Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Well done lads. Yes gave it year best but came up short. Joe's likes will never be seen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,927 ✭✭✭threeball

O.A.P wrote: »
    Limerick were better its that easy to understand .
    I wish them well 1973 I think when they got Liam and they wanted it back today fair play to them .
    Galway came up against a team that had a mission and were well beaten really.

Far from that simple. If Galway half showed up today they'd have beat limerick but that was the worst performance I've seen from them in 4 or 5yrs. I've never seen a Galway team look so lifeless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Replay took it out of us gmc daithi and Hanbury carrying knocks, forwards couldn’t get going, limerick had more bite, gifting three goals( common trend in every game since last year against dublin)
    Last year our stars aligned this year it was limerick,
    Bit of tweaking is required some players bit too comfortable, more competition for places
    More smarter gameplan when wil do it and i promise that.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Better team one today. No arguments there. Limerick much sharper and tuned in and should have won by much much more. The pity is the game plan seems to have regressed since last year. Route one into Glynn and forwards seem to be ploughing lone furrows again. So proud of the fightback. It scared the **** out of every limerick person around me and was a credit to the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭brendanwalsh

Glynn was lifeless today until the last ten minutes. Can he really keep up this malarkey of commuting from America to play hurling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Glynn was lifeless today until the last ten minutes. Can he really keep up this malarkey of commuting from America to play hurling.

He's not commuting all summer. He's been here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

But he hasn't been this year. He has been home with a few trips to the U.S for a few days when it was necessary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Fairly gutless performance until injury time all being said. Think we badly need lads like Loftus, Killeen, Concannon etc to be proper battling for starting spots so lads like Coen and Conor Cooney don't get as comfortable in the first 15 spot as they are this year.

Limerick were 7/8 points better today. They were so sharp for 65 minutes.

Bad day but a good season prior. They didn't have the hunger to do 2-in-a-row.

Tactically destroyed too. Whether it was keeping Conor Cooney on as long as he was or the terrible puckouts we didn't deserve to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

Limerick didnt let galway play the way galway wanted to play .
    That why galway look dead in the water .
    And maybe limerick also could have been better .
    Cant begrudge limerick , now there .
    When it was galway last year , we all back ye.
    Stop the moaning and be a good sport .
    Well done limerick and we all hope for waterford next year .
    Its all good for hurling

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

threeball wrote: »
    O.A.P wrote: »
    Limerick were better its that easy to understand .
    I wish them well 1973 I think when they got Liam and they wanted it back today fair play to them .
    Galway came up against a team that had a mission and were well beaten really.

Far from that simple. If Galway half showed up today they'd have beat limerick but that was the worst performance I've seen from them in 4 or 5yrs. I've never seen a Galway team look so lifeless.
    Limerick were all over them . They weren't allowed to play . Fair play to Limerick Should have won by more

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

kerry cow wrote: »
    Limerick didnt let galway play the way galway wanted to play .
    That why galway look dead in the water .
    And maybe limerick also could have been better .
    Cant begrudge limerick , now there .
    When it was galway last year , we all back ye.
    Stop the moaning and be a good sport .
    Well done limerick and we all hope for waterford next year .
    Its all good for hurling

I just read the last page of posts and didn't see a single person moaning or begrudging Limerick. This is a Galway GAA discussion thread so naturally people are going to discuss where it went wrong for Galway.

I think it's ironic a person from Kerry telling Galway people what's good for hurling. You have contributed as much to hurling as Kilkenny have to football.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭bike2wkr

Limerick the better hungrier team. Galway off the boil. Not clicking fully for most of championships. Carrying a few passengers. Joe canning and Padraig mannion and a few digging them out time and again.
    More competition for places needed. Also long ball route to Glynn didn't work. He was too isolated. Ironically it was whelan who caught a ball in full forward and buried it.

Vinnie222 wrote: »
    Limerick were all over them . They weren't allowed to play . Fair play to Limerick Should have won by more

I'm afraid that's completely incorrect and anyone that knows an ounce about the game could see that Galway were operating at less than 50%. Have you ever seen this team to fail with their first touch down to a man. Mcinerney could barely jog, hanbury not much better. They were dead from minute one to 71. Limerick should have been out of sight but weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

Mac_Lad71 wrote: »
    Galway were poor but two of their goals should have been frees out. He should have dealt out a few cards too. It's infuriating watching a sport and not seeing the rules implemented consistently.

Genuinely think he's a very poor referee.

Galway weren't Google enough in the middle of the park for the 2nd quarter in particular but when Limerick are more mobile you have to adjust we should be isolating matchup inside, if they want to double mark anyone then we've free bodies. MD not quick enough to react imo.

As a neutral I’d have to agree with you on the referee.
    Push in the back in the lead up to first goal and I counted 8 steps in the act of scoring the second.
    The only thing I’d praise him for was the amount of time he added on as every time Galway had a score which threatened to turn the game in their favour a Limerick player went down requiring treatment, a tactic they’ve been using all year.

Probably correct on the added time but your not neutral. Canning slowed up the semi against Clare as did others so let's park that.
    Limerick played well today and were 8 to 10 better than Galway on the day. The weight of history and a half decent comeback whittled down the score.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭BloodyBill

As it's a Galway thread and Im a Clareman I would make a few points.

1. Sideline was way too slow to act today.
    2. Backs were cleaned on low ball and McInerney wasn't fit
    3. Limerick hammered the hammer and actually bullied ye physically
    4. Galway are still naive or green or fair sports men. ..Would Tom Morrissey get that goal against anyone else.? No he would have been hauled down outside the square.
    5. Limerick had a better plan and tactically killed ye. You guys reley on superior skill to win. Those days are over. You need brains

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

BloodyBill wrote:

BloodyBill wrote:
    1. Sideline was way too slow to act today. 2. Backs were cleaned on low ball and McInerney wasn't fit 3. Limerick hammered the hammer and actually bullied ye physically 4. Galway are still naive or green or fair sports men. ..Would Tom Morrissey get that goal against anyone else.? No he would have been hauled down outside the square. 5. Limerick had a better plan and tactically killed ye. You guys reley on superior skill to win. Those days are over. You need brains

That's for your contribution. Lacking brains? I'd love to know what you think of your Clare team when Galway were out on their feet with five All Stars sitting in the stand and yet ye couldn't put us away. Galway haven't been great this year. And saying that as Leinster champions and All Ireland Finalists is no mean feat. Of everything you said lacking brains is not an issue. Mistakes are made. You've got to accept it will happen. Our brains kept us unbeaten for two years. They don't disappear after one poor outing.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Pocaide

Nothing to do with the Clare match, contributor was giving is opinion on today's match. In fairness he makes some valid points.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Pocaide wrote: »
    Nothing to do with the Clare match, contributor was giving is opinion on today's match. In fairness he makes some valid points.

Point 5 is utter shıt tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Pocaide wrote:

My issue was point five. I think I made that clear. Utter bull.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

One thing for certain is it what won’t take us five years to get back to Croke Park

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

leestone wrote: »
    One thing for certain is it what won’t take us five years to get back to Croke Park

Cork, Kilkenny, Tipp, Waterford back in the mix next year.

2018 will be seen as one that got away.

djPSB wrote: »

100% left that one behind us. Hard to know how the whole thing was so lethargic from start to 70 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭MfMan

Have to say I was often more disappointed after a defeat. I was very disappointed in the performance, but in truth our last really good game was away to Wexford. There was a malaise and lethargy that set in round about the Dublin game that never went away or was rectified since. We were in truth quite lucky to be in the final yesterday as we were running on empty late in the day against Clare. We met a Limerick team yesterday that matched us physically, out-ran us on the ground, had a better gameplan and more hunger. Simply put they were easily 9 points better than us. We weren't playing well enough at any stage to put a flow of scores together to generate momentum and I don't actually think Limerick's goals were of major significance, they would have won anyway I feel.

The mistakes and shortcomings shown yesterday were evident for a lot of the year;
    *poor passing

* poor touch (e.g. Tuohy running out over the ball that cost us Lk's last point)

* carrying the ball out of defence and being overturned (again Tuohy unfortunately)

* tactically too narrow with route one down to Glynn being a lot of our gameplan, no balls played into space in front of the forwards as Limerick were able to do

* forwards too inconsistent, unfortunately Conor Cooney the biggest transgressor here

* not enough better options off the bench to replace players who weren't fully fit

* conceding preventable goals

I'm sure MD and the team are smart enough to reflect and analyse back on the year and broaden our approach next season. I salute them and the wonderful players for giving us a great 2/3 years and hopefully we'll make as big a mark again in 2019. Final word to JC who once again was immense; the roar that went up when he absolutely buried the free nearly took the roof off and you'd want nobody else standing over that last free to save your life. So be it. He's our Ring, our Mackey, the best we've ever had.

Final, final word to Jeff Lynskey and the great Minors who put in a storming second half performance to win once again the Irish Press cup. Was it our narrowest winning margin all year? 25/30 years ago it would have been unthinkable to beat KK minors twice in the same year and retain the cup. Long may this rate of progress continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johndeff2017

Great summary MfMan....... Think you are right about the malaise setting in around the Dublin game ....... we needed more options of the bench who would could make a difference and they should have to be introduced earlier to try and stop the Green tide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭cosatron

well said mfman. You said it all. Biggest disappointment for me was that limerick only scored 2 points from frees and Micheal's obvious lack of faith in his bench. After 10 mins it was obvious GMAC and hanbury were struggling with there perspective injuries and no move was made and in the end cost us dearly as Flanagan and hayes ran the show and truth be known Kiely taking off Flanagan and O'Donavan let us back into the game.
    I also think limerick coming back from 7 points down in the stadium to beat us gave them great belief for the year to come and was the makings of this team.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

BloodyBill wrote: »

1. Sideline was way too slow to act today.
    2. Backs were cleaned on low ball and McInerney wasn't fit
    3. Limerick hammered the hammer and actually bullied ye physically
    4. Galway are still naive or green or fair sports men. ..Would Tom Morrissey get that goal against anyone else.? No he would have been hauled down outside the square.
    5. Limerick had a better plan and tactically killed ye. You guys reley on superior skill to win. Those days are over. You need brains

Well said,i really expected Galway to push on from last year. Putting back to backs is obviously incredibly challenging and let's face it, days like yesterday only go to emphasise just how good that Kilkenny team of 06-15 was...(as a Tipp man you get used to the crushing final defeats but you have to admire enormously!) Galway were definitely lacking options on the bench and didn't really hurt smart yesterday,that was their downfall. Limerick had some atrocious wides and certainly nerves played their part,but having been there,an 8 point lead for Limerick at HT wouldn't have flattered them at all.
    Flanagan should have rounded Skehill and that would have been a comfortable win,but Canning and Mannion are outstanding players.Kept them in it. Galway will definitely make last 4 if not final next year and will be keen to atone for this defeat. The manner of the defeat will hurt most.Limerick totally bossed it,despite only winning by a point it felt like a much greater margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭RayVaughan1984

djPSB wrote: »

Would fancy Galway to roar back into it. Their forward line didn't really function today,but Limerick deserve enormous credit. They played so intelligently and while their shooting wasn't the best,Gillane and co were dangerous and out in front all day. Worrying times for Tipp in Munster!But couldnt be happier for Limerick,long time suffering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

MfMan wrote: »
    The mistakes and shortcomings shown yesterday were evident for a lot of the year;

* carrying the ball out of defence and being overturned (again Tuohy unfortunately)

This. It has wrecked my head over the past few games. Corner backs with loads of time deliberately running into contact. Madness. I don't care if there aren't obvious options - pass it quick or send it long. It cost us dearly yesterday. Limerick were ready to pounce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭kerry cow

bfa1509 wrote:
    I think it's ironic a person from Kerry telling Galway people what's good for hurling. You have contributed as much to hurling as Kilkenny have to football.

bfa1509 wrote:

bfa1509 wrote:

You do know where i am from .
    You seem to be the type of person who judges a book by its cover .
    Who said i wasn't raised in eyre sq ! So please stop the personal insults considering you opened .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭muddle84

bfa1509 wrote: »
     You have contributed as much to hurling as Kilkenny have to football.
    Not true. Kilkenny don't even have a football team. Kerry do have a hurling team and have a few trophies to their name also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement