Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

grbear wrote: »
    The football match with Sligo isn't generating much buzz is it? I know Galway are heavy favourites but a few co-workers were genuinely surprised it was happening this week when I mentioned it yesterday. I suppose a lot of that is due to the understandable focus on the hurlers and their two big games but I can't remember such a subdued build up to a match for ages, especially considering people are excited by this Galway teams potential.

Agreed. Very low key alright!! I think a lot of supporters may be taking it for granted. 1/16 with the bookies.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Galway football team to play Sligo on Sunday. 4 changes and a few surprises

Ruairí Lavelle (Bóthar an Trá/Cnoc na Cathrach)
    Declan Kyne (An Fhairche)
    Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Ánna)
    David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
    Cathal Sweeney (Cill Ainnín)
    Gareth Bradshaw (Maigh Cuilinn)
    Seán Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
    Paul Conroy (Naomh Séamus)
    Thomas Flynn (Baile Átha’n Rí
    Eamonn Brannigan (Naomh Micheál)
    Shane Walsh (Cill Chloirín/Cluain Bheirne)
    Johnny Heaney (Cill Ainnín)
    Ian Burke (Corafinne)
    Damien Comer (Anach Cuain)
    Barry McHugh (An Creagán/Magh Locha

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Galway football team to play Sligo on Sunday. 4 changes and a few surprises

Ruairí Lavelle (Bóthar an Trá/Cnoc na Cathrach)
    Declan Kyne (An Fhairche)
    Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Ánna)
    David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
    Cathal Sweeney (Cill Ainnín)
    Gareth Bradshaw (Maigh Cuilinn)
    Seán Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
    Paul Conroy (Naomh Séamus)
    Thomas Flynn (Baile Átha’n Rí
    Eamonn Brannigan (Naomh Micheál)
    Shane Walsh (Cill Chloirín/Cluain Bheirne)
    Johnny Heaney (Cill Ainnín)
    Ian Burke (Corafinne)
    Damien Comer (Anach Cuain)
    Barry McHugh (An Creagán/Magh Locha

Biggest surprise will be if that team starts

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

They lined out as named against Mayo iirc. Although agree it’s hard to see that team doing likewise unless there is one or two injuries which aren’t public knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They lined out as named against Mayo iirc. Although agree it’s hard to see that team doing likewise unless there is one or two injuries which aren’t public knowledge.

Yeah, they started the team that was named v Mayo.

Kevin Walsh has constantly talked about building a panel this year and I get the feeling he is keen to utilise the panel. I suspect he is trying to do just that v Sligo to hopefully build some serious competition for subsequent matches. If that team does start, it seems strange to drop Duggan & Kerin after they both put in excellent performances v Mayo. Sean Kelly had a greta league and was unlucky to start v Mayo - probably being a bit light went against him v Mayo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Kevin Walsh has constantly talked about building a panel this year and I get the feeling he is keen to utilise the panel. I suspect he is trying to do just that v Sligo to hopefully build some serious competition for subsequent matches. If that team does start, it seems strange to drop Duggan & Kerin after they both put in excellent performances v Mayo. Sean Kelly had a greta league and was unlucky to start v Mayo - probably being a bit light went against him v Mayo.

Kerin is injured. Didn't start for Annaghdown for some reason was then brought on and came off injured again. Not sure about Duggan. He doesn't deserve to lose his spot. Other than that it's a very "exciting" team.

Kerin is injured. Didn't start for Annaghdown for some reason was then brought on and came off injured again. Not sure about Duggan. He doesn't deserve to lose his spot. Other than that it's a very "exciting" team.

Aah ok, was wondering about Kerin alright as it is the one change that you can say definitely weakens the team. Kelly probably deserved to start ahead of O'Donnell for the Mayo game and did well when he came on, Burke also played himself into a starting position with his performance v Mayo. Brannigan needs to be in there as he has probably been on our 2nd best player this year. They are good options to have anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,374 ✭✭✭basillarkin

Is duggan injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Borders no.2

Price is too dear for football. €25 for the stand and €20 for terrace is madness for what's likely to be a fairly drab game. Was cheaper for the hurling.

Good to see the squad has some options to choose from. Sligo have ambushed us in the past and the last two years have had some pathetic showings when fancied to win but Sligo don't look to be heading anywhere fast at the moment. Anything less than a relatively comfortable win on Sunday would be worrying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Is duggan injured?

Duggan is a strange one. Unless he's picked up a knock. He trained last week. You'd imagine he'd need the experience more than Conroy and lesser extent Flynn. Now that I think of it GOD was struggling in that club match too. Played a lot of it in the full forward line. Whether he is injured or not I feel Kelly deserves his chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭miocicmma

I want to see Galway absolutely smash Sligo on Sunday. I'm talking at least a 14 point winning margin. That performance against Mayo was not impressive. If Galway are serious about a Championship run, they need to be making a statement here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Why wouldn't that team start?

Acc to the Tribune Kerin came off injured for Annaghdown, Gary O'Donnell isn't up to this level anymore and Armstrong is a good impact sub at best at county level these days

Duggan is the only question mark, but he may have a knock. Tom Flynn seems to have gotten a lot of free passes from KW in my view, I'd have him much more down the pecking order. It really is a mystery Steede's lack of impact at this level

jr86 wrote: »
    Why wouldn't that team start?

Acc to the Tribune Kerin came off injured for Annaghdown, Gary O'Donnell isn't up to this level anymore and Armstrong is a good impact sub at best at county level these days

Duggan is the only question mark, but he may have a knock. Tom Flynn seems to have gotten a lot of free passes from KW in my view, I'd have him much more down the pecking order. It really is a mystery Steede's lack of impact at this level

Whatever about Flynn, Steede isn't good enough for inter county.

He offers little from open play and constantly does silly things with the ball at club level.

Outside of competing for kick outs he'd offer nothing and the bench mark don't bother kicking balls out there anymore.

Dont think Steede is up to it at this level either. However, he probably would have been given a shot if Corofin hadn't been so successful in the last few years. And then who knows what he may have developed into.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

Is the Galway v Wexford game on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

matt360 wrote: »
    Is the Galway v Wexford game on TV?

One of the Sky Sports channels I think its Sky Arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭matt360

McLoughlin wrote: »
    One of the Sky Sports channels I think its Sky Arena.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Handy enough win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭testtech05

Anyone aware of any extra buses from city out to salthill tomorrow like they had on last weekend for the hurling?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Handy enough win.

Joe is pure class. He’s way ahead of everybody else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭jay0109

testtech05 wrote: »
    Anyone aware of any extra buses from city out to salthill tomorrow like they had on last weekend for the hurling?

https://www.galwaydaily.com/news/traffic-information-for-galway-v-sligo-sunday-pearse-stadium/
    The 401 Bus will Bus service from Eyre Square to Salthill will operate every 15 minutes from 1pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Curly head wrote: »
    Joe is pure class. He’s way ahead of everybody else!

outstanding , hopfully the injury is only a short stint out , think dathi burke is also unreal the best full back in the country by miles ,

there is more then one all ireland in my opinion over the next couple of years heading west ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

outstanding , hopfully the injury is only a short stint out , think dathi burke is also unreal the best full back in the country by miles ,

there is more then one all ireland in my opinion over the next couple of years heading west ;)

Looks like limerick are the team to fear this year I’m mightily impressed by them so far.
    Big physical team that can hurl and are young enough to not give a fiddlers who they meet.
    They are the ones who appear to be closing the gap between Galway and the rest for this year.
    Tipp will still do damage so I wouldn’t write them off yet if the can get there act together

Galway lose 4 kick outs in a row with no movement and it booted long.

And there is the reason why we won't topple Dublin with KW in charge.

These are the margins you can't concede in Aug/Sept.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭spiritcrusher

To be fair Galway are cruising. Sligo unable to stop the movement of the forwards and the space they're creating.
    Delicious goal at the end of the half, set up by an outrageous pass by Comer.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Absolutely cruising today, some lovely scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Green Peter

And there is the reason why we won't topple Dublin with KW in charge.

Galway lose 4 kick outs in a row with no movement and it booted long.

These are the margins you can't concede in Aug/Sept.

Did you see any of the rest of the match?

Did you see any of the rest of the match?

Yes. I was at the match.

The kick outs are a continued problem.

Sligo won a mountain of ours and most were kicked to contests, about 75%.

It's not an issue playing a D3 team. It'll be an issue when we get to Croke Park/competition ramps up as it for the last few years.

If you think its a good idea to have no movement and kick to contests, explain to me why Dublin don't do it?.

There's such a lack of strategy we had the ref throw in the ball as Lavelle stopped and started numerous times.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

Donegal and Monaghan both go long and hope to win breaks at pace and exploit space. Winning a ball around the middle is far more valuable than Kyne for example winning slow kick out ball in the corner and the other team resets the blanket and we have to start handpassing around the middle. We have a lot of pace with Kelly and Brannigan when we do win it around the middle. Personally I agree I think we should be looking to go short every time and there should be far more movement from the backs but he's obviously happy with it and we won midfield today comfortably. We went short every time vs Mayo when the handy option was there. Lavelle had two excellent early kick outs to the wing we got scores direct from

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Its been a good weekend for us, Sligo was a potential banana skin and Wexford fancied their chances of beating the champs on their own ground.

Both teams are getting stronger as they progress it seems (hopefully any injuries are minor ones)
    Roscommon will be looking forward to teaching us how football is played but I think (hope) its going to be them that get the lesson
    The hurlers are going to meet an awful stubborn team along the line this year at some stage but who? and are Galway good enough to keep the momentum up and get to another final.
    I hope so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement