Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

East Wall, Dublin 3

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 esmerelda80

Hi candy man 5 apartments in our block needed new pumps installed cause the others went .....Makes you wonder if they where either installed properly or if the where reconditioned ones that where put in ??? But then again we had major flooding in jan 08 due to a flush pipe been installed incorrectly and 4 of our apartments destroyed with thousands of euro worth of damage done ...And then a year later more toilets where found to have the same prob...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭EyesLeft

According to

http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/1002/fire.html

there was a fire in East Wall last night with five hurt, but not badly, tG, anyone know where the fire was?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The XL shop and post office on Church Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Is there some sort of issue with the Electricity Supply to the Development?

To date My Fridge has packed up, two modem/routers, hundreds of lightbulbs (especially the bathroom lights), and an LCD TV.

Has anyone else had an issue with electrical goods??

EsatBT said the modem issue looked like a power surge and the fridge guy said the problem I had was usually from unreliable power source but couldnt see any problem.

In a previous apartment I had (in another development) the water pump went and this was identified to be an issue with the electrical supply.

Any thoughts?????

Yeah my bulbs in my en suite went which tripped my elect and when i went to turn it on the board sparked at me ..... and elect constantly trips all the time strange alright ....

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

the corner of east wall road and church road...where is that? Is it near us?

I think it maybe the site next to Tom Canavan Motors on East Wall Rd directly oposite Church Rd, but not 100% sure

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭candyman

whatnext wrote: »
    I think it maybe the site next to Tom Canavan Motors on East Wall Rd directly oposite Church Rd, but not 100% sure

thats it alright. used to be the old tucks fastener site.

candyman wrote: »
    thats it alright. used to be the old tucks fastener site.
    no as far as i know its cahill printers facing the lighthouse......as the surrounding houses to it got a compensation for it a last year...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The planning permission sign has been sitting facing the road in the Tucks yard for the last three years. Huge site with the biggest weeds ever. I'd say there is some wildlife in there.

WHAT NEXT thk you for that info .....very disappointed though thought at long last we where getting rid of that eyesore across the road......cant wait till they do something with it:)

lightening wrote: »
    Huge site with the biggest weeds ever. I'd say there is some wildlife in there.

Could we put the kids in it? :-) Just jokin' of course before ye all attack me!

AFAIK Cahill Printers is sold, was originally going to be redeveloped as apartments but god knows what they will do with it now.

So all around East Wall now we have quality apartments blocks barely half full. Island Key, Hawthorn Mews, Alexandra Place etc. Interested to hear peoples thoughts on what the future may hold for the area with such an oversupply of accommodation in place?

Damn what I'd give to be able to buy one!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Dmaurice

theres apartments all over dublin 3/4 empty....just a sign of the times at the moment - but you can be sure that the city centre apartments will be first to fill up - i guess we have to hope the council dont get hold of too many blocks as this inevitably will lower the value of the complex.

The Point Village is due to open in April with multiplex cinema etc and the Luas extention is nearly finished.

This is all good news for us in the medium to long term...i know it will be a good few years before i can sell mine (due to the value having come down so much) but with so much work going into the surrounding area renting the apartments out shouldnt be a problem...i hope! :)

Guess we just have to ride it out and be grateful we didnt buy one 4 years ago for even more money!!!

Had a quick look on myhome.ie for East Wall properties for sale. Only 1 apt for sale in the lighthouse at the moment.

Given all the negaitive equity that must be tied up in apartments in general, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at this low number for sale.

Good time to buy SeaSlack ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Hi,

I'm considering renting an apartment in Alexandra Place. I'd really appreciate if anyone could answer a couple of questions for me :)

How far is it (walking) from Alexandra Place to Connolly Station? Would it be safe to walk alone in the evenings?

How secure is the carpark?

What would be the average monthly charge for bills?

Is €1,000 a month reasonable enough for a two-bed there? Is it likely that I might be able to get them to lower the price a little, and have you any advice for negotiation?

Any pros/cons in general for living there?

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

For that money you'd probably get a 2 bed in Castleforbes Square or Northbank down in Northwall which is also bang on the Luas extension from Connolly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Rusty Cogs 08

For that money you'd probably get a 2 bed in Castleforbes Square or Northbank down in Northwall which is also bang on the Luas extension from Connolly (< 15 walk)

not sure what current rental trends are but 1k per month for a 2 bed close to the city seems quite reasonable. probably far too reasonable if your the landlord!

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭robgti

For that money you'd probably get a 2 bed in Castleforbes Square or Northbank down in Northwall which is also bang on the Luas extension from Connolly
    Hi,

I'm considering renting an apartment in Alexandra Place. I'd really appreciate if anyone could answer a couple of questions for me :)

How far is it (walking) from Alexandra Place to Connolly Station? Would it be safe to walk alone in the evenings?

How secure is the carpark?

What would be the average monthly charge for bills?

Is €1,000 a month reasonable enough for a two-bed there? Is it likely that I might be able to get them to lower the price a little, and have you any advice for negotiation?

Any pros/cons in general for living there?

Thanks! :)

Hi i cuurently live there, its a nice place, and as i have no bad things to say about the place worrys me ha but yes it takes 15min to get to connolly and its safe enough, wheres actuly safe nowadays:( it has desent underground parking, bills is fine shocknly :D im currently paying 1000 and got it down from 1200 i will chance my arm in the up coming months to get it reduced once again but for starting at 1000 is fine, get your feet in the door then haggel thats what works for me, hope this helps ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

I've been living in Alexandra Place for over a year now. There nice apartments and we are currently paying 950 for a 2 bed. The major difficulty with the building is the Builders/Property Management Company. They are a pack of cowboys! There's very little management ie common areas in building is never cleaned, bins can be overflowing and stinking before they are emptied etc... A few weeks ago all tenants got a letter from the Fire Brigade to say that the basement and other areas are in breach of fire safety regulation. As far as I can see they haven't done anything to fix that. A major problem is the central heating - it constantly breaks down and you can be left for days with no hot water or heating. The building isn't with Bord Gais and the new company that's looking after it hasn't been in contact with us since last October. It's one of the mamy reasons we're moving out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

I've been living in Alexandra Place for over a year now. There nice apartments and we are currently paying 950 for a 2 bed. The major difficulty with the building is the Builders/Property Management Company. They are a pack of cowboys! There's very little management ie common areas in building is never cleaned, bins can be overflowing and stinking before they are emptied etc... A few weeks ago all tenants got a letter from the Fire Brigade to say that the basement and other areas are in breach of fire safety regulation. As far as I can see they haven't done anything to fix that. A major problem is the central heating - it constantly breaks down and you can be left for days with no hot water or heating. The building isn't with Bord Gais and the new company that's looking after it hasn't been in contact with us since last October. It's one of the mamy reasons we're moving out!

The Directors of the Management Company have a legal responsibility to people whom have bought apartments from them. 99% of the time the Directors of the Management Co are also the builders, this gives you a great chance to have a go back at them - the law is completely on your side.

Use the name of your management co to find out who the Directors are:

Go to www.cro.ie, click on company search at the very top of the page and click on "Enter the Company Search Environment." See where it says Search Parameters? Make sure you click on "Both" enter the name of your Management Company (NOT your Management Agents, it has to be the Company as all owners are shareholders) and get the list of submissions - the latest Annual Returns will give you the names of the current directors.

It would be no harm taking a look at the Office of the Director of Corporate Enforcement and get the info on what a Director of a company is meant to do for you. www.odce.ie is their website but there's a load of specially prepared quick guides that will help you here - http://www.odce.ie/en/media_general_publications_article.aspx?article=f3575030-291a-4fbc-b472-56126635ad0f

Remember, when you buy an apartment there are LOADS of rights and responsibilites DUE to you. For instance, the Director of a company must act in a way that is in the best interests of the shareholders. Ignoring the Fire Brigade, as above, may means that you may sue the Directors for negligence. It may also render your Insurance invalid so chase it up immediately.

The law is completely on your side in such instances, use it!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Tracy Jacks

Thanks a million for that. I can see the management company is listed on that website so must do some digging around for more info.

the lighthouse apartments have come up with a new rule they have banned the kids from having a childhood ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Clarkey1904

Ok so i'm living in Alexandra place a few months now, and i'm just about ready to leave! I am sick of the crap rules such as Sky Conway being the only service available and not being allowed to get anything else in, such as UPC or even get sky+ :mad:
    There MUST be a loop hole to get around this??? not to annoyed about the TV aspect just the fact that I'm paying good hard earned money to be TOLD what services i can't get! and gota make do with!
    Has anybody else in Alexandra Place got good Broadband? I wana play Xbox live while the girlfriend surfs the web etc. any info would be great.
    Thank you:o
    P.S I'm wondering why i'm even following the contract rule as some don't like "No Pets" for example - (that rule i dont mind as im allergic to the hair.. ugh.) Have the rules been change since I've moved in that I didn't get the memo??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 dagdae

Hi thinking of moving to the lighthouse and really liked it but am worried about the area. Got wolf whistled at a few times on my way back to the luas line after looking at the apartment and felt a bit intimidated and it was only a bit after 6 so wondering if its safe. Tho when walking down church rd the ppl seemed very nice. I'd be walking towards the quays and cross the bridge in front of the new convention centre. Has anyones apartment been broken into also.

• Advertisement

Hi there, I wouldn't have any security worries about the complex, living here myself over a year and have had no security issues.
    There is 24 hrs security in place aswell which is good.

The area, overall is fine, i walk around it alot etc but you do have to be a little careful, there are a few gangs of young lads and girls hanging around at times that your probably best of avoiding if possible.

Don't want to put you off but it would be wise to be a little prudent in choosing your best routes for the time of day etc.
    dagdae wrote: »
    Hi thinking of moving to the lighthouse and really liked it but am worried about the area. Got wolf whistled at a few times on my way back to the luas line after looking at the apartment and felt a bit intimidated and it was only a bit after 6 so wondering if its safe. Tho when walking down church rd the ppl seemed very nice. I'd be walking towards the quays and cross the bridge in front of the new convention centre. Has anyones apartment been broken into also.

Advertisement