Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clonmel Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭touts

Deiseland wrote: »
    Is there any truth in the rumour that there is a mosque been built up in Irishtown. Where Sean o Donoghue’s used to be. According to sources planning permission has been approved.

Where are they all going to park on a busy Friday which is there prayer day? Irishtown is extremely busy when mass is on in St Mary’s on a sat/sun. So can’t imagine what it would be like on a Friday.

I think it would be great to have a mosque near the middle of the town. Too many places have allowed the worst fears of a few racists to force mosques and Islamic cultural center out into industrial estates etc where they are isolated from the wider community.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

touts wrote: »
    I think it would be great to have a mosque near the middle of the town. Too many places have allowed the worst fears of a few racists to force mosques and Islamic cultural center out into industrial estates etc where they are isolated from the wider community.

That is a disastrous spot though in terms of parking. If there’s a funeral on, and both schools in Irish town, parking is already manic around lunchtime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

The closure of the 19th hole was for personal reasons and was not business related.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Deiseland wrote: »
    Is there any truth in the rumour that there is a mosque been built up in Irishtown. Where Sean o Donoghue’s used to be. According to sources planning permission has been approved.

Where are they all going to park on a busy Friday which is there prayer day? Irishtown is extremely busy when mass is on in St Mary’s on a sat/sun. So can’t imagine what it would be like on a Friday.
    The car park beside St Mary's church is mostly half empty these days since they started charging to go in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Giosta

Anybody know the story with the new wooden cross that’s been erected up at the Holy Year Cross? It’s just below the main cross, smaller in size and has been fixed into the ground.

• Advertisement

Hoe do they think this will work? If the spent the money on staff to actually visit the dump sites, they might have some chance of gathering evidence before it gets scattered to the 4 corners of the countryside. http://tippfm.com/news/tipperary-county-council/council-use-technology-tackle-illegal-dumping/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Hoe do they think this will work? If the spent the money on staff to actually visit the dump sites, they might have some chance of gathering evidence before it gets scattered to the 4 corners of the countryside. http://tippfm.com/news/tipperary-county-council/council-use-technology-tackle-illegal-dumping/

It seems to be getting worse. I honestly thought we had moved past this but in recent years the problem seems to have returned as bad as ever. Every road you drive along you see rubbish scattered along the grass margins. Some of it is people dumping black sacks of rubbish to others just emptying the contents of their cars as they drive along. The thoughtlessness of some people is shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are there any areas of Clonmel that you would not recommend buying a house? - thinking in terms of a smallish townhouse/ estate house.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭julyjane

VILA in Clonmel has closed according to Facebook, along with other shops so probably not a showgrounds specific reason. I'll miss it I always found the girls there very helpful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

julyjane wrote: »
    VILA in Clonmel has closed according to Facebook, along with other shops so probably not a showgrounds specific reason. I'll miss it I always found the girls there very helpful

I heard the staff went in to work on Sunday and the doors were closed. Clonmel is dying without investment and a relook at the costs of the rates.

I was on the Blueway walk on Saturday - only about 200 people from the Clonmel side and we walked to Kilsheelan. What a fabulous amenity, beautiful views, could do with a few bins / doggy bins and we were treated to a delicious spread in Kilsheelan by the Tidy Town Committee - it will be an attraction to the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,354 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

julyjane wrote: »

Vila closed in Wexford a few weeks ago.
    They made an announcement the next day to say everything was fine with other stores/etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

With Vila they didn't receive deliveries for the last 8 weeks, it might be temporary I believe it may be linked with Asos some connection there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

I heard the staff went in to work on Sunday and the doors were closed. Clonmel is dying without investment and a relook at the costs of the rates.

I was on the Blueway walk on Saturday - only about 200 people from the Clonmel side and we walked to Kilsheelan. What a fabulous amenity, beautiful views, could do with a few bins / doggy bins and we were treated to a delicious spread in Kilsheelan by the Tidy Town Committee - it will be an attraction to the area.

Villas closing has nothing to do with investment or rates. They closed 12 shops nationwide the franchise owner went bust.

Villas closing has nothing to do with investment or rates. .........

I know this but I was talking in general - that's another shop / jobs gone, about 5 in the last month - Clonmel used to be such a vibrant town and there are days now its just so quiet.

We need investment and a lowering of the rates would give people incentive to maybe have a start up business. We won't know unless we try

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I know this but I was talking in general - that's another shop / jobs gone, about 5 in the last month - Clonmel used to be such a vibrant town and there are days now its just so quiet.

We need investment and a lowering of the rates would give people incentive to maybe have a start up business. We won't know unless we try

What % of the weekly outgoings of a shop in Clonmel would be rates, versus Rents or Wages or Heat & Light, I wonder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Was reading over some of the election material that's come in the door the last few weeks particularly those up for reelection not sure how some of them can spout off priorities that there is no indication that they were priorities during their last tenure.

I notice on not just one leaflet btw, the person's priority is a skatepark strange I would have assumed skateboarding interest had dropped massively.

Vizzy wrote: »
    What % of the weekly outgoings of a shop in Clonmel would be rates, versus Rents or Wages or Heat & Light, I wonder.

Impossible to say

Depends on size of shop, where in the town it is, how cold it is etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Was reading over some of the election material that's come in the door the last few weeks particularly those up for reelection not sure how some of them can spout off priorities that there is no indication that they were priorities during their last tenure.

I notice on not just one leaflet btw, the person's priority is a skatepark strange I would have assumed skateboarding interest had dropped massively.

What I can’t understand is how nothing is mentioned about all the recent issues with horse welfare...how many more horses will starve to death/ get maltreated in the Clonmel area before they get off their arses ??

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭upupup

solerina wrote: »
    What I can’t understand is how nothing is mentioned about all the recent issues with horse welfare...how many more horses will starve to death/ get maltreated in the Clonmel area before they get off their arses ??

The government blocked plans for a horse warden and the council spent thousands before rounding up all the horses and caring for them,,,then a judge ordered that the horses be returned to the owners.They have tried:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Impossible to say

Depends on size of shop, where in the town it is, how cold it is etc,

So, reducing rates and getting some investment might have a minimal effect ?

• Advertisement

Vizzy wrote: »
    So, reducing rates and getting some investment might have a minimal effect ?

It might have a great effect - we will never know unless we try.

They are doing something. “Plans are well in hand to future-proof Clonmel.

A 1 million euro design process has already been signed off with contractors to transform the Market town including upgrades to O’Connell St, Gladstone St and Irishtown

This will be carried out with the support of the Association of Clonmel Traders and Clonmel Chamber.” http://tippfm.com/news/tipperary-county-council/clonmel-re-design-process-underway/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭Expunge

.....and the people of Clonmel will magically stop shopping online and will only visit bricks and mortar shops when the pavements and street furniture have been upgraded. (and the dog **** magically disappears forever!)

Let's face it folks. It's over for retail shopping in town centres as we knew it.

The town centre is about coffee shops, hairdressers, barbers and charideee shops and chemists.

The most urgent upgrading needed is the back of the Post Office, where working people go to collect their Amazon parcels.

That should be a high street location with an Argos style system to retrieve the parcels. Not the little cubby hole they use at the moment with the poor An Post people rooting around, looking for stuff.

You'd imagine it's becoming a huge part of An Post's business and it's embarrassing how it's presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭zurbfoundation

Expunge wrote: »
    The most urgent upgrading needed is the back of the Post Office, where working people go to collect their Amazon parcels.

That should be a high street location with an Argos style system to retrieve the parcels. Not the little cubby hole they use at the moment with the poor An Post people rooting around, looking for stuff.

You'd imagine it's becoming a huge part of An Post's business and it's embarrassing how it's presented.

This is completely a matter for An Post though - its only pretty recently they extended their open hours for parcel collection past office hours - so you can take that as an indication of how much importance they would hold your particular suggestion. Couriers and Parcel Motel probably most dominant in this space.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,070 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Should Clonmel be designated as a rent pressure zone. I would think so.

Read more here.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Xenophile wrote: »
    Should Clonmel be designated as a rent pressure zone. I would think so.

Read more here.

https://onestopshop.rtb.ie/rent-pressure-zones/

If there was property to rent there it should be. I know someone struggling to find a rental property in town, only a handful the last time I browsed Daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,371 ✭✭✭pooch90

solerina wrote: »

Catherine Carey has mentioned it and campaigned for the horse warden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

If there was property to rent there it should be. I know someone struggling to find a rental property in town, only a handful the last time I browsed Daft.

I know DAFT catches most things but I find property.ie has a few things occasionally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,210 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Kind of on a similar topic, can anyone suggest what part of Clonmel they would recommend for an elderly lady thinking of moving into town from the country. I'm not much help because I only vaguely know the town, what areas would you recommend - or possible warn off?

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Kind of on a similar topic, can anyone suggest what part of Clonmel they would recommend for an elderly lady thinking of moving into town from the country. I'm not much help because I only vaguely know the town, what areas would you recommend - or possible warn off?

Your best bet is to talk to a reputable estate agent. There’s not much they don’t know.

Advertisement