Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplements

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Chubbcakes

Friend of mine wants to lose weight and wants to use protein shakes as part of her diet (whilst using weights to lose the fat) can anyone recommend a good, tasty protein drink and best way for her to use ? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

Chubbcakes wrote: »
    Friend of mine wants to lose weight and wants to use protein shakes as part of her diet (whilst using weights to lose the fat) can anyone recommend a good, tasty protein drink and best way for her to use ? Thanks

unless there is some VERY good reason why she cant get enough protein from whole food and considering she is trying to lose weight then i dont see any place for protein shakes, opinions will differ thou!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

A protein will not make you lose weight. In fact, it will be probably harder to lose weight as you're taking the calories in as a liquid and therefore they will not suppress your appetite like a solid would.

A protein drink is a meal supplement, not a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Protein drinks only work if drunk instead of high calories meals or snacks.

If she has a diet which is normally low in protein (and a lot of women do, they are trying so hard to stay low fat that they also miss out on protein) then a shake can help. If she's trying to lose weight, then they needs one which is not padded out with extra carbs, so something like the ON whey should be good. I recently bought a box of lots of different flavoured sachets and I'm having fun working through them.

Casein tends to fill you up for longer, and if you reduce the amount of liquid a bit, you can mix it to a pudding texture and eat it with a spoon, which is more satisfying then drinking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭waterford1988

Thinking of starting onCreatine in the next month or so. Now I have read that it causes hair loss and was wondering has anyone experienced side effects from taking creatine.

I know that you are supposed to take it for 3 months then come off it for a few months then go back on it. Are the gains from taking this stuff really worthwhile?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭marko91

corkcomp wrote: »
    im always banging on about that, to the annoyance of many:P not knocking eggs but you need to eat 5 whole eggs to get the same protein as a tin of tuna so while they are a good protein source, there are better sources
    ?

really?..i allways taught eggs were full of protein, glad i enjoy a tuna sandwich morethan eggs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Hair loss? Not so I've noticed, (tossing my tumbling mane over my shoulder).

Honestly, that's a completely new one, and not one I've come across in any of my research on creatine.

In general, creatine is an excellent supplement for those who respond to it (not everyone does). It improves endurance and strenght, can boost bone density, prevent muscle loss after injury, compensate for lack of sleep, all sorts of good stuff.

The down side is that it may cause some water retention, though not enough to cause problems. That's about it.

Ideally take it before or after a workout, with a small amount of carbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Roper

Thinking of starting onCreatine in the next month or so. Now I have read that it causes hair loss and was wondering has anyone experienced side effects from taking creatine.
    Well I'm not any balder from using it, though I'm a bad example.
    I know that you are supposed to take it for 3 months then come off it for a few months then go back on it. Are the gains from taking this stuff really worthwhile?
    No, you don't cycle creatine. That's a myth that comes from an erroneous association with steroids.

Creatine can work or not work.You may not respond to it the way some people would, but the effects can be good if you respond. The only question marks around it would be if you had diabetes, a kidney or liver problem or are just plain weak. In any of these cases it would be stupid to take creatine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Racy

Velocity Diet if she's brave/stupid enough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Sangre wrote: »
    A protein drink is a meal supplement, not a replacement.
    I thought using a protein shake as a meal replacement during fat loss was a common thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

sorry to go OT, but i'm currently on nutrisport90+(300g/dy) and Bcaa(18tabs/day) and i'm wondering if i added reflex creapure creatine to my supplements would it do any good? I'm currently doing 531Boring But Big, had to start cardio due to work. Legs aren't in great shape at the minute. Any help/advice appreciated. Not looking to go on creapure long term one or two tubs whilst my body gets used to the re-intro of cardio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭InKonspikuou2

I tried it for over 2.5 months before. It didn't really made me any bigger but i did appear to look bigger due to the water retention. In the beginning i felt i had more energy and strength while in the gym but it didn't continue the whole course. Different people have different stories of it so give it a try if your only concern is the repercussions. You won't lose your hair. Maybe just a few liters from pissing so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭chrussell

Hi, I'm training for a marathon at the end of may. I'm pretty much training (either cardio or weight lifting) everyday. Just curious if anyone knows of any supplements that will help with my training, also ones that will help me slim and tone at the same time... any help would be much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

unreggd wrote: »
    I thought using a protein shake as a meal replacement during fat loss was a common thing?

What would be the point??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

eat whole food instead itl fill her up! 5/6 meals a day!

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

Firstly get your food right, supplements are exactly that, something extra to add to what should be your already good diet.

anyway id recommend some basic whey protein also maybe a endurance/recovery type pre or post work out shake something like axis labs slingshot is aimed at marathon runners and endurance evens.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/axis/slingshot.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Currently using maximuscle progain extreme but have done a bit of digging around and it seems it's useless. What would you guys recommend that would bring similar results to what it claims to give? i.e gaining size and mass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭testing_times

Guys,
    From reading posts and general internet info I get that I should take any supplement in the morning and after work out or in the afternoon.
    My question is :
    Should I also take the same supplement in the morning and afternoon on rest days or should it only be used in conjunction with workouts?/

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

Sangre wrote: »
    myprotein.co.uk has a great selection at great prices. All with analysised certificates of contents. Basically the contents are the same with the fancy branding.

Code in my sig gets you a 5% discount too.

would that be an ad? while simultaneously not answering the OP's question....

double fail

Sangre, I think QVC are looking some products to fill the 3:08 -3:12 slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Currently using maximuscle progain extreme but have done a bit of digging around and it seems it's useless. What would you guys recommend that would bring similar results to what it claims to give? i.e gaining size and mass.
    I would suggest lots of good food, a good training regime and lots of rest. maximuscle progain extreme is not useless, its just really expensive.

Frank, myprotein.co.uk has a great selection at great prices. All with analysised certificates of contents. Basically the contents are the same without the fancy branding.

Code in my sig gets you a 5% discount too.

Apologies, mixed this thread up with the last post on the supplements thread. Both were referring to maximuscle. Other guy was looking for a cheaper alternative.

In answer to your question, it depends on your goals! Although, if your diet is solid you wouldn't need to take one every day.I only take whey directly after my workouts, along with a banana. So thats four times a week.

Goals.
    Weight loss & build muscle.
    Will get to the gym 4-5 time a week.
    Diet is quite good, lots of chicken, brown rice/brown pasta & plenty of fruit & veg.
    So perhaps 1 shake 10-15 mins after work out rather than 3 times every day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

+1 Esse85 Progain is a good product and a great gainer but the price tag is too hefty for moi!

If you're trying to lose/maintain weight and aren't bulking up then after your workout with some fast-acting carbs should suffice.

If you're trying to lose weight you might be best sticking to whole foods as they'll fill you up more. Losing BF and gaining muslces aren't the easiest goals to reconcile.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

all the stuff i ordered from my protein arrived today.
    the banana cream whey is savage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I used to feel a bit bloated from taking creatine monohydrate.
    should have just drank more water.

am taking Kre Alkalyn creatine now and am finding it good.

be sure to drink 2-3 litres of water a day when taking it an you'll be fine.

the hair loss thing is BS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭newby.204

(this is also posted in supps thread but nobody answered me)

sorry to go OT, but i'm currently on nutrisport90+(300g/dy) and Bcaa(18tabs/day) and i'm wondering if i added reflex creapure creatine to my supplements would it do any good? I'm currently doing 531Boring But Big, had to start cardio due to work. Legs aren't in great shape at the minute. Any help/advice appreciated. Not looking to go on creapure long term one or two tubs whilst my body gets used to the re-intro of cardio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

People usually lift weights after puberty; same goes for people who lose their hair.I doubt both are linked to one another.I'd say it's just a case of sharing the same time frame.

Advertisement