Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Times reports that all pistols are to be banned

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭G17

civdef wrote: »
    Have there really been no significant developments on this subject for nearly a week, i.e. consultations?

If there have been, nobody on boards knows or will tell (insert conspiracy theories here).

Several people have posted looking for info........(pause for tumbleweed)......(cough)...............................(crickets).....................................................(distant car horn)..............................(distant fart).........................aaaaannnnnd so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Have there really been no significant developments on this subject for nearly a week, i.e. consultations?

I'd say there has but no one's willing to talk about it on a pulbic forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

I see the airsoft lads have got a hearing from FG last night!! Thats only afew hours since it was released that new laws were to be made on airsoft. How long is it since it was announced that pistols were to be banned?? and still no word from any group! No news of meetings etc..........

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I find it astonishing that the NGBs on the FCP act so tight lipped, giving absolutely no guidance to their members. Then when things go poorly they have the cheek to turn around and criticise people for acting independently.

Has anyone even got a "We talked and are in ongoing discussion, the ABCD would like its members to refrain from any contact with TDs etc at the moment until we can clarify our position"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Vegeta wrote: »
    Then when things go poorly they have the cheek to turn around and criticise people for acting independently.
    When was this?

The statement on the NTSA website says that they will let people know when further information is available.

I presume then that no further information is available at this time. Even the Minister doesn't seem to know exactly what's happening as he keeps referring to the miscellaneous bill that hasn't been published yet.

We are waiting over two years now for some of the sections of the CJA 2006 to be commenced. I'm betting that this bill won't be published before Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Trojan911 wrote: »
    Just heard on the local radio (Corks 96FM) news at 10 this evening that the Government has indicated a blanket ban on the issue of all legally held handguns, which could be imminent.

No link as yet but I have just spoken to the newsdesk to confirm I was hearing right.

Is this the beginning of the end?

Not going to happen for legally held pistols especially those used for hunting and finishing off deer. its unrealistic and dangerous to finish off a fallen deer with a rifle it has to be done with a pistol.

End of argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Jonty

Not going to happen for legally held pistols especially those used for hunting and finishing off deer. its unrealistic and dangerous to finish off a fallen deer with a rifle it has to be done with a pistol.

End of argument.

Sorry there, but no pistols are used for hunting in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭NOGMaxpower

Jonty wrote: »
    Sorry there, but no pistols are used for hunting in this country.

I agree you dont' hunt with pistols but the law states if you are hunting deer with a Rifle and you dont finish a deer off with one shot you're allowed use a pistol to finish the job off. its law = end of

I agree you dont' hunt with pistols but the law states if you are hunting deer with a Rifle and you dont finish a deer off with one shot you're allowed use a pistol to finish the job off. its law = end of

What law? reference please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

Coillte has made it quite clear that anyone who rents a piece of their forest for deer stalking are not permitted to bring pistols with them for hunting and/or dispatching of wounded deer. Please let us know what laws you're referring to.

• Advertisement

packas wrote: »
    Coillte has made it quite clear that anyone who rents a piece of their forest for deer stalking are not permitted to bring pistols with them for hunting and/or dispatching of wounded deer. Please let us know what laws you're referring to.

I think we're looking at pub law here Packas: Section 3, subsection (1), paragraph (a).

"It's true, because a man I know, knows a man that said so"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOGMaxpower
    "I agree you dont' hunt with pistols but the law states if you are hunting deer with a Rifle and you dont finish a deer off with one shot you're allowed use a pistol to finish the job off. its law = end of "

Never heard of that law, could it be the "use whatever means" thing in the wildlife act that refers to an injured animal (and i think that is more directed at road traffic collisions), where you can dispatch it with a firearm not meeting the minimum calibre/power restrictions so as to have the least amount of suffering for the beast? Im very intrested to hear where this comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 3,289 ✭✭✭dresden8

As per RTE news the Taoiseach has said that the shooting in East Wall validates their decision to change the hand-gun laws.

These f*ckers have no shame at all.

Isn't there a referendum result he should be "respecting" somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

[url]www.independant.co.uk:80/news/world/africa/craft-guns-fuel-west-africa-crime-epidemic-862597.html[/url]

Minister Aherne/Gardai/DOJ please take note.

While this may be somwhat OT.I thought this was well intresting reading on the fact that even poorer countries than ours can make a indusrty of supplying all and sundry with firearms to those who want and need them.
    Even if you ban all the legallly held stuff,somhow manage to restrict the criminally held shipments.
    Guns will still exist in some shape or form here,and unless you go and liscense every hacksaw,file,hand drill and bit of water pipe,not to mind the Net as well.Those who want a gun will get one by hook or crook,or by their own ingeunity.Granted,they are not up to a factory made custom handgun.But if it is for whatever needs a person needs it for it is enough.

This is just one example in modern times.The Afghans,the Phillipinos,The Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto in ww2,The Isrealis[the UZI ,was originally concived in a basement workshop],even our lot the IRA and Loyalist paramilitaries built their own.
    Make all the laws you want.You cannot legislate human ingenuity or determination away.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ancienthunter

our biggest defence is of course not trying to argue but to become actively involved in pointing out specific routes of the sources of illegal guns.
    I propose that all vessels have Identification transponders and anything else on the radar is checked out. Thermal imaging and night vision cameras should be used in every port. That would be money well spend. How about more funding to our intelligence agencys. And of course local knowledge.

And a separate agency for marine affairs not the dept of transport.

These issues are worth marching for and we would'nt have to say any thing about our target shooting

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/144288.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Tribunius

Well there are a few issues with your proposals.

1. The entire Irish coast is not covered by radar. I doubt much of it is at all.

2. The transponder thing wouldn't work either. You couldn't get all vessels that pass through Irish waters to install one.

3. Thermal imaging and night vision gear in every port would not really help with drug/firearm smuggling. The lads involved in this don't exactly come in that way.

However your idea of more money for the intelligence agencies would have an effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

so what yout take on this
    Over 1,200 licensed guns stolen in five years
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhidsnidkfgb/

Official records from Mr Ahern show 1,263 registered firearms – including 27 handguns – have been stolen since 2003.

Only 373 of these have been recovered and the minister admits it is impossible to say how many stolen handguns are used in crime, because weapons are not always found.

big difference between 1,200 guns in the headline and 27 handguns which is what he talking about isn't he, 27...

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    www.independant.co.uk:80/news/world/africa/craft-guns-fuel-west-africa-crime-epidemic-862597.html

Minister Aherne/Gardai/DOJ please take note.

While this may be somwhat OT.I thought this was well intresting reading on the fact that even poorer countries than ours can make a indusrty of supplying all and sundry with firearms to those who want and need them.
    Even if you ban all the legallly held stuff,somhow manage to restrict the criminally held shipments.
    Guns will still exist in some shape or form here,and unless you go and liscense every hacksaw,file,hand drill and bit of water pipe,not to mind the Net as well.Those who want a gun will get one by hook or crook,or by their own ingeunity.Granted,they are not up to a factory made custom handgun.But if it is for whatever needs a person needs it for it is enough.

This is just one example in modern times.The Afghans,the Phillipinos,The Jews in the Warsaw Ghetto in ww2,The Isrealis[the UZI ,was originally concived in a basement workshop],even our lot the IRA and Loyalist paramilitaries built their own.
    Make all the laws you want.You cannot legislate human ingenuity or determination away.

Point well made Grizzly, I remember inspecting early Viet Cong weapons made with piping for a barrel, door bolts for bolts, nails for firing pins and fired with a hammer (claw or ballpien, choice of user).

Unfortunately for us Ahern is not interested in doing something constructive. He has just been waiting in the long grass to do us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

sfakiaman wrote: »
    ............ He has just been waiting in the long grass to do us.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

big between 1,200 guns in the headline and 27 handguns which is what he talking about isn't he, 27...

Be under no illusions - he has his sights set on ALL firearms.

Legally held pistols and revolvers are only the sharp end of the wedge and the banning of them should not be accepted by ANYONE who holds a firearms certificate.

B'Man

• Advertisement

Bananaman wrote: »
    Be under no illusions - he has his sights set on ALL firearms.

B'Man

Ah yes, it reminds me of the old saying: "When catapults are outlawed, only the outlaws will have catapults"! (well that's the jist of it anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Interesting how the comment "fight against the surging gun culture in Ireland" would sound a lot different if it were;

"fighting against the surging gay culture ..."
    "fighting against the surging video game culture ..."
    "fighting against the surging alternative medicine culture ..."

If the minister is dubbing firearms owners a sub-culture in its own right he is singling them out as a group. Any ban or de-facto ban would have to work its way around the 2000 EU Equality Act (the same one that stop bar tenders from putting up "over 21s only" signs or not letting travellers drink in the pub).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

as far as i know, the over 21s thing was reversed and you can now legally limit who you let in at the door based on age.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭hk

I have emailed several politians and recieved a response from the minister for justice that is the same as was posted earlier here, however this is an email i recieved from Mr C Flanagan, FG spokesperson on justice on the issue.

Dear ......,
    Thank you for your recent email.

Fine Gael believes that any proposed changes to legislation should at all times be based on reliable research and best practice.
    Fine Gael believes that public safety must be the paramount guiding principle informing policy and legislation in respect of firearms. If the current legislative provisions in respect of firearms are creating a danger to public safety, then appropriate steps must be taken. Accordingly, if the Minister for Justice has evidence that the increased number of firearms licences in the country is posing a threat to public safety, then options such as restricting licences to sporting facilities that meet approved criteria should be considered.
    Fine Gael is extremely concerned that the Minister is focusing on legally held firearms to shift attention away from the far more serious problem caused by illegal firearms in the State. It is common knowledge that criminal gangs have easy access to dangerous firearms and there is evidence that they travel overseas to avail to top of the range training facilities. Fine Gael is urging the Minister for Justice to direct his attention in the first instance towards the serious matter of illegal firearms as part of a broader effort to tackle criminality in this country.
    Yours sincerely,
    Charlie Flanagan TD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

hk wrote: »
    I have emailed several politians and recieved a response from the minister for justice that is the same as was posted earlier here, however this is an email i recieved from Mr C Flanagan, FG spokesperson on justice on the issue.

Dear ......,
    Thank you for your recent email.

Fine Gael believes that any proposed changes to legislation should at all times be based on reliable research and best practice.
    Fine Gael believes that public safety must be the paramount guiding principle informing policy and legislation in respect of firearms. If the current legislative provisions in respect of firearms are creating a danger to public safety, then appropriate steps must be taken. Accordingly, if the Minister for Justice has evidence that the increased number of firearms licences in the country is posing a threat to public safety, then options such as restricting licences to sporting facilities that meet approved criteria should be considered.
    Fine Gael is extremely concerned that the Minister is focusing on legally held firearms to shift attention away from the far more serious problem caused by illegal firearms in the State. It is common knowledge that criminal gangs have easy access to dangerous firearms and there is evidence that they travel overseas to avail to top of the range training facilities. Fine Gael is urging the Minister for Justice to direct his attention in the first instance towards the serious matter of illegal firearms as part of a broader effort to tackle criminality in this country.
    Yours sincerely,
    Charlie Flanagan TD

All FG TD's are issuing this standard response ;)

I believe that alot more money should be put into our coastal defence anyway. Ok maybe the thermal imaging might be silly but a complete all round Ireland radar system hooked up to a computer that monitors shipping traffic against a.i.s data and with a table look up of difference radar signatures for different types of boats and have it all run through a computer running artifical intelligence which picks up on funny movements around the coast.

Now combine that with mandatory ais transponders for ships above a certain size and the mandatory gmdss radios you have a way of identifiing larger offshore vessels.

If the brains of this system (i.e the computer) tracks a smaller boat coming offshore to onshore it triggers an alarm which is handled by a control center and passed on to the most appropiate people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Red Renard

http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cMpgV13Sg93D/340x.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.daylife.com/photo/0cMpgV13Sg93D&usg=__AJBI1hpIZjTwqXh94XwgChsaBi8=&h=510&w=340&sz=47&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=VHJykdluK0LV3M:&tbnh=131&tbnw=87&prev=/images?q=drugs+and+weapons+Ireland&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

This cache involved cross border corporation with the Garda.
    Some of this shipment involved southern crimals. This shipment consistent of 150 firearms, machine pistols, night vision, silencers, drugs,others. The
    scale of the drug problem in Ireland is out of control.€€€

340x.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Red Renard wrote: »
    http://images.google.ie/imgres?imgurl=http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0cMpgV13Sg93D/340x.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.daylife.com/photo/0cMpgV13Sg93D&usg=__AJBI1hpIZjTwqXh94XwgChsaBi8=&h=510&w=340&sz=47&hl=en&start=8&um=1&tbnid=VHJykdluK0LV3M:&tbnh=131&tbnw=87&prev=/images?q=drugs+and+weapons+Ireland&um=1&hl=en&sa=N

This cache involved cross border corporation with the Garda.
    Some of this shipment involved southern crimals. This shipment consistent of 150 firearms, machine pistols, night vision, silencers, drugs,others. The
    scale of the drug problem in Ireland is out of control.€€€

340x.jpg

Seized in Amsterdam ....
    months ago: Partial view of more than 150 firearms which were displayed by the Criminal Investigation Department in Amsterdam on September 4, 2008. Dutch authorities have arrested four people after uncovering an arms cache in Amsterdam destined for a Northern Irish trafficking syndicate, the national prosecution service said Thursday. The find was part of a joint investigation by authorities from the Netherlands and Northern Ireland into a syndicate dealing in illegal weapons, drugs and cigarette smuggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I believe that alot more money should be put into our coastal defence anyway. Ok maybe the thermal imaging might be silly but a complete all round Ireland radar system hooked up to a computer that monitors shipping traffic against a.i.s data and with a table look up of difference radar signatures for different types of boats and have it all run through a computer running artifical intelligence which picks up on funny movements around the coast.

Now combine that with mandatory ais transponders for ships above a certain size and the mandatory gmdss radios you have a way of identifiing larger offshore vessels.

If the brains of this system (i.e the computer) tracks a smaller boat coming offshore to onshore it triggers an alarm which is handled by a control center and passed on to the most appropiate people.
    Sounds good but in reality there is no way that you will get full coverage in all weathers with a ground based radar system, too much sea clutter in heavy weather, any automatic reporting system which is trying to track the movements of small vessels on Irelands coastline would be more powerful than anything made so far.
    Small punts fishing lobster, mackerel, potting for crab etc are always moving in and offshore.
    It is impossible.
    One of the most important decisions that has been made with regard to spotting smuggling was the demanning of the Lighthouses around the coast.
    The lighthouse keepers had an intimate knowledge of the daily activities of the coast and would very quickly know when something wasn't *right*.

• Advertisement

Yes, but information gathered from the origin, path or destination of one or multiple targets regular movements of craft is overlooked along with ignoring radar interference this would be the primary function of the artifical intelligence in the computer software.

I recon it could be mostly software and a radar to computer interface so it would'nt be very expensive and yet it would provide a valuable "firewall" for Ireland, It would help with ilegal fishing too which is probally linked to drugs and guns

This would probally involve cooperation from other nations too.

It would not be an be all and end all. But it would be 1000000x more effective than any handgun ban.

The lighthouse keepers were very important its a pitty their gone now

Advertisement