Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STS-132 Atlantis 14/5/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Unfortunately i'll be out cold when she lands but i'll be watching in future,i'll need a fix!:pac:

Great footage of Soyuz leaving.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21838.0;attach=230388;image

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭ynotdu

lord lucan wrote: »
    Unfortunately i'll be out cold when she lands but i'll be watching in future,i'll need a fix!:pac:

:D:D:D

The undocking took place at 01.04 Irish time. Superb pictures from the ISS,which stayed live for a long time.Crew have been told they can have an hour to relax until they start preps for the de-orbit burn 75 minutes before it's due!

Boy does Soyuz depart in a hurry compared to a Shuttle!:)

This marked the end of Expedition23and the beginning of Expedition 24 to be joined in two weeks with the launch of another Soyuz bringing the crew of the ISS back up to six.The Awesome eclipse of the Moon as shown in LL,s pic is included!

NASA TV came back on air at 03.15 Irish time.
    Confirmation that the undocking was normal and both the ISS and Soyuz are fine.

Recovery helicopters (12 of them are already heading towards the planned landing area and will hover at the planned landing area)There are also helicopters and ground vehicles available in the event Soyuz goes off course due to an error during re-entry.

The de-orbit burn will slow Soyuz by 258 MPH:eek:(another indication of how diffrient shuttles and Soyuz's are!)

The burn that will last over four minutes has just started.

confirmation that the de-orbit burn was successfull @ 03.46 Irish time,and Mission control report no issues with trajecory

• Advertisement

The three modules that comprise a Soyuz have seperated,two burn up leaving no Space junk,So the Cosmonauts are now just in the tiny descent module with its heat shield.
    about 20 mins to touchdown as i type.

Confirmation that the Soyuz is on the ground lying on its side(not unusual,the Hugh chute if caught by wind pulls it over.

The confirmation of re-entry came first of all by a transponder on Soyuz'

A long wait to hear that recovery forces confirm they had spotted chute deploy, another wait to get confirmation that the craft touched down at 04.28 Irish time.

Their has been NO word from the crew since before re-entry,only Static,
    again that is only slightly unusual for Soyuz.

Live pictures of a crew safely returned to Earth now airing!:)
    They left Earth last December!:eek:

The boys are back in town!:)
    This crew have seen three shuttles arriave and depart at the ISS since they launched including of course Atlantis-132!

Photo taken of the touchdown by a NASA worker(the Cosmo/Astronauts were welcomed by a team from America and Russia that would put even the convoy to meet a returned Shuttle to shame!:D

160328main_060110c.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

ynotdu wrote: »
    Photo taken of the touchdown by a NASA worker(the Cosmo/Astronauts were welcomed by a team from America and Russia that would put even the convoy to meet a returned Shuttle to shame!:D

160328main_060110c.jpg
    Nice coverage of the return there ynotdu. With an early start at work I was tucked up in bed during it all. Like LL in the future I will have to follow the coverage live in order to get my "fix":D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

I was shocked at the amount of people that had no clue as to what went on once the shuttle launched. It obviously came up loads when I told people I went to see the launch and 90% asked what happened once they were up there. Told them they docked with ISS, most had no idea what that was and that there were people living on it.
    That is one thing that always shocks me. The public have no idea what the ISS is, they dont know where the Shuttle goes or if we are still walking on the moon. Rovers on Mars!:eek: since when??.... and spacecraft orbiting Saturn:eek:
    Space exploration is the greatest adventure we as a species have ever undertaken, it is the crowning glory of our tenure on this Planet, it is a testament to our soaring desire to know our place in the universe. Despite all this, it is largely ignored by the media and the public. It saddens me that now, we are at a time when we know more about the universe, and our place in it then any generation before us, but we ignore it and science gets bad press in general.
    Think of how many people are born, live and die, but never had any idea where they were!
    Rant over....Beeker puts kettle on and calms down:D

Beeker wrote: »
    That is one thing that always shocks me. The public have no idea what the ISS is, they dont know where the Shuttle goes or if we are still walking on the moon. Rovers on Mars!:eek: since when??.... and spacecraft orbiting Saturn:eek:
    Space exploration is the greatest adventure we as a species have ever undertaken, it is the crowning glory of our tenure on this Planet, it is a testament to our soaring desire to know our place in the universe. Despite all this, it is largely ignored by the media and the public. It saddens me that now, we are at a time when we know more about the universe, and our place in it then any generation before us, but we ignore it and science gets bad press in general.
    Think of how many people are born, live and die, but never had any idea where they were!
    Rant over....Beeker puts kettle on and calms down:D

Now that i think about it,it's a pity that NASA and it's international partners didn't make more use of Soichi's Twitter updates and pics. His photos from the ISS were amazing,the sort of stuff that should grab headlines but outside of his Twitter followers and some space sites they went largely ignored.

Likewise,there's lots of stuff on the L2 subscriber section of NASASpaceflight.com that's amazing and would be great publicity for NASA,such as the STS-115 re-entry video from the flightdeck. I think NASA feel like they don't need to publicise what they do but the benefits of doing that would be huge!

Now that i think about it,it's a pity that NASA and it's international partners didn't make more use of Soichi's Twitter updates and pics. His photos from the ISS were amazing,the sort of stuff that should grab headlines but outside of his Twitter followers and some space sites they went largely ignored.

Likewise,there's lots of stuff on the L2 subscriber section of NASASpaceflight.com that's amazing and would be great publicity for NASA,such as the STS-115 re-entry video from the flightdeck. I think NASA feel like they don't need to publicise what they do but the benefits of doing that would be huge!
    I agree. NASA never really got the PR thing right. Some within even fought against carrying cameras on the Apollo missions...can you imagine, what were they thinking:confused:
    The NASA website is also not very user friendly. Its a nightmare trying to get mission reports and good quality photos from the early STS flights.
    Time for NASA to wake up:)

They should stick Mike Massimino on the last Shuttle flight so he can just wander round with a camera and record everything in his own inimitable way. It'd make great tv!:D

They should stick Mike Massimino on the last Shuttle flight so he can just wander round with a camera and record everything in his own inimitable way. It'd make great tv!:D
    Damm right :D:D:D

Here's the tow back video that NASA were showing before the Soyuz undocking this morning,beautiful footage of Atlantis.:)

http://www.space-multimedia.nl.eu.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6036

STS-335.:D:D:D:D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21828.0;attach=230559;image

And Atlantis coming in to land. You can make out the PLT's orange Launch/Entry suit through the window.:D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21771.0;attach=230553;image

Mural of Atlantis that'll be mounted in the firing room. Chronicles all her flights over her 25 year career.

2010-3177-m.jpg

Talking about PR,i totally forgot about these. Ynotdu's mate is as funny as ever!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭eilejh

Those darned NASA employees are always smiling.

eilejh wrote: »
    Those darned NASA employees are always smiling.
    When you love your job!!:)

STS-335.:D:D:D:D

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=21828.0;attach=230559;image

Brilliant LL!:D:D:D,I will catch up on the Massimino Vids when I can.

Another gem lol....

Well, all I can say is this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsIubn5Pp6s
    about the Shuttles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Anyone ever come across photos of the pad after the launch? Wondering what damage, or if any damage is done by the acids and the forces.

Anyone ever come across photos of the pad after the launch? Wondering what damage, or if any damage is done by the acids and the forces.

Here's an article following STS-124 which had the most well known and documented damage following a launch. The flame trench needed a lot of work to replace tons of bricks that were blown off the walls as Discoverys SRB's ignited. The article links to another good thread with pics on CollectSpace.com.

http://dsc.discovery.com/space/my-take/nasa-bricks-launch-robert-pearlman.html

Mainly most damage after a launch is confined to some scorched grass and dead wildlife.

whatever becomes of these,i just thought what a sad sight for the workers now reduntant and Lovers of the STS programme.

460900main_image_1682_946-710.jpg

NASA Railroad transported the last space shuttle solid rocket booster segments over the Indian River on the 13-mile trip from the Jay Jay Rail Yard in Titusville, Fla., to NASA's Kennedy Space Center. Six cars transported the segments along the Florida East Coast Railway, which began at the ATK solid rocket booster plant in Promontory, Utah. The booster segments will be used for shuttle Atlantis on what currently is planned as the "launch on need," or potential rescue mission for the final shuttle flight, Endeavour's STS-134 mission.

p.s LL. I am still saving up the MM Vids :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Amazing photo here.

http://bit.ly/aUhLzM?r=td

• Advertisement

Amazing photo here.

http://bit.ly/aUhLzM?r=td

Great shot, nice find:)

Advertisement