Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Everybody can come into our liberal paradise - just don't go to their countries!

Options
  • 04-04-2010 11:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0404/dubai.html

Why are we tolerating the intolerant? Muslims can come here and do what they like in our fluffy and liberal country yet go to one of their countries and they are not so liberal. Meanwhile we put up with not only having to fork out dole and support but to listen to the protests against "the west" (presumably us aswell). Really if they have a problem or don't like it or us why don't they f*ck off home? They would clearly be more comfortable? This is a much bigger problem in Britain then here and sparks have been flying there for years. Sadly we learn nothing in this country because we are stupid and doomed to repeat the same mistakes. We are tolerating the intolerant, an intolerant religous fanatacism.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

So there are Muslims in Ireland protesting about people kissing each other in public?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

Because you should adapt to the culture that YOU go to.

Not try to push your western ideals on that culture.

If you don't like their culture, tough sh1t and don't o there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Because the western world has no back bone when it comes to Muslim countries.

We had sanctions againist White South Africa for human rights issues but yet we allow Muslim countries do as they please .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Durka durka.
    Bate some manners into em

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

Due to our country having no clear identity or backbone.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Because you should adapt to the culture that YOU go to.

Not try to push your western ideals on that culture.

If you don't like their culture, tough sh1t and don't o there.

And, eh, what about them pushing their ideals on us? The punishment is quite clear for secularism and openess is their countries.

darkman2 wrote: »
    And, eh, what about them pushing their ideals on us? The punishment is quite clear for secularism and openess is their countries.

Our ideals allow them to try to push their ideals on us, that doesn't mean we will fold.

So what if "their" countries have such punishments, do you want to see us go down that road?

OutlawPete wrote: »

We had sanctions againist White South Africa for human rights issues but yet we allow Muslim countries do as they please .

But aren't there all sorts of weird laws in America concerning sexual peccadilloes. Anal sex and blowjobs are illegal in some places there, I believe.
    Homosexuality was illegal here till not too recently.
    I'm sure the Muslims will catch up.
    One generation, I'd say.
    Leave them at it.
    Meanwhile the ones who come here, are welcome, imo, as long as they don't try to shove their morality down my throat. This applies to the likes of those Christian loons protesting at the Well-Woman clinics also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,633 ✭✭✭darkman2

Our ideals allow them to try to push their ideals on us, that doesn't mean we will fold.

So what if "their" countries have such punishments, do you want to see us go down that road?

I want us to stop being so naieve and stupid. Ask the Dutch. Within 5 years Muslims will hold the balance of power there. You have to wonder how liberal the Netherlands will be then.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

You're right darkman, the only way to beat the facists is to become bigger facists ourselves!

• Advertisement

I want us to stop being so naieve and stupid. Ask the Dutch. Within 5 years Muslims will hold the balance of power there. You have to wonder how liberal the Netherlands will be then.

How liberal is it getting now with Harry Potter in power here, at the minute??
    It's been going backwards, because of the Christian Right, for some time.

(see my location)

If, in my lifetime Sharia law has a valid claim at being introduced here, I will admit I was wrong, and in fact I will fight it.

But I don't think it will happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,267 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

We shouldn't allow women to be treated like dogs here in having to wear the hijab, make it illegal to wear dodgy clothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Because Muslims are right and everyone else is wrong, of course. Didn't you know that? When you're so fundamentally right in every way, you can lie to everyone else on the planet and treat them as you feel like doing, as long as it gets the desired result: more Islam. It's all for your own good, remember. We wouldn't be having these problems if everyone lived in one big happy ummah, would we? The ends justify the means. :rolleyes:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I think Ireland was great ... but we sold out our tourists who in some US magazines said one might as well to to Latvia, Estonia or Poland as it is cheaper and the Irish Culture is gone.

That hits the tourist industry in the pocket.

In Muslim countries, one HAS to obey Muslim laws ... Irish nurses have been threatened with decapitation, stoning and amputation after they wandered off their campus in a drunken or otherwise distressed state of scanty dress ~ think like a Muslim now.

We watched women being beheaded on TV for a crime that would merely have divorce lawyers here happy for months.

Muslims living here do not necessarily have to have to live by our laws, what many of them say could be construed as treason and blasphemy. We are officially a Christian State and if I were in a Muslim country today, saying this, I'd just disappear.

Now, there are moderate Muslims who believe in much the same way as many Christians .. but you won't hear from them as it breaks another Muslim command ... which is why the Muslim leader in Ireland's recent statement was so profound.

We shouldn't allow women to be treated like dogs here in having to wear the hijab, make it illegal to wear dodgy clothing.

I assume nuns would not be permitted to wear a habit in public if we ban the hajib?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    blowjobs are illegal in some places there, I believe.

oh my fcuking god.

But aren't there all sorts of weird laws in America concerning sexual peccadilloes. Anal sex and blowjobs are illegal in some places there, I believe.
    Homosexuality was illegal here till not too recently.
    I'm sure the Muslims will catch up.
    One generation, I'd say.
    Leave them at it.
    Meanwhile the ones who come here, are welcome, imo, as long as they don't try to shove their morality down my throat. This applies to the likes of those Christian loons protesting at the Well-Woman clinics also.

You have a point if you just focus on Dubai but the OP then expands the post and talks about Muslims in general.

My post was really more about the crap that goes on in Muslim countries and yet the western world does not have the same response that they would have for instance if that country committing the same human rights atrocities was a white christian country.

Not just Muslim countries though, I feel the same about our reaction to Rwanda.

Some people feel we should not Police the world, I disagree - we have to, otherwise we don't have a world.

What also amazes me is people who say let them do what they want, it's there country and yet then has no problem with them coming and living here in their thousands. The two simply cannot go hand in hand in my opinion.

genericguy wrote: »
    oh my fcuking god.

http://novelspot.net/node/1581

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Because the power-structure at the top of the social pyramid would rather have the rest of us fighting with each and worrying about media exagerated problems created by our "enemies" (whether it be crime caused by ethnic minorities, the unending wave of terrorism, or even reds in the bed, ). Whilst we're spending our time doing that we have no wishes to go after those at the top who keep us in capitalist slavery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

Eh. South Africa didn't have anything anyone needed/wanted tough. It was easy to have 'sanctions' because there were no trading repercussions.

Muslim countries is where most of our oil comes from. Oil currently gives us heat, transport, most of our goods (plastic being primarily petroleum derived), food (modern fertilizer being primarily petroleum derived), etc.

Same as you won't see real sanctions on China, because everyone wants their cheap clothes/electronic goods/etc.

You have a point if you just focus on Dubai but the OP then expands the post and talks about Muslims in general.

My post was really more about the crap that goes on in Muslim countries and yet the western world does not have the same response that they would have for instance if that country committing the same human rights atrocities was a white christian country.

Not just Muslim countries though, I feel the same about our reaction to Rwanda.

Some people feel we should not Police the world, I disagree - we have to, otherwise we don't have a world.

What also amazes me is people who say let them do what they want, it's there country and yet then has no problem with them coming and living here in their thousands. The two simply cannot go hand in hand in my opinion.

Nor do they protest about the Israelis or Chines or whoever, cause that's business.
    Getting away from the point.
    The OP started a rant about Muslims here ho want to impose their morality on us, then the thread just descends into another general Muslim bashing thread, which will continue long after this post.
    Which Muslims here want to impose their morality on us?
    The lone nut from MPAC and his handful of supporters?
    This reflects on the 20,000 or so Muslims who do live here and who do generally integrate well with Irish society??

Nor do they protest about the Israelis or Chines or whoever, cause that's business.

There's far more protests and digust against China / Burma etc

You can go on TV and slate Burma for instance an you will be a hero.

You say complain about human rights issues in a Muslim or Black country and people start looking at you as if you are a racist.

I hate pointless rants about Muslims as much as you but we have to be able to express our disgust at human rights issues.
    Which Muslims here want to impose their morality on us?

I don't agree with them on that point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0404/dubai.html

Why are we tolerating the intolerant? Muslims can come here and do what they like in our fluffy and liberal country yet go to one of their countries and they are not so liberal. Meanwhile we put up with not only having to fork out dole and support but to listen to the protests against "the west" (presumably us aswell). Really if they have a problem or don't like it or us why don't they f*ck off home? They would clearly be more comfortable? This is a much bigger problem in Britain then here and sparks have been flying there for years. Sadly we learn nothing in this country because we are stupid and doomed to repeat the same mistakes. We are tolerating the intolerant, an intolerant religous fanatacism.

'Them people over thar done somethin!!!! Lets take it out on some people here!!!!!'

There's far more protests and digust against China / Burma etc
    Because,Tibet and Burma are the cause celebres and Muslims the scapegoats du jour.

I hate pointless rants about Muslims as much as you but we have to be able to express our disgust at human rights issues.
    Of course we can. Protest away. And there will be plenty of Muslims all over the world as disgusted by this story as much as we are.

It's the lumping of people in one pot, that always gets my goat, be they Muslims, Jews, Blacks, Women...whatever.
    It's just fucking ignorance, basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Meh!

Some jealous singleton saw red when she saw a couple kissing. We have the same cúnts here, they just don't have the law on their side:rolleyes:

Because,Tibet and Burma are the cause celebres and Muslims the scapegoats du jour.

In fairness, Muslims countries are not just scapegoats.

They regularly hand out barbaric punishments for minor crimes such as girls getting pregnant out of wedlock.
    Of course we can. Protest away. And there will be plenty of Muslims all over the world as disgusted by this story as much as we are.

There is far different reaction globally when someone criticizes Islamic countries than any others. Even Amnesty International got heat of Muslim organizations for daring to say that executing women by stoning was barbaric.

There is a sense that people should just keep their mouths shut on these issues just because they are Muslim countries.

If this was Australians doing this things, do you not think there would be far more of an outrage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Elevator

I think we should definately take australias line on this subject

http://hubpages.com/hub/AUSTRALIAN-PRIME-MINISTER-TELL-MUSLIMSTAKE-IT-OR-LEAVE

They regularly hand out barbaric punishments for minor crimes such as girls getting pregnant out of wedlock.

There is far different reaction globally when someone criticizes Islamic countries than any others. Even Amnesty International got heat of Muslim organizations for daring to say that executing women by stoning was barbaric.

There is a sense that people should just keep their mouths shut on these issues just because they are Muslim countries.

I've no argument with what you're saying. These things go on in Muslim countries, yes. And it's terrible, yes. And it needs to be said, yes.
    Just don't colour all Muslims with the same paintbrush.

If this was Australians doing this things, do you not think there would be far more of an outrage?
    Like we regularly protest about their treatment of the Aborigines and the way they treat immigrant arrivals by locking them up and abusing them in camps in the desert??

• Advertisement

Just don't colour all Muslims with the same paintbrush.

I don't.

I posted many times of how barbaric Guantanamo Bay was and I would never treat or expect Muslims in our country to be treated with anything other than the utmost respect.

My comments are directed at this countries regimes, not the people who go about their daily lives as immigrants throughout the world that come from these countries.

Advertisement