Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A random waffle thread?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

kokiyou wrote: »
    Yeah is it being shown anywhere in Limerick City?

McGettigans is showing it

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

McGettigans is showing it

Oh nice, do you know if you can walk in at 4am or the doors would be closed?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

kokiyou wrote: »
    Oh nice, do you know if you can walk in at 4am or the doors would be closed?

I imagine they would let you. I think they're charging a tenner per person.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Looks like the lanes will reopen soon at the roundabout by Northern Trust. Lines are painted and guys removing everything this evening.

One problem you can see now that the stuff is down is that there isn't enough room, looks that way anyway, for two lanes to exit outbound from the city anymore.

If so there will be accidents there because the inner orbital outbound is entitled to head out the link road to the motorway ordinarily.

Groody link road will benefit from the slip road but actually , looks, might be a negative for outbound traffic from town.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Berty wrote: »
    Looks like the lanes will reopen soon at the roundabout by Northern Trust. Lines are painted and guys removing everything this evening.

One problem you can see now that the stuff is down is that there isn't enough room, looks that way anyway, for two lanes to exit outbound from the city anymore.

If so there will be accidents there because the inner orbital outbound is entitled to head out the link road to the motorway ordinarily.

Groody link road will benefit from the slip road but actually , looks, might be a negative for outbound traffic from town.
    I was thinking this myself.

If they hadn't built a cycle lane that brings cyclists directly out onto a 4 lane road with no hard shoulder all of a sudden they could have fitted 2 outbound lanes, now it's as if they are moving some of the congestion from the Groody road to the Ballysimon Road outbound.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

There's only one lane now if heading from town direction!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Anybody else a patient of Dooradoyle Medical Centre? I'm quite happy with my GP there (and the practice nurse is lovely too) , but those receptionists just seem to be getting more and more rude. I have a couple of friends who are patients there too and that seems to be the general opinion. Surely it's not just us?

Over the years and on a few different occasions I've been struck by how rude they can be - I think they are very busy and then sadly mistake brisk efficiency and curtness with being sharp and short with their customers. Think they might also be family which gives them job security regardless....

Overall the place is a factory and can be very expensive - I'd love to find a nice local GP to replace them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭riverrocked

I have a great doctor but wouldn't recommend her to anyone as she would end up being over worked and I wouldn't be able to get in as easily as I can now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

With the schools back this week it seems to be taking an exceptionally long time to get down the dockroad.
    Toke me 50-55 mins the last 2 morning to get from Limerick to Shannon, whereas during the summer it would only take less than 30 mins.

Why can't your little ****s just walk to school like the rest of us did when we were younger?

And no, I'm not going to use the tunnell and give those ***** my hard earned money, I can think of a millions ways to better spend the €1000 per year it would cost be to use the tunnell twice daily.

/endrant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

davo2001 wrote: »
    With the schools back this week it seems to be taking an exceptionally long time to get down the dockroad.
    Toke me 50-55 mins the last 2 morning to get from Limerick to Shannon, whereas during the summer it would only take less than 30 mins.

Why can't your little ****s just walk to school like the rest of us did when we were younger?

And no, I'm not going to use the tunnell and give those ***** my hard earned money, I can think of a millions ways to better spend the €1000 per year it would cost be to use the tunnell twice daily.

/endrant

Because they don't live too near schools anymore and cycling is too dangerous? While I have no doubt that laziness and over-zealous parenting is a factor, bad traffic is very much a result bad or non-existent planning also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Vanquished

marno21 wrote: »
    I was thinking this myself.

If they hadn't built a cycle lane that brings cyclists directly out onto a 4 lane road with no hard shoulder all of a sudden they could have fitted 2 outbound lanes, now it's as if they are moving some of the congestion from the Groody road to the Ballysimon Road outbound.

That miserable sliver of a cycle lane has nothing to do with it. The slip lane was built as a condition of planning by the owners of City East Plaza. They clearly weren't instructed by the Council to carry out the necessary works to the existing embankment that would have enabled an extension to the merging lane along the Ballysimon road outbound.

The arrangement looks a bit of a mess. There still appears to be 2 lanes exiting the roundabout from the city but the left lane then yields to the merging slip lane. I can see certainly see this causing issues.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I found the traffic on Mulgrave St/Ballysimon Rd very heavy today at around 1pm. It was stop start all the way from the firestation to Childer's Rd, where I turned off. Would the schools being back cause issues at that time of day? Childer's Rd was moving freely, so it wasn't caused by the retail park.

iguana wrote: »
    I found the traffic on Mulgrave St/Ballysimon Rd very heavy today at around 1pm. It was stop start all the way from the firestation to Childer's Rd, where I turned off. Would the schools being back cause issues at that time of day? Childer's Rd was moving freely, so it wasn't caused by the retail park.

Funeral that you couldn't see ahead of you? All the delayed traffic moved on and then met itself again at the roundabout?

Today was an exceptional day for school traffic, always is especially at lunchtime as the infant's finish up.

Both parents want to be there in the morning and evening(first day really) meaning they could easily both be coming from different areas of the city clogging up the roads. One from home and one from work or both from work.

And I spend my days on the road driving my easy driving summer is now over.

Back to Newport roundabout gridlock it is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Probably the first day of school thing. I only passed my driving test at the end of June, so I guess I've been spoiled for the last couple of months.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Vanquished wrote: »
    That miserable sliver of a cycle lane has nothing to do with it. The slip lane was built as a condition of planning by the owners of City East Plaza. They clearly weren't instructed by the Council to carry out the necessary works to the existing embankment that would have enabled an extension to the merging lane along the Ballysimon road outbound.

The arrangement looks a bit of a mess. There still appears to be 2 lanes exiting the roundabout from the city but the left lane then yields to the merging slip lane. I can see certainly see this causing issues.
    Not only that but they have erected signage indicating that the right lane merges into the left lane, when it is in fact the other way around.

Hopefully this opens tomorrow - we could do with it.

I saw the sign about merging. It does make sense that the right merges to the left but it's further up where you've to pick a lane as the merge lane(groody) from the left stays in the left lane and the outbound city lane stays in the right until you change.

Zebra crossing in now painted just needs some orange beacons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So whats the delay on the opening of this slip road now ? are we waiting for a politician and some cameras?

"new slip road to bring 10 million to the City"

dashoonage wrote: »
    So whats the delay on the opening of this slip road now ? are we waiting for a politician and some cameras?

"new slip road to bring 10 million to the City"

There was a man with a van yesterday morning , flashing beacons etc doing something on the ground. It's look fine to open and must be close as the cones are gone from the ballysimon road outbound at least.

There was a man with a van yesterday morning , flashing beacons etc doing something on the ground. It's look fine to open and must be close as the cones are gone from the ballysimon road outbound at least.

It would be a shame if it wasn't open for this evening. It's been backing up beyond Brookfield Hall some evenings this week and I can see it going back further for a Friday evening

It would be a shame if it wasn't open for this evening. It's been backing up beyond Brookfield Hall some evenings this week and I can see it going back further for a Friday evening

Yeah I often drive against the queue and I just can't imagine being in it.

It would nearly be quicker to drive in towards town left at bloodmill and down bloodmill road to avoid it for most people if leaving from the groody area/Castletroy

• Advertisement

Yeah I often drive against the queue and I just can't imagine being in it.

It would nearly be quicker to drive in towards town left at bloodmill and down bloodmill road to avoid it for most people if leaving from the groody area/Castletroy

The Bloodmill Road is becoming more and more used in the evenings from what I can see - it's often just as fast as the Groody Road given the free flow slip at the Parkway roundabout and the usually quiet left lane going down the Childers Road. At busy times the green bus on the Groody Road can be a pain to get past too.

Be interesting to see how this slip performs as the lead up is quite short coming from Northern Trust

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I see they have removed the pedestrian crossing markings on the ballysimon road as part of project slippy slip road.

dashoonage wrote: »
    I see they have removed the pedestrian crossing markings on the ballysimon road as part of project slippy slip road.

Yeah they were burned off this morning - another delay in the opening.

Traffic was backed up beyond Brookfield outbound yesterday evening and backed up inbound this morning from Caislean na hAbhainn as far as UL. There was another queue down the hill appproaching Northern Trust. Slip road won't solve that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

Yeah they were burned off this morning - another delay in the opening.

Traffic was backed up beyond Brookfield outbound yesterday evening and backed up inbound this morning from Caislean na hAbhainn as far as UL. There was another queue down the hill appproaching Northern Trust. Slip road won't solve that

So its looking like a **** up so in simple terms is it ?

I take it we are all going on the beer when this slip road is finished?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭adaminho

I take it we are all going on the beer when this slip road is finished?

We can all meet up at the monorail station by M&S!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭JamesBond2010

adaminho wrote: »
    We can all meet up at the monorail station by M&S!

The latest in the slip road saga: an arrow indicating to outbound motorists from the roundabout towards the N24 that they need to form one lane has been added where the pedestrian crossing once existed.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Harambe

Slip road was open when I was coming home from work today around 5.30. Traffic didn't look to have improved much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,725 ✭✭✭✭phog

Road Works - Limerick Tunnel – N18

Please note that road works are due to take place on the Limerick Tunnel (N18)

Location Dates Times
    Junction 4 14th September 2017 09.00hrs to 16.00hrs
    Junction 3 18th to 19th September 2017 09.00hrs to 16.00hrs
    Junction 1 to 4 2nd to 4th October 2017 19.30hrs to 06.00hrs

9th to 11th October 2017 19.30hrs to 06.00hrs

A “Stop & Go” system will operate during the work periods.

Sections of the N18 will be Closed to traffic during the following periods:

Location Dates Times
    Junction 1 to 2 25th to 26th September 2017 22.00hrs to 06.00hrs
    Junction 4 to 2 27th to 28th September 2017 22.00hrs to 06.00hrs
    Junction 4 5th October, 2017 22.00hrs. to 06.00hrs*

Traffic will be diverted through the Tunnel on 5th October, but fees will not apply.

Any queries in relation to the above works should be addressed to Direct Route at 061 582 800.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement