Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

*giggles* wrote: »
    Just watching Nigella Lawson, and at the end she's in a café is having a cup of coffee. She then pulls out a homemade brownie that she brought with her and lays into it. A bit scabby, no?
    Nigella can get away with it. Id give her a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

I'm from Cavan and even I'm shocked by a lot of this stuff! Having said that, a neighbour of ours won the lotto a few years back, quite an impressive win too, but he still took our old bathtub as a feeding trough for his cattle when we were doing up the house :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭pyramuid man

Love the fact that Isreal and cavan people are some of the tags. LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭whosedaddy?

Friend of mine had an ex who counted the slices of cheese / ham she was allowed to eat onto her plate when she came to visit his house...

He also wore his grandfathers jocks as he didn't see the need to buy his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭peepeep

Teferi wrote: »
    A lad that was in out class when we were in school is known to be a scab and his family is more well off than most.

In town the other night, meet said lad on street and he invites himself along to the pub with us. We all get a pint and he finishes his first and says "Lads, could you each throw a bit of your beer in my glass. Don't want to go back to the bar"

We didn't know what to say.

Wow. Genuinely shocked by this one! I hope you spat in his glass.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

This is my favourite thread ever on Boards. Yesterday my Dad told me about how his neighbour would push his car out the driveway to save as much petrol as possible. Wouldn't have thought this was incredibly stingy until he made his two girls u-12 years of age push it out the driveway ( a good 20 metres)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

Guy works with me brings a large thermos flask to work every day....empty.

Last thing in the evening he boils the kettle, fills the flask and brings it home with him.

He used to put tea bags in it too but we copped on that and one guy now in charge of tea bags which are kept in a locked press

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

Polar Girl wrote: »
    An uncle of my friends was building a stone wall around his garage. Instead of paying for the stone he spent a total of 3 years collecting stone from from other peoples sites etc on weekends. He would pick up a few pieces a week and put them in the back of his car.

Last edited by Polar Girl; Today at 09:49. Reason: grammer

Sorry, it just made me laugh :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

dennyire wrote: »
    One guy is now in charge of tea bags which are kept in a locked press

That's stingier than the Thermos guy tbh..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Wazdakka wrote: »
    That's stingier than the Thermos guy tbh..

FACT....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

no.....he just dishes them out by concensus to stop the other guy knoking them off....they used to missing by the boxload

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

Jellyfish are stingy. Never come across a stingy person yet.

Humankind is evolving?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭one2one

People on buses who insist on waiting on their 5c change tickets!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

A scabby friend asked me for a smoke i happily gave him one only two have twenty in his own pocket! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

one2one wrote: »
    People on buses who insist on waiting on their 5c change tickets!

I've never cashed one in my entire life and never intend to, but I find it rude to just snap off the ticket and just and walk away. The least you could do is wait the 2 seconds for the refund bit instead of having him waste his time giving you the refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭messed_up

On a seasonal note, my brother refused to come to the pictures to see the Billy Murray film "Scrooged" one Christmas cos he didn't want to spend the money he had got as presents. He still gets grief every year over that!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

dont know if this is stingy or bizarre

if you remember in macdonalds you used to be able to get the cardboard tray with room for 2 drinks and a burger.

i saw a fella finish his meal and then lick the tray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭MikeC101

ccosgrave wrote: »
    Jaysus, I knew there'd be loads of us out there, I lived there the last two years, finally moving out at Christmas. Hilarious how pretty much everyone who ever met him for the first time saw him either topless or in that dirty vest.

Jesus, that is bizarre. Maybe it was his lucky vest?

While I didn't get the sweaty vest effect on my first meeting, I did see it more than necessary. Though, thinking back, he sent over a drink to me and my roommate when we were in a pub he was in. A drink each even!

I think his wife was worse though - nasty gossipy type (I know, the irony). Course I actually lived in HIS house, with him and his family for a year, so I was exposed to him, and his occasional drunken outbursts, more than I'd have liked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

people waiting for 1cent change in the shops, you think they're going to put it in the charity boxes, then the cheapskates put it in their pocket, like who the fcuk uses a 1c coin anyway?:eek::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

true story i kid you not...

friends granny bought some peas in a supermarket in town, she noticed in her local shop they were 1p cheaper (1999 or something) when she got home... hopped on the bus back into town to get a refund then bought them locally

has the free bus pass so i guess the trip cost her nothing...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

A year ago,worked for a weekend with a friend for €100. Mine and his money got paid to his account. He spent his half and my half at a weekend away. Still owes me the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

A friend of mine told me when is parents and 2siblings were going to a camping site in the 90s, his dad would stop the camper and tell the kids to walk the 1km or so to the camp because the camp charged per head.

Once the parents were all parked up, the kids strolled in to campsite.

It think its more smart than stingy but this thread suits it best!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

A friend of mine told me when is parents and 2siblings were going to a camping site in the 90s, his dad would stop the camper and tell the kids to walk the 1km or so to the camp because the camp charged per head.

Once the parents were all parked up, the kids strolled in to campsite.

It think its more smart than stingy but this thread suits it best!

Could they not have hid in the camper?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭streings

I was out collecting money for Friends of the Elderly and a guy stopped right beside me, took out a fiver, put it halfway down the hole in the box then started to laugh and took it out and walked away. Stingey wanker.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

peepeep wrote: »
    Wow. Genuinely shocked by this one! I hope you spat in his glass.

We were so shocked we stared blankly at him for a minute until the slaggings started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Polar Girl

cloneslad wrote: »
    Sorry, it just made me laugh :p

Well Obviously that should have been grammar- but it must not take much to make you laugh!

• Registered Users Posts: 31 finnharps09

I once saw a girl take a tip off a table and buy a drink with it... scabby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

Numina wrote: »
    I've never cashed one in my entire life and never intend to, but I find it rude to just snap off the ticket and just and walk away. The least you could do is wait the 2 seconds for the refund bit instead of having him waste his time giving you the refund.

I put them in a box or just leave them on my desk to pile up.
    Cashed in my stash last year and came back with €20.

Money down the drain if you don't cash them in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭pebbles21

Uncle of mine came home to find his house was broken into and the scumbags who did it also left him a nice "present" in the stew he made the previous night

He threw half of the stew out !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,020 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

pebbles21 wrote: »
    Uncle of mine came home to find his house was broken into and the scumbags who did it also left him a nice "present" in the stew he made the previous night

He threw half of the stew out !

Surprise poo?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement