Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish women have NO MANNERS

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Reku

Have to say I've known plenty of girls who had great manners, even knew one who would cover her mouth while eating as she felt it was rude not to (pushing it a bit far unless you chew with your mouth open perhaps, but you get my point).
    I would say that on the whole manners (both male and female) have been dwindling over time in Ireland, there was a time where any time I held the door for someone I'd be thanked, these days folks will walk through and not just not thank you they will expect you to continue to hold it as they pass through when they saw you exit the door and so know you're not waiting to get through yourself.
    Keeping the door open until they can hold it open is just more energy efficient, takes more energy to re-open it than to hold it, but I shouldn't be expected to stand there for the day as folks pass through it after me, most not even acknowledging my existance.
    On buses the numbers thanking the driver as they disembark also seems to be on the decrease.

An American colleague told me that he felt we, as a nation, were the most rude people he'd encountered. As others in this thread have alluded to all I can put it down to is the Celtic Tiger leaving people with an unjustified sense of entitlement so they feel that they don't need manners to get by. Unfortunately this ignores that manners are more for social lubrication, to help us tolerate one another in groups. Undoubtedly there will be some impact from how parents raise children and also whether their peers show manners or not, but hopefully the economic downturn will perhaps teach some of these people the value of a simple "please" or "thank you".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

funkycat83 wrote: »
    I also feel bad and wrong to generalise Irish women in to this categoy but presently i feel as if i have no other choice.
    Troll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Maybe not trolling but perhaps misguided and inconsistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

When bad manners become the norm than as far as those bad mannered people are concered ,it's normal behaviour ,they dont know any different and remain, or choose to remain iggnorent .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I've noticed a growing trend of this whole 'ladette' culture in the last few years. Maybe it's just more noticeable since young women being rude is a fairly new thing while men have always been like that? :pac:
    Although its worth pointing out that most of these rude women scenarios seem to involve copious amounts of alcohol.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

In the light of day with a clear and sober head i realise i did make a very very sweeping satement and i do apologise.

However I have worked in a nightclub for a few years and have seen alot of this obnoxious drunken behaviour so last night was probably the last straw. I asked her to lower her tone because she was actually shrieking in my ear. Her reaction plus that of her friend in my eyes was a bit overboard.

Yes I also realise the errors in my post, many many aplogies and i also do not believe I was raised superior to anybody else in anyway what so ever.

Many many apologies and there shall be no more posting whilst under the influence of alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

I truly do feel for the Irish men out there I really do, no wonder one of my friends has given up completely on Irish females. and after tonight I dont blame him one bit. He is clearly better off.

There are men just the same out there.

You can't paint us all with the one brush, there are plenty that are still decent mannerly people. It's not hard to say thanks or your welcome etc, and if I hold the door open for someone and they dont say anything ill always make a point of sayin Your Welcome loud enough so they can hear.

Giving up completely on irish women is a bit much, Ive found foreigners just as rude. Its got nothing to do with origin, it's all about how you were brought up and raised. I'd have been shot if I didnt use my manners growing up and now 23 I still use them everyday and it peeves me off when people don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭funkycat83

Jemmy wrote: »
    Its got nothing to do with origin, it's all about how you were brought up and raised. I'd have been shot if I didnt use my manners growing up and now 23 I still use them everyday and it peeves me off when people don't.

+1

and again many apologies and yes i am SORRY i made a drunken sweeping statement and it wont hapen again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Jemmy wrote: »
    There are men just the same out there.

Giving up completely on irish women is a bit much, Ive found foreigners just as rude. Its got nothing to do with origin, it's all about how you were brought up and raised. I'd have been shot if I didnt use my manners growing up and now 23 I still use them everyday and it peeves me off when people don't.

It also has to do with culture. A friend of mine was complaining about how rude Londoners were when she and some friends were on the escalator and and how londoners just bumped right passed them with a snooty excuse me. But I had to explain to her that in big cities, like NYC it is considered rude to waste someones time and and just hanging out on the escalator getting in people's way is rude. She didn't get it.

Has a lot to do with origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Nursy

We are wasting time here discussing drunken antics... It is obvious!:pac::pac:
    It's ridiculous:eek::eek::eek::eek:
    Goodbye!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Irish women are the pits, lads get your self a nice asian woman and stop bitching...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

OP, did ya seriously ask them to "Lower their tone" using those exact words??

If I had been out with a mate having a laugh and someone said that to me I would have a few words to say back, what did you expect her to do, obey and apologise??:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭JaneyMc

Irish women are the pits, lads get your self a nice asian woman and stop bitching...:rolleyes:

mail order bride for you then was it? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

mail order bride for you then was it?

eh, no it wasnt... but it would sure beat a mail order b**** !

When ever Im out with my mates the carry on with women is absurd. Just ridiculous, trying to have a meangiful conversation with them seems like mission impossible..

• Registered Users Posts: 33,172 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Scandanavian, ftw... cheaper and dirtier!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

eh, no it wasnt... but it would sure beat a mail order b**** !

When ever Im out with my mates the carry on with women is absurd. Just ridiculous, trying to have a meangiful conversation with them seems like mission impossible..

x in the city. I don't know what it is but posts like yours always conjure up images like this. I'm not sure why...

nerd-46422.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

JaneyMc wrote: »
    You ran into a couple of drunk girls in a fast food place after a nights drinking. They were mean to you, so you come on here saying the female population of this country and their children are doomed to a life without manners?? It's a bit much to be honest.

A bit much? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

In the light of day with a clear and sober head i realise i did make a very very sweeping satement and i do apologise.

However I have worked in a nightclub for a few years and have seen alot of this obnoxious drunken behaviour so last night was probably the last straw. I asked her to lower her tone because she was actually shrieking in my ear. Her reaction plus that of her friend in my eyes was a bit overboard.

To be honest, what exactly did you expect her reaction to be??? I can safely say that if i was out, merry, having a laugh, and some dry****e told me to keep it down, i'd be having serious words with the dry****e in question(unless it was a garda!!). You were in a chipper late at night.......how exactly do you expect people to behave??? As they do in a libraby??? EHHHH no!!!! We all encounter knobends on our respective nights out, but you dont have to bring these people home with you, in fact you dont have to have anything to do with them.

I think YOU created this problem OP, not the overly noisy drunken girls.

Methinks you'd be a much happier bummy if you just lived and let live.

Manners and morals go out the window in the wee hours....

butta bing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

taconnol wrote: »
    nerd-46422.jpg

Serious question....... is that a guy or a girl? Either way, I'm scared!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i can categorically state that the op is wrong. Y'see, i was out last night and went to the chipper on my way home. There were 2 girls behind me, chatting away pleasantly. they were polite and friendly. Therefore, using the op's "logic", Irish women have manners!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I think YOU created this problem OP, not the overly noisy drunken girls.

Methinks you'd be a much happier bummy if you just lived and let live.

Manners and morals go out the window in the wee hours....

butta bing.

while i whole heartedly disagree with the op, i suppose its only fair to point out that people should (ideal world and all that) take responsibility for their actions, and not use alcohol as an excuse, and not expect to be absolved from any type of behaviour just because they're drunk.

(i'm not taking teh moral high ground here, have plenty of drunken mistakes myself - see my post in embarrassing moments thread!- but i just think people can expect to get away with being obnoxious twats because they've had a few.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

oh i know! right now i KNOW! i actually have no words! and what sickens me the most is -I too- am an Irish Female, thankfully I can thank my parents for raising me properly with manners and decency.

I truly do feel for the Irish men out there I really do, no wonder one of my friends has given up completely on Irish females. and after tonight I dont blame him one bit. He is clearly better off.

I was out with my Slovakian princess Saturday night, as we were walking down Patrick St. we pass two bleached blonde girls around 20-21, one of them had McDonald's in her hand, a big fat belly, big hoopy earrings and some ****ty La Coq Sportif pink jumper, the other one was smoking a fag and summoning all the phlegm in her body into one almighty spit into the middle of the pavement. I looked at them, looked back at my girl and just thanked god I wasn't one of the unlucky bastards to be marrying one of them in the future!

Obviously there are some great, super Irish women out there, but they're declining! Last time I even scored/kissed an Irish girl would've been 8 months ago at least..

It's not just the knackery Irish girls are spastics either, the Rochestown/Douglas/D4 girls are a pack of muppets aswell, think they're too good for every fella except for the bleached, messy haired **** stain rugby heads!

/rant!

Just so the lovely Irish girls don't get offended on boards, ye're all great, but the horrible, unmannerly, ugly, fat, ignorant, obnoxious Irish girls are on the increase, as are Irish males.. Luckily for me, I was brought up well in a good home and taught manners from day one. I would find it hard not to say please or thanks to someone, and I expect the same back, the OP is right, it is declining. Think people in this thread took her up wrong as if she was attacking YOU personally.

Anyway, hope this gets me off the hook with all the lovely, lovely, ladies here :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

*sigh* are there not enough of these threads in AH?

I thought the point of LL was so that we wouldn't have to listen to these "rants". I don't mind talking about the subject but guys coming on posting up anecdotes of this fatgirl/that girl (they always seem to be fat as well as everything else)...it's getting a bit monotonous.

Edit: Dave147, no offense meant to you personally - just call me jaded ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

Ah come on folks, the op apologised, she was drunk and said something she didn't really think through, probably just like the girls she's giving out about! We've all said a few things or acted in some way we've regretted when drunk. Not all of us have the decency to apologise and own up to it so fair play op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dave147 wrote: »
    It's not just the knackery Irish girls are spastics either, the Rochestown/Douglas/D4 girls are a pack of muppets aswell, think they're too good for every fella except for the bleached, messy haired **** stain rugby heads!
    Oh yeah, I get the UCC park & ride bus and there's always several of the girls you're talking about on it - gobshytery I never thought possible.
    taconnol wrote: »
    guys coming on posting up anecdotes of this fatgirl/that girl (they always seem to be fat as well as everything else)...it's getting a bit monotonous.
    Yeah, like here:
    Just so the lovely Irish girls don't get offended on boards, ye're all great, but the horrible, unmannerly, ugly, fat, ignorant, obnoxious Irish girls are on the increase, as are Irish males
    What about the scrawny ones? And people can't help it if they are ugly...

Yeah taconnol, nine times out of ten when someone personally abuses me here, the first insult they always come up with is "fat" which is highly amusing considering they've never even seen me.
    Suppose they're looking at my avatar/sig... Sigh... Guess the owner of a pea-brain isn't able to see beyond their nose.
    Or else they're assuming just because I object to bullying of overweight people I must also be overweight - as if the two just have to be mutually exclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Peared

You asked people on a night out in a public place to be quiet?

Am surprised all you got was NO MANNERS.

Hyacinth Bucket ftw.

Its Buckét!!

Nothing against fat people, but these girls are fat with big beer bellies, from beer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Its Buckét!!

Nothing against fat people, but these girls are fat with big beer bellies, from beer!

And? Are only men allowed to drink beer?

• Advertisement

Its Buckét!!

OMG! Like no way! WOmen...drinking beer? And, like, with beer bellies? That's like sooo gross. But so hot when men have them.

Advertisement