Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭kaiser soza

Might be time to set up a taxi pool with anyone in the same areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭ScissorPaperRock

mp3guy wrote: »
    What do you mean this weather?

Probably means the freezing, and you know, all the ice.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Xxhaylsxx

And maybe just all the snow :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭LeixlipRed

If the exams do go ahead people should be forewarned that not being able to make it due to weather related excuses won't cut it. You'll still have to repeat.

would probably help those who dont live in Maynooth if they put the exams back a week would also rock with more time to study!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

Just out of interest...

If someone genuinely cannot make it to their exam(s) and so has to repeat in the summer... does anyone know what the marking penalty is? Does it differ per department?

I'm assuming if the reason was illness rather than transport, there'd be no penalty?

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

As far as I know there is no penalty for repeating exams, at least in every year except final year where I think there's some sort of cap on the grade you can receive.

Also you can only repeat a certain number of exams, and no continuous assessments. I had to resit an exam once because I was sick which was lame but there was no penalty you just have to pay a lot to resit each exam.

Repeats suck.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Just out of interest...

If someone genuinely cannot make it to their exam(s) and so has to repeat in the summer... does anyone know what the marking penalty is? Does it differ per department?

I'm assuming if the reason was illness rather than transport, there'd be no penalty?

doesnt it cost money to repeat a module!?

What do you mean penalty? There's no penalty for having to repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alexi_mcg

I phoned the examination office who say that exams are definately going ahead as planned. I asked if there would be a penalty for repeating as I'm in final year, she said that I can repeat up to 15 credits (for me that's 3 exams) and still get an honours degree, but any more than that and I can't. Also if you have to repeat you don't graduate til Oct.

• Advertisement

alexi_mcg wrote: »
    I phoned the examination office who say that exams are definately going ahead as planned. I asked if there would be a penalty for repeating as I'm in final year, she said that I can repeat up to 15 credits (for me that's 3 exams) and still get an honours degree, but any more than that and I can't. Also if you have to repeat you don't graduate til Oct.

anything about it costing money? My friend in UCD said it cost him so much to repeat a module but that was several years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭leopoldbloom

It's something like €50 per module to a maximum of €200.

LeixlipRed wrote: »
    What do you mean penalty? There's no penalty for having to repeat.
    Oh. I thought if you failed, or didn't have a valid excuse for missing/failing your exam, like some sort of illness... that there'd be some penalty in the marks for your repeats. As in, that there might be an upper limit to the mark allowed. I should say I got this impression from the English department site last year, said something about repeat essay marks being capped at 40 or 50%. I just assumed there'd be a similar set up for written exams. I mean it made sense to me... otherwise there's the potential for people to deliberately fail something they're not doing particularly well in, for the opportunity to have three months study time for a full-marked repeat exam. Doesn't seem fair in certain circumstances... like say classes where there's competition for places, like first year Psychology etc. (are there any others?)

Anyway I don't know... I just assumed that if you weren't verifiably sick there'd be a penalty in your repeat exam marks.

If you miss exams in final year due to this weather you will have to repeat but they'll waive the 15 credit restriction. They're tough but fair, so no one panic!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Devia

As far as I know your mark is capped at 50% in repeats if you failed the subject or didn't have a legitimate reason for missing it. At least that used to be the case..

I think they cost around €50 per module. Again, that could have changed since I last checked.

EDIT:

Yeah they have raised the price:
    The fee to repeat 1,2 or 3 modules is €60 per module, irrespective of the method of assessment. A fee of €240 is payable when there are 4 or more modules to repeat.

mickstupp wrote: »
    Oh. I thought if you failed, or didn't have a valid excuse for missing/failing your exam, like some sort of illness... that there'd be some penalty in the marks for your repeats. As in, that there might be an upper limit to the mark allowed. I should say I got this impression from the English department site last year, said something about repeat essay marks being capped at 40 or 50%. I just assumed there'd be a similar set up for written exams. I mean it made sense to me... otherwise there's the potential for people to deliberately fail something they're not doing particularly well in, for the opportunity to have three months study time for a full-marked repeat exam. Doesn't seem fair in certain circumstances... like say classes where there's competition for places, like first year Psychology etc. (are there any others?)

Anyway I don't know... I just assumed that if you weren't verifiably sick there'd be a penalty in your repeat exam marks.

There is no "valid" excuse for missing exams (I don't mean this in the sense that you can't miss exams for valid reasons, just in terms of the rules). Only in exceptional circumstances to they even care about the excuse. You sit the exam or you don't and hence you repeat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

People have various reasons for repeating. I honestly don't know the process, but I do believe that if you have no good reason for doing it, then you should be capped.

Bleh, mildly drunken opinion, ignore me.

If I tell you you need a good reason to repeat what will you do? Make one up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

If I tell you you need a good reason to repeat what will you do? Make one up.

The man has a point! Still, it requires proof. I'm repeating 3rd year for an illness and I had to provide (as anyone who saw the thread will remember!) a plethora of stuff: sick notes, dates of doctor visits, all my various blood test results, etc. Though I know a few lads who got away with ''I'm, like, soooo depressed''.

I know of one guy who started 2nd year on the full grant and dedcided at the start of the year: ''Right. I'll piss away this year havin' the craic and get it again for free next year''. He went into his exams and wrote sad songs. And they called him. He didn't even have to make a case.

Devia wrote: »
    As far as I know your mark is capped at 50% in repeats if you failed the subject or didn't have a legitimate reason for missing it. At least that used to be the case..
    Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Sweet, essay extensions for my year! I love you, college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Duddy

My brother in LYIT has his exams postponed - no fair:(

Its a bit strange that they didn't postpone ours, the schools are closed... I mean, most students don't have a soccer-mom vehicle at their disposal!:D

Schools are closed for many reasons, burst pipes, parents unable to get children there, teachers unable to get in. A lot of the schools in the area aren't as accessible as the college, nor will we be sitting in a freezing cold classroom from 9am-4pm. Poor kids, unable to cope with these ARCTIC WEATHER CONDITIONS (I'm watching the news..)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Schools are closed for many reasons, burst pipes, parents unable to get children there, teachers unable to get in. A lot of the schools in the area aren't as accessible as the college, nor will we be sitting in a freezing cold classroom from 9am-4pm. Poor kids, unable to cope with these ARCTIC WEATHER CONDITIONS (I'm watching the news..)

Current temp in the arctic? -35 degrees. :rolleyes: rte exaggerate so much its unreal.

Boards.ie... procrastination be thy name.

I need to turn off this computer.

Haha! I know, was cracking up. Gonna paint my dog white and claim he's a polar bear. Will you be my penguin?

Funky penguin. Paging Funky Penguin

Where is he? :(

I heard a kid went to school in the snow once and died. But he was eaten by a fox. A snow fox! But that fox had escaped from a zoo. But the the fence in the zoo was damaged by snow fall. Snow fall from a fake snow machine. The snow machine was brought to Ireland by a eskimo. An eskimo who emigrated to California when he was six...

• Advertisement

I heard a kid went to school in the snow once and died. But he was eaten by a fox. A snow fox! But that fox had escaped from a zoo. But the the fence in the zoo was damaged by snow fall. Snow fall from a fake snow machine. The snow machine was brought to Ireland by a eskimo. An eskimo who emigrated to California when he was six...

Jesus, what're the chances? Very sad altogether.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement