Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford City Restaurants (2010 - Present)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

I think Momo is fantastic, delicious food, friendly staff and great atmosphere. Same with Sheehan's on the Quay. Have said this before but Pepper's is just fantastic and also really like Sabai Thai Restaurant. Bellisimo on the Dunmore Road has always been good too.

I never saw the attraction of Mcleary's or La Boheme to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Zuni in KK is fantastic in terms of the food quality, theast time I was there though ended up leaving quite a bad taste in my mouth due to an issue with the management so don't think I will ever return.

I like Kyoto, wasn't aware Royal Garden had taken sushi off, must not have been a big seller? Pa pa thai and Sabai are good, at this point the only issue I have is I find the menu a bit dated in Sabai. Pretty sure I've had everything on the menu and it hasn't changed since it opened.

Sheehan's has a good rep but I haven't eaten there, I found the bay tree a tad overrated and overpriced for what it is. Different though which was interesting.

Never got the appeal of mclearys, espresso is good for casual dining in my experience. In terms of Indians I have a voucher for peppers I really should use, always been a fan of EastEnders take away and I ate in bell pepper rewntly and it was good and plentiful

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Sheehans is very nice. Do a savage breakfast in there as well. Had slice pizza out by Oscars last week very nice and it seems to be doing a good trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Zuni in KK is fantastic in terms of the food quality, theast time I was there though ended up leaving quite a bad taste in my mouth due to an issue with the management so don't think I will ever return.

I like Kyoto, wasn't aware Royal Garden had taken sushi off, must not have been a big seller? Pa pa thai and Sabai are good, at this point the only issue I have is I find the menu a bit dated in Sabai. Pretty sure I've had everything on the menu and it hasn't changed since it opened.

Sheehan's has a good rep but I haven't eaten there, I found the bay tree a tad overrated and overpriced for what it is. Different though which was interesting.

Never got the appeal of mclearys, espresso is good for casual dining in my experience. In terms of Indians I have a voucher for peppers I really should use, always been a fan of EastEnders take away and I ate in bell pepper rewntly and it was good and plentiful

That's unfortunate about Zuni... Been there a lot and always got on well.

Yeah, Royal Garden didn't give any reason when I asked other than it was gone. Thai isn't an option for us unfortunately due to the prevalence of peanuts in their cuisine (severe allergy in the family)

Sheehan's is nice any time I ate there but wouldn't consider it somewhere special either. Must try the breakfast though based on the above recommendation

Espresso, or Azzuro out in Dunmore I think are top notch for what they offer. Great for a family meal too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭dzilla

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Ye baxtards after making me order takeaway from Burzza lol
    recession is over in your gaff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Always found L'Atmosphere very good and Bodega is bomb proof no matter when you go there. Not into burgers. La Boheme is very nice for a special occasion and the new Everett's in High Street has stunning food and is well worth a try. Café Goa is also very good. Loko on Dunmore Road excellent for group and Bellissimo also very nice. Have not been in Emiliano's for a while but is always packed. Best Italian around for pizza or pasta is Antichi Sapori. Real Italian food and real Italian pizzas. It seems that regardless of choice though that some posters believe "far away hills will always be greener". Maybe that's the nature of the restaurant trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭poppies2

azimuth17 wrote: »
    Always found L'Atmosphere very good and Bodega is bomb proof no matter when you go there. Not into burgers. La Boheme is very nice for a special occasion and the new Everett's in High Street has stunning food and is well worth a try. Café Goa is also very good. Loko on Dunmore Road excellent for group and Bellissimo also very nice. Have not been in Emiliano's for a while but is always packed. Best Italian around for pizza or pasta is Antichi Sapori. Real Italian food and real Italian pizzas. It seems that regardless of choice though that some posters believe "far away hills will always be greener". Maybe that's the nature of the restaurant trade.

Love L'Atmosphere too, their early bird is great value.

azimuth17 wrote: »

Yeh would agree with that .Have family in Kilkenny who loving coming to Waterford for grub and nights out. They complain about places in Kilkenny that people rave about here. Familiarity breeds contempt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

lassykk wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Copper Hen and the Cliffhouse are just as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Copper Hen and the Cliffhouse are just as good.

Cliff House is likely as good just the wrong side of the city for us.

Copper hen was lovely when I ate there alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

L'athmosphere is one of the best i think.

Iv been to Momo a few times, my wife and I just cant see the attraction. The food always seams way to overcooked and ingredients seam poor quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Whatever about the quality of the burger, that's a personal preference thing (I know people who love them and hate them!) so I won't argue but I know for a fact the chips are not frozen.

Revolution I’m on about definitely not burzza! Homemade chips in burzza. Oven chips in revolution. Same price for a burger - I know where I’m going....

lassykk wrote: »
    That's unfortunate about Zuni... Been there a lot and always got on well.

Yeah, Royal Garden didn't give any reason when I asked other than it was gone. Thai isn't an option for us unfortunately due to the prevalence of peanuts in their cuisine (severe allergy in the family)

Sheehan's is nice any time I ate there but wouldn't consider it somewhere special either. Must try the breakfast though based on the above recommendation

Espresso, or Azzuro out in Dunmore I think are top notch for what they offer. Great for a family meal too.

I second that recommendation for the breakfast at Sheehan’s. Delicious, jumbo sausages, a proper egg, the works, craving it since I had it. Perfect for a Saturday morning. Can’t remember the value but pretty sure it was very reasonable.

Where’s the best carvery in Waterford? My vote goes to the Granville 100000% !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,025 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Revolution I’m on about definitely not burzza! Homemade chips in burzza. Oven chips in revolution. Same price for a burger - I know where I’m going....

I do know what you're on about but I'm not certain you do :D

As I said I know for a fact they don't have frozen chips, they share the same veg man and get the same potatoes from him!

Certainly not frozen/oven chips. Was it you said the Burzza buns were Aldi buns or was that a different poster as that is obviously incorrect also.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Baby4

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Baby4 wrote: »
    My family and I ate in Emilianos last weekend. It was a couple of years since I'd been there - and they didn't disappoint! The restaurant was buzzing, the food was excellent. The service was good too, I find the waiters there to be entertaining!

We paid €40 each (for ease of splitting the bill) and there were 8 starters, 9 mains, 4 desserts, 2 cappuccinos, 2 Irish Coffees, 3 decent bottles of Red Wine, and about 10 pints. €360 in total for the bill, including a tip.

It was a really enjoyable night.

On a sidenote, it's a great location for a night out, as there are so many pubs in walking distance. We opted for Jordans and then The Reg.

Would definitely be my ‘go to’ restaurant for a nice meal in Waterford. Not too formal but food is always great, as is the service. It’s always busy and books up quickly for weekends which tells its own story too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Boooourns

sillysocks wrote: »
    Would definitely be my ‘go to’ restaurant for a nice meal in Waterford. Not too formal but food is always great, as is the service. It’s always busy and books up quickly for weekends which tells its own story too.

Do the waiters get the tips in there? I think there was a time when they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭sillysocks

Boooourns wrote: »
    Do the waiters get the tips in there? I think there was a time when they didn't.

No idea! Am surprised to hear that, and would be surprised if it was the case. The staff all seem to be there a long time and usually that’d be an indicator for me of how well they’re treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭kuang1

Iv been to Momo a few times, my wife and I just cant see the attraction. The food always seams way to overcooked and ingredients seam poor quality.

Couldn't disagree more. Love momos meself.
    You can tell that the owners are doing what they love and for me at least, it shows in the superb quality of the food.
    Have you tried the ribs there? Gets me drooling even thinking about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭thomasm

Surprising to hear that, I have lots of meal and lunches in there and I've never had a bad bite let alone a bad meal. Did you mention to staff you felt it was overcooked ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

thomasm wrote: »
    Surprising to hear that, I have lots of meal and lunches in there and I've never had a bad bite let alone a bad meal. Did you mention to staff you felt it was overcooked ?

Yes I did actually. The answer was thats how we do it here! Its just not for me I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Can anyone recommend somewhere in the city or not too far outside it where I could get a decent vegetarian meal of a Friday evening? Sick of seeing even the posher restaurants having parmesan or pesto advertised as part of the vegetarian dishes and then try to tell me "but cheese is vegetarian" when I query. Last time I gave up and just went to Burzza, but I would like somewhere more fancy for the evening that's in it.

sillysocks wrote: »
    No idea! Am surprised to hear that, and would be surprised if it was the case. The staff all seem to be there a long time and usually that’d be an indicator for me of how well they’re treated.

Knew someone who worked there years ago and that was the case. Just wondering if it still was as i've never gone back in after finding that out although you make a valid point about the staff.

Boooourns wrote: »
    Knew someone who worked there years ago and that was the case. Just wondering if it still was as i've never gone back in after finding that out although you make a valid point about the staff.

Must be getting well paid as compensation or other benefits that customers wouldn't know about. Must be don't like talking about what they earn because its none of the customers business.

debok wrote: »
    Must be getting well paid as compensation or other benefits that customers wouldn't know about. Must be don't like talking about what they earn because its none of the customers business.

The customer is entitled to ask where their tip goes though.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭azimuth17

[FurBabyMomma[/B] You should try GIY at University Hospital Waterford roundabout. they open for dinner I believe and food is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

GIY is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

Ooh thanks folks, that's an interesting suggestion! Thought GIY was just a café. Will definitely look into it.

I do know what you're on about but I'm not certain you do :D

As I said I know for a fact they don't have frozen chips, they share the same veg man and get the same potatoes from him!

Certainly not frozen/oven chips. Was it you said the Burzza buns were Aldi buns or was that a different poster as that is obviously incorrect also.

Don’t have to use the potatoes for just chips. Certainly don’t taste homemade anyway. No I didn’t mention anything about burzza buns, they get theirs from walshs bakery?

You’re probably the first person I’ve heard vouching for revolutions food.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Don’t have to use the potatoes for just chips. Certainly don’t taste homemade anyway. No I didn’t mention anything about burzza buns, they get theirs from walshs bakery?

You’re probably the first person I’ve heard vouching for revolutions food.

Maybe he works there ;)

Advertisement