Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Dub13 wrote: »
    The way the repeats at night are played does my head in.The other night I was in the bath and had the repeat of culture shock on just before they went for a brake they said whats up next,I cant remember what it was but I remember thinking that will be interesting.So after the brake they cut to a entirely different show.:mad:

Yeah, those "brakes" can be a pain in the ar$e.

Especially in the bath. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,411 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Advert on newstalk said Tom Dunne will be starting at 10.00 from september. Does this mean a 3 hour breakfast show, or a 1 hr show at 10am?

Good we won't have to listen to him spew the usual crap drivel on his 5-10 minute 'preview' that takes over the breakfast show at 8.30 anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kalinda

Barname wrote: »
    I want Newstalk to run Kevin Myers from 1:45

the show should be called the Whineline

Kevin & The Whineline Vs Joe & Liveline

ratings war, winner takes all

Funny!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Rubik. wrote: »
    It kind of makes sense to have your most popular presenter doing the breakfast show, but there will be a trade off because Yates is bound to loss a fair few of the Right Hook's listeners

Makes more sense to me that if you're going to move your most popular presenter, you move them to a timeslot that you need to pull your listenership up in...

Just a thought...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

My god that interview with Daithí O Sé is cringeworthy... Did Damien Kiberd do ANY research on him at all????

Kiberd: "Are you a gaelgóir?".....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Bard wrote: »
    Makes more sense to me that if you're going to move your most popular presenter, you move them to a timeslot that you need to pull your listenership up in...

Which, in Newstalk's case, would be The Breakfast show - "get people to listen to you in the morning and they will stay with you during the day".

Problem being, the station has never been able attracted enough listeners to that time slot. In fact, it has lost listeners in the last two quarters.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Who is the girl in for Tom Dunne this week...?

Dub13 wrote: »
    Who is the girl in for Tom Dunne this week...?

Jenny Buckley...I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭JimboJones74

I know its probably difficult for guest hosts to come in for a week, so would it not make more sense to have the Joe the producer fill in ( i think he a while ago) for a week, rather than trying to create a "partnership" instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jenny Buckley...I think.

with some bloke on as well as a co host and theyre BOTH more head wrecking than sile.

dear jesus dial down the volume. it like theyre shreiking into the microphone at time and i swear the bloke is trying to do his best colin farrel "deadly buzz" impersonation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

i hear another departure is due from one of the main shows, which will mess with their plans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 920 ✭✭✭Lenny Lovett

giftgrub wrote: »
    i hear another departure is due from one of the main shows, which will mess with their plans
    I guess it involves someone going to Montrose? Been bubbling for a while I believe...

Any hints as to who this person might be?

Any hints as to who this person might be?
    It could be someone who has started popping up quite frequently on RTE radio shows giving political opinion... regarding leadership change.... in a certain political party....

My god, once again Mark Coleman is awful .. I tuned to hear his discussion of Tubridy's statements on Larry Murphy... he's already pissed off Charlie Flanagan (who had been brought on to discuss the issue) and he hung up after Coleman made a sweeping generalisation about all TDs. And now he's pissed off his other studio guest by cherry picking the statement they received on the issue from RTE....

Awful as usual...

My god, once again Mark Coleman is awful .. I tuned to hear his discussion of Tubridy's statements on Larry Murphy... he's already pissed off Charlie Flanagan (who had been brought on to discuss the issue) and he hung up after Coleman made a sweeping generalisation about all TDs. And now he's pissed off his other studio guest by cherry picking the statement they received on the issue from RTE....

Awful as usual...

True.
    I could picture him squirming with the egg on his face when his guest pointed out that he was being very selective in the parts of the statement he chose to read on air. It was an attempt to fool the listeners and it backfired.
    I'm no fan of The Late Late Show but Newstalk's attempts to create a sensationalist (non) story at RTE's expense was pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Lapin wrote: »
    True.
    I could picture him squirming with the egg on his face when his guest pointed out that he was being very selective in the parts of the statement he chose to read on air. It was an attempt to fool the listeners and it backfired.
    I'm no fan of The Late Late Show but Newstalk's attempts to create a sensationalist (non) story at RTE's expense was pathetic.

Or Coleman's attempts, maybe.

BTW, did he have Ronan Mullan on tonight, as a matter of interest?

delaad wrote: »

Coleman's attempts perhaps, or maybe the production team of the Coleman at Large programme ? Either way Newstalk was the vessel used for this piece of shabby journalism.

Unfortunately Senator Mullan wasn't on the programme earlier. I say "unfortunately" because he is one of the few senators I have any time for.

delaad wrote: »

Deirdre De Buirca, Charlie Flanagan (on the phone, he hung up), Constantin (one haa haa, two haa haaa) Gurdgiev, some newspaper guy...

Didnt hear Ronan Mullan, but he could have been doing his other job working for Jim Henson

190px-RonanMullen2010.JPGmuppets_scooter.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Deirdre De Buirca, Charlie Flanagan (on the phone, he hung up), Constantin (one haa haa, two haa haaa) Gurdgiev, some newspaper guy...

Didnt hear Ronan Mullan, but he could have been doing his other job working for Jim Henson

190px-RonanMullen2010.JPGmuppets_scooter.gif

Cracker!

• Advertisement

Fair play to Seamus Dooley, he absolutely savaged Coleman and rightly so.

Fair play to Seamus Dooley, he absolutely savaged Coleman.

The point Coleman made about ALL politicians supposedly being guilty of abusing the expenses system (which is what he was trying to insinuate) was just childish, unfounded and irresponsible as a broadcaster. Flanagan was right to hang up on him, and Dooley was right to tackle him on this issue AND on not reading out the full RTE statement ... which was probably not easy for him to sitting across from Coleman in HIS studio on HIS show..

Its up here if anyone wants to listen to it http://media.newstalk.ie/listenback . The first 20 minutes or so.

Cheers for the link Rubik, I had to have a listen back just to hear if I could believe my ears when I heard it live.
    For anyone else who wants to listen back it might be worth skipping the first ten minutes (it takes in the news and an awful AC/DC track as well as some irrelevant stuff). Skip straight to 09:55 to hear the relevant stuff.

Its worth listening on for a further ten mins to hear Derirde de Burca's comments and the manner in which she also rebuked Coleman, who at this stage was digging himself into an even deeper hole. He retaliated with sarcasm by trying to twist the debate into a left / right wing argument.
    Always a last resort of someone who's beaten into a corner.
    Interpreting de Burca's comments to suggest that she was claiming the Rape Crisis Centre is a right wing organisation would be comical if the subject wasn't so serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

just listening to it now - one word springs to mind - farcical. Sounds like coleman misjudged the public attitude towards RTE (and Ivor) and just expected the contributors to join him in an easy dig at an unrepresented scapegoat. Good on 'em for not falling for it, I say. There's too much populist ranting on the radio these days, there's a place for it (Jooooooooooooooooe) but not on a supposedly analysis based show.

Fair play to Seamus Dooley, he absolutely savaged Coleman and rightly so.
    Coleman trying to make a big issue out of nothing. Tubbers never said he was wanting to interview yer man. It was a hypothetical question and he answered it well. As I said in another post, it's a bit rich Newstalk trying to accuse RTE of shoddy journalistic standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well theres a new guy doing the business section of the breakfast show and he's fecking awfull.

apparently its some journo from the business post but i think it henry mckeen doing a dodgy accent.

FFS get connor brophy back on that, thats his job and he does it well.

speaking of which nice littly freudean slip from him to clair about her being irreplaceable :):)

ive given up on the coleman show, the start of it was enough to put me off. awfull tabliod crap. whats he trying to be? whatever it is its NOT working .

i cant belive they got shot of the other show they had before him for this tosh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭CiaranMT

Síle should be getting her own slot on the station at this stage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

CiaranMT wrote: »
    Síle should be getting her own slot on the station at this stage.

How come she is back...?were the other 2 that bad..?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭conno16

the other two?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement