Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended Movies on TV

Options

Comments

The Corporation on RTE 2 now (12.20)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Michael Jackson: Moonwalker now TG4. 26/06/2010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Star Trek 11 on Channel 4 at 11.25 tonight and ITV4/+1 has Escape from New York about now. (or an hour from now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 85,556 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Serenity is on RTE 2 late tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Stand By Me .. just starting on RTE1.

Classic.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

friday july 9th 1.20 am rte1 being there, not sure but i think this was peter sellers last movie :(

wednesday july 7th 4.40 pm tcm the fortune cookie,lemmon@matthau classic. matthau whiplash willie the ambulance chaser :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,965 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I think Sellers did one more (bad) movie after that, but Being There is how he should be remembered. Ebert has it as one of his Great Movies, and I agree. (Spoiler warning.)

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Sellars is brilliant in Being There. Preferred The Last Detail and Harold and Maude over this one though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

Factotum
    Tonight @ 12:50 on RTE2
    I really enjoyed this movie anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭minister poxbottle

Factotum
    Tonight @ 12:50 on RTE2
    I really enjoyed this movie anyway.

i enjoyed this aswell, not sure could be a remake of bar fly.:confused:

• Advertisement

i enjoyed this aswell, not sure could be a remake of bar fly.:confused:

It's based on the book 'Factotum' about a fictional character called Henry Chinaski. There's a series of books, I read a few of them in my hard drinkin' days.

Original French version of Taxi 3 :(.

RTÉ Two now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0152930/plotsummary

avec Sly Stallone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Das Boot

Channel: RTE 2
    Time: 20 minutes past midnight.

Synopsis:
    (1981, General Movie/Drama) U-boat crewmen commissioned to undermine the British war effort by disrupting shipping lanes and cutting off supplies are caught in the north Atlantic, and endure a fraught and intense battle of wits with the enemy as they try to avoid near-certain destruction. Wolfgang Petersen's German drama based on Lothar-Guenther Buchheim's autobiographical best-selling novel, with Jurgen Prochnow, Herbert Gronemeyer and Klaus Wennemann.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Das Boot

Channel: RTE 2
    Time: 20 minutes past midnight.

Synopsis:
    (1981, General Movie/Drama) U-boat crewmen commissioned to undermine the British war effort by disrupting shipping lanes and cutting off supplies are caught in the north Atlantic, and endure a fraught and intense battle of wits with the enemy as they try to avoid near-certain destruction. Wolfgang Petersen's German drama based on Lothar-Guenther Buchheim's autobiographical best-selling novel, with Jurgen Prochnow, Herbert Gronemeyer and Klaus Wennemann.

A big +1 for this. One of my favourite war films. Although the plot doesn't sound great if you read that the atmosphere throughout is so unique that it made this such a great film. It is a bit of a marathon though but very enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Inland Empire, RTE 2, tonight at 12.25am

All That Heaven Allows, UTV, Friday @ 2.35am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

The Thin Red Line

Sunday - 1:50am - RTE 2

Tonight on er CBS Action The Money Movers pretty decent Aussie heist thriller full of Aussie blokes and 3 day beards.

If you like political intrigue, try All The President's Men: TG4 21:45. Robert Redford & Dustin Hoffman as reporters investigating the Watergate scandal. Every time you hear <whatever>gate, this is where it started. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

This afternoon (16:15) TV3 is showing Hulk, the one directed by Ang Lee in 2003. I really enjoyed this one for its style and its different take on the superhero story, and I don't understand some of the negative reviews it got. Lots of "Hulk Smash!" but also a strong focus on character development and the side-effects of super-powers.

bnt wrote: »
    This afternoon (16:15) TV3 is showing Hulk, the one directed by Ang Lee in 2003. I really enjoyed this one for its style and its different take on the superhero story, and I don't understand some of the negative reviews it got. Lots of "Hulk Smash!" but also a strong focus on character development and the side-effects of super-powers.

I watched this after the reboot. Both are good. But the reboot is better. The series continues to Rule.

• Advertisement

Scarface 11:45 tonight RTE1

One of those films you just need to see, you may think that Al Pacino's acting is either awful or amazing but a very entertaining film to watch with one of the best closing scenes in movie history.

Just a heads up that ITV4 is having a Clint Eastwood week, nothing out of the ordrinary title wise with first three DH flicks, Unforgiven, Pale Rider, True Crime.

Also The Thing (:eek:) is on ITV1 tonight, dunno if its 4:3 and like the cast ripped to shreds but one to set the video for maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

The Bourne Supremacy tonight at 21:35 on RTE One

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure is on now on ITV 2!

*Air Guitars*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

^^^ EXCELLENT! :D

The Damned United, BBC2 - 21:00 tonight.

If you know a bit about Brian Clough, or you're missing the World Cup already, you should find this a very enjoyable watch. It works on a purely dramatic level too, though, being about the man's unshakeable self belief. A perfect Sunday night kind of film really - great acting, funny moments, and Johnny Giles. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

It's also in glorious HD on BBC HD, good movie too,decent performance from Martin Sheen as Cloughy.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,556 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Zodiac is on RTE 1 9.30pm Wednesday

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,183 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

^^^ EXCELLENT! :D

The Damned United, BBC2 - 21:00 tonight.

If you know a bit about Brian Clough, or you're missing the World Cup already, you should find this a very enjoyable watch. It works on a purely dramatic level too, though, being about the man's unshakeable self belief. A perfect Sunday night kind of film really - great acting, funny moments, and Johnny Giles. :D

"Gilesy! Gilesy was a great nun!"

As well as Zodiac tomorrow night(wednesday), Zathura: A Space Adventure directed by John Favreau is on Rte 2 tomorrow morning at 9 O'Clock. It's basically Jumanji in space, but its a lot of fun, and its hard to go wrong with Favreau. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

Just in case you hadn't noticed, More4 are showing the award-winning documentary "The Cove" tonight at 10pm

From the Channel4 site:
    "Louie Psihoyos' Oscar-winning documentary shows in chilling detail the illicit slaughter of dolphins at Taijia, a rural Japanese cove"

Should be worth a look.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

blastman wrote: »
    Just in case you hadn't noticed, More4 are showing the award-winning documentary "The Cove" tonight at 10pm

From the Channel4 site:
    "Louie Psihoyos' Oscar-winning documentary shows in chilling detail the illicit slaughter of dolphins at Taijia, a rural Japanese cove"

Should be worth a look.

Very powerful, disturbing and (strangely) exciting viewing, definitely recommended. It's rare that a documentary makes the blood boil as much as this one does!

Advertisement