Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Franks RedHot Sauce

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭JAMM222

Missus JAMM222 bought me some Franks for valentines day, easily the best present i have ever gotten, couldnt fin the stuff anywhere. I put together a recipe for crispy wings and it can be viewed here http://jamm222.blogspot.com/
    enjoy!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I cannot believe there are so many post about a sauce. Must try this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Can anyone tell me a shop that has Franks Sauce in stock at the minute (Dublin thanks).Doin a "dinner party" on wednesday for friends who are serious lovers of E&Cs wings and would love to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I must try this sauce! From all previous replies, it seems to be stocked in Dunnes Stores, Charlestown, maybe Ongar, and I guess the larger Superquinns? I'll have a look. The wings sound like good drinking food!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

What's the Scoville on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭moany

they have it in the Fresh supermarket in Balgriffin on the Malahide road on the Butcher counter.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

anniehoo wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me a shop that has Franks Sauce in stock at the minute (Dublin thanks).Doin a "dinner party" on wednesday for friends who are serious lovers of E&Cs wings and would love to do this.

All Superquinns have it in stock at the moment.
    Had some wings with cool crisp beer yesterday. perfect together

• Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

What's the Scoville on it?

http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

A paltry 450 according to the above link.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

lindtee wrote: »
    http://www.chilliworld.com/FactFile/Scoville_Scale.asp

A paltry 450 according to the above link.:rolleyes:
    I thought I could handle hot stuff but my hottest sauce is Dave's insanity sauce, which I thought was badass as it could ruin food with just a few drops, but your link says its only 180 000

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    it could ruin food with just a few drops
    Exactly why I like franks being so weak, it is hard to go wrong with it, you can add loads and properly taste it, not like the other ones which are more like adding a chemical just to make it hot, its sort of like comparing vodka to beer.

The most readily available on that list is probably 7,000 - 8,000 TABASCO® brand Habanero Pepper Sauce. I got it but much prefer franks, all the tabasco does is add heat, feck all flavour as you can only add so many drops to get the same level of hotness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭lindtee

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    I thought I could handle hot stuff but my hottest sauce is Dave's insanity sauce, which I thought was badass as it could ruin food with just a few drops, but your link says its only 180000

Just noticed that they ship world wide from that site, think I'm going to put in an order for something very hot :) A guide to delivery prices here - http://www.chilliworld.com/help_desk/delivery_charges.asp.

They have Franks original and Franks Red Hot for anyone who is having trouble sourcing it here. http://www.chilliworld.com/search/search_results.asp?SSearch=franks&serach_link=Q&Submit=Find+Products&offset=0

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

it was definitely in Superquinn Blackrock on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

Saw it in Dunnes in Arklow a few days ago. Not on special though.
    Will have to grab a bottle along with Ainsley's 'Liquid Smoke' spray (called something else though). Both together would be pure heaven!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I don't know if it's been mentioned but Eddie Rocket's have incorporated it into a few items on their menu now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I'm intrigued people, tell me, are they better than the elephant castle's wings with blue cheese dip? I'm sure it's probably come up somewhere in the previous 20 odd pages, but I can't check them all out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

half price in superquinn bought 4 bottles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

half price in superquinn bought 4 bottles

Aye... picked up 4 bottles in Superquinn Kilkenny today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Glenbhoy wrote: »
    I'm intrigued people, tell me, are they better than the elephant castle's wings with blue cheese dip? I'm sure it's probably come up somewhere in the previous 20 odd pages, but I can't check them all out!
    the elephant and castle chicken wings are actually made with franks. ;)

the longest running thread (other than the restaurant reviews) in the food and drink forum is the E&C chicken wings thread. if you read it from the start, nobody actually knew the secret for ages and you couldn't get franks in ireland so there was no way to reproduce it.

if you check out the franks website, you'll see that it's the main ingredient in the original buffalo wings (buffalo new york, not buffalo as in big hairy cows) which have been going for about 45 years and have been served all over the US since the 60's and 70's.

that said, the last time i had them in E&C i think they were using sparrows wings because they were miniscule. :p

the minute the "secret sauce" was out in the public domain, you could get it everywhere and I think I've eaten them in about 20 different places at this stage, some good and some very very bad when it's not done correctly.

i know they're both pretty long at this stage, if you read this thread and the one in the F&D forum and you'll have all the info you need to make perfect wings every time and you'll be amazed how easy it really is.

vibe666 wrote: »
    the elephant and castle chicken wings are actually made with franks. ;)

the longest running thread (other than the restaurant reviews) in the food and drink forum is the E&C chicken wings thread. if you read it from the start, nobody actually knew the secret for ages and you couldn't get franks in ireland so there was no way to reproduce it.

if you check out the franks website, you'll see that it's the main ingredient in the original buffalo wings (buffalo new york, not buffalo as in big hairy cows) which have been going for about 45 years and have been served all over the US since the 60's and 70's.

that said, the last time i had them in E&C i think they were using sparrows wings because they were miniscule. :p

the minute the "secret sauce" was out in the public domain, you could get it everywhere and I think I've eaten them in about 20 different places at this stage, some good and some very very bad when it's not done correctly.

i know they're both pretty long at this stage, if you read this thread and the one in the F&D forum and you'll have all the info you need to make perfect wings every time and you'll be amazed how easy it really is.

many thanks.

anniehoo wrote: »
    There were plenty of supplies on Saturday 13/3 in:

Dunnes, Charlestown (€2.99 per bottle)

Superquinn, Blanch (same price)

Out of stock in Dunnes, Blanch. If anyone sees that Dunnes in Blanch have re-stocked, please let us know?

I also checked Dunnes in Henry St. & Dunnes in Stephens Green - nothing there. Does anyone know if it is stocked anywhere reasonably near the city centre, Dublin 1, 2, 7, 8?

I'm converted, had the wings on Saturday night & they were great! They will definitely be on the menu very often.

Thank you Dunnes Stores, Charlestown!!!

• Advertisement

There was plenty in dunnes cournelscourt in case anybody else is trying to find it. Full price though 2.99

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭mloc

I've recently even seen it in the Centra on UCD campus. Lucky students.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

are we talking about Frank's Hot Sauce or The Real Frank's Hot Sauce (ie. Frank and Theresa's Buffalo Wing Sauce).

Franks - http://www.franksredhot.com/

The Original Franks - http://www.anchorbar.com/

"Franks's" has bigger production but is in no way linked to the Original Frank and Theresa's.

I have both, and I can tell you Frank & Theresa's is alot nicer!

Frank's Hot Sauce

Just picked up my first bottle there today in Dunne's Walkinstown, plenty left for everybody!!
    Just one query, what's the Frank's Buffalo Wings sauce like? It was €3.59 per bottle as opposed to €2.99 for the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,555 ✭✭✭SteM

I also checked Dunnes in Henry St. & Dunnes in Stephens Green - nothing there. Does anyone know if it is stocked anywhere reasonably near the city centre, Dublin 1, 2, 7, 8?

They have loads in Fresh down by Hanover Quay. Saw it today but it was expensive - €3.49 for a bottle I think

are we talking about Frank's Hot Sauce or The Real Frank's Hot Sauce (ie. Frank and Theresa's Buffalo Wing Sauce).

Franks - http://www.franksredhot.com/

The Original Franks - http://www.anchorbar.com/

"Franks's" has bigger production but is in no way linked to the Original Frank and Theresa's.

I have both, and I can tell you Frank & Theresa's is alot nicer!
    everyone except the anchor bar says that Frank's hot sauce is the secret ingredient in the original anchor bar wings, inc. wikipedia and the franks website itself. i doubt that they would still have that information up if it wasn't true.

i'm not surprised that the anchor bar is trying to distance themselves from franks though now that the secret is out, i'm sure they're just trying to protect their franchise.

everyone know's that the anchor bar is where it started and that Frank and Theresa came up with the original idea, but they owned a bar/restaurant at the time, not a hot sauce factory (unlike frank's frank) and only started making their own branded hot sauce after it all took off, unlike franks hot sauce which had been going for decades before buffalo wings were thought up.

i trust you that it tastes better to you than franks and i'm sure they've tweaked the crap out of it to distance themselves as much as possible, but unless every internet resource out there is wrong, i firmly believe that franks hot sauce is the secret ingredient.

but tbh, since you asked what sauce we were talking about in a thread titled "Groceries: Franks RedHot Sauce" i'm pretty sure you're just looking for someone to disagree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭del88

What's all this talk about Frank's Hot Sauce.....just noticed there's 320 odd post about it and 30,000 odd views....i'm going to have to get myself some tomorrow.....:p

vibe666 wrote: »
    but tbh, since you asked what sauce we were talking about in a thread titled "Groceries: Franks RedHot Sauce" i'm pretty sure you're just looking for someone to disagree with you.
    Yes, the feigned ignorance is more than obvious, a slow-witted monkey could figure out which sauce was being discussed.

Franks is the "real" and "original" sauce, it is named after a guys surname and was out decades before that guy (coincidentally called frank) made his wings.

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    Yes, the feigned ignorance is more than obvious, a slow-witted monkey could figure out which sauce was being discussed.

Franks is the "real" and "original" sauce, it is named after a guys surname and was out decades before that guy (coincidentally called frank) made his wings.
    yup indeedy. ;)

Advertisement