Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS3 - Resources, Technical Issues, Troubleshooting, FAQs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

F1ngers wrote: »
    I have no way to format it externally, and I don't want to either in case they say I did the damage then. Warranty and all that.

In this case you will be better off by returning it but changing or formatting the HDD is allowed without voiding the Warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 rayhiggins

I was playing a game while connected online on my 120GB PS3 Slim this evening when the power went out mid-game due to lightning. After the power came back, the PS3 has several problems:

-The PS3 no longer starts automatically when you press the PS button on the controller, though the controller does work if you use the console's power button.

-All my PS3 game saves and Blu-ray title updates have been deleted but all my downloaded PSN games/videos and game updates are intact

-The 'Sign In' sign has changed to 'Sign Up to PSN' or words to that effect.

-The XMB menu fails to re-align itself when exiting back out of menu choices but fixes itself if you enter and exit once more

-Most seriously, the Ethernet port no longer works. It is not a matter of the modem or cable being broken, as the 360 is just fine using the same Ethernet cable. No green connection light comes up at all and 'Ethernet cable not detected' shows up.

I then attempted to reset the console to factory settings but now the console only gets as far as loading up the XMB screen when a blue screen with many languages comes up saying installation has failed, or words to that effect. It loads no further, and the console refuses to shut down, it has to have the plug pulled.

The console is out of warranty, I do not have the receipt and there were no problems prior to this. Is there anyway to fix these problems, or should I just ring up Sony Support and pay for a fix/replacement? And can anyone tell me how much such a repair would set me back and if I can at least get my PSN account back, either on the same console or on a new one? Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'd really appreciate it.

Currently I go online on the playstation through my 3 mobile broadband connection shared via wired connection. At college however the signal is too low, and I struggle to load any websites.

The broadband at my apartment is provided by the college itself, and has a username/password pop-up everytime you open the browser. Would it be possible to enter these details on the playstation's browser and be able to play games online with it?

The ps is at home, and I don't want to have to bring it up just to find out it doesn't work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Leeg17 wrote: »
    Hopefully someone can help me with this. I'd really appreciate it.

Currently I go online on the playstation through my 3 mobile broadband connection shared via wired connection. At college however the signal is too low, and I struggle to load any websites.

The broadband at my apartment is provided by the college itself, and has a username/password pop-up everytime you open the browser. Would it be possible to enter these details on the playstation's browser and be able to play games online with it?

The ps is at home, and I don't want to have to bring it up just to find out it doesn't work.

It should work, most some people secure their network with passwords. If my neighbours got my password, they would be able to use their PCs and consoles.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Hopefully they will be out of 120GB and with a bit of luck I will get a 160GB off them.
    I have my original, almost dead phat PS3 with most of my game saves on it, just takes a while to transfer them over.

Update: Went up to the Square this afternoon and got my PS3 replaced with a 160GB. :D

Straight in/out. No questions.

Transferring data now...~1 hour to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

So I bit the bullet and got me a PS3 320 Gig today, more for media playing that games. I have two newbie questions. PS3 is not wireless N? I thought it was? :(

And is there some magical way of play films off a USB drive that I am missing in the menu?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

So I bit the bullet and got me a PS3 320 Gig today, more for media playing that games. I have two newbie questions. PS3 is not wireless N? I thought it was? :(

And is there some magical way of play films off a USB drive that I am missing in the menu?

The PS3 definitely can be connected to the internet wirelessly.

As for your second question, I don't know much about the media side of things, but I'm guessing you have to copy the film from your USB key to your PS3 first. Have you done that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Yo Buddy. You still alive?

The PS3 definitely can be connected to the internet wirelessly.

As for your second question, I don't know much about the media side of things, but I'm guessing you have to copy the film from your USB key to your PS3 first. Have you done that?

Hello,

Thanks for replying. I know it is wireless and I have it connected but I thought I read somewhere that there were doing "n" now as well as b/g. I am thinking that was not true.

Also I think PS3s only recognise FAT32 and not NTFS drives, which is a bit of a bummer.

Hello,

Thanks for replying. I know it is wireless and I have it connected but I thought I read somewhere that there were doing "n" now as well as b/g. I am thinking that was not true.

Also I think PS3s only recognise FAT32 and not NTFS drives, which is a bit of a bummer.

It's not N, but there is a 1Gbps ethernet port so you could get it to have N if you got a bridge.

if you use a NAS it doesn't matter the internal drive is Sonys own and does not have the FAT32 limits but yes a NTFS USB external drive won't work, i have a 1GB drive using NTFS connected to a switch and then to the ps3 and this plays all the ps3 supported file without the file size limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭steppen

Hi all, My PS3 controller has stopped working wirelessly and now only works via USB. I have tried resetting the controller and restoring the PS3 to no avail. Any suggestions?

same problem here, both controller only work via usb. have resetted but nothing seems to work.

anybody have any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

steppen wrote: »
    same problem here, both controller only work via usb. have resetted but nothing seems to work.

anybody have any suggestions?

instructions

Things You'll Need:

• PS3
    • PS3 controller
    • USB cord
    • Paperclip

1. 1
      Put your PS3 in standby mode. Just turn it off so you have a solid red light on the front.
    2. 2
      Unfold a paper clip and press in into the small pin hole that is on the back side of your controller.
    3. 3
      Connect the controller with the USB cable.
    4. 4
      Press and Hold your finger over the power button on the front of the PS3. The second you touch it, it will beep. thats the first beep. Five seconds later it will beep a second time. Release the button and the light will then turn green.
    5. 5
      Press the PS button on the controller. when the number 1 indicator light is the only light that is on. disconnect the USB cable. All four lights will then flash and then return back to the number 1.
    6. 6
      You have fixed your issue!!!
      (If using an HDMI it will prompt you for those settings)
      (For all other controllers just press the reset button and do step 5)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Raphael Mc Enroe

my ps3 got ylod,have it at least 6 years,can supposedly get it fixed for 30£ in tyone and no dix no fee thing, Is it worth it or should i geta new one. Really really wana get the new cod,i rocked on ocod4 and mw2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭Just Contribute

my ps3 got ylod,have it at least 6 years,can supposedly get it fixed for 30£ in tyone and no dix no fee thing, Is it worth it or should i geta new one. Really really wana get the new cod,i rocked on ocod4 and mw2.

Sure. :rolleyes:

I got my YLOD fixed last year and it's been fine since, so it's really just a decision of whether you want a new PS3 or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Raphael Mc Enroe

kewl thanks,i really want to keep it cause it can play the old FF's. Thought it may be a recurring problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Quick question folks I'm sure it's been asked many times before here but..

Thinking of getting a PS3 for Christmas. The main attraction for me would be playing online and I guess I'd just be mainly playing Fifa/PES and maybe COD. I'm out in the sticks though and working with poor speeds. Would this be enough to play online or would I need to get a better package? I'm not looking for anything spectacular just as long as it would be reasonably playable.

1026494783.png

Thanks for any help

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Richy06

Just wondering how I go about playing stuff off of the two hard drives I own. Both are Mac formatted so that could prove a problem. I think they're Fat32.
    I have a USB 8 gig stick though, which shows up, but the avi I had put on it to test it had not.
    Any ideas?

Richy06 wrote: »
    Just wondering how I go about playing stuff off of the two hard drives I own. Both are Mac formatted so that could prove a problem. I think they're Fat32.
    I have a USB 8 gig stick though, which shows up, but the avi I had put on it to test it had not.
    Any ideas?

Are the videos in any folder on the stick and what's the name of the folder and the codecs used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

hey i having a problem playing online, im using a 3g router to play online. it works when the router is beside the playstation on wireless or wired connection, i discovered i had a better signal on the moblie 3g stick when it was upstairs so i moved the router upstairs then tried connection via wireless, the connection test told me it had worked. the boxed appeared and told me i had signed into the playstation network, but the minute i try playing a game online it tells me the all servers are down, sometimes a message comes up saying "u have been unexpectedly signed out" i even ran a cat6 brandrex cable from the router upstairs to the playstation but same thing was happening. HELP:confused:

hey i having a problem playing online, im using a 3g router to play online. it works when the router is beside the playstation on wireless or wired connection, i discovered i had a better signal on the moblie 3g stick when it was upstairs so i moved the router upstairs then tried connection via wireless, the connection test told me it had worked. the boxed appeared and told me i had signed into the playstation network, but the minute i try playing a game online it tells me the all servers are down, sometimes a message comes up saying "u have been unexpectedly signed out" i even ran a cat6 brandrex cable from the router upstairs to the playstation but same thing was happening. HELP:confused:

If it's happening now then PSN is down for some people for maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭deafroadrunner

Varik wrote: »
    If it's happening now then PSN is down for some people for maintenance.

well when i moved the router back beside the playstation it was working again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Any advice for someone thinking of buying a pre-owned PS3 for one the usual stores???

Havn't had a console since the original ps2 came out, whenever that was (6-7 years ago?). Can't believe the problems people have with these ps3's. I'm half afraid to buy one after reading this and a few other forums.

what kinda warranty's come with pre-own consoles.
    Is there a particular model I should go for/avoid
    What firmware should it have?
    What difference does the HD size make?

I doubt I'll play on-line much, if it all. I'll probably only buy a handful of games over the next 12 months if I do invest.

what kinda warranty's come with pre-own consoles.
    3 months, iirc
    Is there a particular model I should go for/avoid
    Avoid pre-owned, some people trade in dying PS3s. Get a slim.
    What firmware should it have?
    I think it's 3.42. If you go online you will have to update to latest rev. anyway.
    What difference does the HD size make?
    Since you won't be buying many games, smallest HD will do you.

Anyone got a universal remote with Bluetooth setup they can recommend, while i got my sky remote to work with the TV and amp it's not great as i can only set it to the one source on the amp and have no choice of what source that is.

Bit tired of having to use 4 remotes(including a dualshock) just to watch a movie.

Varik wrote: »
    Are the videos in any folder on the stick and what's the name of the folder and the codecs used.

No, it was just the file put directly onto the drive and not in any folder. Not sure of the codec, only that the container is .avi!

Richy06 wrote: »
    No, it was just the file put directly onto the drive and not in any folder. Not sure of the codec, only that the container is .avi!

Make a folder call VIDEO on the drive with the file in it.

Nice one dude, I'll give it a whirl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭donmeister

Odd one for ye folks, could anyone help?

My 40gb Phat PS3 reads blu-rays most of the time other times nothing comes up on XMB , then sometimes about 5 mins or less into a game it freezes, and then other times games work grand for hours on end! Will a replace the laser or what will I do, its driving me mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

donmeister wrote: »
    Will a replace the laser or what will I do
    How about just cleaning it for start?

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    How about just cleaning it for start?

You can get a cleaning disc in a lot of shops try that before returning or repairing it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭hitman79

Can anyone tell me what i need to get my PS3 online? Never played online before so haven't a clue. Have broadband in my house downstairs so im guessing i need something on my PS3 to pck up broadband? All help appreciated :D

Advertisement