Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

There is nothing worse than having no change on you and people shaking buckets in your face. :mad:

The people shaking the buckets are usually doing it for charity and for free. There not gaining anything themselves, their helping others. And i understand the recession and job losses etc but many who have lost there jobs have had to turn to the likes of St. Vincent de Paul for food stamps and other such things, which should be remembered the next time they turn their nose up at a chance to donate to the cause.

Sure were poor, but theres always someone less off.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

The people shaking the buckets are usually doing it for charity and for free. There not gaining anything themselves, their helping others. And i understand the recession and job losses etc but many who have lost there jobs have had to turn to the likes of St. Vincent de Paul for food stamps and other such things, which should be remembered the next time they turn their nose up at a chance to donate to the cause.

Sure were poor, but theres always someone less off.

often they get paid a percentage

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bluefoam wrote: »

I might be wrong, but I thought people collecting cash were volunteering, but the people signing you up to direct debits (chuggers) were the ones that get paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Maybe some do, but I certainly have never been paid/sought to recieve a penny.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

eoin wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but...

You just might... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

eoin wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but I thought people collecting cash were volunteering, but the people signing you up to direct debits (chuggers) were the ones that get paid.

The chuggers in Galway are part of a company which the charitys contract to get money.

The people with buckets tend to be volunteers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Guy i know moved into an apartment last Christmas. He opened Christmas cards that came for the old tenants hoping to find money. I'm glad he didn't.

Stingey cnut

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭madmik

Guy i know moved into an apartment last Christmas. He opened Christmas cards that came for the old tenants hoping to find money. I'm glad he didn't.

Stingey cnut

I moved in to a new apartment last summer

six months later a a pile of cards come in the door

I was about to burn them when i had an idea

I opened them all and surprise surprise

there was €30 euro in one of them

is that stingy?

would it have been less stingy to burn the card and not open it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭cooperla

madmik wrote: »
    I moved in to a new apartment last summer

six months later a a pile of cards come in the door

I was about to burn them when i had an idea

I opened them all and surprise surprise

there was €30 euro in one of them

is that stingy?

would it have been less stingy to burn the card and not open it?

Would have been nicer to return to sender.

However if there was no return address, it's all good

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

Theres a difference between voluteering and chuggers. Volunteering is free. Chuggers are annoying assholes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Theres a difference between voluteering and chuggers. Volunteering is free. Chuggers are annoying assholes.

They are unbelievable arseholes. I hate the smart responses they give, the first time I was given a smart reply when I said "no, sorry" I vowed never ever to give commission to them, it should be legal to punch them. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Johnnio13

Great thread - been reading it all morning.

At my mother's funeral, my uncle (who is a well known professor and minted) asked my father to refund his flight home from France for the funeral - £400 at the time.
    That was the last time any of us have spoken to him.

A friend of mine, will get into rounds, knowing we all drink faster - when it comes close to his round he will step off and look after himself. We are all fed up with that one.

My mate used to drink in the Pav (Trinity student bar) where they sold 6 cans of Bavaria for €8. He used to walk a mile down the round to buy his bavaria in another off licence then trek back because that off licence sold 6 for €7.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ladyella

I used to work with a guy - he retired about 6 months ago. He's not short of money by any stretch of the imagination and does some freelancey stuff when he's ar$Ed to get more money. He came in last week with a book on golf.... he then told us why... he was using the copier to copy the pages he was interested in and then giving the book to a friend as a birthday gift :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭youcrazyjesus!

Johnnio13 wrote: »
    Great thread - been reading it all morning.

At my mother's funeral, my uncle (who is a well known professor and minted) asked my father to refund his flight home from France for the funeral - £400 at the time.
    That was the last time any of us have spoken to him.

A friend of mine, will get into rounds, knowing we all drink faster - when it comes close to his round he will step off and look after himself. We are all fed up with that one.

I can't understand this, with rounds politeness and manners go out the window, "get to the ****ing bar now" would be my repsonse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

My mate used to drink in the Pav (Trinity student bar) where they sold 6 cans of Bavaria for €8. He used to walk a mile down the round to buy his bavaria in another off licence then trek back because that off licence sold 6 for €7.
    Well if he walked a mile he was an idiot, seeing as there are two offlicenses within 2-300 metres that sell 6 for 7.

Well if he walked a mile he was an idiot, seeing as there are two offlicenses within 2-300 metres that sell 6 for 7.

I know the area well. He walked a mile normally AFAIK.

Walking 200 metres there, and 200 metres back to save a euro makes u a stingbag.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Walking 200 metres there, and 200 metres back to save a euro makes u a stingbag.
    400M is not a mile. in fact its only a quarter mile

400M is not a mile. in fact its only a quarter mile

:rolleyes:

Who cares?

1.6km = 1 mile
    1000 metres = 1 kilometre.
    1000ml = 1 litre.

Wow, you're like SOOO intellectual.

Where did I retract the mile? I walked it with him one. I'm not talking about the ones out beside the side gate, which are about 300-400 up the road (or 50 metres if u go to Pearse Street). It was out the other gate we went.

There are more than 2 or 3 offies around Trinity, it's a big place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭Panda

I know a guy who cycled from castlebar in mayo, to ennis in clare
    (a route that he would normally use the bus for) to avoid the extra charge that bus eireann have for carrying bikes in the luggage compartment.

Thats around 150kms as far as i know...

same guy would read this thread like an advice column.

another guy in college used to drink the dregs at the late bar.
    half a mouthful of beer here, a bit of wkd blue there, a drop of vodka with a cigarette butt perchance...
    nasty ****.

• Advertisement

Also, you're not saving a euro. The pav was always 4 for 7.50/8.

So in fact, he was saving himself somewhere in the region of 5 quid when you did the maths.

In fact, he was making a saving of 1.25 for every hundred metres he had to walk.

edit: oh, and furthest away offie (the one on the corner of Fenian St.) is 200m away. The other one is probably 100-150. Which would make it a saving of somewhere in the region of 2-2.50 saved for every 100 metres.

double edit: and if you were heading out the front end of trinity, then I repeat: not stingy, just thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

In fact, he was making a saving of 1.25 for every hundred metres he had to walk.

And burning calories too!

Also, you're not saving a euro. The pav was always 4 for 7.50/8.

So in fact, he was saving himself somewhere in the region of 5 quid when you did the maths.

edit: oh, and furthest away offie (the one on the corner of Fenian St.) is 200m away. The other one is probably 100-150. Which would make it a saving of somewhere in the region of 2-2.50 saved for every 100 metres.

double edit: and if you were heading out the front end of trinity, then I repeat: not stingy, just thick.

6 for 8 euro when I was drinkin there buddy. i didnt go to Trinity so that wasnt very often but thats how it was. He was buyin 6 for 7.

you have a measuring tape with you when you did all of this?

The internet has this wonderful thing called google maps :P I still doubt 6 for 8 - seeing as you're nearly the same age as me and would've been drinking there around the same time I doubt it even more ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭bp1989

Stingey cnut

who puts money in xmas cards? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

Is that the packs of Bavaria with a RRP of €7 for 6 cans? If so, fair play to your man for going to the other shop, rather than pay out extra to the rip-off merchants! We're all fed up of being ripped off, but so few people will actually make a stand against it that this guy is being mocked for doing just that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

this should be stickied:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

My wallet became lost / stolen on holidays.
    Borrowed €200 from a 'friend'.
    Repayed him 2 weeks later but he claimed that I owed him €235.
    He reckoned that he'd taken the money out with his Visa card
    and that he'd worked out that the interest and charges amounted
    to something like €33.67 but that it was only fair to round it up to €35.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭AFC_1903

My wallet became lost / stolen on holidays.
    Borrowed €200 from a 'friend'.
    Repayed him 2 weeks later but he claimed that I owed him €235.
    He reckoned that he'd taken the money out with his Visa card
    and that he'd worked out that the interest and charges amounted
    to something like €33.67 but that it was only fair to round it up to €35.

IF he took it out with his VISA, and IF he had to pay charges for doing so, (assuming he told you this at the time) surely it's only fair that you don't expect him to take a loss himself for helping you? I'm not saying he should make a profit - that's wrong, but he shouldn't be out of pocket for it. One or two euro, and nobody would care, but €30-odd euro is a hit to take.
    Pay him what it cost him to take out the money for YOU to save YOUR holiday, and stop being stingy! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,833 ✭✭✭✭Armin_Tamzarian

No, he gave me the money out of his wallet and claimed later
    that he took money our with his Visa at a later date.
    Which would be strange as he had plenty of money in his bank account.

If someone had payed ATM charges in the process of getting out money for me it would only be right to offer them €5 to cover it.

Maybe other cards are different but with my cards you don't start to accrue interest until you owe money for at least a month.

This guy just was terrified that he might end up out of pocket and went off trying to calculate charges based on APR, etc and came up with some ridiculous figure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement