Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Diabetes] General Chat and Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭jimf

banie01 wrote: »
    Yes, its quite a common transplant.
    Type 2 can be put into remission as can be demonstrated my Mak here and a few others.
    Simple but determined lifestyle changes can also massively improve the prognosis of many Diabetes patients.

thanks banie I know it has been tried
    just wondering on the success side good to hear

has what been tried?

pancreas transplant I know has been tried

was wondering if we knew of any success stories

• Registered Users Posts: 16,556 ✭✭✭✭banie01

jimf wrote: »
    thanks banie I know it has been tried
    just wondering on the success side good to hear

I should say that its a type 1 specific transplant.
    Now as the current theory is that most type 2 will develop into T1 and require insulin dependence at some point if the patient lives long enough ;)
    It could be argued that transplants are a cure.

T2 is usually a combo of failing insulin production and increased resistance to the Insulin a patient does produce.
    So treatments like metformin are designed to alleviate that and assist in either flushing excess glucose in the newer treatments or improving insulin response to the body's own production.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

pancreas transplant I know has been tried

was wondering if we knew of any success stories

Oh it will cure your diabetes. Unfortunately it will come with all the complications of any transplant surgery.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭davork

Oh it will cure your diabetes. Unfortunately it will come with all the complications of any transplant surgery.
    I should say that its a type 1 specific transplant.
    Now as the current theory is that most type 2 will develop into T1 and require insulin dependence at some point if the patient lives long enough ;)
    It could be argued that transplants are a cure.

Only T1 is mentioned here, and then with two different options:
    - Pancreas
    - Pancreas Islets

Both are down as clinical trials...

This US government site goes into more detail (again only for T10 https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/insulin-medicines-treatments/pancreatic-islet-transplantation And yes, immunosuppressants have to be used...

In Ireland, we have a center at St Vicents... https://www.stvincents.ie/departments/national-pancreas-transplant-programme/ again for T1 only

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Rushy Fields

I've had shocking wind for the few months I'm a T1 diabetic and on 8 units of Levamir twice a day and Novorapid approx 8 units four times per day. My question is: Do type 1 diabetics suffer with excess farting? Is there anything be done about this embarrassing issue?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I've had shocking wind for the few months I'm a T1 diabetic and on 8 units of Levamir twice a day and Novorapid approx 8 units four times per day. My question is: Do type 1 diabetics suffer with excess farting? Is there anything be done about this embarrassing issue?

What changed in the last few months, presuming you have been a T1D for awhile?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,240 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

davork wrote: »
    Only T1 is mentioned here, and then with two different options:
    - Pancreas
    - Pancreas Islets

Both are down as clinical trials...

This US government site goes into more detail (again only for T10 https://www.niddk.nih.gov/health-information/diabetes/overview/insulin-medicines-treatments/pancreatic-islet-transplantation And yes, immunosuppressants have to be used...

In Ireland, we have a center at St Vicents... https://www.stvincents.ie/departments/national-pancreas-transplant-programme/ again for T1 only

well yes, T1 is the only type they give pancreas transplants to. That is because doing it for T2 patients (and even for T1 patients with no complications) would make the cure worse than the disease.

CramCycle wrote: »
    What changed in the last few months, presuming you have been a T1D for awhile?

I dont really know. Nothing out of the ordinary. Was in Spain on Holidays and there have been a few kids birthday parties with my BG numbers higher than regular but they are back down below 10 on most occassions.
    I wonder do i need to tatally cut out certain foods?
    The wind isnt smelly but it feels as if its happening nearly 5 or 10 minutes of the day.

I dont really know. Nothing out of the ordinary. Was in Spain on Holidays and there have been a few kids birthday parties with my BG numbers higher than regular but they are back down below 10 on most occassions.
    I wonder do i need to tatally cut out certain foods?
    The wind isnt smelly but it feels as if its happening nearly 5 or 10 minutes of the day.

If you have had type 1 Diabetes for a few years though, I can't see it being directly related, I haven't had any issues like that unless I change my diet. It is certainly not a symptom anyone has ever mentioned. Do you have any other issues etc. that might warrant a doctors attention.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Yes, its quite a common transplant.
    Type 2 can be put into remission as can be demonstrated my Mak here and a few others.
    Simple but determined lifestyle changes can also massively improve the prognosis of many Diabetes patients.

I was very lucky in so far as I come from a sporting background, and although making poor lifestyle choices I was still competing in Judo at +100kgs

In short, allowing myself become over weight gave me diabetes. I've no one to blame but myself.

Because I was involved in both competitive kickboxing and Judo for as long as I can remember I knew how to drop the weight, but learning to read labels and make long term lifestyle changes were as difficult for me as anyone else.

But for me it was worth the effort. I was on Metformin for two years and really put my head down in dealing with my lifestyle, made all the changes and thankfully it paid off.

I have to mention this forum too, its probably the best source of help and motivation anywhere. I'd subscribed to all sorts of facebook pages and forum and found most were just full of people feeling very sorry for themselves and centered all the discussion on themselves, or constant arguing between T1's and T2's.

There's none of that here and as a result this is the first place I direct people to (online) for help and motivation.

Seeing this on the form for a HBA1C test recently made it all worthwhile

487326.jpg

The writing says;

'WT loss 30kg. No longer type II dia.. Stopped Metforum 8/5/19'

You're all brilliant for advice, each and every one of you. Thank you

To those newly diagnosed T2, it feels like your world has come crashing down around you but it can be the kick up the hole (like me) you needed to sort yourself out and live a longer and much healthier lifestyle.

If you have had type 1 Diabetes for a few years though, I can't see it being directly related, I haven't had any issues like that unless I change my diet. It is certainly not a symptom anyone has ever mentioned. Do you have any other issues etc. that might warrant a doctors attention.

No other worrying symptoms. Though i have gained 2kg over the last 4mths. My exercise is limited to walking and running around after the littleones in my life...
    It may not be related to diabetes it may be something else.....

@Makikomi.

In all honesty, if I could take just your posts from your diagnosis thru to your last one there and split them out into a sticky I would.

You approached your diagnosis as an opponent to be bested.
    You sought all the appropriate help and advice, you shared your progress and you honestly have inspired at least 1 person here to give your example a try.

It would be a good baseline particularly for newly diagnosed T2 and pre-diabetics to show that their condition doesn't have to be treated as a catastrophe.

That you have managed remission is honestly one of my favourite posts in all the time I've been posting on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Diagnosed by gp as t2 6 months ago

But i want to attend a clinic every few months to monitor my bloods

Where is best ( in dublin ) or is gp adequate ?

Diagnosed by gp as t2 6 months ago

But i want to attend a clinic every few months to monitor my bloods

Where is best ( in dublin ) or is gp adequate ?

do you test your own levels

your hba1c is the best it gives a good indicator of your blood glucose levels over the previous 3 months do you know at what level yours was at diagnosis

your gp should be able to do all for now

are your on meds

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

do you test your own levels

your hba1c is the best it gives a good indicator of your blood glucose levels over the previous 3 months do you know at what level yours was at diagnosis

your gp should be able to do all for now

are your on meds

Yeah metaformine

I finger pr1ck myself

Yeah metaformine

I finger pr1ck myself

what kind of readings are you getting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bunch of us were moved from the Animas pump to the Medtronic 640G yesterday. Nice pump with a lot more options as regards inserts. I am having a lot of issues in the last 6 months with inserts being pulled out at some stage during the day and readings up to 14s and 15s by the time I realise I have it pulled out. I'd generally be replacing an insert about one in every 2 new cartridges.

Next up is another day with getting the CGM synced in a few weeks time.

And the test meter supplied syncs automatically with your pump so all you have to do is dial up your carbs. The 670 apparently can give some insulin when your bloods get too high with a CGM to prevent ketosis so that's an interesting development.

So now I'm going for a longer cannula (17mm) at a 45 degree insertion so that should reduce the problem a lot, hopefully.

And, for anyone waiting for the new 670 pump, don't hold your breath. The tender is on hold with a number of months waiting on someone to be appointed to fill the position so that this pump and other items can be passed for purchase.

And your battery is covered under your prescription as well so make sure you get that added to your prescription as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭questionmark

https://www.diabetes.ie/atlantia-type-ii-diabetes-study/

Diabetes study for people in cork with type 2 , sounds pretty cool

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Hi All,

I’m a type 1 for the past 20 years. I am currently trying to get a pump or CGM. I go to the diabetes clinic in Clonmel hospital (STGH) and asked to be referred to Cork as there’s no pump support team in Clonmel.

I had to meet a dietician to understand how to count carbs and am due back again in 3 weeks for a meet again with dietician. It’s my assumption once they can determine my insulin to carb ratio that I’ll then be sent to Cork re the pump.

What are my chances of getting a pump ?, is this something that all type 1’s can get ?. I met a woman recently and she told me that all T1 diabetics are entitled to a pump or CGM.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do in order to get the pump ? , this is all new to me.

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

For those on the pump with CGM, is the transmitter free through the LTI Scheme? Or are you given one when set up with it? Or do you have to buy it?

I can’t seem to get an answer to that and the pharmacist says it’s not covered under the LTI.

ddarcy wrote: »
    For those on the pump with CGM, is the transmitter free through the LTI Scheme? Or are you given one when set up with it? Or do you have to buy it?

I can’t seem to get an answer to that and the pharmacist says it’s not covered under the LTI.

You get one when it is set up via your hospital, they normally get a rep in to walk through it with you. After that it is only the insertion/attachment things that are covered under LTI.

Mine fell out somewhere and I can't get a replacement :(

ddarcy wrote: »

I'm due to start on the Medtronic CGM in a few weeks and they supplied the transmitter to us and, as far as I know, the inserts are covered as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭ddarcy

Thanks, that seemed like the logical idea behind it. I do wonder though, from the Medtronic site in the USA they say to replace it annually. I can see the battery life not lasting th whole period of the pump.

https://www.diabetes.ie/atlantia-type-ii-diabetes-study/

Diabetes study for people in cork with type 2 , sounds pretty cool

Just on this, I spoke with one of the research leads today.

Their patient criteria for inclusion in the trial are quite narrow.
    Control via diet and exercise HbA1c of 6.5 to be considered.
    Control via Metformin only HbA1c between 7-8 will be considered.
    I'm no use to them as my own Diabetes is too well controlled :(

No insulin dependent T2 diabetes or multi drug patients, but if you want to contact them do.
    They really are looking hard for people to support the study, and if you are suitable, are selected and complete the 12 weeks you will receive €575 as well as helping further study into Diabetes.

They obviously have a loose enough ethics committee, we are never allowed offer anything on our trials, which makes recruitment really hard. Also their parameters, if I have read it right, are too narrow, anything they attempt to publish will get shredded by the reviewers

They obviously have a loose enough ethics committee, we are never allowed offer anything on our trials, which makes recruitment really hard. Also their parameters, if I have read it right, are too narrow, anything they attempt to publish will get shredded by the reviewers

I agree 100% on the scoping of their study cohort.
    They basically want already ideally controlled T2 patients.
    Now perhaps that is their control?
    And there is a group of near amputees somewhere as the other side of the study but the range is very restricted and I'd wonder what actual result they hope to demonstrate.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Anyone ?

quote="thehorse;111210750"]Hi All,

I’m a type 1 for the past 20 years. I am currently trying to get a pump or CGM. I go to the diabetes clinic in Clonmel hospital (STGH) and asked to be referred to Cork as there’s no pump support team in Clonmel.

I had to meet a dietician to understand how to count carbs and am due back again in 3 weeks for a meet again with dietician. It’s my assumption once they can determine my insulin to carb ratio that I’ll then be sent to Cork re the pump.

What are my chances of getting a pump ?, is this something that all type 1’s can get ?. I met a woman recently and she told me that all T1 diabetics are entitled to a pump or CGM.

Can anyone give me some advice on what I need to do in order to get the pump ? , this is all new to me.

Thanks[/quote]

thehorse wrote: »
    Anyone ?

Thanks
    [/quote]

Your best bet would be to talk to your Endocrinologist in charge of your care and discuss your suitability for a pump and CGM.

• Advertisement

thehorse wrote: »
    Anyone ?

Thanks
    [/QUOte]

It depends on the hospital, do they have a Pump Nurse, do they have any pumps, how long is the waiting list, what is the endocrinologists view etc. Even then it may not happen. Get your appointment in Cork, talk to the Nurse and the Endo and say it straight, you want a pump, what do you need me to do to get it. It will still be a wait. The fact that your only learnign to carb count and have been Type 1 for 20 years means their might be quite a few hoops for them to train you up on.

Advertisement