Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boating chit chat thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Hard to beat this one tho..

Scary stuff..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,040 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

https://www.facebook.com/goldengloberace/photos/a.1757662391153818/2134858163434237/?type=3&theater

Looks like Gregor McGuckin is gone from the Golden Globe Race. But his boat (hull) and he are ok.

Mizzen mast lost earlier today, now the whole rig.

Seems to be carnage out there, 70kt winds and mountainous seas.

Nuts :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭Conchir

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    https://www.facebook.com/goldengloberace/photos/a.1757662391153818/2134858163434237/?type=3&theater

Looks like Gregor McGuckin is gone from the Golden Globe Race. But his boat (hull) and he are ok.

Mizzen mast lost earlier today, now the whole rig.

Seems to be carnage out there, 70kt winds and mountainous seas.

Nuts :eek:

Carnage indeed, another competitor Abhilash Tomy was also dismasted and in the process sustained a back injury, and apparently now cannot move. Hopefully himself and Gregor stay safe and get to port relatively soon.

It’s a shame in terms of the race as Gregor was doing phenomenally well, third place for much of the time. Now just praying for a safe return of course. Some serious weather down there and a good chunk of the fleet caught in it, hopefully there isn’t too much more damage done.

https://goldengloberace.com/media-update-at-2100-utc/
    There has been no further communication with Abhilash Tomy, the 39-year old Indian Golden Globe Race skipper since his dramatic text message at 12:09 UTC today: ROLLED. DISMASTED. SEVERE BACK INJURY. CANNOT GET UP.

Must be terrifying. An all ships alert has been issued by the Australian Defence Forces to find him, but his last known position is 1900 miles SW of Perth. Gregor McGuckin is almost definitely the closest vessel to him at the moment, 100 miles SW. Having been rolled and dismasted himself, surely he can’t be in a great position to help.

• Advertisement

Conchir wrote: »
    https://goldengloberace.com/media-update-at-2100-utc/

Must be terrifying. An all ships alert has been issued by the Australian Defence Forces to find him, but his last known position is 1900 miles SW of Perth. Gregor McGuckin is almost definitely the closest vessel to him at the moment, 100 miles SW. Having been rolled and dismasted himself, surely he can’t be in a great position to help.
    He has said that his engine is still working (how he knows that at the moment I have no idea!) and that once things calm down a bit and he does some repairs he's going to try to motor to Abhilash.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Weather looking a whole lot better for tomorrow for https://www.dmyc.ie/2018/100-boats-100-years-leinster-centenary/ than it was a day or two ago!

Looking forward to it (now)....

Last hurrah, for me, for the season.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There’s nothing like a good Kish race, just out and back with the wind blowing whatever way it wants to!!

Looks like it’ll be a nice broad reach out, and a close reach back! Should make for fast times

any one do the kish race today? perfect weather yesterday in howth compared to 24 hours before

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

neris wrote: »
    any one do the kish race today? perfect weather yesterday in howth compared to 24 hours before

I did. Was great on the out and round the Kish, but on the way back it got a little hairy for me (and few other stragglers).

Was gusting Force 7 at one stage on the way back. I got a small rip in my mainsail and ended up retiring/motoring in (the last mile or so). A few others retired on the way back too (one had a broke it's rudder and needed a two back in).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Bad luck to both of these guys, but thankfully they are still alive and now in safe hands.
    DAY 85 – RESCUE UPDATE:
    Injured solo sailor rescued succesfully by French fisheries patrol vessel
    Abhilash Tomy ‘concious and talking’

Media update 07:00 UTC 23.9.2018 Les Sables d’Olonne, France
    Day 4 of the rescue of injured Indian Golden Globe Race solo sailor Abhilash Tomy from his dismasted yacht Thuriya approximately 1,900 miles SW of Perth Western Australia

The French fisheries patrol vessel Osiris reached Tomy’s yacht at 05:30 UTC today and Australian and Indian long range P8 Orion reconnaissance aircraft are circling overhead. Thuriya’s position is 39 32.79S and 78 3.29E

Weather conditions are favourable: 15-20knots from the South West, 2m swells and good visibility. A radio briefing was held between the Maritime Rescue Co-ordination Centre on Reunion Island, a doctor located on Amsterdam Island, and the master of the Osiris before the French crew boarded Thuriya from Zodiac inflatable boats to administer immediate first-aid and assess his condition.

Abhilash Tomy, 39, is a Commander in the Indian Navy and has been confined to his bunk, unable to move since his yacht was rolled through 360° and dismasted in a vicious Southern Ocean storm last Friday.

Fellow GGR skipper Gregor Mcguckin whose yacht Hanley Energy Endurance was also dismasted in the same storm last week, is making 2.2 knots towards Thuriya’s position, sailing under jury rig. The 32-year old Irishman is still 25 miles to the West and in radio contact with the reconnaissance aircraft. He is not in distress but has asked for a controlled evacuation from his yacht.

Faced with a 1,900 mile sail across the Southern Ocean to Western Australia under a small jury rig and without an engine (his fuel was contaminated when the yacht capsized), this is a responsible decision taken by a professional sailor when all the rescue assets are close by. The alternative would have been to continue sailing singlehanded without the aid of self-steering (also smashed in the capsize) and risk having to call on the Rescue Services again should he be disabled further in another storm.

Once the two solo yachtsmen are safely aboard the Osiris the French fisheries patrol ship will proceed to Amsterdam Island where the rescued sailors will be given a full medical examination. The hospital on Amsterdam Island is well equipped with X-ray and ultrasound equipment.

Race organisers continue to work closely with The Australian Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre and are extremely grateful for the efforts being made by all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,965 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hope they are ok and that Abhilash makes a full recovery, must be hard to be abandoning two boats like that. I wonder if Gregor is tempted to take the spinny poles and make jury rig on Thuriya and sail it back ;-)

Hope they are ok and that Abhilash makes a full recovery, must be hard to be abandoning two boats like that. I wonder if Gregor is tempted to take the spinny poles and make jury rig on Thuriya and sail it back ;-)
    I'd say he might have just had enough of sailing for time being :D

Or who knows, maybe not - he was mad enough to enter the race in the first place!

I presume they'll scuttle the boats once they're both taken off. An awful shame really.

This really is turning into the hare and the tortoise race - just get home in any sort of shape and you'd have to be odds on for the win.

I wonder given the way things turned this week will questions be asked about the wisdom of running a race like this again. As far as I know it was planned to run it every four years (or at least there was one planned for four years' time), be interesting to see if that happens in reality. I'd say there's a lot of soul-searching to be done on the part of the organisers after this week.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    just get home in any sort of shape and you'd have to be odds on for the win.

and thats pretty much how the original race worked out!!

It was probably considered madness at the time to attempt it in the boats of the day!

and thats pretty much how the original race worked out!!

It was probably considered madness at the time to attempt it in the boats of the day!

The current leader van den Heede seems to be having a great ol time, romping along past Cape Leeuwin and 1300-odd miles ahead of second place. Reading his text updates as they come in, I kind of get a Moitessier-type impression of him, just enjoying the whole thing. His most recent one that I could find: “Finished with the Indian Ocean map. Here I am in the Kangaroos country”. I know it’s still an awful long way to go, but as each update comes in I find it harder to think he might be caught.

Glad to hear about Tomy and McGuckin! They’ll have quite a tale to tell I’m sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,217 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

New series from RTE. Starting on Sunday at 6:30pm. :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,323 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

A nice little video on the Skerries currach.

This was up on the afloat website the other day on research from the UK but I can see alot of comparisons over here.

https://afloat.ie/blogs/tom-macsweeney/item/40685-what-is-the-future-of-sailing

A year-long research study for the British Marine Federation concluded that, in contrast to the “older age group” which traditionally and still – buys and maintains boats and holds club memberships, the “Millenials” want easier and instant access to sport and will go for those sports which provide it – “pay and play” – was the preferred approach…

I dont see alot of people in their late 20s or early 30s buying boats anymore for club racing. My view would have been that years ago guys in their 20s - early 30s bought as an individual or partnership a small 25-30 footer for club racing and progressed through sizes & classes. I know that life has changed and people are having enough trouble trying to get homes and mortgages
    the loss of the age group from the teenage years into the mid-30s from the sport. The belief that they will return after marriage and early family development is not any longer quite so sure across the water.

This is the same here I think. Very few people I grew up on sailing courses & racing against in dinghy regattas with in the mid 90s as kids sail anymore and they gave up along time before they had kids or marriages. This probably just repeats the above

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭W1ll1s

One of Marks Slats doubts was the early start of the race. Most skippers would have preferred a start in late August or September.

Gregor is doing fine on the big-boat!

The recent totally carbon-free delivery of six tons of Irish craft beer from Cork to France
    Brehon Brewhouse was founded in 2013 by Seamus McMahon at his family’s farm in the Patrick Kavanagh neighbourhood of County Monaghan, midway between Inniskeen and Carrickmacross, and it has expanded steadily ever since with a growing range of connoisseur beers.

https://afloat.ie/port-news/port-and-shipping-news/item/40916-irish-craft-beer-delivered-on-cornish-lugger-from-cork-to-france

Whats the point in sending booze made in Monghan to France via Cork when a good part of that journey was probably done on the back on diesel powered van or truck?? It probably would have been cheaper and quicker to stick in the back of an artic and have it in france less then 2 days later

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

https://afloat.ie/port-news/port-and-shipping-news/item/40916-irish-craft-beer-delivered-on-cornish-lugger-from-cork-to-france

Whats the point in sending booze made in Monghan to France via Cork when a good part of that journey was probably done on the back on diesel powered van or truck?? It probably would have been cheaper and quicker to stick in the back of an artic and have it in france less then 2 days later

If they did that, there'd be no story!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

YOUTUBE

I cringe when I see stuff like that.

Look at the broach, vang still on hard and kite trimmer was not controlling the power. He needed to bleed it to reduce boat speed. Helm hadn't a chance there .

Easily avoidable.

If you don’t have a hot tub in your cockpit in this day and age, why are you even bothering?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

giphy.gif

So a rejuvenated harbour and marina for Balbriggan?

Not really much in the way or details or plans, only this sketch;

BalbrigganHarbourPlanNov2018_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-887801

10 reasons sailing is the best sport in the world :D

https://livesaildie.com/10-reasons-sailing-is-the-best-sport/

Dredging to start this week in Malahide, expected to last about a month.

• Advertisement

Dredging to start this week in Malahide, expected to last about a month.

How come malahide dredge every few years but it takes years for howth to get 1 dredging in 30 odd years even approved never mind getting a dredger in

Advertisement