Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

etymon wrote: »
    friend who travels abroad on business always brings home smokes for the lads... turned out (a big row ensuing) that he had been charging them a commission on top of the cost price for the carton... earns more than most of them put together

Woulda thought that was fair enough. He's going to the trouble of buying and carrying them after all. Your mates are still getting them cheaper than the local shop, no?

Woulda thought that was fair enough. He's going to the trouble of buying and carrying them after all. Your mates are still getting them cheaper than the local shop, no?

Thats pretty scabby in fairness. Charging your mates commission for a favour? I wouldnt do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

nah, one of the lads is his brother and he's a massive stingebag anyway, he was charging 10 euro extra a carton but told the lads it was say 35 a carton not 25. then they found the price tags and he lied and lied and then had a tantrum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭Chris P. Bacon

I'm in no way stingy and from reading this thread im amazed at how some people go on,although in work for my breakfast i have been known to hide the odd sausage under a big pile of beans,i just do it for the laugh and to see if i get away with it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭AnneElizabeth

Jeeze half these things aren't in any way stingy. People want to watch their money, big deal ..
    I don't see anything wrong with not tipping at a restaurant. They already get paid. And I wouldn't give to a charity unless I was sure where it was going to.
    "Neither a borrower nor a lender be", that's the best way to be.
    I think some people just love complaining.

• Advertisement

Thats pretty scabby in fairness. Charging your mates commission for a favour? I wouldnt do it.

It's not a favour, it's a service.
    I've brought smokes back from abroad for others, and they've done the same for me. It's understood that there's a fiver or tenner a carton in it for whoever did the carrying of them.
    I think what's scabby here is the people moaning their holes off about a tenner a carton when they're getting their smokes at halfprice delivered into their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

haha well maybe if ya knew him you'd agree it wasn't exactly surprising! i think it's dead scabby though, I felt bad about asking my
    mates for the 3.50 extra on top of the tickets after getting some tix at Ticketmaster - 'here's your 30 quid' and me going 'eh it was 33.50... nevermind' :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

My parents were not the stingiest people around, but they had some miserly characteristics.

1. Bath-time was once weekly, I was smart enough to always get in the bath first then the rest of the family would hop in one after the other for 10 minute intervals (there was 7 of us) - then we were warned to keep the bathwater there for another couple of days to soak dirty farmclothes in before putting them in the washing machine. They also took out jugfuls of it to water the plants!

2. Everything was hoarded in case it would ever be needed again, and I mean everything! Big soup containers, bottles, old washing machines, old cookers, cars, fridges, furniture kept in the sheds just in case any of the parts would ever be needed again. You can't move in the sheds for all the rubbish that's in it.

3. No food was thrown out- mouldy bread just had the mould cut from it, as did mouldy cheese or tomatoes. Bleurgh!

4. On cold winter's nights, my father hated to see the good turf burning away he would throw a few shovelfulls of turfdust from the turf shed to quench the fire for about an hour before it could start flaming again. The room would get cold and miserable, as well as have a horrible stench of smoke from the smouldering turfdust, but it was saving the turf!

5. I owned 5 items of clothing (I'm not joking!), all homemade when I persuaded mum to buy me a pair of jeans when I was 13. I wore them nearly every day for 3 years, then a friend gave me a pair that were more trendy so my old pair were relegated to the bottom drawer of my dressing table. My father gave out yarns about his good money having been spent on those jeans and now I wouldn't wear them! I had to listen to this for weeks before I told him to shut up, he should appreciate having a daughter that didn't scream for the latest designer clothes!

6. When my son was born, I got a present of a see-saw. It was a rusting piece of metal he found down at the bog that was once part of a see-saw! He hammered pieces of wood and old carpet where the seats would have been. Funnily enough, the kids liked it and played on it for a few years.

7. When they went on holidays, they had their own portable 2-ring gas cooker which they would bring with them - along with their own cutlery, dishes, cups and food just so they wouldn't have to eat in restaurants. They never bought food in the touristy places because the prices were hyped up.

Sadly, they have since passed away but we had a lovely life despite their economising tendencies. A lot of what they taught me was useful, especially when I was a student in London I managed to live on the absolute minimum. And I suppose my brothers and I have a great laugh when we reminisce on their money-saving ways.

It's not a favour, it's a service.
    I've brought smokes back from abroad for others, and they've done the same for me. It's understood that there's a fiver or tenner a carton in it for whoever did the carrying of them.
    I think what's scabby here is the people moaning their holes off about a tenner a carton when they're getting their smokes at halfprice delivered into their hands.

Expecting money is scabby. Its no great burden to go through the airport and pick up a carton or two. Its certainly not worth 5 or 10 quid, regardless of the savings made by the recipients.

Expecting money is scabby. Its no great burden to go through the airport and pick up a carton or two. Its certainly not worth 5 or 10 quid, regardless of the savings made by the recipients.

If my mate's travelling, and he brings me back a carton, I'm more than happy to bung him a tenner because I'm saving way more than that. I'd consider it tight not to reward him for his effort. After all, he could just sort himself out and I'd still be paying the guts of nine euro a pack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭McNulty737

kelle wrote: »

1. Bath-time was once weekly, I was smart enough to always get in the bath first then the rest of the family would hop in one after the other for 10 minute intervals (there was 7 of us) - then we were warned to keep the bathwater there for another couple of days to soak dirty farmclothes in before putting them in the washing machine. They also took out jugfuls of it to water the plants!

No offence, but this is gross. The last person must have come out of the bath dirtier than they went in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭TheInquisitor

My girlfriend and I were once invited to a BBQ thrown by a (not too close) friend of mine.

We brought a bottle of wine and a few other things.

We ate about 2 burgers and one hot dog between us, and I had one beer from a keg they ordered.

Then the guy and his a**hole friends start complaining that nobody has "paid" them yet. Apparently they bought the food and booze with the intention of charging everyone E10 and presumably making a profit. :eek:

To my mortal shame I gave him the money instead of a kick in the hole, out of embarrassment. :mad:

I'm still pretty angry with myself for not telling him go f**k himself.

Wow i feel like a stingey b@stard now. We had a BBQ back 3 years ago , bought a BBQ, a Marquis, E80 worth of meet , loads of buns , E100 of drink , loads of snacks then and cordials for mixers. We planned on charging a fiver per person just to cover costs. Fair enough we got too drunk and forgot about charging people but i still don't think it was a bad idea charging people especially when we told them beforehand it would be a fiver a head

McNulty737 wrote: »
    No offence, but this is gross. The last person must have come out of the bath dirtier than they went in.

That was actually the norm with many families in those days - it's the same as bathing three kids at the same time. Just that the "economising" went further at my gaf!

I agree though, that's why I was always the first in!

Though this post has had me retching since I read it earlier today - good way to lose a few pounds!
    pebbles21 wrote: »
    Uncle of mine came home to find his house was broken into and the scumbags who did it also left him a nice "present" in the stew he made the previous night

He threw half of the stew out !

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭dusty207

kelle wrote: »
    3. No food was thrown out- mouldy bread just had the mould cut from it, as did mouldy cheese or tomatoes. Bleurgh!

Fine line between stingy and having to do something I believe!
    Spoke to several elderly Dublin folk this week and they all remember their parents buying flour in 10lb bags. Reason was that 1 bag made a pillow case and 4 made a sheet. All bleached first to remove the millers name.
    No disrespect but hard to believe food lasted long enough in your home to go mouldy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

At a hotel breakfast buffet seen a guy pocket sausages,rashers and two fried eggs:eek:

dusty207 wrote: »
    No disrespect but hard to believe food lasted long enough in your home to go mouldy!

It did, believe me - it turned my stomach so much!
    pebbles21 wrote: »
    At a hotel breakfast buffet seen a guy pocket sausages,rashers and two fried eggs:eek:

<<reaches for vomit bowl>>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

same in our house, its just an irish thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52bna-tn_dY

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭villabren

Stingiest thing I've ever seen was when I got held up at the express checkout in a supermarket by an old man who the previous day had "accidentaly" picked up The Nationalist (a local newspaper) and wanted to swap it for that day's Irish Independent. Miserable sod had probably done the crossword and all:mad: Nearly gave him the €2 meself just to flippin hurry him along

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Rockery Woman

A stingy guy I work with, used to buy his dinner in the canteen every day but rather than spend 10c on a sachet of tomato sauce he used to rob loads of them from McDonalds and bring them in his pocket to work.

Same guy bought his wife an Ireland jersey for Christmas (not the official one)

He scoffed when I told him about the security system I have in my house. His consists of bars welded across the windows of his house, like a trellis - God help his family if his house catches fire.

His wife doesnt work and he wouldnt get her a moblie phone!

His poor kids get jigsaws and colouring books for Christmas, they wanted Playstations and X-boxes but they were too expensive for him.

But he drives a big Jeep himself, driving over 80 kilometers to and from work every day.

Id love to slap him!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

When my ex returns my child from access, he used to take the bib off her neck and put it in his pocket and bring it home with him, you know the little plastic backed ones you get in pennys:mad:

One Christmas I invited him over as I felt it was the right thing to do. He brought her an xmas pressie, then when he was going home, he took it out of her little hands and brought the pressie home with him:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Tarini

I went out for my birthday for drinks with an ex, I ended up buying the drinks for him.... I was a college student, he was working full time as a tradesman

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Knine wrote: »
    He brought her an xmas pressie, then when he was going home, he took it out of her little hands and brought the pressie home with him:eek:

This reminds me of a guy i used to know. He was a musician, a very talented one at that, played everything from guitar to sax to piano but was most talented at playing drums.

Anyway he came over to my sons B day (his 3rd i think) he brought over some sort of African drum wrapped up in a big bow with a card taped to the top of it. At the end of the day we couldn't find the drum anywhere so i gave the guy a call to ask if he had seen it,and what does he say to me only that he hadn't brought it as a present just for the kids to play with.
    I thought it was the most despicable things anyone could do and told him as much. Haven't spoke to him since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Tarini wrote: »
    I went out for my birthday for drinks with an ex, I ended up buying the drinks for him.... I was a college student, he was working full time as a tradesman
    what really?if i was out on a date with a girl
    and my mother heard that the girl was paying for the drink
    i would get a slap on the back on the head
    gentlemen always pay for the date,if not there a stingy fu**er
    and should be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Tarini

Well I don't mind paying my way at all, but like come on! It was my 18th birthday he didn't buy me one!! And me being me paid for them, I dated him again when I was 23, went into pub and he said "what will ya have? A pint?" cos they are cheaper than bottles hahahahaha needless to say, it didn't work out

• Registered Users Posts: 12,378 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Shared meal deal with a somewhat "eccentric" aquaintance. I couldn't finish my share and offered her the rest of my pizza to eat on the bus home. She also gathered up the cold chips to have for "breakfast the next day"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

An ex of mine was so stingy that if he bought me a cup of tea while we were in college because I had no money he would ask for the euro back a few days later. I often paid for the cinema or beers for us if he was broke and wouldn't dream of asking for a penny back, but an entirely different story if it was coming from his wallet. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

My friend asked me for a loan of 50c because he didn't want to break his €2 coin, I didn't think he was serious, oh how wrong I was...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

dorgasm wrote: »
    My friend asked me for a loan of 50c because he didn't want to break his €2 coin, I didn't think he was serious, oh how wrong I was...
    that cant be true????

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Bog

what really?if i was out on a date with a girl
    and my mother heard that the girl was paying for the drink
    i would get a slap on the back on the head
    gentlemen always pay for the date,if not there a stingy fu**er
    and should be avoided

That reads like a convoluted haiku.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

that cant be true????

It is, he is the biggest miser on the planet. He won't do a favour for anyone unless he gains from it money-wise. Like when our friend ran out of petrol, he brought €5 worth of petrol to her and charged her €15 before he'd give it to her! Another time, his mother had a load of free passes for the cinema and she gave them to us and told us to use them, but he took them and when his mother wasn't around he tried to charge us all €5 each for a free pass! There is so many little stories like that but yeah the not wanting to break €2 is 100% true!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement