Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sexual assault...but sure he's a nice lad..Mod Warning Post 275

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Trankton

So now a sip from a Black Russian makes her pass out??

Rohypnol???

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Okay, we are not trying to pick apart the case itself.

He was found guilty by a judge and a jury, and this thread is to discuss the impact on the victim, not try and find out was he guilty or not.

I probably get slated for saying this but this case doesn't seem as black and white as some people are making it out to be.

[URL] http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/how-birthday-hug-turned-into-an-unforgivable-act-1980576.html [/URL]

Two of her freinds say she wasn't drunk.

So what if she was or she wasn't? She didn't deserve what happened either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Trankton wrote: »
    Rohypnol???

Pretty sure she would have been tested for this in the hospital.

He was found guilty by a judge and a jury, and this thread is to discuss the impact on the victim, not try and find out was he guilty or not.

Fair enough but I think in the context of this discussion whatever he was guilty or not is very important! I leave it at that.

Pretty sure she would have been tested for this in the hospital.

Correct, and there was no mention of it in any of the reports to my recollection, so people, please avoid accusations like this.

Fair enough but I think in the context of this discussion whatever he was guilty or not is very important! I leave it at that.

The case is over and he has been convicted and sentenced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I probably get slated for saying this but this case doesn't seem as black and white as some people are making it out to be.

[URL] http://www.independent.ie/opinion/analysis/how-birthday-hug-turned-into-an-unforgivable-act-1980576.html [/URL]

You can't just start picking bits and pieces from what was said and what wasn't said in the case as you don't have all the evidence at hand. That's what the courts are for. I'm not saying that that there isn't a possibility that he was wrongly accused but you have to trust the court's decision, if not, well then you might as well release everybody in prison.

It only says that she felt sick after taking a sip from the Black Russian, it doesn't say that the Black Russian caused it. It could've been the gazillion drinks beforehand that made her hammered but the time she felt hammered was just after the sip. But again, this is all just conjecture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

panda100 wrote: »
    As I said yesterday, I am from near Listowel and have many relatives from the area. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush...
    Sure you can! And people do all the time.

Ok, you seem to have missed my point. I'm not saying it's right, I'm only pointing out what actually happens. People will see Listowel in a very negative light in lue of this. To think that won't happen, is every bit as naive as the "friends who only wanted to show support".
    What I’m saying is that a gesture, such as I suggested, would send a very strong and positive message, as well as helping out people enormously.

Surely you can appricate that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

I think she is more likely to know whether or not she was drunk.

He said he found her there. The CCTV camera footage showed him carrying her there. He then changed his mind and said it was consensual. The cops found her unconscious with him kneeling over her.

It sounds about as open and shut as I've ever heard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Hrududu wrote: »
    The cops found her unconscious with him kneeling over her.

She was unconscious and naked from the waist down, he was kneeling over her with his penis out. He said he found her, which was disproved by CCTV, he then said actually she was willingly giving him oral sex despite the fact that she was unconscious. So it's actually even that bit more open and shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Silverfish wrote: »
    So what if she was or she wasn't? She didn't deserve what happened either way.

Of couse she didn't deserve to be sexually assulted. From what I have read in the Indo however she made the case that she was so drunk that she passed out hence I made the point.

Hrududu wrote: »
    The cops found her unconscious.

No they didn't
    Garda John White told the court he and a colleague had come upon Foley and the woman in the car park at around 3.50am while on routine patrol. Gda White said Foley had been kneeling over the woman, who was naked from the waist down and semi-conscious. He said her eyes had been closed and her head had been rolling from left to right and she had been mumbling.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭j1974

dearg lady wrote: »
    I know this is a very emotive subject for both sexes, and it comes up often, but when I saw this article, I just couldn't believe it

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2009/1217/1224260840003.html

I didn't think this kind of thing still went on, that the victim gets judged more than the perpetrator of the crime! All I can say is fair play to her for going through with the case, knowing full well people would talk.

ive said it before, if that was cecilia aherne on a hens night, it would be all over prime time, the news, the daily spreads for months and chances are, he would get 10-15 years. But alas, it's not, it was "some wan", so her anonymity wasn't resepcted, his admirers weren't shamed, the whole event wasn't nearly exposed enough for what it was, shameful!!!

I remember one day driving by a news stand and seeing the front page in huge bold print "TD's wife has bag snatched whilst shopping in town".... what a bloody joke, how many people were attacked, brutalised or killed that day, bloody TD's wife. We should be annoyed more than she, after all it was most likely our money that she was going to spend that day in the hair dressers anyway.

The media have more of a responsibilty than to limit themselves to talking down the economy, stick the real day to day misery and injustice that goes on i ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

The friends said she wasn't drunk at 2am, they were found in the car park at 3.50am, plenty of time to get drunk.

And besides, one shot can be enough to push you over the edge if you've been drinking something else all night. It's happened me on several occassions !

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ehhhh did this pass being noticed? Lets quit the conjecture at this point please. Any issues are for appeal lawyers to work out. End of.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

Who cares if she was drunk or not?

Who cares whether she slept with half the men in Listowel?

Who cares if she kissed this guy, or 50 guys that night?

It does not matter. He has no right to assault her.

I don't think it matters. I don't think we should be speculating on how drunk she was at all, had she been twisted, or sober, he was still at fault.

If you want to debate on how many drinks she had and how that somehow would change the outcome of the trial, I think this is the wrong forum to post in, there are threads in several others where aspersions can be cast on how much she had to drink.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Its a pointless debate;

If she was twisted to the wind she couldn't consent to anything and its still sexual assault.

If she was dead sober then again sexual assault.

This debate simply muddies the issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 NameMe

iguana wrote: »
    I've sent a mail to the parish registering my disgust in Fr Sheehy. It's also given me the impetus to begin the process of officially leaving the catholic church through Count Me Out.

Are you serious??

you have decided to leave the Church because a priest shook hands with a convicted sex offender.

To be honest, I think there are things that I find a hell of a lot more unacceptable than this with regard to the Catholic Church but each to their own
    (and for the record the Bishop of Kerry has disassociated himself from the local priest's support for the convicted man)

It seems this story has a lot of elements to it, the sex offence itself, the notion of how an allegedly promiscious woman is somehow fair game is rearing its ugly head again, the opportunity for the intellectual elite and liberal Dublin-based media to pour scorn on their traditional enemies of church and rural community is here in abundance too.

And let's face it this forum would generally carry a fairly strong anti-church, anti-traditional, anti-rural, anti-male vibe so the vitriol here is no surprise.

However in my spite of my absolute disgust for the self-righteousness and one-eyedness of the so-called liberal elite (when oftentimes they are the most intolerant, most prone to censorship and slurring other, and fail to see the inherent contradictions in their ideology) I have to say that on this occassion the vitriol is absolutely justified.

The rates of conviction for sex crimes in ireland are appallingly low. The woman showed unbelievable courage to basically take on a lot of powerful forces in her own community and ultimately justice was done as the thug was convicted. That some elements of the community continue to support him is sad but typical of the loyalty mindset in closely knit rural communities where people tend to stand by their man regardless of his misdemeanours (this trait can be a very positive admirable characteristic but on this occassion it is most unsavoury and quite creepy)

My heart goes out to the woman affected. I am confident that a significant majority if Listowel locals sympathise with her plight and are appalled by how their town is being portrayed as the liberal elite get a change to stick the knife in. It is incredibly hard to upset the applecart in a small rural community as on every street corner or shop or pub there is the paranoia that someone is whispering about you, mocking you. These communities have so much going for them and a lot of what makes us Irish is best exemplified by these communities, looking out for your neighbour, being friendly and thoughtful with all those you meet, genuine concern and support for one another, warmth, hospitality. However they can also be claustrophobic and unwilling or unable to confront more modern issues. A sweep it under the carpet mentality is prevalent and things like domestic abuse and sex crimes are often ignored instead of being dealt with. The "avoid scandal or lose face in the community" mantra is domineering to such an effect that it paralyses the need to affect changes even in cases where it is absolutely necessary like the above.

In my view, the woman has shown immense courage to challenge the underlying problems that are endemic in these small rural communities and if I was her (and if she has not already done so) I would leave the community for her own sanity if nothing else.

This situation is far more complex than the "grab the nearest pitchfork and teach the stupid inbred culchies a lesson" brigade would have you believe.

NameMe wrote: »
    And let's face it this forum would generally carry a fairly strong anti-church, anti-traditional, anti-rural, anti-male vibe so the vitriol here is no surprise.

You've 13 posts and been here since this month, not sure how you'd be so sure of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Beruthiel wrote: »
    He was convicted. There is no 'other' side to the story.

You give credit to many a stereotype with such an irrational statement.

Off the top of my head I can list 50 proven high profile miscarriages of justice. Thats not to say this was a miscarriage of justice, I knew nothing about the case before today, Im just saying that the your attitude that the courts are always right, so let there be no discussion is ludicrous.

For anyone trying to understand why 50 odd people would shake his hand:
    A) They feel they know him, they've probably known him all their lives, and they believed his version of events.

B) Unlike you, they've heard his version of events and many of them where with him that night

Ironically all these claims of close minded country folk sound very close minded to me...

Once again, I do not know him or anything about this case. Im not defending him. It certainly seems to me that justice was done and he belongs in jail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

If anything comes of this - and i'm not for one minute suggesting the victim was 'asking for it' or 'deserved' to be attacked - hopefully it will shock a lot of women into NOT drinking themselves into such a state that they could find themselves in such a situation, incapable of fighting off their attacker or calling for help.

It sounds as if the victim drank herself into a stupor on the night, and the outcome could have been very different if she'd known her own limits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

NameMe wrote: »
    Are you serious??

you have decided to leave the Church because a priest shook hands with a convicted sex offender.

To be honest, I think there are things that I find a hell of a lot more unacceptable than this with regard to the Catholic Church but each to their own
    (and for the record the Bishop of Kerry has disassociated himself from the local priest's support for the convicted man)

In fairness, a lot of people have been considering Count me out, and something like this will give the final shove to many.

Fair play to the Bishop at least for not condoning the priests behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

eth0_ wrote: »
    If anything comes of this - and i'm not for one minute suggesting the victim was 'asking for it' or 'deserved' to be attacked - hopefully it will shock a lot of women into NOT drinking themselves into such a state that they could find themselves in such a situation, incapable of fighting off their attacker or calling for help.

It sounds as if the victim drank herself into a stupor on the night, and the outcome could have been very different if she'd known her own limits.

hang on a second, I'm all for women protecting themselves, but where does it say she was drunk, you don't know that?
    There are many reasons why an individual may find it difficult or impossible to fight off an attacker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭Kimia

dearg lady wrote: »
    hang on a second, I'm all for women protecting themselves, but where does it say she was drunk, you don't know that?
    There are many reasons why an individual may find it difficult or impossible to fight off an attacker.

I think she was drunk and was semi-conscious, or so the police said.

I agree with Etho, while it's never a woman's 'fault', it is our responsibility to ensure that we stay as safe as possible. But again, that doesn't give anyone the right to assault us. It's just common sense really - take care of yourself.

eth0_ wrote: »

Are you for real? What do you weight? 55- 60 Kg? I'm 110 Kg. I can lift your entire body weight with one arm (There are guys out there who can lift easily my entire body weight with one arm). Could you please explain to me how sober or not you could fight me off. If you had even a moderate amount of alocohol taken you're reaction times are something like 3 - 4 seconds slower. That would be all the time I needed to render you unconscious before you even saw it coming. I cannot tell you how wrong you are to assume that if she had been sober she would have fought this guy off. Furthermore as a bouncer he was in a position of trust which meant her guard might not have been up around him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Boston wrote: »
    Are you for real? What do you weight? 55- 60 Kg? I'm 110 Kg. I can lift your entire body weight with one arm (There are guys out there who can lift easily my entire body weight with one arm). Could you please explain to me how sober or not you could fight me off. If you had even a moderate amount of alocohol taken you're reaction times are something like 3 - 4 seconds slower. That would be all the time I needed to render you unconscious before you even saw it coming. I cannot tell you how wrong you are to assume that if she had been sober she would have fought this guy off. Furthermore as a bouncer he was in a position of trust which meant her guard might not have been up around him.

Ah but a good kick in the balls knocks even the biggest man down!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Based on that logic, no woman in the history of the world could ever have lost to a man in a fight.(*)

Since your conclusion is twaddle, I think your logic is slightly flawed.

(*) And indeed, every fight between 2 men would end in a dead heat.

P.

Sigh. How do you propose kicking someone in the balls when they come at you from the side or from behind and slam you against a wall? Do you have the instincts to immediately sense danger and the viciousness to react in the most destructive manner possible? Or would you hesitate and panic seeing someone twice your size come at you, if you'd seen them at all. Is it right to preach that women should be able to defend themselves in these situations? Are young girls now given self defence classes in schools?

I have to laugh at this thread.

We've gone through

She was the town bike
    She was out for revenge
    She was drunk and therefore fair game

to now

She should have been able to fight him off.

Cop the **** on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

Is it right to preach that women should be able to defend themselves in these situations?

When did I preach?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

. Could you please explain to me how sober or not you could fight me off. .

I don't know that it's a case of fighting you off, I couldn't fight off a man if he was determined to assault me drunk or sober but if you're very drunk then sometimes you can't even get up off the ground and walk away. You can't stop someone picking you up, you can't move your arms properly to stop them taking off your clothes. So how do you prove you didn't want it? How do you show the (possibly also drunk man) that you want them to stop? I do think people (including my stupid self) should take a really hard look at how drunk they let themselves get because when it gets to the point that you can't even protest properly or move your limbs enough to physically show you don't want this, please stop then you're pretty f*cked

Advertisement