats all! :)

if its the same place im thinking of....the lasagne is AMAZING in there....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭m.j.w

Finally made it to quay 4 on sunday. Went down at around 3 and got the lunch menu but I wanted steak so went home and went back down at 5. I got the 12 oz striploin and everyone else got the 8oz fillet. They were lovely, the stone idea is great and the pepper sauce is the best I have tasted. Want to go back already, only downside was that the desert portions were a bit small but the cheesecake was lovely!!

Advertisement