Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish women have NO MANNERS

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Naw while it's acceptable in some quarters for men it's not attractive on men or women.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah taconnol, nine times out of ten when someone personally abuses me here, the first insult they always come up with is "fat" which is highly amusing considering they've never even seen me.
    Suppose they're looking at my avatar/sig... Sigh... Guess the owner of a pea-brain isn't able to see beyond their nose.
    Or else they're assuming just because I object to bullying of overweight people I must also be overweight - as if the two just have to be mutually exclusive.

If you want to upset a girl, you call her fat. I have seen even the most perfect bodied and stunning of ladies falter under the accusation that they are fat.

Why? Because being fat is just not really that acceptable in the common sphere of thought. Even girs will do this to other girls because they know it hurts them.

If someone calls someone else fat then i normally just place them in the cnut pile and ignore them.

Or put them back in their box, whichever i am in the mood for and normally dependant on my relationship with the person who is being abused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,883 ✭✭✭shellyboo

Dave147 wrote: »
    Its Buckét!!

Nothing against fat people, but these girls are fat with big beer bellies, from beer!

Really? Did you ask them? Could have been leftover baby weight, or perhaps they were just actually fat.

You can't mitigate your prejudice by saying "oh but they were fat because..." that's just bull****. That's like saying, "I have nothing against Jews, but this one actually converted to Judaism, so it's ok for me to hate him".

It smacks of "I'm not racist, but..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Fat it's gone from a descriptive term to a pejorative one.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Fat it's gone from a descriptive term to a pejorative one.

It's always been a pejorative one. That's why when I say "I'm fat" in front of mates they all coo "Oh shush, you're not fat, you're lovely", and I'm like, "so those terms are mutually exclusive now?"

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Its defo a more pejorative term now though. The double standard is running well too. Only yesterday I overheard a bloke comment on the size of this lassies arse and I turned around to look and he made jabba the hut look svelte.

On topic; Irish women are mannerly enough by comparison to Europe anyway. While I would admit that approaching irish women socially with a possible(or not) eye to more is harder than many foreign women(IMHO and my experience admittedly), Irish women are in the main quite well mannered. Where they do fall down(literally) is in the drinking stakes by comparison to outside ireland and that affects the manners bit.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

Wibbs wrote: »
    Where they do fall down(literally) is in the drinking stakes by comparison to outside ireland and that affects the manners bit.

It's the same with blokes and i think has a lot to do with how forgiving we are as a nation towards things that people do when they are drunk.

How many times have you seen someone explain away their behaviour on drink and everyone else nods along?

Being a drunk moron has basically become the scapegoat for people who need the excuse.

Personally i take the harsh line of judging the sober person on the actions of the drunk one. Why? Because the sober person made the decision to get drunk in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

It's not just the knackery Irish girls are spastics either, the Rochestown/Douglas/D4 girls are a pack of muppets aswell, think they're too good for every fella except for the bleached, messy haired **** stain rugby heads!

/rant!

Off topic I know, but what's the deal with people who have pretend messy hair? [/Seinfeld]
    I remember once I hadn't washed my hair in 3 or 4 days (music festival what can ya do?) and some girls remarked that they taught my hair was 'cool' and 'so in right now' not realising it was just filthy and messy.
    Like those jeans you can buy that have pre ripped knees... baseball caps with the peak all chewed up... pre faded 'retro' t-shirts.. BAH!
    You have to earn your battle scars not buy them! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I for one, find it the height of rudeness when the bitch wont swallow. I mean come on! It's for her health!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

*sharp intake of breath*

*runs away from Kold*

• Advertisement

Kold wrote: »
    I for one, find it the height of rudeness when the bitch wont swallow. I mean come on! It's for her health!

Funny... as long as you're being ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

shellyboo wrote: »
    Funny... as long as you're being ironic.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055399536

Kold wrote: »

Yes, that's what I meant... you could have just been being randomly offensive :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

Yes, that's what I meant... you could have just been being randomly offensive :P

No breast cancer for shellyboo or any of her offspring for that matter I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

...you could say that your typical friday/saturday night out sports behaviour from both sexes that you just wouldn't see in any capital on the continent ever.

Being so totally drunk in public that you're liable to do anything and actually do anything wouldn't be deemed acceptable at that scale in Europe. It can happen and it does happen and then it will be laughed at but too see it happen on such a large scale - no way.

<non-judgemental mode on, only describing what I see>
    And especially women. On the continent girls carry themselves differently and I'm not saying it's better or anything - but defny different. No way they would want to be seen in public in the state that most Irish female saturday nighters seem to find perfectly normal. For starters half of them are dressed like females of a certain profession. Which is nice to look at I don't mind. But being dressed like this and sporting the behaviour of drunken sailors is not a charming sight. It's been in Ireland where - after 20 years - I witnessed two done-up hotties in a fullblown fist fight in a street. In fairness now - there's something not quite right.
    <non-judgemental mode off>

I used to think the flocks of drunks on the streets is part of the Irish charm since they're mostly in great form, friendly and a great laugh. But I do find that it has become more agressive and obnoxious in recent years and thats especially for the girls.

now you can go on and tell me to eff-off to wherever I came from ;)

C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

I have no words for how i feel at the moment except despair. I feel sorry for our future generations with thesepeople for mothers out there. Had i not left the queue i am certain i would have been engaged in a physical altercation as i heard one of them as i left the qeue stating how she could 'defend her corner' against me.

Manners have been on the decline since the 20's ...

About defending corners .. if some 'woman' went for me and attacked me I'd do the required 'enough damage to get away' that is allowable in defence. In a club if I couldnt leave due to crowds or whatever I'd have no hesitation in putting a woman down on the ground or punching back square on the jaw. Equality and all that ya know :<
    Now I have always supported equal treatment for all but for some reason, there's a growing sense of female superiority and male inferiority in Ireland. No matter where I go, be it work, the shops, public transport etc, some women are so "in your face" and always up to challenge males with covert and overt aggressive behaviour.

its called excessive feminism. If they are so great then why do they need to show off ? - answer is insecurity. Same with men who need to show off too. People need to get a grip, a culture of individulaity is wreaking out society

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

realcam wrote: »
    now you can go on and tell me to eff-off to wherever I came from ;)

I'll start :pac:

No but seriously, I used to work in a pub in Oslo and have seen people getting equally drunk and disorderly. One guy was so drunk, he walked out the front door of the pub and got hit by a car. Another slightly drunk Norwegian guy came in and tried to order from me in Norwegian. Now I could speak it OK but didn't pick up everything so he starts hurling racist abuse at me & it was only because the Irish guy working with me was fluent that I found out what he was saying and he got turfed out pretty quick. I've been in taxis on my way home and had drunken girls (yes, with dresses up their arses) fall in front of the taxi.

Worst story of my waitressing career comes from...Norway: It's Sunday. The place is totally overrun and the girl I'm working with decides to have a panic-attack so I'm doing it all myself. I tell a group of 6 people that unfortunately they can't pay separately as I just don't have enough time and one of the women says: "What's wrong with you - do you have your period or something?". It was just awful.

Next worst story is from Paris - a guy actually whistling at me to get my attention. Point is? It wasn't in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

I think we all know people can be rude, can get drunk, can be rude and drunk together regardless of sex or nationality.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Really? Did you ask them? Could have been leftover baby weight, or perhaps they were just actually fat.

You can't mitigate your prejudice by saying "oh but they were fat because..." that's just bull****. That's like saying, "I have nothing against Jews, but this one actually converted to Judaism, so it's ok for me to hate him".

It smacks of "I'm not racist, but..."

*Sigh* Are you one of these people who automatically gives knackers the benefit of the doubt? They were fat from eating too many chips cheese and curry, then throw the leftovers on the ground for someone else to pick up. Mitigate my prejudice?
    I prejudice them because they're unmannerly obnoxious bitches, they look and sound disgusting, some big women can look well because they are naturally big. These women look disgusting because they have thin faces and big fat bellies from drinking cans and eating big macs. I hate scumbags, sue me.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have you been working on that reply for the last two weeks Dave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

Zaph wrote: »
    Have you been working on that reply for the last two weeks Dave?

Lol, no I just spotted someone quoted me and I wouldn't let them get away with such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

farohar wrote: »
    Have to say I've known plenty of girls who had great manners, even knew one who would cover her mouth while eating as she felt it was rude not to (pushing it a bit far unless you chew with your mouth open perhaps, but you get my point).
    I would say that on the whole manners (both male and female) have been dwindling over time in Ireland, there was a time where any time I held the door for someone I'd be thanked, these days folks will walk through and not just not thank you they will expect you to continue to hold it as they pass through when they saw you exit the door and so know you're not waiting to get through yourself.
    Keeping the door open until they can hold it open is just more energy efficient, takes more energy to re-open it than to hold it, but I shouldn't be expected to stand there for the day as folks pass through it after me, most not even acknowledging my existance.
    On buses the numbers thanking the driver as they disembark also seems to be on the decrease.

An American colleague told me that he felt we, as a nation, were the most rude people he'd encountered. As others in this thread have alluded to all I can put it down to is the Celtic Tiger leaving people with an unjustified sense of entitlement so they feel that they don't need manners to get by. Unfortunately this ignores that manners are more for social lubrication, to help us tolerate one another in groups. Undoubtedly there will be some impact from how parents raise children and also whether their peers show manners or not, but hopefully the economic downturn will perhaps teach some of these people the value of a simple "please" or "thank you".

I've been left holding the door like an unpaid doorman too, and it grates when people don't even give you a simple acknowledgement for an act of courtesy.

Generally though, I find that people respond like with like. I found myself in a very deprived area of Dublin recently, and I was pulling out of a side road when a gang of young lads, with their hoods up, were just stepping off the edge of the pavement. One of them glanced up and glared at me, but I smiled at him and waved them accross the road.

Every last one of them (there were six), smiled and waved their thanks to me.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Phlann

I cannot stand girls who get all mouthy and aggressive when they drink. It's absolutely disgusting.

And yes, guys do it too, but it's worse when girls pull it. Why? Because with guys there's a recognised, acceptable (well, maybe not 'acceptable') way of resolving it - you shout, square off or outright fight.

But when you've been raised to be respectful to women and to be nice to them and not insult them or punch them right in their stupid big mouths you just don't know what to do. It's quite embarrassing and confusing when you find yourself in a situation like that. I've always felt that the few women who do it are taking advantage of the chivalrous nature of many men and turning our good intentions against us. Which is pretty low.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

It's not just the knackery Irish girls are spastics either, the Rochestown/Douglas/D4 girls are a pack of muppets aswell, think they're too good for every fella except for the bleached, messy haired **** stain rugby heads!

/rant!

I've read as far as here and have to step into this BS. I know lots of girls from both Rochestown and D4 (lived in both), and have to say that none of these girls fit your stereotype. I can't recall any of my female frinds ever being with a "bleached, messy haired **** stain rugby head". In fact, they would probably probably laugh at the thought of it!

With regards Douglas, well, that's a very mixed suburb, and for every lady, there's 3 skangers - I'd never regard douglas, as a whole, as a "posh" suburb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

I don't like to generalize but I do blame the Irish wimmins for me not being as polite and gentlemanly as I used to. I used to always let a lady past me if we came to some sort of bottleneck i.e. doorway while out. however I could probably count the amount of thanks I got one one hand. Also quite a few of these 'lady's' would just shove past anyway so now I see it as dog-eat-dog and I don't stop for anyone. I mean I would be more enclined to let a lad go before me, atleast you have a better chance of receiving some gratitude

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

The Bollox wrote: »
    I don't like to generalize but I do blame the Irish wimmins for me not being as polite and gentlemanly as I used to. I used to always let a lady past me if we came to some sort of bottleneck i.e. doorway while out. however I could probably count the amount of thanks I got one one hand. Also quite a few of these 'lady's' would just shove past anyway so now I see it as dog-eat-dog and I don't stop for anyone. I mean I would be more enclined to let a lad go before me, atleast you have a better chance of receiving some gratitude

True,

but what makes a true gentleman is that he acts politely regardless of whether it is reciprocated (same applies to a lady). Thus you can hold your head high, as opposed to lowering yourself to the standards of the scum.

*Sigh* Are you one of these people who automatically gives knackers the benefit of the doubt? They were fat from eating too many chips cheese and curry, then throw the leftovers on the ground for someone else to pick up. Mitigate my prejudice?
    I prejudice them because they're unmannerly obnoxious bitches, they look and sound disgusting, some big women can look well because they are naturally big. These women look disgusting because they have thin faces and big fat bellies from drinking cans and eating big macs. I hate scumbags, sue me.

No, I'm one of these people who doesn't look down on people for the way that they look, just the way they act. If they were obnoxious, fine, that's unacceptable. Littering likewise. But the fact that they don't look well to you has absolutely nothing at all to do with their manners, which is in fact what this thread is about.

I am sick to absolute death of people slagging fat girls and then saying "oh but they're fat because they have disgusting habits so it's ok for me to slag them". Fcuk right off. I'm fat, and your narrow-minded attitude offends me. If I was anorexic you wouldn't think it was ok to make fun of anorexics and then dismiss it with a 'oh but I wasn't talking about YOU'. In fact, you'd get banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

this looks like another "tar them all with the same brush" rants going on...

Just cause a person is not conforming to some made up BS of what size a person should be, doesn't mean they are rude, abnoxious littering B*tches..
    they don't all stand around outside chippers bawling and dumping stuff on pavement...
    Yes a few do it, but just as many people who are the "ideal" size do it as well...
    A Scumbag is a scumbag, size, looks, appearence doesn't come into it....
    I know plenty of "skinny" ladies who would knife you without a second thought or have any remorse about it afterwards....
    Irish ladies are in general, very nice and lady like, your perception is blurred as the bad ones are all that you remember....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I also don't understand how their appearance comes into it. You hate scumbags - yeah, so do I. What on earth has that got to do with fatness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Dudess wrote: »
    I also don't understand how their appearance comes into it. You hate scumbags - yeah, so do I. What on earth has that got to do with fatness?

Indeed, I've encountered far more slender-average build scumbags than fat ones, and most of the fat ones were pregnant at the time so may not be so when not pregnant.

Advertisement