Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway GAA discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

grbear wrote: »
    Standout result from the first round of the club championship is probably Annaghdown giving Tuam an absolute trouncing.

They got closer to Corofin than anyone else last Autumn and they've laid down a real marker with that result.

Can't see Corofin being beaten but yeah Annaghdown might be the only side that has a chance to dethrone them.

Was just reading the paper and seeing results from the Leinster MHC.

It went completely over my head at the time but they took Down and Antrim into the province.

I know Galway got a 3 team group with the provincial runners which is an improvement but they have no second chance in that format while the teams in their group used theirs.

While the Ulster teams are in the lower tiers in Leinster it still provides an avenue to the provincial finals.

That's farcical that they were taken in while we get the same rubbish the seniors were getting when the qualifiers had groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Was just reading the paper and seeing results from the Leinster MHC.

It went completely over my head at the time but they took Down and Antrim into the province.

I know Galway got a 3 team group with the provincial runners which is an improvement but they have no second chance in that format while the teams in their group used theirs.

While the Ulster teams are in the lower tiers in Leinster it still provides an avenue to the provincial finals.

That's farcical that they were taken in while we get the same rubbish the seniors were getting when the qualifiers had groups.

They absolutely should never have agreed to that deal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Same team named for the Cats. Glad to see Concannon get another start.

Was just thinking, has Paul Killeen made any sort of comeback since his horrible injury last year? He was tearing up trees before it. It was against Dublin I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

macslash wrote:
    Was just thinking, has Paul Killeen made any sort of comeback since his horrible injury last year? He was tearing up trees before it. It was against Dublin I think?

Came on as a sub in the last round of club matches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭macslash

Came on as a sub in the last round of club matches.

That's good to hear, thanks.

Assuming things go to plan and Dublin/Offaly win one between them it could very well come down to PD if we lose one of the next two(and the winner loses in the KK-Wex game).

So here's hoping Wexford don't come close to 12 tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭jr86

Assuming things go to plan and Dublin/Offaly win one between them it could very well come down to PD if we lose one of the next two(and the winner loses in the KK-Wex game).

So here's hoping Wexford don't come close to 12 tomorrow.

Probably not the proper thing to say but I actually think the more matches they can get the better for this Galway side this year.

No harm at all not winning Leinster imho. It was a very rusty league campaign and given the mentally draining winter after winning the AI the extra matches could be ideal to get lads fully back into form

They'll beat Dublin anyway so top 3 won't be an issue. That said I do think galway will win tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

We did a good job on KK yesterday. I think we were probably lucky to finish with 15 men. McInerney and Daithi could defo have walked.

Great to see a bit of steel though. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Very good performance.

MD has a nice panel now with loads of options on the bench.

May need to freshen it up over the next two weeks.

• Advertisement

That was incredibly comfortable, Galway looked as if they never got out of 2nd gear. So many passengers on that KK side, Wexford should certainly beat them

We'll probably learn more about Galway next week but there's 3 matches now left in Leinster to give lads more gametime and for lads (midfielders in particular) to play themselves into form again

Its early days but no-one is really tearing up trees in Munster - it's probably a bit early for Limerick too

Unless Tipp can rediscover their 2016 form (they've been awful for 105 out of 140 minutes so far) I can't see Galway relinquishing their title even if they do drop off a bit from last year

Daithi Burke is surely the best defender in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

jr86 wrote: »
    That was incredibly comfortable, Galway looked as if they never got out of 2nd gear. So many passengers on that KK side, Wexford should certainly beat them

We'll probably learn more about Galway next week but there's 3 matches now left in Leinster to give lads more gametime and for lads (midfielders in particular) to play themselves into form again

Its early days but no-one is really tearing up trees in Munster - it's probably a bit early for Limerick too

Unless Tipp can rediscover their 2016 form (they've been awful for 105 out of 140 minutes so far) I can't see Galway relinquishing their title even if they do drop off a bit from last year

On yesterday's display alone Padraig Mannion would give him a run. Been good since he came into the team but now blossoming into a quite superb player. Midfield still not at full throttle but, like the Offaly match, David Burke came more and more into it as the game progressed, his tracking and covering back is excellent - an absolute thoroughbred of a hurler. Why was JC not nominated for MOTM? Terrific again yesterday, with some gems from play; Conor Cooney only got going in the closing minutes, well and all as he struck his points.

More later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭jacool

MfMan wrote: »
    On yesterday's display alone Padraig Mannion would give him a run. Been good since he came into the team but now blossoming into a quite superb player.
    He was my MOTM - did everything except missing one score in the first half. Credit to him when he got in the same position 5 minutes later he flicked it out to his left and put in one of the forwards (Corcoran?) for the score.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭danganabu

He is hands down the best full back in the country and because of that probably the most valuable defender in the game, but is no where near the 'best defender'

Nowhere near? Who are better?

I even saw him render Joe Canning virtually anonymous in a club game at centre back last year (which would have always been his natural position)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

danganabu wrote: »
    He is hands down the best full back in the country and because of that probably the most valuable defender in the game, but is no where near the 'best defender'

Who exactly is that much better than him? Paudie Maher is the only comparable I can see. Remember that Daithi's a very good hurler and is being wasted to an extent at FB, he'd be better out the field but does such a solid job he's put there

Nowhere near? Who are better?

I even saw him render Joe Canning virtually anonymous in a club game at centre back last year (which would have always been his natural position)

Cillian Buckley, Padraig Maher, Paul Murphy, Tadgh De Burca, Declan Hannon, Padraig Mannion, Noel Connors, Diarmuid O'Keeffe, Chris Crummey, Gearoid McInnerney...........all of course in my very humble opinion, sorry if I seem to have upset you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭MfMan

Cillian Buckley, Padraig Maher, Paul Murphy, Tadgh De Burca, Declan Hannon, Padraig Mannion, Noel Connors, Diarmuid O'Keeffe, Chris Crummey, Gearoid McInnerney...........all of course in my very humble opinion, sorry if I seem to have upset you!

Oh come on Dangan; Burke is better than Connors, Crumney, GMac on any day and currently better than Hannon, TDB, Buckley and Murphy. Mannion, as I've stated is consistently very good; Maher has had a great career for Tipp' but not without flaws; no great pace, not great to turn, has a tendency to drive the ball and lift the crowd but forget to deliver it properly, isn't suited to a central position etc. Daithi isn't flawless either but many in Galway believe he's already the best FB we've ever had.

He has (at least) one very simple but very great, nay priceless asset, -- he uses both hands on the hurl to lift the ball. Cost Cork the match in Thurles yesterday.

Why would I be upset, :confused:

I'm not even from Galway but am involved in club hurling here

I'm as delighted as anyone to see Mac's rise last year and he's proven to be a hell of an effective centre back but he's not in daithi's league, no way.

Most of the other names look like a case of just plucking out names for the sake of being contrary. Maher is the only one who I'd accept but as MfMan says he has his flaws too

Barring injury I've little doubt he'll pick up a 4th All star in 4 full seasons and yet there's apparently 10 better than him?
    MfMan wrote: »

He has (at least) one very simple but very great, nay priceless asset, -- he uses both hands on the hurl to lift the ball. Cost Cork the match in Thurles yesterday.

Yeah, a natural right hander of course, playing with the citeog

I think ye have both very selectively forgotten that I did say categorically that he is the best full back in the in the country and because of that he is the most valuable defender in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,014 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

I think ye have both very selectively forgotten that I did say categorically that he is the best full back in the in the country and because of that he is the most valuable defender in the country.

He's a better half back than basically every player you named also, with the exception of maybe Maher. Look at his 2015 season at wing back. You made a bold statement and are now trying to find silly ways of justifying it

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    He's a better half back than basically every player you named also, with the exception of maybe Maher. Look at his 2015 season at wing back. You made a bold statement and are now trying to find silly ways of justifying it

I simply offered an opinion, I apologise if this has caused so much trauma ;) ,you obviously have a differrent opinion and thats perfectly fine and valid, there is no quantifiable measure for comparing players on different teams against different opposition etc so it will always be a subjective matter.

FWIW I wouldnt have Maher at the top of my list either and he has plenty of expoitable deficencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

Joe Canning was absolutely outstanding yesterday. One of those games where just about every time he touched the ball he did something constructive with it. He is a Rolls Royce of a player at the top of his game. Motm for me also. But everyone played well. We held kk to two points from play. Remarkable effort. Delighted.

flatty wrote: »
    Joe Canning was absolutely outstanding yesterday. One of those games where just about every time he touched the ball he did something constructive with it. He is a Rolls Royce of a player at the top of his game. Motm for me also. But everyone played well. We held kk to two points from play. Remarkable effort. Delighted.

He is a truly remarkable player. It would have been a tragedy for him never to have won an All-Ireland medal.

That's not the first time i've seen him flick a players elbow too for the yellow card that he got. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Nettle Soup

Is Canning ok? He seemed to get a smack on the hand and went off immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭flatty

He is a truly remarkable player. It would have been a tragedy for him never to have won an All-Ireland medal.

That's not the first time i've seen him flick a players elbow too for the yellow card that he got. ;)
    He's been battered from pillar to post since he was a minor. There's no malice in his play at all.

He's been battered from pillar to post since he was a minor. There's no malice in his play at all.

There's no malice, just a bit of steel. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭Robson99

Should have been ahead of Conor Cooney in Motm nominations but P Mannion was our best player on Sunday. Superb throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

The football match with Sligo isn't generating much buzz is it? I know Galway are heavy favourites but a few co-workers were genuinely surprised it was happening this week when I mentioned it yesterday. I suppose a lot of that is due to the understandable focus on the hurlers and their two big games but I can't remember such a subdued build up to a match for ages, especially considering people are excited by this Galway teams potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

grbear wrote: »
    The football match with Sligo isn't generating much buzz is it? I know Galway are heavy favourites but a few co-workers were genuinely surprised it was happening this week when I mentioned it yesterday. I suppose a lot of that is due to the understandable focus on the hurlers and their two big games but I can't remember such a subdued build up to a match for ages, especially considering people are excited by this Galway teams potential.

No printed tickets for season ticket hokders either - just use your card. So it seems they are not expecting a big crowd for it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement