Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,364 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Worked with someone who used to load up the paper canteen cups with sausages and the likes, put the lid on and pay for them as a much cheaper cup of tea. He also took the fruit salad and covered it with corn flakes. Plates were always placed over any sachets on the tray.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Was in mass n Beligum, the place was filled with happy clappy Americans.
    Dunno if they were Catholic or not as they seemed evangelical more than anything.

At any rate, they would put money in the collection plate and take the exact change out "To buy a doughnut after" This was not a one off either.

Greedy c*nts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Kitty_N

Myself, my boyfriend and one of his friends went on a skiing trip recently to Germany where we met up with some German friends.

One of the first days skiing the Germans got seperated from us so they told us they would pick us up in the car. So two and a half hours of standing in the cold later (everywhere had closed) they arrive. Turns out they were doing doughnuts in their cars in the car park. By this time the ski rental place has closed (I was the only one renting as they had their own gear). The following day they refuse to bring me back to the rental place as they say it's too far away and they don't feel like skiing. On the third day I shell out over 50quid for over due fees and they turn around and ask for petrol money for the 20minute drive, even though it was entirely their fault.

The next day we all go to the supermarket where the Germans buy food for everyone which works out at E35. Except then we go and buy about E100 worth of beer, the germans drink all the beer in one night but share and share alike, right?

On the final day one of them comes up and says "you each owe me E5.20 for shopping", shocked, my boyfriend says he'll pay for all three of us with the 20 quid he has on him. The german guy has a fiver in his hand but refuses to give it as change as this would leave him short 60cent. Instead he hands us back three euro and says that's all he has.:mad:

Fuming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭thermo66

Kitty_N wrote: »
    Myself, my boyfriend and one of his friends went on a skiing trip recently to Germany where we met up with some German friends.

One of the first days skiing the Germans got seperated from us so they told us they would pick us up in the car. So two and a half hours of standing in the cold later (everywhere had closed) they arrive. Turns out they were doing doughnuts in their cars in the car park. By this time the ski rental place has closed (I was the only one renting as they had their own gear). The following day they refuse to bring me back to the rental place as they say it's too far away and they don't feel like skiing. On the third day I shell out over 50quid for over due fees and they turn around and ask for petrol money for the 20minute drive, even though it was entirely their fault.

The next day we all go to the supermarket where the Germans buy food for everyone which works out at E35. Except then we go and buy about E100 worth of beer, the germans drink all the beer in one night but share and share alike, right?

On the final day one of them comes up and says "you each owe me E5.20 for shopping", shocked, my boyfriend says he'll pay for all three of us with the 20 quid he has on him. The german guy has a fiver in his hand but refuses to give it as change as this would leave him short 60cent. Instead he hands us back three euro and says that's all he has.:mad:

Fuming.
    Why didn't you ask for their share of the drink money!!! That would bring them out in a sweat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭Heckler

Love it in Germany when you go to a bbq you bring your own meat and the hosts provide the beer. Shows the difference. Its cheaper to get 20 people drunk than feed them. Thats not stingy from germans btw. I've found them one of the most generous peoples i've encountered. Just shows the price of beer in Germany compared to here. And its nice beer too.

Can't understand stingy people. I hate discussing money and such. If i'm out with friends for dinner we just divide the bill by the amount of people there. Doesn't matter who had starters or who didn't or if some people had extra drinks or whatever. Can't understand the mentality. If one or two people did have say a few extra expensive cocktails or something they would be the first to throw in extra money without being asked for it. Can't stand stingy people.

Only stingy story I can think of is a guy in school years ago who kept score with one of his best friends regarding smokes. You could ask this guy for a fag and he would direct you to his best friend saying "he owes me one, get it from him and say its from me". One other guy was so tight with his rollups we used to prefer to ask our math teacher for a smoke (who would give us a fag) rather than put up with the lame excuses (this has to last me the week bull****). Thankfully 15 years on I can buy me own. I did then too but you might run out like !!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Thermo66 had post 666 at 12(6+6).06. Spooky bastard :pac:

Heckler wrote: »
    Love it in Germany when you go to a bbq you bring your own meat and the hosts provide the beer. Shows the difference. Its cheaper to get 20 people drunk than feed them. Thats not stingy from germans btw. I've found them one of the most generous peoples i've encountered. Just shows the price of beer in Germany compared to here. And its nice beer too.

Can't understand stingy people. I hate discussing money and such. If i'm out with friends for dinner we just divide the bill by the amount of people there. Doesn't matter who had starters or who didn't or if some people had extra drinks or whatever. Can't understand the mentality. If one or two people did have say a few extra expensive cocktails or something they would be the first to throw in extra money without being asked for it. Can't stand stingy people.

Only stingy story I can think of is a guy in school years ago who kept score with one of his best friends regarding smokes. You could ask this guy for a fag and he would direct you to his best friend saying "he owes me one, get it from him and say its from me". One other guy was so tight with his rollups we used to prefer to ask our math teacher for a smoke (who would give us a fag) rather than put up with the lame excuses (this has to last me the week bull****). Thankfully 15 years on I can buy me own. I did then too but you might run out like !!!!!!!!
    Well I'm far from stingy but i don't think its fair for people to pay the same as everyone else for a meal if they haven't had wine/ full 3 courses. Some people genuinely cut back on nights out for financial reasons so its not fair and it can put them in an extremely awkward position if some idiot pipes up 'oh we'll split it all even to make it easier'.

I learnt this the hard way as I was genuinely tight for money going to a hen night a few years ago, opted not to get wine to save money while most of the rest of the gang knocked several bottles back and at the end took it upon themselves to split the bill even. The few of us who didn't drink ended up paying a good 15plus extra which is a lot when you don't have it. And i know the smart answer is why didn't you speak up and refuse to pay the full whack but in reality its a very embarrassing thing to do in a group of people cos your deemed to be stingy then. It should never be assumed that everyone is willing to split it equally.

Some of the posts are downright unbelievable though.

Thermo66 had post 666 at 12(6+6).06. Spooky bastard :pac:
    ha ha your very observant! And i is a woman!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

1st date with my new GF to the cinema, b4 i went printed out buy 1 ticket get one free off a certain Irish entertainment website... Got some stick from my m8s but she thought i was really shrewd.. was a real ice breaker and were still together....:D

Remember: "The tortoise never makes headway unless it sticks its neck out"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

when i was about 16 myself and a mate went up to some local scrotes and he asked for a smoke. The guy gave him one, he took out his 20 box with 19 in it, stuck the smoke in and said "you're a pal"

It wasn't stingy exactly, he just did it for the laugh

• Advertisement

thermo66 wrote: »
    Well I'm far from stingy but i don't think its fair for people to pay the same as everyone else for a meal if they haven't had wine/ full 3 courses. Some people genuinely cut back on nights out for financial reasons so its not fair and it can put them in an extremely awkward position if some idiot pipes up 'oh we'll split it all even to make it easier'.

I learnt this the hard way as I was genuinely tight for money going to a hen night a few years ago, opted not to get wine to save money while most of the rest of the gang knocked several bottles back and at the end took it upon themselves to split the bill even. The few of us who didn't drink ended up paying a good 15plus extra which is a lot when you don't have it. And i know the smart answer is why didn't you speak up and refuse to pay the full whack but in reality its a very embarrassing thing to do in a group of people cos your deemed to be stingy then. It should never be assumed that everyone is willing to split it equally.

Ah now I don't mean when there is a big discrepency. I mean when theres 2 or 3 euro in the difference and you hear about people getting calculators out ! Like I said if someone or other went mad on cocktails and such they would put the difference in without being asked. And in my circle of friends they wouldn't get away with trying to pull a fast one. I totally agree with you regarding nondrinkers and that.

So you're a wimmins ? Spooky bitch so ! :D Joking !!!
    Some of the posts are downright unbelievable though.

Ah now I don't mean when there is a big discrepency. I mean when theres 2 or 3 euro in the difference and you hear about people getting calculators out ! Like I said if someone or other went mad on cocktails and such they would put the difference in without being asked. And in my circle of friends they wouldn't get away with trying to pull a fast one. I totally agree with you regarding nondrinkers and that.

Dunno what happened there with the quote and reply buttons but you get my drift !

Dunno what happened there with the quote and reply buttons but you get my drift !
    I'm pretty spooky!!

We're all tangled up !OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I cannot stand the way they have collections at the top of supermarket queues ostensibly packing your bags and expecting a contribution in return.
    I make it a policy not to give to adults doing this explaining times are tight and I have no money. Children get .50 cent or so, but I find the practice irritating as it leaves people with little choice but to give out of embarassment even when they cant afford it.
    Same with collections at work. Most people have no choice but to be at work so cannot avoid the often very public and pressured collections often for people they don't like or who have done them no favours in the past, like bosses. If I had a bad relationship with a person who the collection was for I make no bones in refusing to contribute to the collection, many, just for a quiet life, put in a €5 or €10 often on minimum wage. Others make a collection to buy a present for the boss! I only knew one boss who got us each a small present for a good years work and a thank you card from his own money when the usual awards system got sidetracked. The rest gave us nothing but smiles in return.................
    Hotels and restaurants depend a lot on lack of bill control and free spending to up their profits and try to inculcate a culture of "hail fellow well met" to relax people into spending more than they can afford. Careful people are labelled as "stingy", a sound man always buys his round etc.....
    Tips are another con, do you pay tips to the supermarket or on a bus? Why do it in a taxi or restaurant but not in a cafe? As time get harder you will see tips disappear from the scene or people will stop going out if pressured into paying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

doolox wrote: »
    I cannot stand the way they have collections at the top of supermarket queues ostensibly packing your bags and expecting a contribution in return.
    I make it a policy not to give to adults doing this explaining times are tight and I have no money. Children get .50 cent or so, but I find the practice irritating as it leaves people with little choice but to give out of embarassment even when they cant afford it.
    Same with collections at work. Most people have no choice but to be at work so cannot avoid the often very public and pressured collections often for people they don't like or who have done them no favours in the past, like bosses. If I had a bad relationship with a person who the collection was for I make no bones in refusing to contribute to the collection, many, just for a quiet life, put in a €5 or €10 often on minimum wage. Others make a collection to buy a present for the boss! I only knew one boss who got us each a small present for a good years work and a thank you card from his own money when the usual awards system got sidetracked. The rest gave us nothing but smiles in return.................
    Hotels and restaurants depend a lot on lack of bill control and free spending to up their profits and try to inculcate a culture of "hail fellow well met" to relax people into spending more than they can afford. Careful people are labelled as "stingy", a sound man always buys his round etc.....
    Tips are another con, do you pay tips to the supermarket or on a bus? Why do it in a taxi or restaurant but not in a cafe? As time get harder you will see tips disappear from the scene or people will stop going out if pressured into paying them.

tipping is optional and its to show you appreciated the service,dont feel obliged to tip should u nnot want to

also dont feel like you have to give to charities if your broke yourself

just look them in the eye and say no

they mite think your a cnut but do u really care what some bag-packer in a supermarket thinks of you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

Was in a bar one night, and in walk 6 american tourists, ordered two pint bottles of bulmers, and 6 glasses of ice, I nearly wet myself laughing. They stayed for about two hours sipping their drinks!

Cadyboo wrote: »
    Was in a bar one night, and in walk 6 american tourists, ordered two pint bottles of bulmers, and 6 glasses of ice, I nearly wet myself laughing. They stayed for about two hours sipping their drinks!

Hmmm, more likely skint rather than stingy. imho

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Hmmm, more likely skint rather than stingy. imho

Or just not big drinkers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Xiney wrote: »
    When I was in first year, I lived in a house with 16 other first years.

You weren't going to UCD at the time were you? I too lived in a house of 16 in my 1st year in UCD. Landlord lived next door with ~10 students in his own house and was a right w***er! Oh and he also had another house across the road with nearly 20 in it. The greediest man i ever met

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

doolox wrote: »

For f***s sake you can ALWAYS spare at least 20c, why refuse on principle?

Give them something next time and consider it an investment in dignity

• Advertisement

efla wrote: »

not everyone can afford dignity thesedays!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

delllat wrote: »
    not everyone can afford dignity thesedays!
    Which is why I sell myself :D

Which is why I sell myself :D

what a dignified response

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭PrettyInPunk

efla wrote: »

agreed. I think that person sounds like a scabby ****er. Your not obliged to give money but sometimes its nice to be nice.

agreed. I think that person sounds like a scabby ****er. Your not obliged to give money but sometimes its nice to be nice.

i also agree its nice to throw them a few quid for their efforts and i usually do

but its easy to say that when u have a few quid spare to give them

a lot of people have recently lost their jobs and dont have enough to pay their mortgages on the labour

the last thing they need is people shaking charity boxes in their faces and others calling them miserable cnuts for not donating

I believe I have met the stingiest man possible.

I stayed with my brother and one of his flatemates for awhile in some ****ty apartment in Strasbourg. Landlord was unbelievable. Basically, every room except the tiniest kitchen I have ever seen and the bathroom had been turned into a bedroom to maximise profit. The other flatmate wasn't there when I was, but even 3 people sharing it was horrendous. God knows how we would have managed with 4 people in it.

Every time the landlord came round, I had to hide in the cupboard as he had tried to charge rent (?) the last time someone had stayed with them (for around a week).

Landlord was also an expert in loopholes in French legislation to hold onto deposits and ensure he squeezed out additional cash. Any attempt by the housemate studying law to point out he was overcharging them/putting too many people in the house etc was quashed by him pointing out horrendously obscure articles of French law.
    When one of the flatmates was leaving, there was a small stain on the mattress and he tried to charge for it ("I can't let another person have this!"), sick and tired of the landlords shenanigans, the flatmate left the country and asked my brother to guard the mattress until he came back for it,( seeing as he was paying for the mattress, he now owned it). Landlord went on a frantic search in the flat for the mattress asking my brother had he seen it, and absolutely raging. Was muttering Jewish curses to himself the whole time as he was so outraged that the flatmate had the gall to take a mattress that he owned with him.

Only time the landlord ever showed any sort of generosity was when he once came over with a small TV. The boys were flabbergasted as such magnaminity was unheard of from him. THey regaled their female friends in the opposing tower block with this strange gesture. THey told the boys that the landlord had come in and stolen their TV. TUrns out that one of the girls had left France owing him €30 or some such sum. FIlled with rage, the landlord had taken the TV that the girls shared between them. He then realized that he wouldn't be able to carry a TV on his motorbike and was unsure how to get rid of it. He then realized that he could leave it at their flat for easy storage and eventually get it back when the boys moved out.

If you've ever seen the YOung Ones you'll get a sense of the dynamic between the landlord and "his boys"

delllat wrote: »
    i also agree its nice to throw them a few quid for their efforts and i usually do

but its easy to say that when u have a few quid spare to give them

a lot of people have recently lost their jobs and dont have enough to pay their mortgages on the labour

the last thing they need is people shaking charity boxes in their faces and others calling them miserable cnuts for not donating

I've done the whole bag packing thing and we are well used to people saying they can't afford to give anything.
    Most charity workers understand this and there is 0 obligation to give them anything. If you don't want to give any money just say "I'll do the bags myself" as it's the usual response and most diplomatic way of saying it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I've done the whole bag packing thing and we are well used to people saying they can't afford to give anything.
    Most charity workers understand this and there is 0 obligation to give them anything. If you don't want to give any money just say "I'll do the bags myself" as it's the usual response and most diplomatic way of saying it.

I'd agree with that! I've done bagpacking before, and if someone wants to pack their own bags that is fine. The worst is when you pack two trolleyloads of heavy stuff for someone, and they don't even give you 10c. Or one cheeky fecker asked me if I'd give him change for the bus. Not change from a 2 euro or anything, he actually wanted me to give him money out of the bucket?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭*adele*

This is definitely not stingy. If Im low on money and ordering carefully when Im out with friends the last thing Id want to do is pay for other people to have starters and dessert. That mentality is so annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭useful_contacts

There is nothing worse than having no change on you and people shaking buckets in your face. :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement